Graterras Chapter 4: Shattering Realities. [IC]

Raindrop Valkyrie

Water welled up in the ranger's grey eyes-- no. No. She was done crying. In the silence of her home, five years ago, a little girl with hair like a black thundercloud and eyes like the down of a grey owl sobbed with nobody but her father's loyal Dire Wolf to stay by her side, to comfort her, to protect her, to lick her tears away as he himself whined softly when his Master didn't return home. Five years was a long time ago, and only a few days ago, she'd broken down again. Thank you. And I don't mind if you hang around in my mind at all, sir. It is nice to be understood by somebody, and you are a good sort. Pushing back Sorrow forcibly was Gratitude that emanated from the girl's heart, as she reached up and squeezed her sister's hand, drawing closer to her as well. The Illithid was right-- there was no way that the Forest would conquer her father's indomitable spirit, strength, and wit. Not even the beings, nor the legendary monster could take him down easily.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Akuma contains his laughter throughout the group's goofy display of antics as he tries to maintain his masculine pride, a warrior should not laugh in such goofy situations, despite of how hilarious and amusing it has been. The berserker took a glance at the Ogre once more and said nothing, his eyes seems pleased and was less bitter than before. Akuma divert his attention and set his eye on the road once again, reminding himself not get derailed from their main objective.

Edited by typhlosionrulez

((play until second spoiler.))

The Moon rose above head, it was now its turn to rule the kingdom of the sky. Its noble court, the Stars, danced at its it grand Party in the sky. The Stars were clearer in the Shattered Hills then anywhere else in the world. There were few people that lived here, so industrialization and overuse of Magic did not pollute the skies. The ones that had never been here wold have been awed by the brilliant lights that danced in the Heavens. It seemed like every star in existence flashed it's light for all to see. The Wilderness was still cloaked in darkness but, outside of the trees, a soft whitish-blue glow cloaked the scenery. It felt magical almost, as if the heavens reached down and touched the world with their holy light. It was said Lumabella and Tectaniteus were good friends, as she admired his unyielding soul. Maybe this was the outcome of that relationship between the gods, maybe this was it's mark.

Hawk's Roost looked beautiful in the distance. Defiant orange lights glowed in the distance from the windowsills of the simple homes. They pushed their soft warm glow back against the whitish-blue light. They danced together in a ballet of passion, of flame and starlight. The Flame's light danced vigorously in the sky, quickly darting back and forth. The Starlight merely seemed to toy with the Fire's light. It seemed aloof, uncaring, moving to match the Fire's Light, but not matching it's vigor.

Upon reaching the town, it was quaint as the next own in the Shattered Hills. The folk with simply, one with the earth they tended to. It was reflected in their homes, the thatching in the roofs, the wood in their construction, etc. The lights were still around for the farmers who were still tending to their fields, or at least packing it in for the day. The fields had to be ready for the harvests to come. Birds could be heard flapping around, probably owls at this hour. The heros met a man, a man of the land. He was dirty with the work of an honest day, and seemed friendly enough. "Aye, we got an inn. You will want to 'ead o'er to the Salt of the Earth. She be run by Old Greta, lovely ole gal she is. She will see to it that ye have yer tummies full and a good rest for yer 'eads." the man said, a piece of wheat bobbing up and down in his mouth as he talked. In the morning, it would be time to set out for Farreach, but for now the heros enjoyed their respite from their weary travels. The food was divine. Nothing like a good home cooked meal of a hearty stew and a good mead to get you back in shape after days of trail food. The beds were even better, it felt like heaven. A nice billowy cloud to lay your battered body and rest your tired bones.

((tonal shift in music.))

The next morning, they would have been awoken by the warm light pouring in through the windows. Upon further inspection, the inn was empty, it had seemed everyone had gone somewhere, as even the care-taker Greta was missing. What could be going on? It wasn't like an innkeeper to leave the place unattended. Something was amiss and it gave the heros a bad feeling. The air hung with a tension, as a small din could be heard outside. The sturdiness of the walls made it almost impossible for sound to leak through. They would have to go outside to get a further look.

