Question of the Day

• Global Mods

What is more important when making a judgment, the means or the ends? - [9/28/2015]

They're both important, but I think the means determines whether or not you should go through with it. I'm not a believer in "the ends justifies the means". If a town was damaged from some kind of natural disaster, I wouldn't be in favor of some official like a mayor forcing all the townsfolk to work for no pay in order to fix it. The end goal of repairing all the damages is good, but the method is bad. There are other ways to do it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9/25/2015

Well i'm no youtube star but I think I can sing pretty well

9/28/2015

depends on the end and what the means are if by killing one man you save a thousand it would in the end depend on what the man is so really it can be a bit subjective.

The ends, if they justify the means. If the overall result is good, so if the positive results at the end of it all outweigh all the bad done along the way.
So killing a man to save 10, a-ok sure, we could also get into who/what the people in question are and that's something to take into account, but I'm just describing the idea here. Burning a house down to kill a spider, nope but understandable, fuck spiders :P

Edited by Etesian

This is one of those questions where my heart is screaming "the means" and my head is screaming "the ends."

I think if means are unavoidable, then obviously the end justifies the means - but that doesn't make it a moral decision more than it would just be a decision that may prevent the loss of more life than necessary.

If there is no reason a decision like that should be made in the first place, than the means are not justified by the end. It -is- very situational.

Are you usually late, early or right on time? - [9/29/2015]

I have the talent to always narrowly miss trains. Always.

I even manged to miss a train twice despite being at the station an hour early. Once because I was getting some food, and once because I spent too much time in the book store.

The odds of me being on time are probably around 10%

There's also that time where I almost didn't get back to the hospital before curfew, and only made it back by the exact minute thanks to my friend driving above the speed limit. Oops.

I'm terrible.