Japan or Australia

Maelstrom

Because few people want their midtour leave early in deployment (and we can't all go on leave at once, you know), I've got leave sometime towards the end of the month. The army will pay for a ticket to just about anywhere I want to go. So, question is... the beaches of australia during their summer or japan?

Also, suggestions on where to go and what to do, specifically. Like go see mount fuji, enjoy a famous onsen, or go visit steve irwin's zoo. Things like that.

• Administrators

Sorry Winter, but I have to vote Japan.

I'd be so jelly

Smuckers would have nothing on me

If you can, check out the island of Yakushima. The whole thing is just one giant rainforest, and you can hike through it, to the top,- there are stone shelters, ancient shrines, and it's so ridiculously gorgeous.

• Administrators

>Call us biased

>Vote Australia

... << >>

Anyway this should really be your own decision, since it's basically your vacation; it's a question of which you want more, I think...

Go to the moon!

Lol. It's still a hard decision. I started making a to-do list of things I'd really like to do/see in each country. And then I forgot to bring the notepad I wrote it on with me to this computer, so here's what I remember.

Both:

Visit the beaches

Hit on the women

Sample the beer

Zoos

Aquariums

Japan

-Mt. Fuji

-Okinawa

-Akihibara

-Maid Cafes and other crazy themed restaurants.

-Watch someone eat a live octopus- I'm rather reluctant to try japanese cuisine

-Anime/manga/video game stuff.

-the crazy stuff they sell in their random vending machines

-shrines/ festivals

-see if them expensive kobe steaks are worth it

- beat up yakuza

Australia

-Great Barrier Reef, scuba diving in general (I'll have to swim with a knife so I won't be so afraid of the sharks- and to think I used to watch PBS and wanted to be an oceanographer when I was a kid.)

-Outback

-Steve Irwin's zoo

-Winter's residence

-Try new and possibly delicious meats- saltwater croc, kangaroo, and what-have-you...

really, downside to japan would probably be the food- portions are small, not enough meat, too much suspect vegetables, I'm not a fan of fish, and the sush I do like (california rolls) aren't actually sushi. Also downside is I'm nowhere near fluent in Japanese. QQ

upside to Australia- the food will be mostly familiar. Also, I speak and write English like a boss.

Also, there is a slim possibility I could visit both. I might be able to get a ticket to one place, then have a return ticket from the other, if I can get the army to pay for the tickets like that. There's still a good chance the tickets have to be round trip to the same place. Depending on flight prices between Japan and Australia, I may be able to go to both places if that's the case anyways.

Geh, now I gotta go research what events are going on at the time and see if I can maximize on scheduling.

I ain't scared of no quake. Radiation leakage though...

And I think whoever (I forget who, atm) posted this on my FB has it right "Australia is America-lite." Japan definitely has the edge up on exotic, new stuff to look at and do. Don't worry though, Australia will probably be my next out of country trip.

Still gotta find time to look up destinations in Japan. =(

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Australia, so I'm guessing you know my answer..

SUCH BIAS!

Ah well, I had to make a quick decision last week and stuff. Booked a hotel in Tokyo, Japan for 14 nights. Gonna be near the famous fish market and not to far from Akihabara. I definitely gotta take those bullet trains and travel everywhere though.

Ame, I should be visiting you guys in Colorado for Halloween/post-deployment block leave, right? Better start dropping souvenir hints while you can. And you'd better help make sure Saya will make it through her situation so she can be there when I come by. Maybe I'll get Wolf something too... MAYBE.

• 4 weeks later...