Pokémon Academy: Ymora Region [OOC / Registrations Closed]

Chim

Here's a good example: Say Mudkip uses Water Gun on a Rattata. In your head, you know it would take out around 30% of its HP, but your opponent only says it only did 10%. Four Water Guns is a lot different than 10 to KO a pokemon. Using the 15% rule would likely make your opponent knock off 20% instead (5KO) which is a big difference.

Well, hopefully you people here aren't dickheads so you won't do things like that. c:

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never Again.

He goes into every fight guns blazing from this point on. it doesn't matter who he's up against; no one is allowed to be viewed as weak anymore in his eyes.

Anyways, I second the thoughts on the Damage calc. If we all fight fairly and use common sense and logic, it shouldn't be an issue requiring such a measure even with some of the tactics that will inevitably spring up during the course of the Story. Calcing should only be done if something is so extraordinary that it completely breaks the Bull Shit meter, and even then it should be up Chimchains final judgement on how things turn out.

@Stratos Mareeks monologue was cool and all, but if he gets a battle with Claude, he'll find playtime will have only just begun~

Oh god...

No Deity can save you! Not even Marcelos!

Technically he was not even truly "God" but let's dicuss that in our own relavant OCC thread, instead of disrespecting Chim by starting a lengthy convo on here about it, KK?

• Support Squad

Technically he was not even truly "God" but let's dicuss that in our own relavant OCC thread, instead of disrespecting Chim by starting a lengthy convo on here about it, KK?

Gotcha

Also, I'd like to point out a battle that Stratos and I had on the Mystery Dungeon RP as proof that a very good battle can be had without Calcs. However, I can see how this kind of battling can be more open ended.

Also, Relevant thing? Lolno, LET THE CHAOS REIGN!

Never Again.

He goes into every fight guns blazing from this point on. it doesn't matter who he's up against; no one is allowed to be viewed as weak anymore in his eyes.

Anyways, I second the thoughts on the Damage calc. If we all fight fairly and use common sense and logic, it shouldn't be an issue requiring such a measure even with some of the tactics that will inevitably spring up during the course of the Story. Calcing should only be done if something is so extraordinary that it completely breaks the Bull Shit meter, and even then it should be up Chimchains final judgement on how things turn out...

I'll admit, Robert wouldn't have it any other way. Heck, as soon as your Ariados battle ended, my mind had been thinking on how he'd react to your strategies, so BRING YOUR FORCE!( That is, if we actually end up battling.)

Gotcha

Also, I'd like to point out a battle that Stratos and I had on the Mystery Dungeon RP as proof that a very good battle can be had without Calcs. However, I can see how this kind of battling can be more open ended.

Also, Relevant thing? Lolno, LET THE CHAOS REIGN!

But you also have to remember: in that, we are the pokemon battling themselves. IE, it's not just standing around shouting orders; We were both directly fighting one another using our own physical bodies in the story. It's pretty much like a pure PVP or a street fight. We both had to restrain ourselves in the craziness of our tactics and make sure we actually took reasonable damage from each other's blow in order to prevent being suish...

on here... it's not so. Because it's something else doing all the fighting for you, that sense of needing to impose Self-Restraint in combat and action does not as easily exist. So it takes more conscious effort on the part of the player in order to reign Battles in to a reasonable degree and be fair in terms of damage taken by attacks.

• Support Squad

But you also have to remember: in that, we are the pokemon battling themselves. IE, it's not just standing around shouting orders; We were both directly fighting one another using our own physical bodies in the story. It's pretty much like a pure PVP or a street fight. We both had to restrain ourselves in the craziness of our tactics and make sure we actually took reasonable damage from each other's blow in order to prevent being suish...

on here... it's not so. Because it's something else doing all the fighting for you, that sense of needing to impose Self-Restraint in combat and action does not as easily exist. So it takes more conscious effort on the part of the player in order to reign Battles in to a reasonable degree.

But outside of the orders, we are essentially controlling the pokemon. I can see the point where it would be more difficult to impose restraint, but it can be just as easily justified by the fact that the pokemon is sentient too, and will protect itself need be. I exercised that idea in my battle with Notus where, at the end, Lancelot lost it by his own volition, dodged the attack and proceeded to attack Claude.

Stratos has a point. Not all of us (more like nobody) wants their PC to lose so, instinctively for some, some would try and do whatever it takes so that their PCs can win. We need to, somehow, restrain ourselves from going overboard to keep the story going and to keep it realistic.

