Darv's VGC Teambuilding Thread

So guys. Reignited did another OU teambuilder thread, so I'll get into this. I'm also bored as hell and need something to do before I go back to school, other than games, so I'll help you scrubs or clueless to help build a VGC team. As with Reignited, I have similar rules.

1. Gimme a core or theme you want to work around. I'm willing to do weird or uncommon Pokemon in VGC, but not something outlandish or unviable, or else I'll turn you down.

2. I need time to update these, seeing as my computer time is spotty right now.

3. VGC teams only.

So throw out some requests m8s.

Give me a Prankster Murkrow with Perish Song and Tailwind and Taunt, and perhaps a tanky Gothitelle to pull a Perish Trap. Mega Gengar is cool too, if you don't want to use the Mega Slot on something else, to double resist Uturn and use Icy Wind on any Lando-t trying to escape. I know Murkrow is NFE, but I think it's a viable doubles Prankster.

PS. Haven't played ORAS or XY, sorry if any of these is unobtainable there!

I'm gonna leave your teams kinda flexible in terms of moves and items, because some of these sets require scrutiny on the parts of you guys, but anyways, here is what I got.

Odybid

Murkrow @ Eviolite

Prankster

Careful Nature

252 HP 72 Def 180 Sp. Def 4 Spd

- Protect/Quash/Featherdance

- Tailwind

- Taunt

- Perish Song

I hope you can pull this off man. Murkrow is not the best Pokemon in the world for Prankster, but this is what I'll give you. It's utility comes in more with Featherdance and Quash, which are great moves. You can sacrifice Protect to fit in Quash or Featherdance, but it's the best I can do.

Gothitelle @ Sitrus Berry

Shadow Tag

Calm Nature

252 HP 252 Def 4 Sp. Def

- Psychic

- Thunder Wave

- Protect

- Helping Hand/Heal Pulse

This Gothitelle is literally ripped off Smogon, minus the Trick Room for T.Wave because TR conflicts with Tailwind. Helping Hand is there to help boost your buddies, and the rest is somewhat staple.

Gengar @ Gengarite

Levitate (Duh)

Timid Nature

252 HP 210 Spd 28 Def 18 Sp. Def

- Protect

- Shadow Ball

- Substitute/Disable

- Perish Song

As much as I hate to do this, more than 1 Perish Song Pokemon would be needed if you wanna run Perish Trap. Standard Mega Gengar Perish Trap set, and whether you wanna Sub or Disable is up to you since both are very useful.

Togekiss @ Rocky Helmet

Serene Grace

Bold Nature

252 HP 28 Def 164 Sp.Atk 4 Sp.Def 60 Spd

- Air Slash

- Protect

- Follow Me

- Dazzling Gleam

Togekiss will function as a nice redirectional Pokemon to sponge up Taunts and singular dished out attacks.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf

Intimidate

Adamant Nature

252 Atk 252 Spd 4 HP

- Earthquake

- Rock Slide

- Knock Off

- U-turn

Standard as a safety net Pokemon as they come. You need some form of REAL offensive pressure on this team, and Lando-T is about as good as it gets.

Greninja @ Focus Sash

Protean

Adamant/Jolly

252 Atk 252 Spd 4 HP

- Low Kick

- Ice Punch

- Gunk Shot

- Acrobatics/Rock Slide/Night Slash

Greninja serves as your check-all to most Pokemon that your team can't cover alone. You can swap Sash for Life Orb if you want.

I guess your team theme is Perish Trap toolbox. Feel free to test it out as you wish.

Sinkuro

Sylveon @ Choice Specs/Pixie Plate

Pixilate

Modest Nature

252 Sp. Atk 52 Def 200 HP

- Hyper Voice

- Shadow Ball

- Psyshock

- HP Ground/Fire/Protect

Standard Sylveon spread, and the item depends on whether you want to hit harder or have an option to Protect. You will be spamming Hyper Voice most of the time anyways.

