Kancolle aka Kantai Collection aka Boat Waifus The Game

Nico Nico Nii~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP0BPnDAPa4

Kantai Collection, also known as KanColle, is an online browser game in which one assumes the role of an admiral, assembles a fleet of kanmusu ('ship girls' based on World War II-era ships and submarines), & battles against fleets of unknown warships.

from Kancolle Wiki

So yea before there was boat wives the anime there was boat wives the game. If the quote from the wiki page didn't explain it well for you then Kancolle is a WW2 boat battle browser game where the ships are all girls and you fight the Abyssal Fleet who rule over the sea. There are different classes such as destroyers and light cruisers and all in all there are a total of 221 boats to get as i post this (new girls don't come out constantly i believe it's seasonally if any). Remember they are, in fact, based off actually WW2 ships.

Examples of said boat girls under spoiler (art from game).

you got my destoryer waifu murakumo

015_3.png

my heavy cruiser waifu atago

67_3.png

my battleship waifu bismarck (in her drei remodel)

178.png

my standard carrier waifu kaga

007_3.png

If the anime has you wanting to play but you have no clue on how, this topic will be showing you how you too can be an admiral battling the unknown sea.

If anything is unclear/there are problem/issues post here and i will try to find a solution, or you can check the wiki on how to register here and possible find a solution to your problems

I'm saying this right now google chrome is the best when you want to play this as there is an app that will help u skip a step

Mobile playing is a no-go, sorry.

Also depending on your timezone this may or may not require some effort into actually getting to play

Step 1

Register for the website

Go on to dmm.com, where kancolle is, and register for the website

Note there is an option around the top right corner in red to change the language on that website to english, go ahead and click that for registration purposes such as being actually able to understand what this website is saying

Go ahead and verify and do the things to make your account and you should be good.

Also, from the wiki

In recent tries of acquiring an account from DMM, it says that there is a problem everytime someone tries to verify their e-mail. To solve this, first click the e-mail link to verify your account, then when the page has opened saying there is an error, copy the url of the error page and paste it to a new tab and then hit enter. It should say that the verification is complete. It seems the site has a bug.

Step 2

Get the app (for chrome users)/Get a Japanese VPN (for nonchrome users)

(for chrome users) get this app, install it and boom you don't need a jap vpn, but you will need to change your language settings back to japanese on dmm.com (you will at this point no longer need the english). it also includes some other things with it too, just click on the little shimakaze and it will drop down all the things it can do for you.

(for nonchrome) follow the guild from the kancolle wiki on how to set up a vpn, it will include having you download something but i actually have downloaded this myself and so far no problems with my computer. there are other methods there but personal the first option (vpn) seemed like the easiest to me.

If you wonder why you need this the game requires users to have a Japanese IP address, don't ask me why the made it it's their rules.

If you click here and see the game title screen and not an error, you've done everything right so far BUT don't click on the big red button yet, as there is one more step...

Step 3

Win (the lottery)

Yep, because the game is so popular there are new severs being made and in order to play the game you only need to win once, and then you can play with your waifus for as longs as you want and as often.

When is the lottery?

The official Kancolle twitter will post when they will be having the lottery

Example tweets:

本日の新規サーバ開放、実施中です!

開放日時:9/20(金)【12:00】※現在順次開放中です!
着任方式:【抽選】による多段階着任方式
着任規模:新規【8,000名】規模予定
開放サーバ:
主力【ブイン基地サーバ】
支援【ショートランド泊地サーバ】
#艦これ
------------------------------------------------------
おはようございます!「艦これ」次回の新規着任サーバ開放は、【本日】実施致します!
開放日時:【3/2(月曜日) 19:30】開放開始予定
開放方式:【抽選】による多段階着任方式
開放規模:新規【約10,000名】規模予定
開放サーバ:複数サーバ群投入予定 ※調整中
#艦これ
You don't need to know Japanese to know how to read this, as you only need the numbers
-9/20- the (japan) date of when the lottery will be held
-8,000- the amount of spaces there will be for the lottery
-12:00- the (japan) time it will begin (it will be military time so no need to worry about am/pm)
THIS is why I said you may or may not put some effort into getting to play this game
I had to wake up from 2 am to 4 am on school days. I was dead those days
Please check the time they post and see when they will have the lottery IN YOUR timezone
If you can not make it here are suggestions
-get a friend to go for you (remember someone you trust, and as safety procaution change your dmm password after they get it for you/attempt to get it for you)
-there is a kancolle forums where you may ask someone to go in your place here
-wait until a day you can make it
From personal experience, which would of been a month or so ago, the lottery is once every two days.
Also if its been two days and you haven't seen a tweet like the examples, check every now and again as they will update.
In fact, the date I post this, the lottery will be starting in about 4 hours!
For this reason it is better to switch to Japan time on your computer/tablet, and I believe it will also better your chances at winning
In fact, here's (a copy/paste on) how to better your chances at winning from the wiki:
-Be on Time! There is no person turning on and rolling the lottery in the back. It is the server doing the lottery so as much as possible be present before the deisnated lottery hour for the day. Remember it is Japanese time!
-IMPORTANT: While it says "Navigate to the game website at the specified time to enter the lottery", but you can actually go ahead and load this page beforehand, and click on the red button there (see image to the right). You will be asked to fill out more information about yourself such as gender and date of birth which you can do even before the designated time! (required VPN/proxy already when youre outside JP)

