• Mega Abomasnow
    • Mega Gallade
    • Mega Lopunny
    • None
  5. 5. Favorite Unova/Kalos Mega?

• Mega Audino
    • Mega Diancie
    • Neither

Who are your favorite Mega Evolutions that have been introduced so far? Make sure to post who you voted for here, one for each region... except that Unova and Kalos have been put in one bracket since they only have one each.

I have a lot of personal favorites, but my picks are:

Kanto: Mega Charizard X

Johto: Mega Scizor

Hoenn: Mega Mawile

Sinnoh: Mega Gallade

Unova/Kalos: Mega Diancie

All of the winners from the respective polls will go on to a final poll later on, so make sure to vote for your favorites!

Edited by SilverJakler

I got Charzard X, Houndoom, Mawile, Lucario and Audino. All based purely on design cuz I have no experience with any of them. But I mean come on just look at those pokemon, there awesome then there's Audino

Mega Mawile, Mega Audino, Mega Banette, Mega Absol and Mega Lopunny. These 5 mons needed the boost of either the second type they win, their new abilities or their new stats (or all three things together). Plus I love their designs: Mawile is a piranha plant, audino is a magical girl, banette is the doll of the devil, absol is a friggin angel of death and lopunny looks like cammy from street fighter. Genius.

Honorable mention of Mega Tyranitar, Mega Gengar, Mega Alakazam and Mega Medicham.

I can't vote b/c it forces me to vote on each selection and I don't like neither Audino or Diancie

So here my votes (no specific order)

Char X, Blastoise, Gengar, Kanga, Mewtwo Y

Scizor, Heracross, Houndoom, Tyranitar, Steelix

Sceptile, Blaziken, Swampert, Gardevoir, Mawile, Aggron, Manectric, Banette, Salamence, Metagross, Rayquaza

Garchomp, Lucario, Gallade

I can't vote b/c it forces me to vote on each selection and I don't like neither Audino or Diancie

Couldn't fit all of 'em into one big poll, so I just added a None/Neither option for all of them... except Hoenn because there's a 20 options limit on the questions.

I love how I'm the only person who picked Mega Venusaur for Kanto. The funny part is that she is my check and counter against Mega Charizard X which seems to be the most popular.

Also, for Kalos there should be Mega Hoopa. That thing is way better choice compared to the other two.

Where is the "I am steadily growing to hate the whole Mega concept and I wish who invented it would burn in the eternal flames of Hell" option?

Why is that?

Now I'm wondering how many votes would that option gather if there were to be included.

Edited by zimvader42

Why is that?

Now I'm wondering how many votes would that option gather if there were to be included.

When Megas first came out, they were a cool way to revamp some Pokemon for more advanced competitive use... And they also had validity in-universe: it makes sense (for example) for Blaziken to obtain its strongest (and usually limited) ability upone Mega Evolving, it makes sense for Charizard to become a true dragon, it makes sense for Blastoise to acquire a cannon-themed ability. But as more and more Pokemon get Megas, this original spirit is swiftly being forgotten, in favor of "let's grab a Pokemon and make it broken for the heck of it". Because it's clear that, while originally Megas were "just" cool options, with the standard form still retaining a niche of its own, lately we have been getting Megas that are inherently better than their base forms, and of basically everything else around them for that matters. Which means, to be succesful in a metagame that allows Megas, you must run one, because the only thing that can seriously thraten a Mega is, well, another Mega: what is the sense, from an in-universe point of view, of giving a Pokemon like Lopunny the Scrappy ability and a Fighting sub-type, aside for the lulz of making it broken? And from a competitive standpoint: how many non-Megas can stand up to a thing with HJK, great coverage moves (elemental punches, Fake Out, Return...) and Scrappy? I am not necessarily saying that Mega Lopunny is broken, mind you, I am just saying that grabbing random Pokemon and suddenly making them game-changing powerhouses is a dangerous trend, that can easily take away the fun of the game because, you know, not everyone likes to be forced to go with a game mechanic...

Mega Charizard X, Mega Houndoom, Mega Rayquaza aka new tier maker, Mega Lucario, even though I really wanted to pick Mega Gallade as well ;_; ,and neither for Unova/Kalos. I'm just not interested in them.

