[Interest Check] Fate: Full Moon

Bfroger6

Another problem with using the respective figment of legend is that there could be many different interpretations of these characters and who they were, what made them legends and such. This could lead to some confusion as to why who has what NP

I don't see this as being too much of an issue so long as people can provide sources for their information. Like I said before, whether or not someone had a certain ability or item isn't important, what is important is that they were/are believed to have been in possession of it.

Hector of Troy is a good example. An exerpt from the wikipedia page on the sword Durendal:

According to Ludovico Ariosto's Orlando Furioso it once belonged to Hector of Troy, and was given to Roland by Malagigi (Maugris). This is questionable, given that the swords of Hector's time were made of bronze.

This means that Hector could probably be summoned under the saber class wielding Durendal, even though it's unlikely he actually possessed it. The biggest thing when issues like this arise is to be able to justify it.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing on characters of literature:

A character in a book undergoes a compressed version of the same process that causes a legendary hero (i.e. Hecules/Herakles) to come about. In the latter, a character is constructed over time by adding details derived from the acts of one or multiple people and attributing the acts of various individuals to one person. Their personal characteristics are constructed from the traits of various people that were involved in the deeds. Usually they're not an actual person, or they are but they had characteristics assigned to them that they may not have possessed in life, whether due to association with another person or simple exaggeration.

Many authors create characters by drawing inspiration from existing stories. Rand al'Thor, for example, has a definite Messianic color to his character; he possesses power that could be considered divine, he fights the forces of evil (in a literal way, in this example), he's even said to have been "born of a maiden" at one point. He's also got the near-stereotypical heroic origin; grew up in a small village, never thought he would amount to much, but grows into a hero over his long journey. So, he's no more or less real than Lancelot, who was probably never one specific person.

After a bit more thinking about it I've come to the realization that characters from literature are actually perfectly viable servants. It's already happened twice so far that I can think of, "Nursery Rhyme" the personification of a collection of nursery rhymes, and Frankenstein's monster. They fell under the caster and berserker classes respectively.

It has to be something that has been around long enough that is more or less ingrained into culture. like no matter how much I like Tolkien stuff, I think it is much too recent for it to work. ((not to mention it would be hard to pull stuff from there anyway, but I am just using it as an example, since it has been around, but I think it hasn't been around long enough. Also Murdoc mentioned Legolas.)) but then again, Tolkien's works were so influential in the genre of High Fantasy, that it could be an exception, but eh, I dunno.

I'm trying to think of Rand's relevant traits. (Also, looking at the wiki, the series is rife with apparent aberrations in the system, ranging from classless or uniquely classed Servants to Servants summoning other Servants, a Servant from the future, etc.)

lol i'm actually using a spoiler to hide spoilers for once

-To gauge his relative power levels, at the higher points of his power he pretty much has the capacity to wipe out entire cities, though at a fairly massive effort, through channeling. Melee-wise, he takes on four talented swordsmen at once and comes out on top, though it's a narrow contest. He also kills two Warders with his bare hands before being subdued. However, other highly talented fighters have proven to be near matches to him.

-He goes mostly insane at a couple points during the story and is pretty easily driven to rage overall. Close to the end, he overcomes this.

-Callandor, basically a crystalline magic sword, is probably the most visible specific object connected to him and could be said to represent his conflict throughout the series.

-He's got two major weaknesses (a third if you count sheer physical exhaustion being a very real threat): a never-healed wound in his side (over-exertion breaks it open and causes major blood loss) and the fact that he's reluctant to kill women even if they're actively trying to kill women. (And general mental instability as the series moves on.)

Not sure what class he would be tbh, though you could rule out most of them. In order, I would think Caster, then Saber, then Berserker.

I dunno, Wheel of Time I have not really read so I am not familiar with the works. My only problem is I feel it is much to recent to justify it imo, but I will leave that to the Host of said RP rather than make a judgement call for them lol.

So i know y'all don't like to read my long stuff so i will. help with this Word of God by the guy whi made Fate a servant must be older the the 20th century to be summond Archer from Stay Night is the only exception. its on the wiki. sorry for spelling problems i am on my phone.

