Mael's Travel plans thread

Maelstrom

When I get out of the military, I have to drive my car back to my home of record, since the army won't ship it for me. And in any case, I'm not going straight back- I'm using this opportunity to take a road trip.

So far, I've only got two main stops-

New York

Florida

Oh, I do have step-family in Maryland and been to DC from there a few times.

So, if you guys know of some good places to stop and see/eat/whatever along the way, I'm all ears. And if it is fine with you guys, I wouldn't mind stopping by and seeing some of you guys.

For instance, Phoenix and Ice come to the fore as people I know who live in NY. Oh, and Req, but who knows where she's been off to.

Ikaru and Inuki in FL. And Brave is somewhere around too.

Feel free to remind me of who lives where. My memory isn't the greatest.

The main idea of this thread is for me to finalize my travel plans, working it with you guys in mind and hitting up some places that people have gone before and enjoyed. Or knowing which places to avoid.

Well, i don't know when you'll be driving through, but here in Maryland a lot of nasty weather has been hitting us, and is supposed to continue at the least through this week. Otherwise, have a nice trip.

On top of that, I do know one thing: Golden Corral. one of the best places I've been out to to eat. There is quite a few of them here, and one might make a good stop. Other than that, however, I don't go around too much. So, again, have a good trip.

What are your limits as for travelling? (ex. just sticking to the US?)

That being said I'm surprised Denver isn't on your list - it is a fantastic city to visit, a lot of stuff to do around CO as well. (Like Pikes Peak, if you can appreciate the view from a mountaintop.)

In NY, eat breakfast in a Le Pain Quotidien. Best brekkie places in the city. Very homey, not so expensive.

Well, in Florida I'd absolutely go and watch a Heat game. And eat in Hakkasan. But that gets super expensive super quickly. Oh well. Best places to see in Florida used to be the Keys. Now they're a tourist dump and compiling that with a long long long drive down south I absolutely don't recommend it. But the best thing with it is the driving through the small isles.

When are you starting?

My constraints are primarily to the east coast. I have to drive from North Carolina and eventually find my way back down to the most western tip of Texas. And skipping the trip north to NY is looking more attractive each day, to be honest.

The quickest and most direct route from here to home is straight down to Florida, then straight west through all those southern states. New Orleans might be in the cards.

So yeah, Colorado is certainly in the cards for the future, but not as of this trip. Traveling across the north with this weather... and what seems to be far fewer major tourist attractions along the way... Not gonna happen. I've traveled with my family north from TX to CO before, but you gotta remember that this will be in addition to the straight road trip route that is already over 1,800 miles if I just go straight from here to my home in TX. I will most likely be tired of driving by then. Honestly, the 250 mile, 4 hr trip from there to my college in NM was taxing enough.

As far as food, I'm looking for more local, site specific stuff. There are Golden Corrals everywhere and they're not exactly cheap, since I lump it in with fast food chains as far as average quality goes (mmm, gotta love that bread). I don't mind spending more for high class restaurants and stuff, as long as they're worth it. I know I'll be stopping by some famous BBQ as much as I can when I get around the east Texas area. (there is that one that has superlong lines that start hours before open and is first come first serve until they run out, so I'm not holding my breath.)

Hopefully, I'll be starting out as early as the 27th of this month.

Hell, looking at a route from here to at least Orlando and then going west through New Orleans and straight home is 2,300 miles

Just looking at the mileage alone, I really might just cancel the whole leg going up north. :wacko:

I mean, look at the stats on it with just this.

Compared to Tennessee places, Daytona Beach looks like an easy work in, and maybe a place to spend more time at in compensation for not going north.

Speaking of North, my car doesn't handle the snow well, even with studded tires on. It's just too light, and bringing the studded tires for my front wheels will take up a LOT of space in my trunk that I will almost certainly need to fill with provisions and other things to cut down on costs as I travel.

So... when are you coming to Europe? :P

Eventually. Truth be told, I would go visit Japan first. And that might be in the works too.

We will have to hang out, Erick. You probably know the east side better than me now. especially since I rarely ventured out so far from my cozy nest on the west side to town When do you move?

I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC but it sucks here so don't even bother.
If you're going to hit up FL then you could visit Charleston, SC along the way. It's neat. I would suggest going along the Gulf Coast some? New Orleans is pretty neat, and if you go that way you can go Houston->Dallas->Oklahoma City if you don't mind going slightly north of your destination before getting there.
I've also thought of Albuquerque as a nice place to visit but that would require overshooting your destination a bit. But it doesn't seem /that/ bad to me.

I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC but it sucks here so don't even bother.

If you're going to hit up FL then you could visit Charleston, SC along the way. It's neat. I would suggest going along the Gulf Coast some? New Orleans is pretty neat, and if you go that way you can go Houston->Dallas->Oklahoma City if you don't mind going slightly north of your destination before getting there.

I've also thought of Albuquerque as a nice place to visit but that would require overshooting your destination a bit. But it doesn't seem /that/ bad to me.

But I hear Myrtle beach is a cool spot to hit from the other guys here. I just never made plans to go whenever I had an extended weekend.

I was in Charleston for a day, because that's the port they shipped my car to when I moved over from Alaska.

And yeah, I am definitely looking at a south coast travel plan through Houston and San Antonio. Idk about OK City or Dallas though.

And actually, I'll be going to Albuquerque in the end. Like, the very end. I should be taking classes there in the Fall, so whenever I'm done with my actual trip, I gotta go up there for registration things and figuring out where I'm living and parking things.

But I hear Myrtle beach is a cool spot to hit from the other guys here. I just never made plans to go whenever I had an extended weekend.

I guess it's alright to visit. Typical tourist place though; once you live here, it gets boring after a while. But I suppose it can be a good one-off visit.