I'm not going to lie: I have never done a battle with the turn by turn style before, but seeing how some of us write here does help me along. All I could say is, please tell me when I go overboard too. It is going to be a constant struggle between me trying to keep it real and me trying to make my character win.

In Shiro's case, Shun was the one actually doing something with the Shadow Sneak, and by her own will and idea.

In a battle, your plan/strategy/whatever always needs to have a flaw the opponent can take advantage of if they're smart/skiled enough. You can't have a bulletproof plan, even more so a plan you came up with in the heat of battle. Like with Shun's Shadow Sneak. I could've won if Turbo hadn't thought of a plan, but he did and Shun's plan backfired, ultimately resulting in Shiro's loss. I tried to get Shiro to win, but I failed.

Just don't battle as if you're an all-knowing entity controling the Pokemon. Battle like a 14/15 year old kid would.

That's all I have to say for now. :I

Stratos has a point. Not all of us (more like nobody) wants their PC to lose so, instinctively for some, some would try and do whatever it takes so that their PCs can win. We need to, somehow, restrain ourselves from going overboard to keep the story going and to keep it realistic.

I'm not going to lie: I have never done a battle with the turn by turn style before, but seeing how some of us write here does help me along. All I could say is, please tell me when I go overboard too. It is going to be a constant struggle between me trying to keep it real and me trying to make my character win.

I'm not sure who started the multiple moves in a turn idea, but it works so well and is kind of fun. I'm one of those people who doesn't care who wins. Don't worry, I'd say something if I though you went too far. (I'm pretty sure I called out K_H like 3 times). I kind of ran confusion early because I thought Venonat was Lv 8, but let's forget about that. I realized I didn't know WTF is this move even supposed to do. I went with the idea that it could temporarily halt your opponents and damage them. The nerf anime version let me use a very unusual strategy (hold the opponent in place while Zuko burns it) and would allow the other person to still attack next turn. I didn't want to say anything, but attacking Venonat (a sitting duck when using the move) would've been forced to release the opponent.

@Bfroger: It's kind of hard to judge a person's skill based on age. (I've seen some very skilled 8 year olds at very complex things). I do agree with having flaws. Yes, Henry had three major flaws in the battle vs Kenny. The biggest one was attacking Riolu with a -1 Def Tented Lens bug bite (which only did 5% for some reason).

Edited by commander218

I would say that to dodge more than 1/3 of attacks at similar levels is completely OP, a stage that could only be reached at a significant plot or character development point.

• Support Squad

Maybe that's where I'm not really understanding thiings. I don't see a loss against you guys as a failure right now. In the battle with Notus, I used it as a chance for developing Claude and Lancelots relationship and setting him a goal.

However, when it comes to sues, there's a few people here who seem to not have been in another Rp, so it may be that a few suish characters may be in play right now. We caught Commander at it a bit earlier, hopefully this is not the case anymore, but a few sues kinda seems inevitable. Especially with this format, where we're pitted against each other and it's quite easy to get away with some bull with adequate justification.

With all that said, I have limited experience with RPing of my own, and I dare say my mystery dungeon character was almost as bad as a sue, so maye I shouldn't be talking of this.

When it comes to battles, there must be a compromise between both battlers. Depending on the qualities, characteristics, stats, and movepools of the pokemon is the outcome of the battle. Take the battle between Ryan and Murdoc. Feroces was hit hard at the very beginning without a single complaint on my part. Same with when Feroces attacked al'Thor. There was no miss. Granted, because I was new at the time, I had at first thought that it would burn but after logical thinking, a 5-10% chance isn't really enough to burn on one hit. From that point on, it was a matter of tactics. Murdoc tried to trick me into taking the bait while I decided setting up would do me well. After that, you would think an elevated 210 pound beldum would destroy a shinx when it's at about 64% with that much moment. However, to even it out, I used a tactic in which Feroces preemptively used fire fang before catching al'Thor in his mouth to deal damage and result in the KO's of both pokemon. In the end, we compromised that we both deserved to win the battle so it was a tie.

Basically, what I'm saying is, think logically. Don't say that your slakoth did a double flip, while pulling your enemy snorlax in the air and slamming it down for a 1 hit ko. Just use some logic, think about what a pokemon is capable of doing at that level. If it seems ridiculous, then don't use it. And don't dodge every hit thrown at you and make every status or side affect hit. Just think about it.