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash

Prankster

Timid Nature

252 Spd 252 HP 4 Def

- Taunt

- Tailwind

- Encore

- Helping Hand

Whimsicott is designed to get your team the momentum and keep it going. Although Taunt practically destroys it, Whimsicott will be outspeeding most relevant Taunters anyways.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry

Huge Power

Adamant Nature

244 HP 252 Atk 12 Spd

- Protect

- Belly Drum

- Aqua Jet

- Play Rough

Your form of priority and hard hitter fodder in here. Fairly simple set, derived from OU.

Togekiss @ Rocky Helmet

Serene Grace

Bold Nature

252 HP 164 Def 4 Sp.Atk 28 Sp.Def 60 Spd

- Protect

- Follow Me

- Air Slash

- Helping Hand

Your redirectional Pokemon and ally helper just like Whimsicott. This has nice synergy with Azumarill.

Altaria @ Altarianite

Cloud Nine

Modest Nature

252 Sp. Atk 196 HP 60 Spd

- Protect

- Hyper Voice

- Fire Blast

- Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor/Tailwind

Mega Altaria is the only weather negating Fairy I can think of, at least with it's base form. With Tailwind, Altaria wrecks a lot of stuff not resisting it with good attacks. Last slot comes down to preference.

Terrakion @ Life Orb

Justified

Jolly Nature

252 Atk 252 Spd 4 HP

- Protect

- Close Combat

- Rock Slide

- Quick Guard/Earthquake

I tried man. I tried. If you want a fighting chance, your team is walled so hard by Heatran and Charizard among other things. Terrakion is your counter answer to anything troubling your Fairies.

It's a safety net team with a mono fairy core. That's the jist of it.

Hope you guys like the teams. They're rough drafts, but you oughta try them out for yourselves. I made them as best I could for your wishes. Enjoy and wreck face.

lieloom w/ sd bisharp pls. its a core i used a lot back in '13 and it works great with set-up sweepers, especially bulky ones. bisharp isnt that bulky nor is it good as a set-up sweeper in vgc, but id like to see you work around this. you'll need some way to deal with status as well as priority se moves and earthquake. also, if i were to suggest any other partner, talonflame (support w/ taunt/wow/tailwind or just offensive) and volcarona (rage powder support to further help the set-up sweepers or standard quiver dance) are the best ones i can think of right now. thundurus is also a pretty nice mon. btw no drumarill or cm cresselia pls.

these are pretty standard, but here are the sets i used before:

Liepard @ Dark Gem

Ability: Prankster
Level: 50
EVs: 156 HP / 100 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Encore

- Swagger

since dark gem is currently not available (and will probably never be again), id suggest either dread plate, eject button or red card as replacement.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Protect

Bisharp @ Life Orb

Ability: Defiant

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Sucker Punch

- Iron Head

- Swords Dance

- Protect

you can also switch the life orb/sash between bisharp and breloom, but imo, loom needs the sash way more than bisharp does.

Offensive heatran, modest with a charcoal, it's overheat is one of the only ways to secure a OHKO on ageislash, and OHKO on Zard Y in the sun, charcoal over choice specs, so you can sitll protect. Noot to mention flash cannon melting away fairies.

Oops read this wrong, thought we were giving you suggestions so here is one for ya.

Edited by Magus

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for making you guys wait a while. I was swamped the last week. Anyways, here you go.

Gore The LieLoom team

Liepard @ Blackglasses

Prankster

156 HP / 100 Def / 252 Speed

Jolly Nature

- Fake Out

- Encore

- Foul Play

- Swagger

Other than Encore there's nothing you could really do to make the set any better except maybe that Taunt denies slower Prankster Pokemon any movement of their moves, which at the end of it all comes down to what you want more.

