The effects of music on your mood

Deleted User

32 members have voted

1. 1. How much does the music you listen to effect the way you feel at any given time? (1 [lowest] - 10 [highest])

• 10 (It can define my day one way or another)
    • 1 (It has little to no effect on my mood for better or worse)

So recently I've found myself going back and forth a lot on the types of music I've been listening to and I've found that at least for me the music I listen to greatly effects the mood I'm in. If I'm listening to music with negative vibes, it ultimately leads me to feel what the songs is projecting. Regardless of how I've felt up until that point I feel what the artist or band puts out vicariously. I know that is not all that much of a surprise, but my main question is how much do you resonate with your music at any given time? Why does it effect the way many feel or act? Why does it effect some more than others?

Music makes my day everyday. That's why I make sure to listen to plenty of upbeat tunes. Certainly, there's time for solemn ones, but those are for nights when I need to stay up and think. My other senses are a bit dulled in comparison to my hearing, so I like to use this strong feature as much as possible.

I resonate with my music ALL the time. Whether by whistling, tapping my feet, tapping my hands or fingers, singing off-pitch, or walking to the beat, I have difficulty passively listening to my music. There's so much weight and potential in song and sound that it takes multiple listens to dissect a piece, both to find little gems or flaws. It's nearly an activity for me, really.
From a nebulous standpoint, I argue that music is a creation that we use to improve our lives. For that reason, it is to be used as a tool for inspiration to act, celebrate, reflect, relate, release, shelter up, and a million other things more. It affects the way we act because our ability to output work is based on our desire, need, and capability to do so- music can improve our desire and, if the music is inspiring enough, can improve our capability to do work.

As I mentioned before, my hearing is my sharpest sense, so I use that best by listening to music and hearing out others. Additionally, I've been blessed with great quality music, headphones, and the desire to seek out these outstanding songs. It's in the desire to improve another day- both for myself and others- that I search for music and the reason I search deeper into just a single song to find reason to push onward, finding more music and continuing to live on happily. It's a self-sufficient cycle, I like to think.

• Administrators

Music doesn't change my mood. I suppose I play music to suit my existing mood, which like, duh? If a playlist isn't consistent with my mood it just gets annoying to me and I turn it off or change it.

I also listen to music pretty constantly when I'm working (and god I end up starved for playlists) but I don't pay attention to it. I'll notice silence cuz it's boring, and if a really good song is playing, it'll catch my attention, otherwise it's just like background noise.

The singular exception, when music does influence my mood, is a certain album I have. It tends to lift me out depression fairly reliably.

• Global Mods

I guess around 3, for the poll. Music doesn't have as strong an effect on me as it does most other people, but there are 2 types of music that do:

Sad music can make me sad, so I don't listen to it.

Fast-paced, upbeat music makes me feel energetic and creative.

Took me a while to realize that music does affect my mood a lot. Finding a good track after searching for a while, or listening to some of my favorites tracks after a bad day, really lifts my spirits. It's very hard to find me without my earphones. I think music might have become something that i do not simply because "i like it". I think it's more important than that, but i can't say right now.

As for the latter question, music dictates my mood. More than i'd like to admit.

>>9

Edited by Vinny

• Support Squad

The moment when a song starts playing at literally the perfect moment like it's outta a film or something can make me so very happy.

I've got a lot of respect for music itself for the same reason I respect writing and to a lesser extent art. It's the modern manifestation of the creativity that literally elevated us above our place in the food chain and allowed us to progress.

It's totally random for me.. There are times when it totally reverses my mood and times when it makes no difference at all.. Though generally it does make a good deal of difference since I hate not listening to music.. So I'll give it an 8..

I usually listen to music depending on what my mood is. I do listen to some songs that can easily change my mood though. Usually listen to some up beat songs to motivate me. When I feel like I need to chill out, I just listen to some calm music.

Music can do a lot of things for me in terms of how I feel. Some comforts me when I feel down, some makes me feel happy, like some rock and jazz, and some just makes me feel pumped. Especially when I'm driving and listening to it and I know all the words to the song that's playing, it can just give me this burst of energy lol. And then I just want to go to a concert.