Ask the next person a question!

star-kin

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWAHAHA! No, my good sir, a horse is measured in hands, not feet.

Right now I'm watching ouran high school host club.

If you consider that a TV show.

I like Brooklyn 99, the Big Bang theory and impractical Jokers.

What's your favorite movie quote?

Mine is "I shall take care of these orphans as if they were actually wanted" (might be slightly incorrect but close enough)

I think the Sun and Moon starters look awesome! However, I'm still undecided on which one to take.

If you made a Pokémon fan made game, who would list as your inspirations (i.e Amethyst, Jan...)?

• Global Mods

I am making one, and my inspirations would probably be Ame and Jan. If it wasn't for Ame, I would've never known about any of this to begin with and if it wasn't for a fan named Jan making a game just as detailed inspired from Reborn, I never would've thought I could create one myself.

There's a human-shaped pineapple with a triangular head at your door. Do you let the triangular pineapple person in?

Of course I would let him in. I don't judge.

If you and a friend had the same idea for a Pokémon fan game, would you both work on it together (i.e From the creators of [blank] and [blank], we present to you [blank]? (Something like that, y'know, the April Fools prank that Ame pulled on us...;)

@ Juu - fuck

dem some pretty leading questions, Cool Gal, ru planning on making a game, and recruiting a seahorse army to do so?

depends on which friend. i have two irl ones that could do something like that and i'd be on it in a heartbeat, but if it was online friends i'd need to make sure we're on the same page first, in terms on how much we put into it. i've done projects before where we had a similar idea, but i spent more time nagging the other person to do their part than it would have taken me to just do it myself so i had to kick them out and that wasn't good for our friendship. would i join a team now, i feel like i'd be more comfortable working on someone elses project than being in a leading role

do you have a "type" when it comes to characters you like?

I enjoy eight hours of peaceful sleep since I asked my last question about children, went to a good day's study, had a nice lunch, check Reborn and see this -pardon the unusually strong expression- cluster**** of chatter. What on ea-- never mind.

*deep sigh* I suppose it is better then that those who do not like or are hesitant to be parents, remain that way; it is cruel to imagine bringing up a soul when one is not devoted to another person more than oneself, for such is the nature of a true parent.

Also *squints at weenie* what does this mean?

it's endearing, hearing that from you, Viri.

Are you implying that I would mercilessly reject kids, or endorse the customization of their genetics as if they were Barbie dolls, because they didn't have the correct IVs or nature, until I get the 'perfect' one? That's all very well with Magnemites and other pixelated bits of statistical data, not in real life. There is a line between eugenical research and modding kids for our pleasure which we as a responsible generation should not cross. I cannot overstate the enormity of bringing a soul into this world.

As for your question about IQ, which I also like enough to answer, we are quite arrogant as well as naive, I think, to believe that one can quantify intelligence in such a simple manner. IQ tests only record a particular kind of aptitude, and while it is an indicator of specific proficiency, it does not give a simple answer of who is smarter or dumber; that stems from man's abominable desire to pride himself over what his neighbour lacks. I can make a case about Octopus intelligence as an analogy to different kinds of aptitude in different spheres of life, that do not conform to our paltry quantifications. It is not often to hear an accountant rail against quantifying things, but brain is one topic where everyone has equal potential, just wired differently and capable of achieving different wpitomes with differing ease or difficulty.

And as for you "type" of character, I want a more specific question.

My, I'm quite riled up today. I need a bar of chocolate. While I fwtch one and finish my day at work, I'll ask the next person what they think about the state of humanity as of today, with reference to our generation and the one of the people who currently run things.

*stalks off in a fine temper*

Ah, my bad.

No, I didn't mean to insult you – don't take this the wrong way, but you lay it on thick with your talk about having this fairly... I can't seem to find a good word, impassive? personality, and I've seen you compare yourself to Mewtwo scientists at least twice. So even if I know that you have strong ethics in real life; you made a post about the ethics of Pokémon battling, after all – it's rare, at least as far as I've noticed, to actually see you mention about that side of you. It was careless of me not to specify that I what I was talking about; I'm sorry that I stepped on your toes, and I will to be more considerate about it in the future.

But I really appreciate that you tell me when I inadvertently cross a boundary, like with this or K8, I've mentioned before that I find it hard to talk online and keep a joking tone when I can't gauge people's reactions to what I say. I've seen you do it with other too, but nevertheless, thank you.

And I really agree with you on the intelligence argument – there's a distinct need in society to rate humans after things they can put a number to, and I feel like the entire concept of IQ is a product of that. As you said, it doesn't even calibrate the whole span of of what intelligence is – only the tiny fraction of it that we can easily test people's aptitude at. I find it frustrating that so many adults put so much value into it when it comes to their children – not that it's entirely unimportant, but it tends to undervalue attributes like being positive, hard working or friendly, which in my opinion will get further in life.

