• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am starting to wonder whether or not our protagonist (accidently?) kills someone someday. Like Fern...

shivers

On one hand I really don't want to have to kill anybody, not even Fern.

On the other, it would add a completely new depth to the game if we, the player, were to kill someone, whether by accident or not.

It's not implausible for Reborn. And when I think back to the fact that we basically did have the choice to tell Blake that we'd rather sacrifice Heather than to give him the ring...

Please don't hurt my fragile little heart; I'm Neutral Good aligned for a reason ;_;

Fern is just an asshole. He doesn't even deserve the PP killing him would cost.

But killing our enemies would be logical I think. Meteors don't have unlimited forces, we often see the same grunts. So if you kill those grunts on sight, they would lack of grunts to attack again. If we would have started to kill them after Kiki's death, when Meteors tried to kill a lot of people, we could have killed most of their forces. Yureyu, Tanzan Cave, Vanhanen Labyrinth... Killing all Meteors there could have prevented them from attacking Labradorra. Especially since the survivors would have left Meteors : they already all now they can't beat us.

I know we will not kill all the grunts we see, but killing at least some leaders could be a good thing. Sirius for instance. Dangerous killer leading several operations. ZEL, not really bad (Zero is but Lumi clearly not) but creator of PULSEs : no Elisabeth, no PULSE, no Tangrowth destroying two wards, no Camerupt making Pyrous exploding, no Avalugg to make Ametrine starve, no Clawitzer to bomb Calcenon...

I can see how we might be required to kill eventually, but I don't think we will be doing so multiple times or "just because it would be convenient".
Reborn already has a character who fulfills that exact role: Saphira. She is implied to be the strongest among your allies, and she has shown several times already that she is willing to kill anyone who stands in her way.

I don't think it'll be the player's purpose to turn into the resistance's new killing machine.

The game has put too much focus on the tragedy of this conflict; on how both sides are suffering losses over the whole thing, and I believe that in a way, the player is special exactly because they're not one to solve problems by killing.

I can imagine that at some point, we might have to (or accidentally do so), but overall, to me it feels like a role we don't fit in.

Edited by Ama

I can see how we might be required to kill eventually, but I don't think we will be doing so multiple times or "just because it would be convenient".

Reborn already has a character who fulfills that exact role: Saphira. She is implied to be the strongest among your allies, and she has shown several times already that she is willing to kill anyone who stands in her way.

I don't think it'll be the player's purpose to turn into the resistance's new killing machine.

The game has put too much focus on the tragedy of this conflict; on how both sides are suffering losses over the whole thing, and I believe that in a way, the player is special exactly because they're not one to solve problems by killing.

I can imagine that at some point, we might have to (or accidentally do so), but overall, to me it feels like a role we don't fit in.

Now I've got thoughts of Cain killing people with flirtation and singing. Or knocking them off a cliff with his Nidoking...

Now I've got thoughts of Cain killing people with flirtation and singing. Or knocking them off a cliff with his Nidoking...

We attempt to kill Lin, only to reveal it was Ame the whole time!!!

You mean to say Cain's a Siren? Now THAT's a plot twist.

I've honestly grown too attached to all the characters to want to see any of them dead at this point. They're all special in their own way. But I can see how some characters like Lin would be impossible to go down any other way. Just a gut feeling, but some characters really would rather die than surrender, and Lin strikes me as one of those.

Sirius is at heart a coward. He's scared of Lin, remember how he panicked at Tanzan? He was more willing to pretend you are a Meteor, and thereby potentially saving your life (if Solaris trying to take you out is any indication of how the leadership deals with threats), than to admit that an enemy even got this far, let alone helped them.

You mean to say Cain's a Siren? Now THAT's a plot twist.

I've honestly grown too attached to all the characters to want to see any of them dead at this point. They're all special in their own way. But I can see how some characters like Lin would be impossible to go down any other way. Just a gut feeling, but some characters really would rather die than surrender, and Lin strikes me as one of those.

