Rivals of Aether.

Godot

Anyone here playing this game? It is on steam early access ATM for $15. It is essentially Super Smash Bros for PC and it is pretty fun. The characters are a bit on the Furry Bait side, but they are pretty cool. The game also shamelessly steals a lot from smash. (Cough cough Zettaburn)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here playing this game? It is on steam early access ATM for $15. It is essentially Super Smash Bros for PC and it is pretty fun. The characters are a bit on the Furry Bait side, but they are pretty cool. The game also shamelessly steals a lot from smash. (Cough cough Zettaburn)

It's actually based on the mechanics of Super Smash Bros Melee and was featured on Smashboards, so it's supposed to be a lot like Smash. I looked into it once, but was never able to download it. I'll give it another shot.

EDIT: The beetle-looking guy appealed to me most at first glance, basing purely from appearance. I'd probably start with maining him.

It's actually based on the mechanics of Super Smash Bros Melee and was featured on Smashboards, so it's supposed to be a lot like Smash. I looked into it once, but was never able to download it. I'll give it another shot.

EDIT: The beetle-looking guy appealed to me most at first glance, basing purely from appearance. I'd probably start with maining him.

Half of his moves are ripped straight from Bowser and DK. What I meant by "copied" is that the game uses the same exact moves and animations as smash characters. 90% of Zettaburn's move set is identical to Wolf's. Animations and every thing. Not similar, but identical.

I just bought the game today, and I'm LOVING it. The beetle dude is awesome. And when I found out you could wavedash, I started loving it even more. Now I just need to hook up a controller instead of trying to do things with the wonky keyboard controls.

I got maelstrom to play it with me the other day and he was really enjoying it too. I like the Burn Bros and the Beetle and he was liking the Beetle and the whale.

Yeah, I still need to play around with the beetle guy and get a better feel for his attack speeds and limitations. His pillar is a great anti-approach tool that nets him a good combo.

But yeah, Orcane is really fun and pulls out some hurt if your opponent lets their guard down and forgets about that puddle placement.

Yeah, I still need to play around with the beetle guy and get a better feel for his attack speeds and limitations. His pillar is a great anti-approach tool that nets him a good combo.

But yeah, Orcane is really fun and pulls out some hurt if your opponent lets their guard down and forgets about that puddle placement.

Those are the exact two characters that I've been leaning towards. Beetle's pillar is more fun for me than it probably should be, and can score some easy kills if you catch them with it while you're high enough in the air. Pillar -> U-tilt -> U-air works very nicely and can pretty much guarantee a kill in many situations.

Orcane feels kind of wonky at first, but I really like his puddle mechanics. His F-air seems like it can lead into some good setups, though I haven't gotten very good at following it up yet. His B-air is just crazy good if you catch them with the tip, and as long as you've got a puddle on stage he can recover from anywhere.

Orcane's Fair has a weird hit box on his back.

I haven't experienced that for myself yet, but my best guess would be that it's there because his Fair can push him pretty far backwards, so they reasoned that the momentum can damage people. Sort of like the hitbox below him on his U-Air.

$15 isn't that much money guys haha.

Besides that, Mael and I played a lot of matches last night and are starting to get decent at it. Mael was getting good at controlling space and understanding how to use Kragg's rocks and Orcane's puddle. I was also starting to get a good grasp of the burn bros and was starting to figure out some cool combos with them. I was also figuring out some cool tricks using Forsburn's smoke.

• 3 weeks later...

I really don't get why everyone is complaining about the price. I don't really see it as much of an issue, unless there's not that much content in this game.

I haven't bought this game myself, so I wouldn't know. I might buy it when there's a sale in the future, because I tend to wait until stuff goes on sale to purchase it.

I've tried so many ways to get a GC controller to work and have never been able to do it, so I use an old PS3 controller. As for the price, it is somewhat high related to current content as there are currently only 6 characters and basically two modes. Then again, it is an early access game. What worries me the most is the fact that there are only two more character slots. I was hoping for far more than 8 characters for a final version. It's an indie game though, so time and money are obviously restrictions there.