It also strengthens the tendency to value personal characteristics above actual accomplishments, which is, frankly, a horseshit.

That's a hard and incredibly vast question, Viri. I'll try to tackle a part of it, but if there's something completely else you wanna get at, feel free to bring that up instead.

We're heading towards a society clearly more driven by individually than it's ever been before, for good and bad, blast and burned. Right now it feels like the world is trying to break down the barriers if what a person is supposed to be according to their upbringing and social class, and we're becoming better at being more accepting and even kind towards one another. But on the other hand, it's much much harder for a person to find their place in this society – there's very few leads to fall back in, which leads to more self-doubt and depression, especially since a lot of the expectations on the individual of the "old world" are still there, but the means to get there has scattered. And it worries more how this generation seems to overlook the bigger issue to focus on themselves and the issues surrounding them, a great example would be Bernie Sanders campaign, where he started out about talking of class gaps, Wallstreet and the importance of unions and worker-regulated wages, and now he talk an awful lot about the LGBT community and women's rights - which ARE important issues, but imo, they're not the primary reasons you should vote for Bernie Sanders. I don't know if you follow American politics at all Viri, but hopefully this is an example international enough.

We're, however, doing a good job out of slowly but surely dismantling toxic systems that's taken way too much place for way too long. Studies show that atheism is the fastest growing religion in the world right now, and for a good reason – there's nothing wrong in believing in something, if that makes you feel safe or belonging, but the curbing of rights Christianity among others is getting is long overdue; the system is being abused.

I feel like the next step we should do, besides the things already being worked on, is to better prepare our countries for a new multi-culture; disassemble holidays from religious overtones and assign new ones surrounding achievements and international co-operations. I recently had a day off for Dies sanctus ascensionis Domini, Ascension Day, which absolutely no one I know celebrated at all, few even know what it means. They could make Science day, November 10, a holiday instead, or make the Science Day in February an international event; that might actually accomplish something.

I could rant about this for a loong time. sigh

Would the world be a better place if all leaders of dictatorships and their closest circle got assassinated?

Edit: made the post longer

Edited by Halloween

I'm not giving you 15 minutes. Time is invaluable.

Just kidding! But, in response to your response to my response to your first response to my initial statement, relax. I'm not offended, and you need not treat me like fine china. I'm merely clarifying a point, since it seemingly seemed as if I seemed to have unseemly sentiments, or lack thereof. That, and I'm blatantly trolling now.

In all seriousness, you're probably familiar with the part if me that likes to make puns and taunt people, and the part of me that is detached from emotional considerations when expressing dispassionate views or making pragmatic decisions. Let's label them, because we all love labeling things, in Pokemon terms as Prankster Viri and Analytic Viri, eh?

I've not had occasion to publicly display emotions much in life, being rather a cut-and-dry sort of fellow, but that does not imply a lack of sentimentality, and especially not a lack of morals, but rather the reverse. In fact I'm very rigid with those; not mere ethical conduct, mind you, but morality: principles of right and wrong and everything in between. That's what my Steel-type preference should have conveyed: rigidity of moral fibre, not coldness or apathy. I may joke or talk about breeding and Mewtwo scientists and stuff, but that's in a completely different context.

To answer your fresh question, democracy is the only concept for any form of leadership to run on, if it hopes to function long-term. It sucks in some places because of the screwed up ways in which it is conducted and corrupted, but there's no way in which a nation can be run by one all-powerful entity, at least not anymore in today's world. I won't express a stronger view.

My question: What is your view on cloning?

EDIT: I won't check this again for at least four hours. Expect no response until then.

Somehow it's the "I won't express a stronger view" that makes your answer clear enough.

Science is my shit, and my view on it is unquestionably fairly aligned to the corner of "were so focused on whenever we could that we didn't think of whenever we should"; in other words, I support cloning because it tests our knowledge about DNA and microbiology. I don't have a strong view on the ethics surrounding it, nor of the result of the cloning itself, although of course a successful one is more preferable – but even if we never make a mammoth or a perfect clone of a human being, the research leading up there could be groundbreaking. I would support making a human clone, just to see if we could, because in the future, the science surrounding it could help us make complete replacement of bodies for people that's lost use of theirs in accidents, or grow babies outside of a woman's body. advance advance advance

Should people with opinions that hurt other (ethic, etc) groups of people be allowed to spread those opinions, as long as they don't use slurs doing it?

Well, surprise. I'm here two hours ahead.

I'm glad about the greater scientific orientation of thought, but I rather regret the loss of spirituality across the world, even here. Mind you, there is a wide difference between what the world loosely calls religion (and which is more properly referred to as dogma) and what is spirituality; the same confusion which people associate with the distinction between mythology and philosophy. To believe in a greater force is logical and beneficial, if only to tone down our egos and deflate our opinions of ourselves as sentient masters of the world who can do as they please with no consequence, but to believe that one must do -this- or kill -them- in order to pay obeisance to such entity is barbaric and backward in today's world.

