Special or Physical Lucario?

Mortally Divine

Training a Lucario for a monosteel run, I was wondering if I should make him a special or physical lucario?

Thoughts for Physical

Close Combat ( Might switch out for something else, like Shadow Claw)

Swords Dance

Brick Break

ExtremeSpeed

Thoughts for Special

Aura Sphere

Calm Mind

Dragon Pulse

XXXXXXX

extra info

Naughty Nature

IV

Just wondering what you guys think

Alright, a special lucario sounds good, I'll teach it Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, Calm Mind, Dragon Pulse. Decent moveset, I don't really need a steel move on it (I kinda have that covered :P)

Thanks for the help!

BTW: I probably wont ever get around to fixing its speed IV, I've never liked breeding for perfect (or even decent) IVs

I always go special Lucario (Special + Speed)

I tend to run something like:

-Wise glasses/expert belt

-Aura Sphere

-Dark pulse (Sometimes dragon pulse)

-Psychic

-Calm mind

Psychic is great for taking down fighting types, dark pulse for ghosts and psychics (is psychic supereffective vs lucario?.. maybe not) Dragon pulse for dragons. obviously, they're tough. Aura sphere just for the STAB and nevermiss. Calm mind is a generally good move imo.

That's just me.

Technically, this is lacking because it has no ground counter, fire counter or steel moves.

This is just what I like, it also tends to throw people off, they don't generally expect a dark pulse, psychic Lucario.

And those are awesome moves.

So yeah.

If Physical

Close Combat

Crunch

Swords Dance

Metal Claw/ Bullet Punch

Special (I reccomend)

Aura Sphere

Dark Pulse

Nasty Plot

someday Flash Cannon/

There aren't too many special Steels out there, so you might get walled by a pokemon with great physical bulk. Dark/FIghting/Steel is like perfect coverage, but you should breed to get Nasty Plot/Crunch. It's so worth it.

I'm not a huge fan of breeding, so I might replace dragon pulse with flash cannon if I ever need to. But it seems like dark pulse / aura sphere and a buffing move are pretty constant, and everyone is telling me to go special, so (also since I've already started down that path) I think that's what I'll do.

Edited by Mortally Divine

Actually, Lucario doesn't learn Nasty Plot through breeding. Rather, it learns it at Riolu at Level 47 so you easily run a Special Lucario without breeding (unless you want Priority Vacuum Wave, then you would have to).

That was like Gen IV tho. I don't think even Reborn was out for Gen IV, rather it was during Gen V. Either way, the only way Mortally Divine could get Vacuum Wave without manipulating the Episodes is through breeding. But he stated above that he probably isn't gonna do it since he's not a fan of it so oh well.

I checked all:

Riolu is hatching from an egg in Reborn: Event Eggs had event egg moves in E14 at least: Maractus had Leech Seed and Spikes, Riolu has Crunch and Vacuum Wave. Riolu also gets Vacuum Wave from the Move Tutor in Agate in E14.1. Also, since E14.6, hatched moves are relearnable via regular Move Relearner.

So Special or Mixed Luc are fine too

Honestly, I would go mixed. Pick a neutral nature or one that lowers a defensive stat if you plan for him to be a glass cannon and pick 2 physical and 2 special moves. I have some mixed Pokemon myself and I notice that it tend to be the best option, albeit one that's a bit harder to plan.