Pokémon Go - Discussion/Expectation Thread

DashingStorm

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's one thing we should probably clear up right now, its that the trailer is of course not accurate, as we're going to see in the final game. I'm guessing that the game will actually function like some sort of Dream Radar/Google maps hybrid, where you might get to see a Pokemon on the screen and then interact with it, in battle or whatever. You will probably be able to trade with FB friends or those in your WiFi radius. That being said, if they actually did something like Mewtwo, it would take a shit-ton of cellular data, but if Nintendo actually bought out a few screens in Times Square or whatever that could actually come true to an extent. We'll see.

This.

Any time I see a trailer that either doesn't show any gameplay footage, or only shows a few seconds of it, I immediately assume the actual game will be terrible. This is no exception.

It has potential. The first X/Y trailers looked a little odd.

Where did you see the gameplay o_O . Maybe I was wayyy to focus seen Mewtwo getting teabagged by hundreds of Pokes...

Turn to the last 5 secs or so. You get a glimpse.

The game has the potential to be a money maker BUT Nintendo will have to spend so time and effort on it to be successful.

-1 vs 1 battles, hopefully with at least 3 pokemon each

-the ability to get most stuff for free even if most of them are expensive

-Decent graphics

-A minor storyline(Because if they just make it a game where you battle and trade, I'd rather waste my wifi on showdown.)

But that Snorlax on the Bridge made me laugh so i'm hopeful about it.

Edited by ej190

• Developers

Inb4 everyone dropping out of school to be an irl Pokemon master. But imagine if oculus or hololens got behind this idea, I can literally feel all my dreams coming true.

Edited by Caz
  • Upvote 2

When I 1st watched the trailer, I could only think about it being largely false advertising. I know it's common sense to not assume that the real thing would be like in the trailer, as in, basically hologram pokemon around the world, but false advertisement is false anyway

That said, since you're going to be seeing everything through your phone screen's camera, well... it really isn't that much different than walking around with your 3ds in hand and watching the pokemon on your screen as you're playing one of the games. My 1st mental image about pokemon GO was a bunch of people doing silly things on their phones as the crowd stares at them as if they were insane. Hell, I doubt we'll even be doing any form of motion like in trailers... rather just pressing a button on the phone screen and "catch" a pokemon or something. The idea is nice enough anyway, it can probably give off a more "real" feel to explore your town and find random pokemanz in every corner, but that's gonna depend on just how interactive the whole thing is going to be. Needless to say, it's free, so I'll try it out for sure.

The false advertising is setting off alarms for me. Of course, it's going to pull some revenue from the sheer amount of die hard Pokemon fans that would be willing to dump their money into whatever pay-to-win format it has. But it's never a positive thing for a game to have a trailer that shows an over-the-top representation in the place of real game content. Whether or not the game is good, plenty of unknowing people will be disappointed by the fact that the actual game play will not live up to the trailers. See: Power Glove. If it doesn't outright flop, Pokemon Go will be crippled by failed expectations.

As for the content itself, given that the trailer doesn't show us anything of the real game play, I will only speculate on this: if they have AR content like the video seems to imply, I'm unconvinced that AR works well enough yet to be practical. Given that the whole gimmick is to get people to go around different places to catch Pokemon, the AR would have to function in extremely diverse locations. It would reasonably need to deal with varied lighting, environment, and at least some people and other things moving around in order for it to be practical. Taking all that into consideration, I'd be really impressed that a free smartphone app actually has any AR. If it does at all, it will be extremely and annoyingly limited.

The false advertising is setting off alarms for me. Of course, it's going to pull some revenue from the sheer amount of die hard Pokemon fans that would be willing to dump their money into whatever pay-to-win format it has. But it's never a positive thing for a game to have a trailer that shows an over-the-top representation in the place of real game content. Whether or not the game is good, plenty of unknowing people will be disappointed by the fact that the actual game play will not live up to the trailers. See: Power Glove. If it doesn't outright flop, Pokemon Go will be crippled by failed expectations.

As for the content itself, given that the trailer doesn't show us anything of the real game play, I will only speculate on this: if they have AR content like the video seems to imply, I'm unconvinced that AR works well enough yet to be practical. Given that the whole gimmick is to get people to go around different places to catch Pokemon, the AR would have to function in extremely diverse locations. It would reasonably need to deal with varied lighting, environment, and at least some people and other things moving around in order for it to be practical. Taking all that into consideration, I'd be really impressed that a free smartphone app actually has any AR. If it does at all, it will be extremely and annoyingly limited.

glad im not the only one upset by the false advertising in that trailer

No matter how it ends up, honestly, this is always a first step into something way more interactive in the future. Just taking this concept and doing so much more with it when the tech becomes more available. It feels like we're getting closer to something more of real world pokemon.