Edited by IronWraith

When Megas first came out, they were a cool way to revamp some Pokemon for more advanced competitive use... And they also had validity in-universe: it makes sense (for example) for Blaziken to obtain its strongest (and usually limited) ability upone Mega Evolving, it makes sense for Charizard to become a true dragon, it makes sense for Blastoise to acquire a cannon-themed ability. But as more and more Pokemon get Megas, this original spirit is swiftly being forgotten, in favor of "let's grab a Pokemon and make it broken for the heck of it". Because it's clear that, while originally Megas were "just" cool options, with the standard form still retaining a niche of its own, lately we have been getting Megas that are inherently better than their base forms, and of basically everything else around them for that matters. Which means, to be succesful in a metagame that allows Megas, you must run one, because the only thing that can seriously thraten a Mega is, well, another Mega: what is the sense, from an in-universe point of view, of giving a Pokemon like Lopunny the Scrappy ability and a Fighting sub-type, aside for the lulz of making it broken? And from a competitive standpoint: how many non-Megas can stand up to a thing with HJK, great coverage moves (elemental punches, Fake Out, Return...) and Scrappy? I am not necessarily saying that Mega Lopunny is broken, mind you, I am just saying that grabbing random Pokemon and suddenly making them game-changing powerhouses is a dangerous trend, that can easily take away the fun of the game because, you know, not everyone likes to be forced to go with a game mechanic...

Hmm, I see where you come from. An interesting point of view, and while I somewhat agree with what you said about the concept mutating into "making a pokemon broken for the heck of it", I still think megas aren't exactly losing the spirit of a mega, is just that Gamefreak's decisions on the pokemon who receive a mega that sort of bug me.

For example, I personally dislike the fact that they gave metagross, garchomp, rayquaza, mewtwo, etc. a mega (mewtwo even has two...). I like the megas themselves in terms of design, but what I don't like is that they took some of the already most powerful pokemon and made them so overpowered that you can hardly counter them in competitive. Whenever I decide to play just for fun with a team that has no specific counters for these threats, I always find a team that has a mega powerhouse (lucky me -.-), and all I can do is just watch the opponent sweeping my team with one single mega. Even given how terribly bad I am at competitive, I can still enjoy losing to another person when they use strategies that make me say "woah" or have incredibly well-thought teams, but when they 6-0KO me because they had a mega-evolved powerhouse, well, I just find that kind of match boring. And when it is me who gets to use one of these goddamn powerhouses, I find it boring to 6-0 KO the opponent's team. A Vivillon sweep? I take it. A mega-rayquayquay sweep? Meh. That's my opinion on the competitive side at least.

However, if I love the concept of mega evolution is for one reason and one reason only: it seems to be the only way now for pokemon that were seemingly abandoned by gamefreak to receive some love, given that trans-generational evolutions (like gliscor, weavile, froslass, dusknoir, etc.) aren't happening anymore for some reason. The best example, Audino. No one likes Audino (I love it but that's besides the point). The thing is, the mega is not overpowered by any mean, and it won't make people start loving it, but at least the fact that a mega audino exists shows that Gamefreak cares about that pokemon. That's all I need, to know that it isn't abandoned into oblivion. If things like Leavanny, Dunsparce, Flygon, Spinda, etc. received megas that would be great just for the fact that it shows that they're not forgotten. That's the reason why I love things like Mega Bedrill and Mega Pidgeot. No one used them, and Bedrill was specially forgotten, but now? It gets some love in the form of what I think it is one of the best mega evolutions design-wise. I prefer regular evolutions a hundred times, but if mega evolution is the way to go now, and it's the only way some of my favourites receive some love, then I'll take it.

Gen 1 - Mega Blastoise

Gen 2 - Mega Ampharos

Gen 3 - Mega Gardevoir

Gen 4 - Mega Gallade

Gen 5 -.....I guess we'll go with Mega Audino because it's the ONLY one?....

Gen 6 - Mega Diancie for the same reason above....