It is important to know that while the world today is geared towards the pursuit of knowledge, it is not geared towards the quest of enlightenment. That is to be lamented, in my view.

To answer your question: Trump is alive, and no one is doing a thing about it. That's enough positive thought, and as for the normative, well, rhetorical, isn't it? Opinions are just that: opinions. We are bound to disagree, but as long as one is civil, as I believe, any debate can remain so as well.

Perhaps this merits a thread of its own...I do like this kind of discussion.

I don't want to sound like I'm 85, so here is a simpler question: why did we let this thread which talked about food and anime turn into weighty world deliberations? Or rather, why did you let ME do it, since I am responsible for this turn in the talk, at least in part.

I think you're more than two hours ahead of me, I'm not from or in the UK

I'm not entirely sure if I'm talking about the same thing as you are now... But I'm of the opinion that everyone must be able to share their opinions with no legal consequence, because individuals should not have the right to judge what's right and wrong. Then it's up humanity as a group to make sure they don't spread – a great example are the nazi demonstrations in suburban western Europe – they should have the right to have their demonstrations, but I almost see it as a duty to be there and make sure the bullshit they spew don't get heard.

I would not want Trump to die, to be honest, I don't think he is to blame for the mess he's causing. He's a moron that happened to be at the right place at the right time; his entire campaign is big "We don't need solutions for our problems – we need a scapegoat", and that has proved to effective pretty much worldwide right now. If it wasn't him, spreading his idiocy, we might have had Ben Carson in his place, and that would have been worse. Same goes for dictators – the it's the system we need to change, not the current person in power. If my questions implied otherwise, it wasn't intentional, I'm just interested other's opinions on the matter.

About the spirituality... I don't know. Which I understand is a pretty unsatisfactory answer, but you're probably right – as much questions about spirituality interest me, I don't know what it means outside out religion. But would you make a thread, I'd be all over it. Just make the topic vague so that the mods can't warn us for furthering the discussion in a different direction, haha.

Nah man, Juuzou and I were talking about this stuff late page 44-early 45, perhaps a little more personal questions, like if every life is worth living, and, funny enough, they asked nearly the same thing, or rather, if I remember correctly, "Why is this thread so depressing"

Would inserting a temporary dictatorship in times of crisis, such as war or natural disasters, be a decision of any merit?

This does merit its own thread. See you tomorrow in the Philosophy Club in the Trainer's Journal!

And for now, goodnight. I defer answering your question for the present, and instead ask you this: how are you today?

nngh can't you ask me about the meaning of life instead

i saw you mention the Bhagavata in the showdown by the way - sorry i didn't type anything, but i was on mobile, and I type so slowly on my phone the conversation sorta moved on, keep calling me out thou - I've heard some of the Bhagavata Purana, but I'm not really sure what or from what book; they tried to explain it to me, but it was like, it's 18 of this and this is the first one, which there's 12 of –– I just lost track, but if your Philosophy Club has obligatory reading material I'm in.

I'm quite fine, in a weird way – it's like my mood is disconnected from all the stress I should be under, haha. Which also means I get nothing done...

So for the next person, whoever that may be – which person has inspired you the most in life?

I am looking forward to the launch of Philosophy Club!

The person who has inspired me the most in life is quite probably either Albert Einstein or Oda Nobunaga, as both overcame innumerable roadblocks in their lives to become the game-changing colossuses is that colossuses or colossi? I can never tell that they are known as today. Einstein specifically in the pursuits of science and academics and Oda in the art of tactics and defying the odds. I can't accurately choose which one I look up to more, but if I had to say, I would likely choose Oda since I have always felt somewhat dejected as a second son and Oda overcame the fact that he was also the second, and often overlooked, second son.

Okay, now onto my question. If you could rewrite one historical event and no, we're not debating the ethics or potential repercussions of doing so, just answer the question , which would you choose and why?

oh that's easy.

i lost a sister in the 2004 tsunami. she might have died in it anyway, but she was snorkeling so she was like... double-screwed. my homegal was also in thailand during that time, she's thai, but luckily far away from the tsunami, and i wasn't old enough to fully gasp that people dies anyway, so I wasn't too worried. anyway there was a guy that was like 100% sure this would happen, but no one listened to him. you probs know where im going with this

great choices for inspirations too, i think

if you were offered a place on a space shuttle to mars, as one of the first persons to ever go there and thus write history, but never to return to earth, would you take it?

Hmmm ... must be that one time I was lost in the forest because my teacher FORGOT me. However, I found my way back home, or else I wouldn't be here.

(LOL, but really, I'm typing this from a cave in that forest I was lost in as a child. Don't ask why there's internett in a cave, though)

If you could learn any instrument, which one would you pick?