Redbtn.png

the information you need to fill out is as follows
-nickname/ign
-gender, left=boy right=girl
-date of birth
-blood type
-At the step 3 of the informaton process, DO NOT click yet on the "I want to start the game" (see image to the left). Again, do not click yet. That is the button that should be clicked on the specified time, so just stay there on that page.

180px-Startbtn.png

-Clear your cache 10 to 30 seconds before the clock ticks the designated hour (e.g. 17:59:45 for an 18:00:00 lottery). Some people have slow computers, some have large caches so estimate this yourself depending on your situation. This does not mean you should close your tab on #4 (step above).
If by any chance you lost / closed the tab on #4, you can still proceed with the lottery by going to the game website , and clicking on the red button during the specified hour.
-As mentioned, click that "I want to start the game" or "Website Red Button" when the second hand ticks on the specified hour! If today's lottery is 18:00, then the clock tick when 17:59 becomes 18:00 is the time you should click either of those buttons!
-If you do this, you shall see the "waiting image".

640px-Lottery1.jpg

From here, you'll need to refresh the page after every 5 or 10 minutes, see Tutorial how to know the actual interval. Refreshing less than the interval (e.g. 00:04:59) will lessen your chances! Closely related to "Important Note" section at the bottom.
To read interval, see the 10 in the text, that means refresh every 10 mins (read below for refreshing, it's important)
-Clear cache before refreshing. Clear cache when its only 10 seconds left. Anyways the timer I suggested will play a sound, so you can switch to the game tab beforehand.
If we are going by the waiting screen from the example, REFRESH THE PAGE EVERY 10 MINUTES AFTER THE WAITING SCREEN SHOWS UP AGAIN
If you want, get a countdown and set it to the time you want to refresh, and reset AFTER you see the waiting screen again.
REMEMBER, as to every lottery there are winner and losers, doing everything exactly by this WILL NOT guarantee you a place in the server, but it will help immensely
Example is it took me 4 tries before actually getting to get on a server.
If you did it, there should be a sever(s) with not red symbol next to the name
If you didn't, all the servers should have a red symbol next to it BUT to be sure click on every server to make 100% sure.

There's my instructions on how to play Kancolle for anyone interested, any questions leave them in the comments below so I can maybe answer and maybe tomorrow I'll post on getting started with the game since it's all in Japanese
Remember once you set sail and start playing the game, USE THE KANCOLLE WIKI OR ELSE YOU WON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING unless you can read Japanese.
lil things

Also if you're curious, there is no nsfw anywhere in the game, just possibly ecchi damage artwork for some ships.
ALSO, there is voice acting in this game and some girls on the wiki page actually have the voices there, like kongou's (scroll down and you'll see).
Pros: Get boat waifu and there'll be plenty of good art of her
Cons: Get boat waifu and there'll be plenty of nsfw art of her

So, I'm watching the anime and it's... okay, but the game sounds interesting...

For us people that doesn't understand japanese... it's somewhat playable with wiki and stuff, or very, very difficult?

It's been about a month for me and I've gotten used to the japanese you'll always see, like main menu and some daily quest.

At first it may be difficult but the wiki WILL help, use http://kancolle.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial:_How_to_Play and it'll tell you the basics of everything you'll need to know.

It's been about a month for me and I've gotten used to the japanese you'll always see, like main menu and some daily quest.

At first it may be difficult but the wiki WILL help, use http://kancolle.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial:_How_to_Play and it'll tell you the basics of everything you'll need to know.

Oh...

And because I watch the anime... of the girls that appear in it, which are usefull and which are early-game garbagge... I want my Yamato, my Akagi and my Kongou

Edited by Hinaru-Sama

Well every ship type got their ups and downs, submarines have the lowest stats but they're pretty much attract all enemy's attack (I don't know for sure if it's all all enemy attacks because i dont have one yet). I have no clue who's best of all the ship types, I pick my ships usually design wise.

You can get Akagi from doing a certain quest, a drop from somewhere, or construction.

Kongou is a drop around World 2/3, or via construction.

And Yamato is only accessible via large ship construction (i'll explain this later on during the week on op).