Martial arts?

Alaris

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to do Karate, but only for Self-Defense

Which style of karate were you practising?

I used to do Kenpo Self-Defense. Got to black belt and quit because I didn't have time and the studio just doesn't really care about teaching the black belts anything new at that point.

Oh, what a shame... I've usually heard that you actually start learning once you get the black belt...

I think the closest I've come to martial arts is kickboxing, but I'm definitely interested in hearing about MA!

Well, kickboxing is technically a martial art... but it's in the competitive, sport-like lot. I have to say though that I prefer traditional martial arts! :)

I did Karate for about 7 years. While it is true that you learn more about the sport post-black belt, from that point on the dojo directs you more towards competitive battling.

Boxing is considered a martial art. It might not be a traditional one, but so many practice it.

Also, I think I've seen in the Grand Hall several people taking Tae-kwon-do.

I was that kid who did silly Tiger Schulman's lol. It eventually went towards more wrestling (grappling) and kickboxing stuff though. Which I was glad about, but after a few years I just lost interest and went less and less.

I know there is a big fanbase for MMA leagues though, certainly a growing sport.

I took Judo up to yellow belt. Loved doing matwork.

Did a year of wrestling in high school.

Dabbled in grappling in college. Army combatives also basically translates into dabbling in grappling.

Learned a fair bit of foil and epee fencing from the fencing club in college, off and on for a couple of years.

I always wanted to do boxing, but I don't think my parents would have let me (they were adamant about no football, even though I never had any real interest in playing that) and there were never any advertisements or anything for boxing that I saw. Definitely doesn't have the 'be safe, for self defense" sales shtick karate and the others have.

I did TaeKwonDo for about six or seven years and got my black belt before leaving due to annoying people who kept trying to hold me back from progessing because they were threatened by me. However, I still practice on my own whenever I feel the desire to.

Oh, what a shame... I've usually heard that you actually start learning once you get the black belt...

Is true. My instructor always told me that and I didn't really start learning all the serious stuff until I got my black belt.

Edited by Kyoyoyoyoyoyoyo

Am I allowed to skip all the belts and go straight to black? I ain't got 7 years to spare. :feelsgn:

Why would you want a black belt if you didn't go to class? I mean, you would know little about the martial art, so the belt would mean nothing... :huh:

Taekwondo, Lower Yellow Belt and Muay Thai, both for PE classes in college. Muay Thai is my current martial arts class.

(Note to self: don't mess with Zephy)

I practiced Judô up to yellow belt and then a year of Ju-Jitsu. Never got truly in competition level, but fighting with my friends there was really fun! Not to mention I got an edge over my Rugby playing sister XD

I did Tae kwon do for almost eight or so years, got my black belt after seven years and then didn't really progress further than that before I left. That was about two years ago I stopped, and I haven't really been practicing so I'm probably a bit rusty...

and where I trained, you got most of the curriculum in as you progressed through the ranks rather than after getting black belt, so basically everything after black was pretty much just Weapons training and a few add ons to what you've already been taught.

I'm not really much of a threat even with 11 years of martial arts training. I lack the general strength required to pull off certain things. However, brute strength isn't necessary for everything. Just knowing the different points where you can make people collapse, how to center your gravity, etc. I also am trained in Arnis, Bo, and Nunchuks, so then again, I don't need to have the strength to make things hurt.

I also am trained in Arnis, Bo, and Nunchuks, so then again, I don't need to have the strength to make things hurt.

I'm not trained with this instrument, but I believe I could hold my own or do better against those things with a chair. The sturdier, the better.

One thing I learned from physics that fencing really drove home was fulcrums and that the business end of things can be easily manipulated.