Graterras Chapter 4: Shattering Realities. [IC]

Raindrop Valkyrie

"Ashnard? No idea, probably the Forest of Knives though, said sumthin 'bout a Ranger knowing where the Titan's Skin lies. Worst part is...that is why we are all here....but Ashnard just had to test his little pet project first. So Instead of doing the thing we were here for, the bastard decided to kill few hundred people. And now we are all stationed at the town Tectaniteus knows why....by the bloomin' earth I swear Ashnard gets on my nerves. It's like he just enjoys killing people. I promise ya, we ain't like that even if we are Gnolls. Don;t know about that pasty green bastard though." Cookie said pointing at Squirmy. He snickered, quite literally laughing like a Hyena.

"Oh shut it ya glorified Flea 'otel." Squirmy rebuttled.

"Oh, Hoodie...."((referring to Helze, Cookie likes nicknames....if it wasn't clear.)) Cookie said seeming to have forgotten something. "He ain't no person either, well he is but isn't too. Ashnard is a Werewolf."

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Werewolf... Perfect, she thought grimly, ignoring the fact that she'd been called Hoodie. Looks like this is the first Death Angel we'll be fighting. "So killing people and making the earth swallow them is his hobby," she muttered, obviously overjoyed that they were about to face a mass murderer. Not that it was anything new. "What else is this brute like? I don't suppose he's got a redeeming quality about him, or from the sound of it, you fellows would never have agreed to putting up with him."

Death Angel, Ashnard, Werewolf. Those were the only words Sigurd was interested in. He kept quiet because he couldn’t bring himself to trust these Gnolls as far as he could throw them. Their lips were too loose for his liking and when Helzebeth asked about Ashnard he decided to step in. He didn’t want to rely on the possible information they could gain from these guys as they could be tricking them. “Before you answer that I want to know something first,” Sigurd interrupted. “If you want to save your friend, why are you still here telling us everything we want to know? Surely you gain nothing from this and are just wasting time while Ashnard’s minions hunt down Curfew.”

"Because we ain't got no clue where Curfew is, and if we dash off in the direction he is headed or that you indicated, they will know something is up. You don't know these bastards like we do. They know Curfew is our guy and if we charge off. they will follow us right to him. They would probably be watching us right now if we didn't give them the slip." Cookie said sighing. "Besides Biceps, we have an entire forest of Gnolls we could alarm, if we wanted ya dead we have yer 'eads right now. I know you have been told all yer life that we be evil. But trust me, Gnolls are like any other race, we got good ones and bad ones. Victonari, Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Halfings, the list goes on and on, we all have the good ones and the bad. If Ashnard wasn't a werewolf, he would be a human just like some of you lot. So, remember that. Now, if ye have any more information on Curfew we would be much obliged. Also, take all that info as a gift. There are just as many of us that want Ashnard gone as you do, he has to pay for all the good lives that were wasted because he felt like it."

"Montebanke, Tiny go check out the woods, see what you can see. Squirmy and Skinner, go check out our lead. We will meet up by the ol' waterin 'ole in an hour." He said sending off his men. They looked reluctant to go for a second, but they got his game plan. "Now then, I will take any more info you got on Curfew, and you can get some more from me if ya need it. In negotiations, one must give information to get some. We got some time, Curfew ain't stupid. He would have had a plan."

Marcus scratched the back of his head through the entire conversation. So Grave Earth, Ashnard and Ishmael the Death Angels, some Gnolls who actually sounded more civilized than a lot of people he knew... He wondered if that was what Bartimus meant when he asked them about if the Gentleman could be right. At least one of his subordinates seemed to have a good mind.

"Sorry Cookie, but we didn't get anything more than the direction your friend ran to, at least I don't remember. Should we find him, do you want us to tell him to go to a meeting place or something?" They really didn't have anything else to tell the Gnoll, and the quicker they got moving again the better.