Honestly after reading what's in the spoiler the guy doesn't sound overpowered at all. For context the most OP servant has a weapon which is literally capable of destroying worlds.

But like Hukuna said, I'd assume that WOT is too recent to be viable (didn't stop the damn servant from the future), also like he said it's not my call.

Well, he's kind of a nuke in the series. The most OP things he can do with the One Power are probably Traveling (low-cost travel between any two locations given you know your current location well, and Traveling somewhere gives you sufficient knowledge to do so. Energy cost is proportional to the size of the gateway and how long you maintain it; Rand is capable of transporting armies.) and balefire, which basically works backward in time to completely and utterly annihilate people. (Get hit by a weak beam, and you actually died a few seconds ago; get hit by a massive blast and it could be months, undoing all of your actions during that time.)

anw though I'm not familiar with Fate's standards and it looks like I can't use him anyway Q.Q

I really don't like pre-20th century literature. TIme to look to mythology. . . how important is the alignment of a Servant in the series?

I hate my brain sometimes....like My brain is trying to pull stuff from LoTR that could be servants lol. Like off the top of my head without really forming their entire abilities, I can think of a few.

Aragorn could become Saber

Legolas could possibly be Archer.

Sauron possible Berserker, but it would be a stretch.

I forget his name, but the King of Rohan, the one originally being manipulated by Grima, could be Rider. ((but would be super duper similar to Rider from Fate/Zero. Like his NP would quite literally be the same thing, XD.))

Gandolf is the only good caster, but not much is even known about him.((like he has a ring of power, but no one knows what it does, or where he got it. He also disappears for long times and it is never really shown what he is doing etc.)) Even less is known about the other users of magic in LoTR

((this isn't to make characters by the way. I am just trying to fit the Classes onto characters in the LoTR series since it was brought up by Murdoc lol.))

how important is the alignment of a Servant in the series?

It isn't. Servants can range from heroes of justice to the most vile of villains. If you have a catalyst (a relic from their legend, eg a chip of stone from the round table) then summoning the corresponding servant can be relatively easy, but without one the grail matches you with a servant your character would be compatible with in terms of personality.

Yeah, that'd make sense.

@Sheep: that makes things a bit easier, then. Is it bad that I was thinking of Mordred simply because of the Blind Guardian song?

Speaking of, I should totally do Beowulf provided Bfroger decides to stay within established canon. Only problem is everyone's going to be Saber and, uh, Beowulf never uses anything except for a sword and his bare hands.

I'm just gonna lay this down now, probably not the best idea to tell everyone who your servant may or may not be. The whole premise of the holy grail war is that it is a war of information as much as it is a war of skill. Every hero has an Achilles heel, and in one case that may be literal.

Yea, I get that lol. Watch Fate/Zero Murdoc, even if it just a few episodes, it will at least give you a feel for what is going on with the series. ((and how does Berserker work again? It is always the class I don't know the perimeters to.))

Beowulf doesn't really go insane at any point, though his confidence is almost suicidal.

My main problem with thinking of people is trying to come up with legendary heroes that aren't already used and aren't swordsmen. I forget, are Heroic Spirits exclusively mythological and legendary, or are they actual people? Because there are quite a few interesting historical figures one could use.

Yea, I get that lol. Watch Fate/Zero Murdoc, even if it just a few episodes, it will at least give you a feel for what is going on with the series. ((and how does Berserker work again? It is always the class I don't know the perimeters to.))

it changes based on the level of the Mad Enhancement skill(so say they have mad enhancement b all there perimeters except luck raise by like two ranks so from like B rank to A-{b, b+, a-}).

Beowulf doesn't really go insane at any point, though his confidence is almost suicidal.

My main problem with thinking of people is trying to come up with legendary heroes that aren't already used and aren't swordsmen. I forget, are Heroic Spirits exclusively mythological and legendary, or are they actual people? Because there are quite a few interesting historical figures one could use.

they only need to have gone mad at least once they don't need to stay it(Saber her self could be summoned as Berserker)

and yeah historical figures work too, hell Shakespeare has be summoned as caster in one thing.

Edited by rustytengo