Mono - Down To Earth

wytch_doctr

So I'm starting a Ground Type mono right now. Turtwig will be my starter, and basically it's gonna be the only Ground type I have until after Julia. Oh well.

Name: Cotta

Turtwig - Twiggy: Dreams of being a powerful Curse, EQ, Wood Hammer, Leech Seed Torterra.

Impish (+Def -SpAtk) IVs: 17, 30, 31, 14, 21, 24

Soon-To-Be members: Onyx, Numel (for the Flobot)

Any tips on a Ground mono? Seems pretty tough in the early game if you ask me.

Edited by wytch_doctr

You can get female Burmy before Julia which can became Sand Cloak Wormadam. Curse Grotle is very helpful early in the game but later on you won't find many chances to set up. Also I recommend to keep Razor Leaf over Wood Hammer cause the recoil won't help you stall you enemies with Leech Seed (which is a really good tactic since ground mons are slow but bulky).
Before Florinia you can now get a male Nidoran instead of Trapinh, although you can manipulate older episode to get both of them.
Numel is a must to help with the Pulse Tangrowths, Rini and Fern!
Since Mudkip is axed you will definetely need one of the other water/ground mons. Personally I used Whiscash which is the earlier you can get and then swapped it for Quagsire. I run Hydration on Whiskash with Rest/EQ/Zen Headbutt/Aqua Tail and swept Kiki under the rain with the field boosted Zen Headbutt and EQ. But unfortunately Quagsire gives a completely immunity to water moves so I prefered it over the whiskers pokemon (if you have the time to breed recover to it, it would be even better!)
Donphan and Diggersby are also good mons you can get before Corey but they don't have strong physical ground moves at that point. I went to prior episode to get an earlier access to move relearner and got them some nice moves to make them a bit more viable!
Golem with Sturdy is also one of the best options out there, cause it is guaranteed to survive a hit and then retaliate hard, scoring many KOs.
Steelix was usable until Noel but after that Excadril was by far better. Unfortunately Exca was also axed (Ame must hate ground monoruns a lot!) and is now only available through the policeman egg.
Krookodile, Mamoswine and Flygon are your fastest options for this run so be sure to use them! (Dugtrio is the fastest but I didn't used it so I can't tell how good it is :/)
The good thing is that now you can get a really early access to Golurk and Claydol which is nice, but I haven't tried them so early to know if they are good (the 2 of them defeated Charlotte by their own late game, with one Trick Room and EQ spam!)

I think you are good to go, too bad there isnt early ground/water(SwagsireQuagsire, Gastrodon, Swampert, Wishcash, i hope i didnt miss any) around, with only one weakness that is easily avoidable~

I think you are good to go, too bad there isnt early ground/water(SwagsireQuagsire, Gastrodon, Swampert, Wishcash, i hope i didnt miss any) around, with only one weakness that is easily avoidable~

You missed Seismitoad, but for me all the other water/ground mons outclass it to everything!

You can get female Burmy before Julia which can became Sand Cloak Wormadam. Curse Grotle is very helpful early in the game but later on you won't find many chances to set up. Also I recommend to keep Razor Leaf over Wood Hammer cause the recoil won't help you stall you enemies with Leech Seed (which is a really good tactic since ground mons are slow but bulky).

Before Florinia you can now get a male Nidoran instead of Trapinh, although you can manipulate older episode to get both of them.

Since Mudkip is axed you will definetely need one of the other water/ground mons. Personally I used Whiscash which is the earlier you can get and then swapped it for Quagsire. I run Hydration on Whiskash with Rest/EQ/Zen Headbutt/Aqua Tail and swept Kiki under the rain with the field boosted Zen Headbutt and EQ. But unfortunately Quagsire gives a completely immunity to water moves so I prefered it over the whiskers pokemon (if you have the time to breed recover to it, it would be even better!)

Steelix was usable until Noel but after that Excadril was by far better. Unfortunately Exca was also axed (Ame must hate ground monoruns a lot!) and is now only available through the policeman egg.

Krookodile, Mamoswine and Flygon are your fastest options for this run so be sure to use them! (Dugtrio is the fastest but I didn't used it so I can't tell how good it is :/)

The good thing is that now you can get a really early access to Golurk and Claydol which is nice, but I haven't tried them so early to know if they are good (the 2 of them defeated Charlotte by their own late game, with one Trick Room and EQ spam!)

To be honest I don't give a wormadamn about burmy. Krookodile is great, from experience, and Mamo is a damn GOD. Flygon is gonna be good too. I might find a male Burmy for that trade. I would get NidoM but I'm not good with the arcades (if you could link the article about Voltorb flip, it'll be greatly appreciated.) I'm gonna use Whiscash, and pray for Excadrill in the Egg.