"Na, We will look for Curfew, our friends ((he is using air quotes quite abusively right now.)) won;t try and gut us at least as fast as they will to you lot. Thank you though. And really though, be on your way, I don't want anybody to get caught in this mess that doesn't have to." he said.

Should we find him, do you want us to tell him to go to a meeting place or something?

The Half-Elf shot Marcus a look, not really wanting to stick around too long... But if it would help them get moving... Then the Gnoll declined. "... Well, good luck on your search," she said, simply.

Oarloff decided to chime in. He had been silent up until this point, letting the others ask the important questions, but the half-ogre had waited long enough. He had never made friends with a gnoll before and it was about time he tried. "Oh me knows!" the ogre called out loudly. "They's can come with us. We can help them look for their friend and maybe they will help us find Miss Helzebeff's papa!"

"Na, I doubt your friends trust us Chuckles ((his nickname for Oarloff)). And besides, your group is a bit big would be hard enough fro you guys to sneak through without all of us loud louts tailing behind ya. I have a feeling if Squirmy and Montebanke were here they would agree though. They are always of the opinion more eyes are the better." Cookie said, pacing. He scratched his chin, "Chuckles, you just tell your lot to keep an eye out, and if ya see the bastard, tell him to meet us at the Ol' Waterin 'ole, he will know what you mean."

Helzebeth would now feel the connection to Blue vanish abruptly. It was probably just that he was too far away...but there was no way to be sure. He said to met him further down the road at Sorrow's Spring, Weird.....they were also meeting at a point of Water like the gnolls planned to do.

Dru nudged Helzebeth gently, indicating his burning desire to get the hell away from the Grave Earth. He then spoke up once more, offering a smile to Cookie. "I think we'll take your advice now and be on our way. Good luck finding Curfew. For what it's worth, I hope you find him before Ashnard's men. If he's as dangerous as you say, well... Let's just say I'd like to see to it that he doesn't stay around these parts much longer." With that, Dru beckoned to the rest of the group. "Come on. We'd best be on our way. Cookie is right. It's dangerous to sit here and chat like old maids."

"Alright, I will leave you with the Traveler's Prayer. It is gnoll tradition." Cookie said as he bowed humbily. He took a deep breathe. and then recited an old Gnoll Traveler's prayer. he did it in a voice that was almost like a song, a high pitched thrum came from his throat as he spoke. It wasn't a harsh sound, but one that seemed to be saying goodbye. It was beautiful, even when it was behind the words. "May the gods guide your feet, so that you might reach your destination. May they stay the pains of hunger and the dangers of the trail. May they keep back the beasts, the monsters, and those that mean harm. May they bring good weather, and beautiful skys. Walk with the conviction of the traveler, for your feet guide you to many mysteries, and many wonders. Hold your head high, for you who journeys the land to see it many treasures and many sores. Traveler, let the gods hold you safe while you walk to see the world now be born from the curiosity of the world, and may you take it, and mold it into the shape you see fit. Go, for now you are blessed in the eyes of the world." he took from his pocket a small batch of powder. He blew it into the wind. It fluttered away, strangely in the direction the group was headed. He then poured a small amount into his hand. And threw it over the party. He bowed once more. "Go now, and I hope we meet after all this is done, it would be nice to have met under nicer times, one where you wouldn't have to doubt my character, and I wouldn't have to doubt yours." He turned now to leave.

Something faded from her mind. "Blue?" she mouthed, as the name echoed in her mind while she searched her thoughts frantically for the mental connection. A sprinkling of powder snapped her back to reality and she saw the Gnoll turning to leave. "And may the gods ever be in favor of you and your friends," she muttered back.

"Aye." was the only thing he said in response. Cookie quickly disappeared back into the forest almost as quickly as he had come up on them. He was probably a very adept scout, though it still struck Odin as odd that the Gnoll performed a Gnoll ritual for them. He wasn't sure, but the dust scattering was a bit much for a simple prayer. He didn't question it too much as Cookie meant well, so it was probably some thing his people believed in. The group was left in the forest alone now. They had but one goal, to reach the Sorrow's Spring the place where Blue said to meet him after escaping Hawk's Roost. It was apparently nearby the road to the south of Hawk's Roost, on the way to Farreach. If Blue said to met him there, it most likely was easy enough to notice if one was looking for it.