Maybe that's where I'm not really understanding thiings. I don't see a loss against you guys as a failure right now. In the battle with Notus, I used it as a chance for developing Claude and Lancelots relationship and setting him a goal.

However, when it comes to sues, there's a few people here who seem to not have been in another Rp, so it may be that a few suish characters may be in play right now. We caught Commander at it a bit earlier, hopefully this is not the case anymore, but a few sues kinda seems inevitable. Especially with this format, where we're pitted against each other and it's quite easy to get away with some bull with adequate justification.

With all that said, I have limited experience with RPing of my own, and I dare say my mystery dungeon character was almost as bad as a sue, so maye I shouldn't be talking of this.

It's hard for me to explain due to my lack of experience in Roleplaying too. I guess, if I use myself as an example, I tend to be protective? of my characters. I guess I don't want anything bad to happen to them. I was surprised, myself, that Danielle can be looked at as a bully because of her teasing (thank you for pointing it out Chimchain!), but I accepted it because it makes her more fun to use. Danielle was actually more fun to RP with than my first PC (Miki). Then again, that RP has yet to allow me to use her more so far.

The good thing is we have each other to critique one another (you know who you are), so we could ask one another to see if it's okay or not.

Also, I don't really find Roy to be that sue-ish. He's funny and well-liked, but he can also be headstrong and reckless, which can get on people's nerves. Some, I feel, may even be taken aback by his outgoing personality.

• Support Squad

I know that my first character was guilty of being sueish. If I hadn't run it by Hukuna-sensei, I would have embarrassed myself in PSS and My beloved Darius may not have been. Seriously, he had a super convoluted dark past, but somehow combined being a leader and a sadist at the same time as being trained in street fighting from a young age. Ridiculous.

Don't think I'm done screwing with Darius, BTW

anyways, I think that simply calling each other out when we go too far will be more than doable. there's more than enough people here with enough experience to point out things to those who might be newer to things.

@Dobby: My PC is a bit sueish, but I'm thinking of a few flaws he has. I guess what I have going for me is that Henry is headstrong and tries doing things by himself (acts like a jerk to push people away). I do think he does know a little too much and I'll make him stop that. Since I ran a somewhat dark storyline, I'll have to use it, but I really like his dad as he's not what you'd think. Anything else you'd like to add since we're not too deep in the RP yet.

Edit: Currently, my PC is pretty much just standing in some random spot and will pretty much be doing that until Danielle vs Jacob. Considering Shiro has them occupied, I have plenty of time to see what I need to do to tweak my character.

Edited by commander218

you uh... you kinda hit a bit of a sore spot with Mareek there, Exlink...

Think about it though... Where the ever loving fuck were the International Police during the time of the Rockets? why was, out of all the agents an international organization would logically have in it's ranks, only ONE guy was sent to kanto to investigate? If they posed such a threat that you were willing to actually send anyone after them at all, then why didn't you send more than ONE man!?

Global_Police_agent.pngyeah... well if you're an agent, why the hell are you telling me? what If I was a rocket in disguise?

Now then... I'm not much one for scandal... but how the hell is it that the Rockets managed to just waltz up and take over Silph co.in the first place? They sent someone after them, so what the fuck happened!? Why did the law enforcement not have intel of this before it happened? The signs were all there; I'm sure that the signs of what they were planning were all there if someone had just bothered to look for them. For the love of jesus; The Terrorist even had a recruitment poster up in the Celadon City Game Corner! And not even that, but the secret button revealing the entrance to their base of operations was RIGHT FREAKING BEHIND IT. How did law enforcement not notice it? How is it that people just went "Oh hey, look, there's a recruitment flyer for a terrorist group." and then go back to gambling and not even report it? Again, where's the IP... in fact, where's any of the cops in Kanto for that matter? Oh yeah, you know the guys guarding the Saffron city gates? yeah, how did they NOT notice a bunch of Rocket members walzing right through into the city?

Just...just...WHY?

I'm sorry... I'm taking a Homeland Security course this year and it's kinda teaching me to scrutinize every mistake that could've avoided fully fore seeable disaster and asked why was it made... I'm done with my rant now though. anyways, that's how Mareek feels justified in blaming the IP for Silph Co. right along with the Rockets. the Rockets may have commited the act, but the IP pretty much let them by not doing enough to stop things in their early stages.