Your least favourite plot cliche in gaming.

Omega_Ra1der

Games where your character doesn't really feel like a character, just an avatart o interact the game with. Dark Souls suffers from this and there feels like very little personal motivation for you to be doing what your're doing. You're effectively a puppet that just does whatever somebody tells you too.

Really I think Dark souls, good as the series is, sucks at storytelling.The world building is fine(the lore people love so much), but the story feels disjointed and half baked, and the endings are always flat out terrible.It always felt more like they came up with an interesting backstory and setting but could never piece together a coherent main story.

I haven't played Dark Souls, but based on your explanation, I'm not sure if that's the case or you don't get hooked by the mechanical transference...As explanation compared to a different game, the next link:

It is a very similar mania that drives Dark Souls, I believe.

Yeah, most of the tropes I'm not fond of are mainly concerning the protagonist and its actions (except one I stated earlier).

That goddamn 'chosen one' trope in particular (that is the crux in so many YA-movies)...it can go ease on a cactus for a while, imo. (Kung Fu Panda subverts it greatly, though.)

Looting innocent people's homes as the hero does feel awkward, too. (e.g. Zelda, Bioshock Infinite...) I've heard Chrono-trigger did something very creative with those tropes (involving a court), although I don't have the game nor played it.

You could alleviate such things by actually have such arse-holery being punished, for example in RPGs (I think, classifying games is hard) to have (some) shop prices raised or them to close completely, less NPC's giving you gifts or helpful/vital advice, changing mood of party members or fully defecting from you...

I think it's mainly a matter of some (I'm not going to put a number here) developers not considering (so much) looking at what the mechanics they implement convey...with all its consequences, mainly immersion break.

That timer thing earlier discussed could be used greatly to increase immersion when not hidden from the player (Majora's Mask the great example of this). It could be very interesting as a challenge run, too, forcing you to complete the game before the "in-game"-timer is over (example: events take place over a week in the story, so you only have what in-game represents such a period of time to beat it)

(Could it be...? 1000th post? Yes!)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Could it be...? 1000th post? Yes!)

Congrats!

i haven't played much, so most of it all has been covered, but I second the convenient amnesia.

when muteness is used in a way that the character just seem Forrest Gump-style mentally challenged is another one. though i haven't watched forrest gump, just seem the honest trailer but hey totally counts.

i think zelda does it pretty good, but Pokémon... sometimes it's like

"What happened?

Oh! So you say that this and this happened? Well then, then you must run (forrest run) to this new city and do this! do you understand me y/n?"

if they tell first repeat what i presumedly said and then tell me what to do next imma assume they don't think highly of my intelligence. And that the player character is drooling

As I don't exactly play many other games apart from Pokemon, I hate how they always stick to one story line, your ten, fatherless, get given a starter by a man/woman with the name of a tree, have to take on gyms and beat an evil team to fight the Champion.

I think you should have the option of doing gyms or contests, sorta like in the anime and another thing is, make the evil team more like in Reborn where they actually kill to get what they want, but it is a child friendly game so I doubt they would add the Reborn style evil team.

Mmh. I always wonder why these things always have to have a villain with a grandiose pla. To destroy or take over the world with an extremely elaborate plan and then they just vanish after being 'defeated' by the player.

We ought to have more realistic bad people, who are more like the true villains of the world: corrupt officials, despotic politicians, megalomaniac business honchos, and so on. And they may have different goals: power (not the world nuking kind, but dominion over others) or wealth or some vice, idk.

Then again, that's not really the premise of a fantasy game, is it? To real, perhaps, and not enough action.

"Quick! To the Bat-Fax!" doesn't sound as thrilling, for instance.

• Global Mods

You could alleviate such things by actually have such arse-holery being punished, for example in RPGs (I think, classifying games is hard) to have (some) shop prices raised or them to close completely, less NPC's giving you gifts or helpful/vital advice, changing mood of party members or fully defecting from you...

I think it's mainly a matter of some (I'm not going to put a number here) developers not considering (so much) looking at what the mechanics they implement convey...with all its consequences, mainly immersion break.

Link's Awakening did this. There's a shop where you can distract the owner and walk out with an item, and from then on everyone will always call you Thief and if go back in the shop, this happens:

PROBABLY NOT A GOOD IDEA TO OPEN THIS IF YOU HAVE EPILEPSY

tumblr_no71sppGTm1rl04amo1_500.gif

Link's Awakening did this. There's a shop where you can distract the owner and walk out with an item, and from then on everyone will always call you Thief and if go back in the shop, this happens:

PROBABLY NOT A GOOD IDEA TO OPEN THIS IF YOU HAVE EPILEPSY

tumblr_no71sppGTm1rl04amo1_500.gif

That's pretty cool :) . Why didn't Nintendo do such things for breaking people's possessions (pots etc.) later on? (Well, at least we have the chickens now...)

There is one I really dislike and think is such a horrible cliche in games, books or even movies.

I just really dislike how the main character accidently creates drama between two characters that are either friends or lovers. I really can't stand being the main character and being in the middle of two characters who fights over something silly that I caused because reasons.

Forced relationships, the point of a relationship is to allow a character to mature and grow with another through, they should be optional. However when it is forced I find it really hard to give a flying fladoodle about them.

Protags and antagonists who had SO much potential and so many options, but ignore those routes and options. Mostly applies to villains who could have done so much more, but are so poorly written and linear.

Also, insane plot twists. Plot twists can be done well, or not. Sometimes there are so many it's like the writers just keep adding them because they think people will like it or it makes something good. See: Dangan Ronpa (I love DR don't get me wrong, it's just sometimes the plot twist is so asinine it really would have been better without)

And, pointless killing off of characters, and making characters for One. Sole. Reason.

I'll elaborate by saying the one sole LGBT background character who tragically dies so people can say there was representation and then never acknowledge the LGBT community ever again.