Sirius is at heart a coward. He's scared of Lin, remember how he panicked at Tanzan? He was more willing to pretend you are a Meteor, and thereby potentially saving your life (if Solaris trying to take you out is any indication of how the leadership deals with threats), than to admit that an enemy even got this far, let alone helped them.

He only tries to act scary but in reality... Sirius is just a lost soul who can only follow ones orders and that's why he's scared of Lin (It's not fact, just speculation).

I know we will not be a killing machine yes, but I'm almost sure we will have to decide (if not kill) if someone has to live or die. We saw Meteors killing a lot of people, including friends. As you say we also saw that Meteors aren't all bad guys who just want to rule the world, some of them are good persons who have made the wrong choices, and they also have friends and family. But up to now we were just spectators, seeing killings with no influence. Even beating Solaris' Garchomp on Mt Pyrous had no influence.

Deciding whether or not someone must live could be a "test" to conclude with all of that. You witnessed all, good or bad, for both sides. Now you have to choose.

And yes, Sirius is probably a coward. The kind of guy that dangerous for people weaker than him, but who will run faster than an Manectric if he has to face someone stronger. But no, he's not just a good soldier following orders, he loves power and killing I feel

getting attached to villain characters is suffering

Like I said, I can reasonably see how it might be possible that we will have to make a decision over life and death. it just fits in too well with the plot, and seeing how we have already been asked whether or not we would sacrifice a person twice within the past bits of the game (by Sirius and Blake, respectively), it's not illogical that sooner or later, the answer we give actually takes or saves a life.

It didn't matter (now) for Heather that I told Blake I'd keep the ring, but if the game keeps going this route... welp.

I just see it as less of a planned thing and more as something that'll happen unexpectedly.

So the part of your post where you ruminated over killing off Meteor leaders got me thinking a bit, because while it would be a good thing tactically, I just don't see it being actually planned out, rather happening as a thing of opportunity.

Heh, trust me, I don't like Sirius at all as things are right now c: I'd like that precious Poison girl back, yes?

Not Taka. I think he will rather join us against Meteors. Maybe ZEL. A body controlled by Zero, a bad and dangerous guy, but with two good girls (or one at least, not really sure for Elisabeth) who would die with him. With a small phrase from Lumi just when they die to make us hate that death we caused... Yes, it's a possibility.

>inb4 you get to kill one and it's someone most people don't want to kill, like Taka

Isn't Taka one of the main reasons why Solaris even is on Lin's side?

I think Lin would take him down before any of us have anything to say about it, tbh.

Isn't Taka one of the main reasons why Solaris even is on Lin's side?

I think Lin would take him down before any of us have anything to say about it, tbh.

Since when does Taka specifically support Lin? Or is there something I'm not getting

Not Taka. I think he will rather join us against Meteors. Maybe ZEL. A body controlled by Zero, a bad and dangerous guy, but with two good girls (or one at least, not really sure for Elisabeth) who would die with him. With a small phrase from Lumi just when they die to make us hate that death we caused... Yes, it's a possibility.

Well, I'd rather say that the reason Zero retains so much control is because Lumi isn't confident enough to oppose him, and Eve sees helping Team Meteor as the only way to get hers and Lumi's bodies back. If those two were to decide that they don't want to deal with that crap any more, I doubt Zero could stop them.

Lumi undoubtedly dislikes Team Meteor's actions, and Eve seems to care for nothing but Lumi and herself.

I wouldn't say that Eve is good or evil, it looks more like she refuses to give a damn about anything that isn't related to her goal. She can't afford to care, not if she wants to save what's left of her family.

• Administrators

Everything is done now. We're starting alpha. Beta will follow pending fixes from that. After a week minimum + bugfixing + the completion of a few other misc. things, there will be, for the first time, a soft-public release, available only to forum members. When that proves to be stable, it will be put up on the main download page.

To reiterate Jeriberry's point though:

Please try to say something more that "X% hype!!!" in your posts here. We will be counting content-less posts as unnecessary.