[Interest Check] Fate: Full Moon

Bfroger6

So now I have to come up with an OC to summon my servant. . . I've been thinking that I should branch out and try to play a character more removed from my own personality, but I might stick to my comfort zone seeing as there's a lot of stuff I don't understand.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, so Charisma is basically just the ability to rule, eh... I thought it could be interpreted as just being likable or something. I dunno, but it's gonna be removed. His Magic Resistance is higher than usual because of reasons, but I could tone it down to C -> D. In Fate/Extra (the only Fate game I played), even Shinji's Rider has Magic Resistance D ~

Anyhow, we got Servants of Caster and Saber classes. Only Assassin, Lancer, Archer and Berserker remain available

If he as a specific thing from his legend to why he would have higher magic resistance then you should keep it higher then. C would work since that's what Nero had as hers and that was only because she was a Saber.

Well... I offered, you guys said you wanted it, and now I'm here to deliver. Be warned though, it's a lot to read, and a lot to take in at once.

Sheep's guide to the magic system of the Fate series.
A few things to clarify before we start:
Magic is different to magecraft. Another name for magecraft is thaumaturgy, and I will be calling it that for the rest of this description so as to not confuse anyone.
Magi (singular magus, possessive magi's? Magus'? I dunno, which sounds better?) are practitioners of thaumaturgy.
Magicians are practitioners of magic.
Prana, Mana, and Od:

Prana is what most fantasy settings would call mana. Prana is divided up into two groups. The first is mana, and originates from the magus' surroundings and environment. It is essentially the prana of the world. Od is the prana that originates inside the magus. It is produced by magic circuits (I'll explain that one below) and is a much smaller source than mana. As a general trend a magus will initiate their spell using od, and then source most of the prana required from mana. When thinking about a the od reserves of a magus, consider the magus to be like a rechargeable battery. They have a maximum storage capacity for od, and only when some is used do the magic circuits begin to make more. The Tohsaka family use a technique which allows them to store od from their bodies in
gems. They can then use this od later for an easy source of prana in casting large spells but keep in mind that they have very limited amounts as the gems are expensive, and take a long time to fill. It is a very specialized technique that I wouldn't expect to find outside of the Tohsaka family.

Magic Circuits:

Magic circuits are analogous to a spiritual nervous system. Every magus has them, and they are what lets a magus handle prana. They are not physical like the human nervous system, and are instead housed in the soul of the magus. In order to use the od accumulated inside a magus'body to initiate a spell the first step is to activate their magic circuits. Activating magic circuits requires a thought trigger of some kind but it isn't as obvious as "I want to activate my magic circuits." Instead it is instinctual and varies from magus to magus. Examples are images of the hammer of a gun firing, or the magus' heart being stabbed by a knife. Full licence to get creative with your own trigger if you're into that sort of detail. Activating magic circuits is not a pleasant sensation either, due to magic circuits by nature being foreign to the body. I can't remember who it was but someone likened it to a hot metal rod sliding into place where their spine is. A magus has both a definite number and quality of magic circuits and all of the combinations of the two that you can imagine are possible. Both a high number and a high quality contribute to a magus' overall ability to handle prana, and it is this combination that determines how well they can provide prana to their servant. I think all people are born with at least one magic circuit (though that's not really important) but most don't have many, families of magi have been able to boost their count through specific breeding plans with other magus families over numerous generations. This is the first reason that magi from long lineages are considered superior to those with shorter lineages.

Magic Crests:

Every family of magi has a magic crest. Empirically the magic crest is a highly concentrated form of magic circuits given physical form. It manifests itself as a circular pattern (unique to each family) somewhere on the body of the magus, and there is only one per family. The role of the magic crest is to act as a library of known spells for the mage of the family, and each successive magus adds a portion of their own magic circuits to it, complete with the spells learned across their lifetime, before they pass it on to the next generation. Activation (I would imagine) is similar to activating one's own magic circuits, though potentially without the pain (as this is located on your physical body). The magic crest is the other main reason it is advantageous to be descended from a long line of magi. The Matou family use a different variant on the magic crest, called crest worms, but I won't go into that unless someone actually wants to be from the Matou family.