"Come on," was all Helzebeth said. The ranger turned and headed off towards Sorrow's Spring. The Gnolls... they were a strange bunch. All she'd heard about them and even seen sometimes were nothing but no good. Now the world was showing her something different... Like Blue, the Illithid.

" 'k folks, let's get moving quick... And keep our eyes and ears wide open so we aren't surprised by less nice things out there." Marcus said, ready for resuming the walk.

It took longer then normal to traverse the forested area even with guides who knew the area well in Dru and Helzebeth. It was a slow crawl trying to not draw any attention. It was hard considering branches, leaves and such were everywhere. Winter had passed and now it was spring. That was the good news. It meant less decaying and dry leaves on the ground, therefore, less noise. However, one still had to watch their step carefully. One tumble from unsure footing would make a crash some one was sure to hear. They traveled as close as they could to the road, knowing they would need it to point them to the Sorrow's Spring.

They couldn't have missed, not because of what they saw, but because of what they heard. They heard fighting up ahead. Clanking of weapons hitting shields and the ring of swords clashing. It sounded as if a small party were battling, more than just Blue, the one who said he would be here. Upon getting closer to the Sorrow's Spring they could see the Illithid clashing with the mixed forces. He was using Water Magic mostly to protect himself and stop blows. But he wasn't the only one fighting. Other Gnolls were fighting the enemies. The Gnolls the party had met before, though they had a new one with them. Cookie landed side by side with Blue, they nodded. as Blue jetted the Gnoll forward using Water. Somehow the Gnoll carried that momentum through the air, and arrived at his target battering him into a tree breaking several of his bones with a resounding snap. The enemy Gnoll slumped to the ground in a heap, looking pathetic and broken as he lie there like a sack of wet potatoes. Skinner came up behind another Gnoll defending himself from Tiny's barrage of brute strength. He slit the poor bastard's throat from behind, snickering while he did it. Squirmy was ducking and diving along with Montebanke. The 2 danced between blows and cut at weak spots that opened in their sloppy recoveries. They had killed these few, but they were ragged and worse for wear. These Gnolls were no slouches and put up quite a fight from the looks of things. There was a break in the action for now, and they had yet to notice the hero's approach.

An arrow whizzed through the air. The half-Elf Helzebeth stood by the trees with her bow poised and already another arrow at the ready. Hunter glanced at Cookie before appearing to nod in acknowledgment, and growling at the bastards they were up against.

... That is, before they noticed that there weren't anymore enemies. "Oh," Helzebeth said, standing down a little bit.

Xavier drew his sword and swung it in a broad motion, a wave of flames radiating outward from the edge and expanding. It wasn't going to cause any harm if it collided with anyone, but it was fantastic for drawing attention to himself - which was the goal of the technique. He charged forward with the expanding semicircle of sparks, ready to meet the attack of any foe that dared to assail him.

Marcus got out of the forest's cover, sword aflame too, and ready to give Xavier cover if needed. Shield in one hand, sword in the other, the Cinder Knight yelled to try and break the foe's confidence when seeing this new force arriving by surprise.

This my kind of strategy. Akuma rush into the fray without any hesitation as he was charging his hammer at for a full swing. The berserker rams one of the gnoll with a take down, delivering a swift one-two blow in succession at the gnoll's face with his blunt weapon. it was precise and brutal, Akuma picks up the battered gnoll on both ends as he breaks the spine of it with his knee.He drops and puts the gnoll in agonizing pain into the ground.

Akuma looks at the remaining gnolls with intensity and his eyes clearly says 'this group means business'.

Now this was more like it! Sigurd joined Marcus’ battle cry as he ran next to the Fire Templar. He needed to release some steam after they failed to protect the village. Going after the responsible monsters suited him perfectly as he raised his blades; ready to pierce some enemies.