Marcus stretched his arms and yawned, still sleepy, as he woke up. The little night walk they had made while arriving at Hawk's Roost was beautiful to the point of leaving him awake for some time at bed, remembering the glow of the stars. He had never seen anything like that, not even in the middle of the sea trip (specially because he was locked in his cabin most of time, but whatever), and it left a durable impression on him.

As the young man walked down stairs, however, he started to realize something was weird... By the time he noticed no one was in the inn, he was already fully awake and worried. Next thing he did was to race back to the rooms and knocked on the first door he found, calling for whatever of his companions that was sleeping there. "Hey! You guys are still there? Wake up, something is going on here!"

SOunds of voices got closer to the inn. one gruff voice came out over the others. It sounded gruff and wild. It was defiant, mad, and brazen. It was clear the Being thought it had done soemthing great by how much he boasted.

"So, Have we finished applying the Grave Earth yet?" it said.

"Y...Y...Yes, sir! We have already applied it all to the grounds." said a small voice, it was probably a goblin.

"Good, what were the results?"

"It swallowed the people whole....after we lured them out of their homes....it devoured their bodies leaving behind their minds and spirits. The Illithids the Yellow One sent already collected them into soul gems and have left, sir. However, the magic has shorted out, and it no longer is working. However, the tests went well."

"Great, maybe we really can weaponize this stuff. Hallow was really onto to something here. Need to remind that little freak she did well." he sighed heavily after saying this. "I hate apologizing, not my style."

"Boss?" said another voice.

"Who are you that you think you can address me pup?"

"I am no one, but isn't what we are doing here wrong, how can you lot live with what you did to these people? Our races will never be free if we keep doing this, the demi-humans will always hate us."

"HOW DARE YOU TALK BACK TO ME YOU FLEA-BITTEN GNOLL!!! YOU THINK YOU WILL EVER BE FREE FROM HUMANS? The only way to deal with them to is murder every last one of those gob-shites, and wipe out all their demi-human pals off the face of this planet! They will never except the downtrodden races, they see you as only a monster."

BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONLY SIDE WE EVER SHOW THEM!!!" yelled the Gnoll. "You are sorely mistaken if you think this is the right path Ashnard."

"You have been listening to Ishmael to much. That Knight is an idiot, and his ideals will never work. AND YOU ARE IN MY FORCES NOW!"

"I don't care, I won't change my mind!!!"

A heavy slam rattled the walls of the inn, quite a feat since they were made of solid brick. "THEN DIE WITH YOUR STUPID IDEALS!!!"

Screams of horror came from the gnoll, and then the gurgles of blood in his throat and then.....silence.

"Now finish up here, i have a meeting with a Ranger to attend. They say one fell into the place where the Titan's Skin lies...and we are going to have a nice long chat once I find him."

"Aye, Sir!" said the Goblin from before.

Sigurd had the most beautiful dream. He had found Aelia’s Shard, an awesome weapon that created violent storms and winds at his every command, and killed the Gentleman after a heroic and difficult battle. His companions were admiring him and at the end of a long hall stood Lady Aelia waiting for him with open arms. Sigurd almost reached her. Just a few more steps…

"Hey! You guys are still there? Wake up, something is going on here!"

A big snore could be heard followed by a smashing sound as Sigurd fell out of bed. He quickly jumped up, disorientated, and started looking around. He was still in the room he entered last night and by the drool on the pillow he could tell it was all a dream. A bit disappointed he opened his door. “What’s up, Marcus?” he yawned. “I had the best dream ever you know?”

Nero sat on the bed in his room, eyes closed and arms folded as he listened to the events outside. He'd been awake for a while now, though he hadn't left the room. He'd been thinking back to his childhood days, when he would run around the manor before his mother would find him and scold him with a smile. She had always been sickly, so he didn't get to see her much, and he realized now that his running around must have been a pain on her. Nero stood slowly as Marcus called through the halls, having already known that they'd have to take action at some point, but being unwilling to be the first response. He strode towards the door, walking down the hall to meet with the others without any particular haste.