I'm also a little confused about the Golett/Elgyem/Baltoy event. It's got something to do with the totem pole in the Beryl Cave thing, right? But is it randomized between the three, or do you have to use 3 ill-fated dolls to get them all? Cause I really want Golurk. Hehe

For some reason, all the Water/Ground types seem really mediocre (except Swampert). Gastrodon doesn't learn EQ or a powerful Ground move, Quagsire's stats are meh and Whiscash's set seems the best of the three.

Edited by wytch_doctr

Certainly, in Reborn's environment, Whiscash fares the best among them, Whiscash had been one of my valuable assets on my first run, Serra and T3RR4've got nothing on her, Serra's field breaker and T3RR4 couldnt do anything that can take her out~Poor thing, totally forgotten about Seismitoad, but Tympole is my Rejuvenation Water/Dragon duotype run member for now, i've gotta say it might not be the best among water/ground gang, but he can hold the fort on its own, besides i am counting on him learning drain punch and aqua ring, since none of the water type in rejuv has recovery moves in my current progress~Quagsire learns Amnesia, which is pretty great boosting move~

Edited by TimTim

So, I was just walking down the Peridot Ward when I saw this nice chap named Hotshot Seth. I took out his Stunky, and in the middle of beating his Poochyena... Twiggy decides to miss Tackle, literally 6 times in a row. Like damn.

oh and dont forget nidoran male if you bother to grind arcade coins for it XD.

Yeah, grinding? maybe not.

Quagsire learns Amnesia, which is pretty great boosting move~

Whiscash does too. Dunno how being forgetful helps your SpDef but hey, it works.

So, I was just walking down the Peridot Ward when I saw this nice chap named Hotshot Seth. I took out his Stunky, and in the middle of beating his Poochyena... Twiggy decides to miss Tackle, literally 6 times in a row. Like damn.

Yeah, grinding? maybe not.

Whiscash does too. Dunno how being forgetful helps your SpDef but hey, it works.

Let me guess, Sand Attack?XDDDDD Yeah, i think you'd better off with Whiscash if you decided to train water/ground, Aqua Tail is a nice STAB, plus i read field effect manual for the other quiry about how to deal with Shade and apparently surf and muddy water get a boost in short circuit field and do additional electric damage(probably reasoning behind it is because of the conduction)~anf Amnesia buffs up sp def because 'Ignorance is bliss' LOL

Edited by TimTim

Oh and i found Golett after exploration to the end of the dark cave adjacent to Corey's gym, the location where a totem pole is at, but ill fated doll is required, Golurk is quite an offensive mon with screens to help its longevity, and typing is unique

Edit: first ill fated doll location in spoiler and rock smash can be obtained before Aya

Beryl Library where Gothitelle family lives

Edited by TimTim

but nidoran/nidorino/nidoking would certainly be useful against corey since it is immune to poison. well 2000 coins can be gotten easily and it is worth the time grinding.

I thought it was 3000 coins. I guess it's time to find that Voltorb flip guide. Anyways, I thought about using a Nidoqueen, but I guess Nidoking is obtainable earlier.

Let me guess, Sand Attack?XDDDDD Yeah, i think you'd better off with Whiscash if you decided to train water/ground, Aqua Tail is a nice STAB, plus i read field effect manual for the other quiry about how to deal with Shade and apparently surf and muddy water get a boost in short circuit field and do additional electric damage(probably reasoning behind it is because of the conduction)~anf Amnesia buffs up sp def because 'Ignorance is bliss' LOL

I don't know if he did sand attack actually. Maybe once, but the rest were Howls

Also for Golett, I did it on my second save but got an Elgyem, and then the Ill-Fated Doll was used up, so i dunno.

Edited by wytch_doctr

That sucks, Golurk is so much better than Beeheeyem in so many ways~You can soft reset this time for Golett?

I dunno. Every time i saw the totem pole on that save the Elgyem was on the bottom. maybe its like the Egg and is set per save.

But golett did shift down when i killed the Elgyem though. Fingers crossed I get Golett or Baltoy for this mono...

Anyways, about to fight Fern. Twiggy's Tackle may be the saving grace here.

EDIT: Kicked Fern's ass. Snivys Wrap did more damage to me than anything else combined... but mkay.