Uh guys, they are all dead for now take a breather." Cookie said

((

There was a break in the action for now, and they had yet to notice the hero's approach.

I mean I did say there was a break in the action, but dang it we are moving forward with your silly people that run up to your friends ready to fight thin air!!!))

"We don't have too much time if they decide to strike again." Blue said to the group. "They may back off noticing our new numbers, but expect them to be watching."

"Once again sorry fer being a bother blokes." said a new gnoll they hadn't seen before to Cookie and the other Gnolls ((and Squirmy!!!)). It must have been Curfew. He looked a bit chubby for a solider, but they had to have him around for a reason.....right?

"Don't apologize to us ya dunce, just get your sword ready and help us damn it." Squirmy yelled.

"Brace thineselves." Montebanke said to the party. "We fight together now, thou must trust us or we all die. So those of you who didn't before, now thou must."

Crashing could be heard in the woods. They were coming and coming fast. They had decided.

"They will attack I see." Cookie said. "Come on lads, We the Runners will flail our blades and shove a pipe into the cogs of the Gentleman's Machine today. We will be outlaws to them from this day, with no home to return to until this bloody campaign is over. We do what no other Gnoll has the courage to, to stand up fro his people, we fight with Free Races today, because we want them to know we are not all monsters. Take up your arms brothers!!!"

The gnolls ((and Squirmy!!!)) cheered in approval. Though they looked tired and ragged form their earlier clash they looked ready to fight. Tiny even smashed his giant fists together. He wore some nasty Metal gauntlets covered in spikes and just raw uncut metal. The others used swords and daggers of various types. Montebanke a Rapier and parrying dagger. Curfew used a single Longsword. Skinner used a long wicked knife, and a more common hunting knife. Squirmy used a small dagger, and a Morning star, a rather odd combo. And Cookie wielded 2 swords, a Falchion and a Sabre. They pumped themselves up for the oncoming enemies.

"I am glad to see you are safe." Blue said to the party. He smiled as much as an illithid could on the outside. He didn't seem to have any weapons on him, and must have fought using magic.

About this time the enemies came barreling into view, they attacked from all directions spreading out to try and take some of the party by surprise. They came in groups of 2 ((similar to how Cookie's group was fighting earlier.)) some even noticed the less armed members of the party going towards them probably to draw the others into getting sloppy to intercept them. Most if not all were Gnolls. Though, one could be seen in the distance that was a Victonari. He had purple scales that gleamed like gems. He must be the captain of at least one of these groups. But for now he made no move, resigning only to watch.

"For Aelia! For Freedom!" shouted Cookie as he rushed forward meeting his foes head on. The Runners followed behind him meeting a bulk of the enemies.

Jupiter sent off potshots towards the enemies trying to slow their advance for now to give the others time to prepare for the clash of the two forces.

Blue hummed a haunting tune, the first time the group had heard any noise pass the illithid's real....lips? He started to glow a soft blue highlighting his frame. Water from the lake formed into long whips flying towards the gnolls, cracking one or tow and knocking them down. They quickly got back up but it slowed their charge.

((so ground rules. These enemies are NOT henchmen...well they are, but they are not as weak as the ones encountered thus far in Graterras. All rules that apply to fighting named NPCs or another's PC apply to these enemies and will apply to most throughout the rest of the story. This means no auto-hits, and most certainly no auto-kills. Any disregard for these will be met with a first me politely asking you to edit, but if it keeps happening I will take action. The training wheels come off now folks and Graterras will get more deadly from here on out. Keep this in mind, character death doesn't have to ruin the fun. Not saying someone will die here, but if it looks like it will happen, don't try and cheat it to keep them alive, have them go out in style instead. Attacks my NPCs make are easier for me to get back to, so expect them to pop up in posts. Anyway, have fun, go nuts and have a nice fight...it may be your last!!! I doubt it, but maybe...))