Marcus heard the voices outside first in awe, and then in silent fury. So the machinations of evil worked even here, right under their noses, and they had simply slept through it? In rage, his first impulse was to run to the door and confront this Ashnard guy, whoever he was, but Sigurd and then Nero answering his call brought him back to reason. "Ssssshhh." He whispered to them, signaling for lowering their voices. "Let's wake everybody up, I'm not sure what exactly is happening but it seems something invaded the town... And things are not pretty outside for what I heard." Taking the lead there he went from door to door, knocking and calling until he got an answer.

While Sigurd's dream seems to be like a dream come true. The Birdman's dream is a bit far different from that, He seems to suffer yet again from a nightmare from his past that keeps hunting him ever since. "Why are you so weak!? if only you're strong enough to protect this village none of this would have happen." a shadowy figure keeps taunting him throughout the dream as relives his past. Akuma finally wakes up in colds sweat, clutching his head, as soon as he heard Marcus's voice. "Uggh its just one of those dreams again..when will i find my inner peace." the berserker said to himself as he gets up, fix his bed.. and went down stairs.

Regrouping with the others, Akuma was bewildered about what he saw, the inn seems to be deserted. "where are the others?.. most of all ,when's breakfast.... i'm starv..." Akuma was cut short in the middle of his sentence as soon as Marcus tells him to shush. The birdman nodded as he stays downstairs and waited for the others.

Edited by typhlosionrulez

All the awake party members felt a voice in their heads, they would have recognized it as Blue. However, after figuring out who they were Blue set a telepathic link between himself and Marcus. "Are all of you safe? A force of one of the Death Angels has seemed to have pulled up in the night. They took people away using some sort of Magic, and well, that isn't important, all you need to know is every denizen of this town is dead already. All of you are safe because I felt the influence in my mind and I concentrated on it all night to keep you all safe. Basically, I reversed the spell for all of you. I couldn't save any of the townsfolk....their minds weren't strong enough to withstand even with my power backing them up. The illithids are gone now, but an entire mixed force is occupying this town. We have to find some way out without alerting the entire force, there is no way we can fight this many elite soldiers. These are not like the ones you faced at Brinestar, they are the personal guard and well trained soliders of the Death Angels, or The Death Wings. I had no idea they had this much of a force in The Shattered Hills. I didn't figure them to send an army to find a single artifact, but they must really want it."

"The Death Angels, you mean the Gentleman's dogs?" Marcus said surprised, not realizing at first that Blue was talking within his head. And they killed all the freaking town?! A surge of fury went over to his head, and te very air around him heated up considerably. Dang... Thanks Blue, we owe you one. Can you fill the other guys in while I wake everybody up? Escapism was not exactly up Marcus's alley, except it involved burning the way out, so they would need everyone working together in this.

"Calling them dogs is understating it, because they would be more akin to Dragons. The Gentleman doesn't control them they are their own entities. The Gentleman barely holds any true power over them. It might even be possible to get some of them on our side if we paly our cards right, however not this one. I don't think he is a negotiating type." Blue said throughout their minds.

Nero frowned. So there were that many outside... As an illusionist, escape would be right up his ally. If he was clever, he could probably sneak right out if it were just him... However, he wasn't the only one here. The rest of the group would likely need his abilities if they were to all make it out. He sighed, placing his hands in his pockets as he waited. He was used to just looking out for himself, but it seemed that things were about to change.

Earth.

It swallowed her. The ranger tried everything-- keeping off ground, swinging and dangling from vines, but eventually even the Forest decided to devour her, right after picking the flesh off of a Dire Wolf's bones clean. Helzebeth was cut up all over, bruised in some places, now waist deep in the ground that seemed to suck her very soul first out of her body. The harder she tried to get free, the tighter the vines wrapped around her wrists and body, until soil filled her mouth and nothing but her hand was left sticking up out of the now still dirt, as though it had always been that way...

The Half-Elf woke up with a start, her face flushed, chest heaving as though she hadn't breathed at all in her sleep, as though she really had been nearly choked to her death. Hunter was already awake, his fur bristling even as he came over from Helzebeth's feet to lie by her side and lick her face reassuringly, like he knew what she had dreamt. Gently, the girl stroked her dear companion, sitting up, and smoothing his fur though her heart pounded and thrummed heavily. It was only a hunch of hers, and it could've been validated as she was on a quest for the Titan's Skin.

She was probably going to hate the sight of soil and rocks for a long time, after this journey.