Thaumaturgy:

This is what you as masters will be using. It covers just about anything you can imagine, from throwing fireballs to healing your servant. The definition of thaumaturgy is using prana to create an instance of and accelerate the rate of something achievable by modern science. For instance, hospital staff have the ability to treat and eventually heal wounds, thaumaturgy just gets it done quicker at the cost of prana. To use thaumaturgy it can require a specific chant. The chant is a form of self induced hypnosis designed to put the magus in a state in which they can control their magic circuits easily, though the particular chant seems to be spell specific in nature, and some of the simpler magic doesn't require it. The only limits on the spells a magus can cast are the physical limitations of their magic circuits (how much prana they can handle) and the types of thaumaturgy contained within their magic crest or obtained during their lifetime. It is likely that a specific family will focus their attention across multiple generations on mastering a single focus of thaumaturgy, so keep that in mind when creating characters.

Bounded Fields:

Bounded fields are a specialized area of effect type of thaumaturgy. The effects differ from field to field, but can include mass sleep inducing, hiding an area from outside sight, or in the most powerful cases (generally noble phantasm specific) killing the people inside. I'm just bringing these to your attention so you know they are possible.

Magic:

Magic is something very different to thaumaturgy. It's not all that important that you understand magic, as none of us will likely be using it, but for the sake of completion I'll include it here anyway. Magic is like very powerful thaumaturgy. I'm not entirely sure whether it requires prana, or activation of the magic circuits to use, as the amount of prana required to do this sort of thing would be astronomical. What magic boils down to is the creation of miracles that modern day science cannot perform. An example would be time travel. There are only 5 known magics in the world today, corresponding with 5 magicians, one for each magic. The most important one for the fate story is the 3rd magic, otherwise known as Heaven's Feel, and it is the crystallization of the soul into a physical form. This is important to the fate story because inside the holy grail there is the physical soul of the person who summoned it (the same person who originally founded the 3rd magic). The grail itself makes use of an incomplete form of the 3rd magic to construct the servants.

Summoning and maintaining a Servant:

Summoning a servant follows a number of steps and rules. It is at its core the same ritual used to summon any familiar, but on a much grander scale. You draw the magic circle on the ground (you can use blood, or mercury, maybe other suitably cool liquids as well), then you begin the chant as you activate your magic circuits and provide the prana. If looking to summon a particular servant then a catalyst (something linked to their story)will be required. The prana you need to put forward yourself is minimal, as the grail does most of the work of summoning the servant for you. If an ordinary magus tried to summon a servant without the grail, the amount of prana required would likely kill them. Once the summoning is complete it is the responsibility of the master to continue to provide the servant with the prana required to remain manifested. Therefore a master needs to balance their prana output between the needs of their servant, and their own needs when casting thaurmataugy.Servants have their own magic circuits and the ability to handle prana, so they are capable of utilising their own activated noble phantasms independently, though it is a good idea to increase the prana flow to your servant after a combat scenario so that it can recover more quickly. If you, your servant, or both are of an immoral character there is a particularly easy way of gaining prana. That is to kill innocent bystanders and harvest their od, but it's up to your character as to whether they're up for it.

Command Seals:

Command seals are the mark of a master. They are 3 crystallizations of pure prana in huge quantities. They appear as red tatoo like markings in a 3 part design somewhere on the body of the master (usually on one hand) and can be used to order your servant to complete seemingly impossible tasks. The prana contained in a single command seal is an enormous store, but if this isn't enough to complete the task then mana will be gathered from the environment in order to assist. However, you must excersise caution when using them, as they work less effectively on vague commands due to the ridiculous amount of prana required to fulfill them. Something like "win this battle", or "obey my every command" won't work to completion but will still use up the command seal. It will have a small influence though, instead of winning the battle it might increase your servants chance to win slightly, or instead of complete obedience your words might carry a little more weight. Generally speaking though they should be saved for more precise commands, such as "come here" which would result in your servant appearing at your side in an instant. Another thing to consider is that once you use your last command seal, you may find yourself with nothing to encourage your servant to listen to you with. Worst case scenario is that your servant abandons you while you are still contract bound to supply it with prana.

