Spriter's block

Honchy

Everyone has trouble with spriting, and that's okay, I do too (Definitely). So I created this topic so people can post their sprites and ask others for help.

I will post a sample sprite and if anyone can help me improve it, that would be excellent. :)

Note: this trainer is supposed to be a villain.

Edited by HonchcrowMackDaddy2

hmm... one thing i might suggest is that you give it legit human arms instead of scyther ones.you did say that it is a human wearing a scyther mask, so the scyther arms are redundant for that lol.

good luck!

This. Perhaps give him a machete/sword/scythe that looks like something a Scyther would have? Or give him claws like Wolverine?

Now, I hate to be that guy, but I probably should point this out. Having the Scythe blades being upside down might render them as poking weapons, as slashing with them would hit an opponent with the green part of the scythe, I believe. That's the general vibe I'm getting anyways. Perhaps adding gyroscopic shoulders to allow him to move his arms in different ways would alleviate this issue. Of course, realism is probably a lack luster concern in a Pokemon game.

Thank yous for wytch_doctr for helping me make my sprite. Now, it is you guys sharing sprites.

Happy to help :)

Here's a few I got bored and did. Nothing special, and some ended up just being recoloured sprites as I got lazy :3

Initial

Better version

Screenshots

All right, now it is time to discuss one of the most difficult parts of spriting, which is shading (debatable). I have some troubles with shading, so if you guys can help me, I would be greatly appreciated. Note: this will be used an example for sprite shading :).

Edited by HonchcrowMackDaddy2

All right, now it is time to discuss one of the most difficult parts of spriting, which is shading (debatable). I have some troubles with shading, so if you guys can help me, I would be greatly appreciated. Note: this will be used an example for sprite shading :).

attachicon.giftrainer072.png

I did say to make the lower part of the arm longer, but I think the arm in total is too... extended, in a sense. You might want to try and make the elbow more protruding and not have a curvy, rubbery arm.

As for shading, make sure not to use black outlines, unless you are outlining a dark shaded area. Otherwise, use a darker version of the colour you are outlining to, well, outline. Sometimes though, you may want to use black regardless (or close to black) to emphasize a boundary, which is commonly seen in Reborn's character sprites. But in general the colouration takes more practice and effort than skill that can be taught.

• 2 weeks later...