Breloom @ Focus Sash

Technician

252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

Jolly Nature

- Spore

- Protect

- Bullet Seed

- Mach Punch/Superpower

Standard Breloom set once again. There ain't much you can do to change it. I have been running Superpower to a great effect as a power move, and that's more if you have speed control, which I may include.

Bisharp @ Lum Berry

Defiant

252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

Adamant Nature

- Sucker Punch

- Knock Off

- Iron Head

- Protect

Swap SD from the original set for Knock Off, and you're game. Knock Off has gained much more utility with the real boost in power and STAB. I swapped LO for Lum since people tend to like burning or paralyzing or sleeping Bisharp. Other than that, there is no other real way to run Bisharp.

Landorus-Therian @ Life Orb

Intimidate

252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

Jolly Nature

- Protect

- Swords Dance

- Earthquake

- Rock Slide

Here's a setup sweeper I bet you didn't expect. Lando-T is generally gonna spam EQ and Rock Slide anyways, particularly with the Scarf version. I slapped LO on this to maximize damage with Lando-T while maintaining the properties of speed while given the option to setup sweep. You still have the generic EQ and Rock Slide tools that standard Lando-T has, but the extra option to destroy other teams. Also when paired with the next mon, you'll see why.

Zapdos @ Weakness Policy/Sitrus Berry

Pressure

36 HP / 64 Def / 212 Sp.Atk / 196 Spd

Modest Nature

- Thunderbolt

- Tailwind

- Heat Wave

- Roost/HP Ice/Protect

Zapdos was an interesting choice I decided to add into this mix. Unlike it's buddy Thundurus, Zapdos has much more attacking utility as well as Tailwind, and the fact I could fit this in makes it a real gem. The last slot and item are up to preference. Since you don't have a Sitrus Berry yet, you could run that. Or run Weakness Policy which is pretty useful in catching and taking advantage of Icy Winds and Rock Slides which tend to not come from STAB Pokemon and are often spread. This also goes well with Lando-T EQ spam.

Gengar @ Gengarite

Levitate

52 HP / 20 Def / 172 Sp.Atk / 20 Sp.Def / 252 Spd

- Will-o-Wisp/Disable

- Protect

- Shadow Ball

- Sludge Bomb

Mega Gengar is about the near perfect solution to glue this team together. With an ability to dodge Lando-T's EQ as well as other EQ's (before Mega ofc) and being able to trap in most of the Pokemon screwed up by your teammates, it's function is to keep in the threats you don't wanna deal with later.

Shadow Tack The MegaMence team

Salamence @ Salamencite

Intimidate

64 HP / 188 Sp.Atk / 252 Spd

Modest Nature

- Protect

- Hyper Voice

- Fire Blast

- Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor

You asked for MegaMence and you shall recieve as special. It is Modest to maximize hitting power. Speed EVs always ensure it will outspeed most common base 100 positive natured Pokemon, like Charizard Y, Mega Kang, and Mega Gardevoir. The set is fairly staple on special MegaMence, and Draco Meteor or D.Pulse depends on preference.

Breloom @ Focus Sash

Technician

252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

- Protect

- Bullet Seed

- Mach Punch/Superpower

- Spore

Exact same staple Breloom set in OU minus Protect. Superpower is there because I find it an effective and consistent power move. Although you may want to go with priority.

Heatran @ Leftovers

Flash Fire

252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spd/ 4 HP

Modest Nature

- Heat Wave

- Earth Power

- Substitute/Flash Cannon

- Protect

This is a standard and very effective Heatran set. Heat Wave hits both opposing Pokemon, and Earth Power gets around to opposing Heatran and annoying Aegislash that hard stop Heat Wave. Substitute is one of the best annoying moves to use with Heatran, although if you prefer hitting Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir more, you can go Flash Cannon.

Clefable @ Sitrus Berry

Unaware

252 HP / 156 Def / 28 Sp.Atk / 68 Sp.Def / 4 Spd

Bold Nature

- Protect

- Icy Wind

- Follow Me

- Helping Hand

The best redirection the game has to offer so far, and goes hand in hand with most of your attackers.