A note on the servant Caster:

Caster is the servant class equivalent of a master. So the question arises as to the nature of their "magic". Generally speaking Caster uses thaumaturgy, and is bound by that in the same way any magus is. However, what they did while they were alive would have been considered magic. The constant advances made by science are rendering more and more magic as thaumaturgy instead, and thus the need for magicians/magi is becoming less and less as increasing amounts of what was once only doable by magi becomes doable by everyone. This has resulted in the weakening of thaumaturgy from the age at which the heroic spirits lived to now, and as a result Caster is a much more powerful practitioner of thaumaturgy than any master could hope to be. Additionally, as the mechanisms for casting thaumaturgy were different back then Caster is generally able to cast spells at a very fast rate, with only a few words per incredibly powerful spell rather than lines of incantation.

Finally, a couple of things to consider. Magic is generally a secret kept from everyone. If someone witnesses a battle between servants, that person needs to die. Also, servants have two forms, their physical form and their spirit form. The spirit form is invisible and incorporeal, but they can still communicate and have full access to their senses. It is easier on the prana though, and convenient when not in combat situations.
Alright. That was a lot of work, but I hope it clears some stuff (or a lot of stuff) up, and teaches you some important information (and lots more besides). If anyone still has any questions, feel free to ask.
Edit: As if it was possible I forgot something. I was going to include the ritual for summoning a servant, but I guess I'll put it down here instead.

Fill. Fill. Fill. Fill. Fill.
Let it be filled fivefold for every turn, simply breaking asunder with every filling.
For the essence, silver and steel.
For the foundation, stone and the archduke of contracts.
For the ancestor, my great master __________.
Close the gates of the four cardinal directions.
Come forth from the crown, and follow the three forked road leading to the kingdom.
Let it be declared now.
My will creates your body.
Your sword creates my destiny.
If you heed the Grail's call and obey my will and reason, then answer me.
I hereby swear.
That I shall be all the good in the world.
That I shall defeat all evil in the world.
[insert custom verse aiming for your particular class here if you want, this is the one for Berserker. There aren't any other official ones, but you can make one up if you like]
But let chaos cloud your eyes.
You, that is trapped in a cage of madness.
I would hold your chains.
[End custom verse]
From the seventh heaven, clad in the three great words of power,
come forth from the circle of binding, guardian of the scales!

Hah, you're right, it was. Thank you very much though, hopefully this helps. Oh, and if you see anything in there that needs clarification or isn't explained clearly, feel free to let me know.

Ooh man, I wanted so badly to get into this... But with my current state of life, I think I'd only hinder you guys. Good luck though, I'll be definitly reading this one.

good job Sheep much better then what I could have explained.

though on thing i need to ask is about witchcraft if its a different type of magecraft or what. then there' s the whole magic origin and magic type i can't seem to quite get

Ooh man, I wanted so badly to get into this... But with my current state of life, I think I'd only hinder you guys. Good luck though, I'll be definitly reading this one.

ah that's no fun well hopefully you enjoy reading it anyway Notus.

That sensation of something you fundamentally didn't understand just clicking in your head. It feels oh so nice. May have to go research some stuff now, since I don't really have any ideas for Servants off the top of my head lol. ((I could always just use one that already was, but bah....that's boring.))

I personally like Berserker more for a personal character, cause I think I can pull something interesting off with it. But anything that isn't Saber or Lancer for me. Those are the classes that just don't feel like I personally can do something interesting with.

I personally like Berserker more for a personal character, cause I think I can pull something interesting off with it. But anything that isn't Saber or Lancer for me. Those are the classes that just don't feel like I personally can do something interesting with.

Hmm... Well for the RP I did my berserker was Dr.Jakel/MR.Hyde it pretty much is self explanatory of his NP. Look into Norse mythology you might find a good one from that.

Macbeth is a rather good one, since the play itself is considered bad luck on top of the legend behind it. ((all the records of stage accidents and people going missing during performances, there is a reason it hasn't had a Modern Production in a long time.)), I would have to work to get the idea for the NP though. NPs are what I am the worst at thinking up to be honest lol. I am going to delve around for some stuff, but it is a good launching point, and one to highly consider.

well with him being bersreker best bet would be to have a passive NP like Herc's God Hand or Lancelot's one not an activated one like Excalibur.

