Personal Move Nicknames / actions

Quattro Staravia

When I play pokemon games I sometimes use nicknames for existing moves, mostly due to different medias or something like that. For example,

(High) Jump Kick: Rider Kick (Reference to Kamen Rider)

Blaze Kick: Kick Strike (Referencing Kamen Rider Wizard)

Volt Tackle: Either Ride the Lightning (Ky Kiske from Guilty Gear) of Voltekka (Tekkaman Blade)

Agility: Trans-am (Gundam 00, was trying to have it on a Pikachu named Setsuna, because he is Pokemon)

Now I know I'm certain I'm not the only one who doesn't do something like this (Who doesn't Ora or atata whenever they use Close Combat?) What are your personal nicknames for moves?

That would be a cool option to do now that I think about it. I mean, think about how cool your moves would sound if you nick-named them to something more badass. At the same time, I could see the potential abuse of this system but, c'mon.

Potential Re-Nicknames:

Fire Blast - Kasai (火災)

Blizzard - Yuki (スノー)

Thunder - Sandā (サンダー)

Pursuit - Lure

Drill Run - Kamina's Sprint

I have never done such thing as giving cool names to moves. The most similar thing I can think of are the following:

-I usually call explosion big finale. Generally in a phrase like "C'mon electrode, let's end the show with a big finale".

-With selfdestruct the thing goes in a similar fashion, but I call it "die for the team" or "kill yourself". Goes like "Koffing, die for the team".

-I tend to call any fire type move "flamethrower" or, more generally, just "blast". Use it on my Delphox on phrases like "Flamethrower'em/Blast'em Delphox"

-I think of thunder wave as been called only "paralyzer".

-Any ground type move, on my head, is called earthquake.

-Ice beam becomes "freeze" when my Froslass uses it.

-Revenge, when used by my Toxicroak, becomes Vendetta/Strike back. Usually like "Well Toxicroak, let's strike back"/"Time for Vendetta, Toxkro".

-Swords dance, when I actually use it, I call it "Summoned swords" because of that animation. Too much Devil may cry comes back to me with that single animation.

-Sucker Punch becomes "Fool, you can't touch this" if it hits.

And that's pretty much all. I never though about calling moves different names. Is an interesting concept.

Edited by zimvader42

I never did this but now that you say so I had these in mind sometimes/now

Bite/nom or munch

Giga impact/obliterate

Ember/Burn

hyper beam/Shoop dah whoop

and as last

Encore/Entertain me

because you know wy

Edit: (looks below)

zimvader what els......oh w8 focus blast with a slower poke perhaps

Edited by Cornerman

I have a lot of these, as in, I think to myself such "nicknames" and I start laughing like a silly kid while playing... However, they are all jokes in Italian, so I dunno if you guys can get them, but I'll try anyway:

1) The one I am most fond of is "Uccello Coraggioso" for Brave Bird. Explanation: "Uccello Coraggioso" is the literal translation of "Brave Bird" in Italian, however "uccello" is also the the word we use to indicate, in a rather vulgar way, the male genitalia, not unlike "cock" in English. So yeah, knowing this about "Uccello", and knowing that "Coraggioso" means "brave", "Uccello Coraggioso" would be... You get the picture.

2) Similarly, "TROPPOFORTE" (Yeah I think that in caps) for Superpower. "TROPPOFORTE" is the way Superpower was translated in Italian, but it literally means "Too Strong", so yeah, it is so cheesy and redundant I can't help but lough, and even when playing the games in English (I usually do), whenever I select the move I cannot help but scream "Go! Use TROPPOFORTE!"

These are the first two that came to my mind, I'll post again if I come up with more.

Dark Pulse - Angsty Waves (also called linkin park waves or crawling in my skin)

Nasty Plot - Dirty Thoughts

Follow Me/Rage Powder - Notice Me Senpai

Taunt - Yo mama jokes

Substitute - #Nope

Brave Bird - Emo Bird

Will-o-wisp - Troll-o-wisp

Focus Blast - Unfocus Blast

Beat Up - Group Rape

Punishment - BDSM

Lol to both replies above this one. Specially "follow me/notice me senpai", "taunt/yo mamma jokes" and "hp ice/how is this legal".

But I don't really know most of the moves mentioned...huh, I think I should actually have a look at them. To bulbapedia!

I like to name "confuse ray" the "trolling ray" because I hate this move so much, I have terrible luck at confusion :/.

There's also the common "stone miss", "focus miss", "hydro miss" etc.

If flail is used at full health, I remove the first "l".

Edited by Jean mi

Confuse ray / Supersonic / anything which induces confusion as it's main purpose = Oh c'mon! Are you serious???

Anything that (succesfully) applied confusion as a secondary effect = REALLY????? I call bull****!!

My luck with confusion is -1000000%

example:

Enemy used Supersonic, my Pokemon is confused... it hit itself 5 times in row without a successful attack or snapping out...

My Golbat used ConfuseRay -> Enemy is confused... enemy snapped out of confusion! enemy used Shockwave! CRITICAL HIT! It's Super effective! Golbat fainted!

• 3 weeks later...

I call Frenzy Plant "Japan Attack"

Bullet Punch is "Fuck It", actually whenever I send in Scizor it is "Fuck it, I'll use Blade"

Fury Cutter is "Please don't fuck up"

Dragon Rage (In the early stages of the game) is always accompanied by BWAAAARGH!

Edited by Damashii