Milotic @ Rocky Helmet

Competitive

148 HP / 172 Def / 132 Sp.Atk / 4 Sp.Def / 52 Spd

- Protect

- Icy Wind/Ice Beam

- Scald

- Recover

Serving as your anti-Intimidate and Icy Wind, Milotic is another heavily underrated Pokemon. Since you already got 1 Icy Wind user, you may not want 2 if the other team carries Defiant or Competitive. Milo pairs well with most of the Pokemon on the team.

Aegislash @ Life Orb

Stance Change

252 HP 252 Sp.Atk / 4 Sp.Def

Quiet Nature

- King's Shield

- Wide Guard

- Flash Cannon

- Shadow Ball

I'll spare you the Weakness Policy since you don't have an LO on your team yet. Wide Guard hard stops the annoying spread moves that plague the meta and LO allows more hitting power without you needing to take a super effective hit.

Jericho Togekiss Scarfed team

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf

Serene Grace

252 Sp. Atk / 212 Spd / 40 Def

Modest Nature

- Fire Blast/Heat Wave

- Aura Sphere

- Air Slash

- Dazzling Gleam

The whole point of this team you wanted.in the first place. Air Slash is the go to spammable move and everything else is just pure coverage. EVs ensure you barely outspeed every positive natured base-120 Speed (particularly Mega Salamence)

Thundurus @ Life Orb

Prankster

252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

Timid Nature

- Thunderbolt

- HP Ice

- Swagger/Protect/Thunder Wave

- Taunt

Just because Thundurus has Prankster doesn't mean you always have to use it to the fullest. This set is a real good LO set that's fairly generic. HP Ice is to.catch Lando-T and MegaMence switch-in and net OHKOs. 3rd slot is up to preference. I'd prefer T.Wave in that slot.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash

Thick Fat

252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

Adamant Nature

- Protect

- Icicle Crash

- Earthquake

- Ice Shard

Mamoswine goes in tandem with 2 Pokemon that are immune to Earthquake and also checking Rock types. The set is fairly generic of course. You can swap Icicle Crash for Superpower if you want, but you then lose your ability to effectively kill the x4 Ice weakness Pokemon.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy

Stance Change

252 HP / 252 Sp.Atk. / 4 Def

Quiet Nature

- King's Shield

- Wide Guard

- Flash Cannon

- Shadow Ball

Standard Aegislash set. Nothing spectacualar about it other that Wide Guard being able to protect your own EQ as well as opponent's spread moves

Rotom-Heat @ Sitrus Berry

Levitate

200 HP / 88 Sp.Atk / 220 Spd

Modest Nature

- Will-o-Wisp

- Thunderbolt

- Protect

- Overheat

I honestly prefer a defensive set on a Rotom, but your team will want Fire coverage. The set aims as a standard attacker set with the status you'll need in WoW since you lack an Intimidate.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite

Scrappy

252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

Jolly Nature

- Protect

- Power-up Punch

- Sucker Punch

- Return

Believe me. You won't need Fake Out with this set. Priority in Sucker Punch, and more than enough speed to deal with a lot of the meta, you don't need it. The aim here is gaining sweeping potential with 2x Power-up Punch and then proceeding to wreck face with Sucker Punch and Return. Most mons in the meta cannot survivr a +2 anything from Kang usually.

As usual I'll still be taking requests if anyone wants me to build them a team. I'm always open for a challenge, so put them ideas out there and I'll show you how they can be fleshed.

Edited by Darvan Korematsu

Hiya! It'd be really cool if you can build around Volcarona+Mega Mence. They seem to have good offense synergy. Not too good with things like rock slide though, so I'll leave it up to you. Thanks!

Salamence @ Salamenceite

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Volcarona @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpA
Bold Nature