Twiggy(bae) is now Lv16, Tackle, Curse, Absorb, Razor Leaf

Edited by wytch_doctr

About the totem: the sequence of the mons is set from the begining of your game. For each encounter you need an Ill-fated doll. Before Corey you can get only one IFD and for more you need to beat Radommus. So it depends on your luck if you can get Gollet/Baltoy early. Also the totem can get you a Natu too, but for some reason it only cycles between the other 3 for me :/

If you hate the Wormadam just pick up any mon so you can do the double battles in the factory. I suggest a Trubbish cause it can take some hits to heal Twiggy, even though it breaks the monorun rules.

I used both Nidos and was pleased by both of them. I used queen as a tank with Black Sludge and Toxic Spikes/Sludge Wave/Crunch/Earth Power and king as a special attacker with Life Orb and Earth Power/Sludge Wave/Blizzard/Thunderbolt (from e12 breeding)

I suggest to breed a Mamo for Rock Slide and Icicle Crash cause I didn't and it definetely felt less stronger...

About the water/ground mons, Gastrodon and Seismitaod has the better stats but a shallow movepool. Quagsire and Whiscash has a lot more and better moves but as I said I found the water immunity a must so Whiscash didn't get a lot of time in the team (although it was very helpful)

On a side note, After e14 I decided to train a shiny Sandslash with Sand Rush and at this point of the game is really good (dunno about earlier in the game). It even survived a banded Icicle Crash from a Weavile from one trainer in the Grand Hall!

I find ground types kind of frustrating in Reborn especially doubles where stronger ground moves hurt your team as well.

Mamoswine is a GOAT, I love the dude and even without icicle crash he wrecked everytime I used him. I just HATE raising him as a swinub because swinub levels up sloooooow.

Like really most ground types are at least decent, but the early game is a killer unless you exploit voltorb flip(which I didn't) or get Numel(which I DIDN'T) and have only Grotle as your option. I mean I beat Julia somehow with just him but yeah it's an upwards climb in the beginning.

It's sonic boom that's the killer, I mean grotle with a couple of curses can handle any physical attack thrown at him, but sonicboom just sort of bulls its way past that and shave off 20 clean per hit. Hopefully the AI derps and just spams rollout.

Usually my Mamoswine was 2-shotting on average with ice shard(for pokemon weak to it i mean), but it was holding a nevermeltice and had a good nature/IVs. Icicle crash would be better for the initial hit no doubt but I like shard's priority for the finishing blow. Also while Maoswine is somewhat fast for a heavy ground type, a lot of fliers late game will outspeed him.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

Mamo's typing is not very good defensively but offensively is awesome! But still it has enough bulk to take some hits even some super effective (unless they are field boosted), plus Thick Fat gives you a nice resistance to ice that only Steelix, Camerupt and Whiscash and co. can take neutral damage! That's the reason I recomend I.Crash cause you can survive a SE hit, hit hard and if the opponent survives you got Ice Shard to finish it off. Ice Fang seemed very weak for me and there were many times I needed the rock coverage from Rock Slide (especially against Serra).

All in all be ready to get hit super effectively a lot in this monorun cause if the opponents don't have something effective against ground they will definetely have something against your secondary typings! But you have many hard hitters and since most of them get EQ you will destroy many fields with ease (I changed my Camerupt's nickname to F(ield).Destroyer :P )

Mamo's typing is not very good defensively but offensively is awesome! But still it has enough bulk to take some hits even some super effective (unless they are field boosted), plus Thick Fat gives you a nice resistance to ice that only Steelix, Camerupt and Whiscash and co. can take neutral damage! That's the reason I recomend I.Crash cause you can survive a SE hit, hit hard and if the opponent survives you got Ice Shard to finish it off. Ice Fang seemed very weak for me and there were many times I needed the rock coverage from Rock Slide (especially against Serra).

All in all be ready to get hit super effectively a lot in this monorun cause if the opponents don't have something effective against ground they will definetely have something against your secondary typings! But you have many hard hitters and since most of them get EQ you will destroy many fields with ease (I changed my Camerupt's nickname to F(ield).Destroyer :P )

I might also keep Blizzard on Mamo, just for Charlotte's field. Mamo's SpAtk THAT bad but Icicle Crash would be many times better.

Anyways, got that Onix from the Hiker fella. Do you have to get Numel during the day or a thunderstorm? cause It's raining atm and he ain't appearing. (or is it after the PULSE?)

Edited by wytch_doctr

I think merely raining is not enough, it has to be thunderstorm, you know, flickers of lights(lightning) during downpour(thats t-storm), its available even pre PULSE?

Edited by TimTim

I think merely raining is not enough, it has to be thunderstorm, you know, flickers of lights(lightning) during downpour(thats t-storm), its available even pre PULSE?

Huh. well, It's sure as hell one evasive Numel. Stormy and not there yet.

Lemme check. Stormy and Numel is supposed to be next to the Train Station?