Froiky

Everyone's got them. They could just be little things that tick us off or things that make us go insane. Or a ghost from a certain set of books. Anyways, what's yours? What gets under your skin and makes you want to throttle someone? What, you don't want to throttle someone? Oh, okay. Just share. Have fun.

Obviously I have a pet peeve myself seeing as I created this topic. You know when someone is doing something (real descriptive, I know) and you ask what it is they're doing, intending to aid them once you know their problem, but they refuse to say. That's what annoys me. It would be so much easier if there were two people looking for that pair of scissors (a random example). I might know how to help someone and am completely willing to help them if I can, but they don't want my help or are to busy to consider my offer. A good Samaritan left on the side of the road. :(

Minor one. It annoys me when people say, "I could care less," when they mean the opposite.

THIS.

Mine is a weird one, but seeing people flare their nostrils infuriates me for some reason. I get annoyed to the point of feeling sick.

I hate it when people say "do you mind" something. I'll usually answer no (meaning no, I don't mind) but they'll always get confused. Also when people use apostrophes when a word is just a plural (e.g. You need two egg's in the cake.)

I hate it when people say "do you mind" something. I'll usually answer no (meaning no, I don't mind) but they'll always get confused. Also when people use apostrophes when a word is just a plural (e.g. You need two egg's in the cake.)

That's why I always say "Go ahead." But if not said clearly enough, it can sound like "Go to hell" or "Give me head" or something else that gives a completely different impression than what you meant to say.

• Administrators

Once upon a time in college I made the mistake of taking four discussion classes at once. Now, that's fine-- except for it became disgustingly apparent to me that students only use the same four opening phrases in an academic free-for-all. I cannot hear the phrase "to piggyback off of that" without cringing.

My other biggest one is when someone says "no problem" or "you're welcome" after I say 'thanks' to a compliment or something of that nature. Saying those things makes it seem like the original compliment was just said for the other person's sake or as a formality, as opposed to something genuine.

I have a similar experience involving students and opening phrases. Whenever I take part in one of those initiatives where students can meet writers and ask them questions about their books, there is always that one student who stands up and, before getting to the point and asking the damn question, beats around the bush for a quarter of a hour, beginning by saying "In your book, you seem to focus on..." and proceeding to explain the deepest meaning of the book TO THE PERSON WHO WROTE IT.

Once the italian mathematician and all around interesting guy, Piergiorgio Odifreddi, during the presentation of his latest book interrupted one such student by saying "I know what I wrote in my book, thank you". I love that man.

I get really annoyed when I start working on homework and all of a sudden, everyone who is in the house starts being really loud and they know I'm working. And then they reply with 'You can do it elsewhere'. When you can't access internet anywhere else and it's people who don't live in the house saying that to me, I wish I could just open up another dimension where I could do stuff in peace :(

• Global Mods

When people ask if they can ask you a question. They already did, and chances are the question is way too personal.

I don't like phrases like "Can I ask you a question?", "Come here", and "Can I talk to you about something?" because the tone people say them in always sounds so ominous, like I'm in trouble or something. Then it turns out to be something silly like a youtube video. I'd rather they just get right into talking about it/asking the question.

Edited by Ice Cream Sand Witch

Slow walkers on public transport. My friend and I are of the opinion that there need to be three lanes for tube escalators: standing, walking and running. Slow walkers in school are annoying as well. Everyone's hurrying to classes, and people clogging up the hallways are not appreciated.