"Hmm, It would seem they still have no idea we are still here. However, that won't last forever." Blue said into the their minds again. "I can't maintain this link much longer, it is straining me too much. I will keep one within Helzebeth's Mind when she awakens. I have been there a few times already so it is more familiar to me, and therefore easier to maintain a link. I will be waiting for you all on the edge of town. They think I am one of them at least for now. As the Other Illithids have left they believe I am an adviser they sent back to watch the progress and keep an eye on them. We have one chance here, I am going to draw them away as best I can and have them explain to me the process and use of the Grave Earth. You all need to make a dash for the treelines on the edge of town and hope you aren't seen by any lookouts. Once they have have given me a run-down on the Grave Earth I will make way for the South Road, we will meet at the Sorrow Spring. It is a day out and impossible to miss. Marcus, get everyone ready and then get out of there. You have little time, once everyone is ready tell me I will initiate the plan. You have no time to dawdle and certainly none to get anyone left behind. There will be no stopping once we start, and we cannot save anyone that gets left behind, no matter what. Do you understand me?"

((anyone can answer that feel free. Also, Blue already has one in all of your minds, so when you wake up you can just hear him talking, so everyone that is currently awake knows what is going on.))

Jupiter and Odin both came down to the main area now, both seeming to know what was up as they were both trying to be careful and quiet.

Dru stirred from his chair in the corner of the lower floor. He had thought he felt vibrations in his dreams... As though the Earth itself were screaming... he thought to himself, opening his eyes. He was surprised to see that Marcus had already awoken when he began to hear Blue's voice in his head.

Not good, he thought to himself, standing up. "Marcus, I am here," he said aloud, not bothering to respond to Blue's telepathic message. He was a sorcerer, after all; he had no doubt Blue knew that he had gotten the message. "We must make haste."

"Yeah, that's for sure Dru." Marcus answered the sorcerer. "But we can't leave anyone behind right?" The young Templar counted everyone already awake and once again knocked on the other's doors vigorously and called them. He wouldn't leave without Helzelbeth, Xavier, Oarloff, Abraham, Björn and Chauff, not to mention Dru's Dwarf friend.

He then turned to everyone that was already there. " 'k guys, let's get ready. Nero, you think you can hide us all while we run?"

"I'll do what I can," Nero answered bluntly. "My invisibility only works on myself, at least for now..." he muttered. "I... acquired that ability rather recently. I have a few other tricks that I can use for the group." He fell silent again, waiting for the others, and thinking of what he could do for the group. It would be tricky with so many of them, but not impossible.

Abraham knew better than anyone else, Oarloff was his son afterall. He had heard Blue's Message. He grabbed a small container, chock full of Oarloff's favourite food and held it near his nose, making sure the scent wafted into the big guy's nose. It was sure to work, because Oarloff could never say no to his favourite food even if he tried. ((by the way, Super you can choose what it is as Oarloff is your character.))

Xavier sat up in his bed after hearing Marcus's racket. Though his fellow Cinder Knight also seemed to tend toward flightiness, though not to the same degree as the Wind Templar, he sensed that this was serious. His brow furrowed in anger as he heard Blue's explanation echo in his mind. The elf quickly gathered his things, readied his blade, and proceeded downstairs.

The ogre's snores suddenly stopped. Instead they were replaced by a long hearty 'Mmmmmmmm'. It was as if his body recognized what was going on well before his mind. The ogre stopped moving, drool started to drip from his mouth and without opening his eyes muttered the phrase 'Chooocoolllaaatttte....'. Immediately after saying the word Oarloff's eyes suddenly opened. "Oh papa! You got me chocolate!" The ogre screamed loudly. Chocolate was a rare commodity for him, but when his papa brought it home Oarloff always loved to eat it. The ogre snatched the chocolate from his father and quickly ate it, oblivious to anything around him.

We can't leave you behind, Helze thought in her mind for Blue to hear as she grabbed her gear and headed to meet the others, Hunter following suit, though she nearly slammed into a wall as she was still in a sort of daze from her nightmare. Huffing in annoyance, she took her place by Jupiter and Odin, looking Marcus in the eye. "Is everyone here?"