Two that come to mind for me are The Prophecy of the Wired Sisters(mainly the line "He could not be killed by a man born of woman.") which would work similer to servants like Siegfried's Armor of Fanfur, or Achilles both who are invincible unless hit in their weak point.(the heel and heart for Achilles and the back for Siegfried.)

and the Curse of Macbeth which would relate to the whole bad luck part of the play or something like that.

Can anyone actually tell me what is the purpose of the Luck stat? I mean, what exactly does it change in Servants except making them lucky? I need to know 'cause that's my Rider's main stat... And apparently the most useless one xc

Hmm, both would be interesting for sure. ((honestly the first feels a little cheap, but eh.)) the Luck one would be tough to figure out though.

Only idea of the top o' me head for now.

"The Scottish King": On the discovery of Macbeth's Identity ((like saying his name)) Super Bad Luck befalls the Victim. Suddenly everything will go wrong for them, usually in such a way that will cause physical harm or death in some way or another. It can be dispelled by doing some action 3 times in a row, then spitting over the left shoulder and then uttering a curse word.

Just spitballing lol.

Luck is just that luck....maybe like having the thing you need close by or something. I will let the Type Moon Experts explain it better if they can, but Luck is super hard to explain how it would be useful....cause uh....luck isn't usually useful. ((High Luck would probably denote that they happen to get lucky breaks or where somebody who seemed to get lucky breaks more than they should.))

So Luck, as in a piano randomly falling on your opponent, giving you a chance to escape 'cause you're too weak to actually fight properly and your NP sucks ~

Macbeth's would be opposite, as in a piano randomly falling on him and giving a chance for his opponent to escape 'cause they're being overpowered by his Berserkishness ~

So hax and anti-hax. At the very least my Rider would be a good competitive Pokemon player. :yay:

To give you an idea of why luck can be strong, let's return to WoT. (yes I can't use a servant from WoT, we've been over this, it's just an example.) Mat Cauthon is the luckiest man alive. He wanders into battlefields by accident and comes out completely unscathed just because he happens to avoid every attack aimed at him. If he stumbles or trips, it's usually because someone threw a knife at him that he couldn't see. His typical method of locating things is literally spinning around until he doesn't know what direction he's facing and walking forward - usually, directly at whatever he was trying to find. The one time he is actually injured after he acquires his luck, it was prearranged and practically unavoidable.

(Related: is it possible for a Servant to have one of their basic parameters be ranked EX?)

Luck seems to be a bad stat.....it isn't, you just need to be an expert of playing around with luck without making it super duper OP. ((so either it is someone who isn't actually lucky, they have good planning skills and therefore can manipulate luck, or you use it in a way where it doesn't smother another player too much, since it is shitty if they kept getting off the hook cause they are super lucky.))

Luck is.....well luck. basically like in most video games it would slightly increase the other perimeters as well increase or decrease the odds of something happening.(like say increase the chance to hit of a weapon that's hard to aim. or decrease the the likelyhood of a servant dieing from a insta kill NP{like if Gea bloge is thrown the chance of it hitting the heart of the target is reduced})

basically its the balance perimeter.

if this was Fate/Extra i could say Luck increases the chance of a critical hit and chance of hitting higher on your damage and reduces some of the damage.

Yeah but most Heroic spirits don't have that insane amount of luck like Mat.His luck would be akin to a NP more then anything.

as Bfroger said its possible but its very rare.

The servants that do have EX in a perimeter are Spartacus in Endurance, Frances Drake in Luck(pirate so why not) Hans Christan Anderson in Mana and the alter egos of BB. which are made of different goddess and its something involving the Moon-Cell which would be best to avid talking about since its an entity separate from the Grail.(its basically a giant computer on the surface of the moon)

EX is only for something that can't be quantified under the normal system of the grail. Herc doesn't even have that in strength and he is the Strongest hero for that perimeter. Ex is more likely to happen for a skill then a perimeter.(such as Spartacus has Mad Enhancement of EX since his madness could not be quantified under the normal means{he is still able to speak a bit well Herc could really only growl})

Edited by rustytengo