No matter how it ends up, honestly, this is always a first step into something way more interactive in the future. Just taking this concept and doing so much more with it when the tech becomes more available. It feels like we're getting closer to something more of real world pokemon.

Even though I'm a huge Pokemon fan, I hate to admit I feel this is going to flop hard. I mean people said the Wii U was a flop (still love that thing more than the Wii), but I have a feeling this would be worse. If you look past all the advertisement, this is just a glorified Poke Walker...with less features and uses. It could just be me as I'm not really into all that freeware and Iphone stuff.

you know, re-watching this trailer...there's some things that've caught my attention.

firstly, it's the lack of children. seems odd for a Pokemon game. the 'trainers' are almost exclusively young adults, young adults trying to portray older teens...etc.

secondly, the catchphrase is back to good ol "Gotta catch em' all!!" not to say it ever wasn't, hah. but i certainly heven't seen it said so prominently in YEARS. as an example, see the gen 6 box-thingies. I can't really find the phrase "gotta catch em' all" anywhere, X and Y is just "the next evolution in Pokemon!" and ORAS is "Ancient powers reawaken!"

and lastly, DESPITE telling you to catch em all, not a single Pokemon in that trailer was newer than gen 1! Of course, everyone expects the Pikachus and the Charizards and the Mewtwos to appear, but they even dipped into the more...ignored Pokemon like Geodude and Nidoran♀.

you see, Nintendo is not targeting kids with this trailer. This might be the most deliberate marketing I’ve ever seen from Nintendo geared towards the 20+ audience. They’re finally cashing in on the life-long trainers that started their journeys with GameBoys and GameBoy Colors in their hands.

That’s not to say that Pokemon Go wasn’t made for kids… c’mon, it’s a Pokemon game! But, with this, it’s apparent that it is definitely also made for us. And it’s gonna be interesting to see where Nintendo goes with that.

this has been a PSA

you know, re-watching this trailer...there's some things that've caught my attention.

firstly, it's the lack of children. seems odd for a Pokemon game. the 'trainers' are almost exclusively young adults, young adults trying to portray older teens...etc.

secondly, the catchphrase is back to good ol "Gotta catch em' all!!" not to say it ever wasn't, hah. but i certainly heven't seen it said so prominently in YEARS. as an example, see the gen 6 box-thingies. I can't really find the phrase "gotta catch em' all" anywhere, X and Y is just "the next evolution in Pokemon!" and ORAS is "Ancient powers reawaken!"

and lastly, DESPITE telling you to catch em all, not a single Pokemon in that trailer was newer than gen 1! Of course, everyone expects the Pikachus and the Charizards and the Mewtwos to appear, but they even dipped into the more...ignored Pokemon like Geodude and Nidoran♀.

you see, Nintendo is not targeting kids with this trailer. This might be the most deliberate marketing I’ve ever seen from Nintendo geared towards the 20+ audience. They’re finally cashing in on the life-long trainers that started their journeys with GameBoys and GameBoy Colors in their hands.

That’s not to say that Pokemon Go wasn’t made for kids… c’mon, it’s a Pokemon game! But, with this, it’s apparent that it is definitely also made for us. And it’s gonna be interesting to see where Nintendo goes with that.

this has been a PSA

Maybe there's a lack of children because little children shouldnt roam around the city alone? XD Just guessing, idk ;x Or it could just be that pokemon finally realizes the majority of its fandom is actually young adults

probly because little kids can't afford cell phones unless there parents get them one...

Maybe there's a lack of children because little children shouldnt roam around the city alone? XD Just guessing, idk ;x Or it could just be that pokemon finally realizes the majority of its fandom is actually young adults

probly because little kids can't afford cell phones unless there parents get them one...

true true. but the kids'll play the game anyways, amirite? like steal their sister's phones and stuff...*memories of little brother resurface*

yeesh-

i still find it odd that there weren't any Greninjas? Lucarios? and whatever else kids like these days. .m.

If it's going to become as good as everyone hopes it to be.. It's gonna be terrifying.

Just imagine, you're sleeping at 3AM and suddenly your phone pokeball thingy rings and you see a Mr. Mime creeping at the side just watching you.
Ay caramba.

I think many people will set their expectations too high due to the trailer. This being a sort of "1st try" thing, I'd say don't set your expectations too high cuz it likely will not be as advanced and stuff as it suggests :P also dont forget it will have in-game apps that are paid so there'll be that too

If it's going to become as good as everyone hopes it to be.. It's gonna be terrifying.

Just imagine, you're sleeping at 3AM and suddenly your phone pokeball thingy rings and you see a Mr. Mime creeping at the side just watching you.

Ay caramba.

That is not an image I can ever get out of my mind.

Creepy...