My favorite mega is Gallade, but I myself find myself building around non-megas and keeping pace with them at times. I actually don't think they're needed on every team, even though after ORAS came out it's use seems to have grown more prominent, on my end.

Τhere is one thing that most of you forget about

Game Freak's competitive POV is the VGC

Most of you use Smogon as competitive POV so Mega Luke sounds too op

But let me remember you that 2014 VGC Champion won with a Pachirisu

There is not tiers on VGC

Last thing is that some Megas are for fun, some for in-game some for competitive, what competitive? Make ur choise

Edited by Qaaz

I may as well throw my thought of Megas into the mix as well. While there are some exceptions, I do think that Megas overall enhance the metagame. You don't need a mega to take down a Mega, in fact, sometimes I don't Mega evolve my Pokemon right away such as Venusaur. There are some Pokemon that really don't need a mega such as Garchomp and especially Mewtwo. I use both of those examples competitively and Mewtwo actually performs better without his Mega imo.

As for being overpowered, I've fought plenty of Megas with my Nation teams for practice. The only situations I found them to be troublesome was due to the imbalance of my team (I had 3 types to choose from). From experience in 3 different tiers (UU, OU, and Uber), Megas are not unbelievably OP or broken inside of their retrospective tiers. I'm not so sure about the new ORAS mons as I haven't battled too much lately (I've fought Metagross, Gallade, and Sableye) but the ones I did battle I will still stand by my statement.

I would like to point out that most Pokemon that have been cited as counter-arguments to my points (specially the "they are forcing us to run the Mega over the normal" point of mine), like Garchomp and Mewtwo, are from the FIRST "wave" of Megas, the one that I myself admitted was cool, made sense, and wasn't excessively invasive in that the normal forms still had their advantages over the Megas.

What I am pointing my finger at is the LATEST wave of Megas, most of which are either nonsensical (the Lati twins), overkill (Salamence) or "let's give a forgotten Pokemon enhancements that have no plausible justufication but will make it strong" (Lopunny). I actually liked the Mega concept when it first came out, but now it feels like it is being showed down our throats: it could have been an opportunity to make all Pokemon equally relevant (strong and famous Pokemon are strong and famous, weak and forgotten Pokemon get Megas to make up for their shortcomings), but instead it is quickly turning into yet another flashy mechanic that gets a massive push only untill creators come up with something else, like Dream World was for Gen 5...

... Which is not necessarily a bad thing, mind you. It's just a thing I don't like. I merely happen to think the franchise should have taken a different direction, and I am a bit disappointed with how things are turning out, but ehi, maybe I am just salty because I suck at OU...

The concept of megas goes actually to both of those categories. There are megas that are actually pointed at competitive battling and making sub-par pokemon viable again, and there are megas that promote the franchise, just because they are fan favorites and as such should be included. Lucario, Mewtwo, Garchomp, Salamence, Metagross and Gardevoir all fall under this category.

Let's focus on competitive battling itself. Thankfully, the online servers that provide us with the opportunity to battle online, if we don't own a 3ds or are fed up with battling people using 6Arceus or hacked pokemon, set tiers which are abided by all, and put pokemon (mega or not) in their place, given their potential. The megas that simply go over the top are classified to tiers where they don't break the metagame for everyone else. The megas themselves are not bad. There is even the thought that having 1 mega in your team is better, than having 2 final evolutions that could be of a "mega-level".

The good thing with megas is that they've saved several pokemon from never being used in the higher tiers. Face it. Before the megas, pokemon like Charizard, Blastoise, Kangaskhan, Mawile, Medicham, Manectric, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Camerupt, Altaria, Glalie and Lopunny were never seen in the competitive scene, with few exceptions that included gimmicks (note: the megas not mentioned are ones that were already good, or are still bad, take your pick). So it IS good to bring some pokemon back from the dead.

A problem is that we didn't have enough viable megas to choose from, and the fear is that the megas will dominate the metagame and sooner or later, the tiers will be just a list of pokemon with mega evolutions.

That said, I'm waiting for my M-Raticate, M-Ursaring, M-Flygon, M-Honchkrow, M-Volcarona, M-Luxray....