Speaking of Tolerance :)

Zen

So, the three of us seem to be a magnet for crass comments on PO, which frankly doesn't bother us (oh look, a magneton pun!) :P

But anyway, since we've come to Christmas and soon the New Year, maybe it's time to count ourselves lucky that Reborn's always been a tolerant community, and to perhaps make it a resolution to keep it that way :)

While you people on Reborn have always been polite and civilized, I came across this old video, and felt that it may be good to help everyone here remember why Reborn has survived as it has. The video did bring to mind the frequent 'speak English or leave' nonsense on other servers, and the fact that people who speak various languages still can coexist peacefully in this community.

The video below was a Chinese New Year advertisement by the late Yasmin Ahmad, a rather gifted Malaysian director. It is about filial piety, and is entirely filmed in the Chinese dialect of Hokkien. Just take a look at the comments, and while Reborn's stance on proper English is good, keep in mind that other languages can have a beauty within them too :)

Have yourself a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year :D

Hmm, I thought there were subtitles on it? Sorry, but can't really do much about it, since she insisted on filming the individual festivity ads in their mother tongues :)

Basically, it's about a bunch of old ladies in a home comparing their children's success in life. The last one, whose son is apparently not as successful, is visited by her son, who takes her on a trip during the Chinese New Year, while the others who had doctors/lawyers/auditors as their children weren't visited.

Might be a tad stereotypical, but it did get her point across, aha.

• Administrators

I mentioned to someone recently, I can't remember who, it might have been you, or one of you- that I actually think Chinese is one of the prettiest languages. However, the no-English rule is simply to provide justification for muting randoms who come in and start speaking portugese- that appears to the regulars only as spam. It is, of course, encouraged for those people to take the alternate-language to a separate channel or PM. I just feel that keeping it on the main chat negatively impacts the majority of the community.

But, tolerance will be around as long as I am. >>

<<

I'll lock it up in a cage and keep it forever

Oh, I'm all for eradicating spammers where are my thumbscrews and torture devices? :)

Just that sometimes, we might get carried away - I'm not fluent in my own mother tongue of Hokkein, so I sometimes get on my relatives' case, alas. So I figured a holiday's reminder may benefit others, just as it reminded me of my own shortcomings :D

If someone makes a MLP reference.

I'll come to your house and burn you alive.

Topic: Ame's right, the spam of Portuguese is annoying, have two languages at the same time is somewhat hard.

Reborn should try a world language center back-channel. That could be interesting.

Hmm, I thought there were subtitles on it?

Speaking in Hokkien, subtitles in Malay, doubt they'll understand :/

I mentioned to someone recently, I can't remember who, it might have been you, or one of you- that I actually think Chinese is one of the prettiest languages.

Me? :o

Lol. I liked talking to the portuguese speakers in spanish. Not quite the same, but close enough to figure stuff out. plus it annoyed the hell out of you guys. como se dice 'troll' en espanol?

Anybody remember lady puma? I didn't until Cyrus mentioned the portuguese thing. =3