Paris burns

Tomas Elliot

President says they know who the terrorist are and has shut land borders, live updates can be found here.

One person in the attack just tweeted this... "Alive. Just some cuts... A massacre... bodies everywhere"

​Hostages being killed 1-1, not going to update this any more, getting to gruesome.

Edited by Solarance

... I know that Black November was a spoof of Black October, but this truly is a Black November indeed... Like seriously, why do people gotta go around and kill other people? Like, come on! I guess that's just another event that's happened on this day...

Some asshats just earned themselves a slow, painful death.

All this makes me want to get that sidearm that I've been meaning to look into, as well as concealed carry permits.

I await to see all the changes that will happen as a result of this. It won't be pretty.

sure, people can complain about how atrocious these people are, and i wholeheartedly agree.

however, it is still our fault, not just theirs.

the security, in that place, must have been (as i assume) vulnerable. the terrorists who did this took advantage of that fact.

honestly, we should be at the blame, for not being prepared enough for this. that is not to say that the personnel who are currently solving this case are bad, it is just that we should have foreseen this sooner, and prevented this in the first place.

just my opinion on this. rest in peace to the dozens of the victims who are dead, and the many more who are wounded by this intolerable act.

sure, people can complain about how atrocious these people are, and i wholeheartedly agree.

however, it is still our fault, not just theirs.

the security, in that place, must have been (as i assume) vulnerable. the terrorists who did this took advantage of that fact.

honestly, we should be at the blame, for not being prepared enough for this. that is not to say that the personnel who are currently solving this case are bad, it is just that we should have foreseen this sooner, and prevented this in the first place.

just my opinion on this. rest in peace to the dozens of the victims who are dead, and the many more who are wounded by this intolerable act.

That's easy enough to say for someone who probably hasn't done security before, nor worked in the intelligence field. And working with the benefit of hindsight to boot.

Shit gets routine really fast, and that stuff has never happened in those places before, ever. Where's the precedent for the kind of security required to spot car bombs and suppress automatic gun fire in that area?

The vast majority of the security screening they're relying on is at the borders, I'm pretty sure.

If you walked into any mall or walmart or marketplace or whathave you wherever you live, do you see anybody there prepared to face all that?

When you realize that any place where lots of people gather is a potential target, you also realize that there's no way to be able cover all of that with what few people there are proportionally in police and security services.

There's an phrase that they liked to toss around when I was deployed. "Everyone is a sensor." Everybody on patrol hears and sees different things. So it is imperative to ask everyone what they saw and what happened, afterwards. It is equally imperative that everyone talks about something that seems weird or off to them, no matter how small it seems.

And really, what needs to happen now is an awareness in everyone, especially civilians who probably never thought about it before, to be aware of what goes on around them. Things that might have been small and inconsequential before clearly have gained much more potential significance now.

Depending on how well planned these attacks are, there could be more in the near future. More likely though, there won't be because now everyone will be on their guard and too much activity will draw more suspicion than they will want.

Didn't they say that officials know who the culprits are? Chances are they were being watched, but as always, suspicion isn't proof and fewer things can be done pre-emptively and legally as a result. Which ends up leading to the whole ethical debates in the US about spying on people in search of terrorists in ways that weren't legal before. That's a messy subject that I won't touch on but you can start to see some of the logic and concerns that lead up to it.

No rest for the wicked, more will probably follow in different countries.

Some asshats just earned themselves a slow, painful death.

All this makes me want to get that sidearm that I've been meaning to look into, as well as concealed carry permits.

I await to see all the changes that will happen as a result of this. It won't be pretty.

I would like to say that, as a person who lives in the northern part of Italy (meaning that, from my city to Paris, it is literally 10 hours by train), I am veru veru scared by thoughts like these. Not that you guys are wrong: in fact, you are quite right. But that scares me.

As for the "it is our fault" and "what could have been done" debate, in Italy we say this about soccer: everyone is a great coach when they are sitting on their sofa, watching the results after the match has ended. Similar reasoning can be applied to the situation at hand. However, this topic was made out of concern for the people of Paris, and it is meant exclusively as a way to check on whomever might be from that area, and exchange updates, so please keep any kind of debate/discussion/bickering out of this. I know it is part of Reborn's nature, but in this particular situation it would really be in bad taste, thank you.

I mean, is there anything else to add to this?

Two of the people involved in this are confirmed dead, so there's that. But certainly, this is not the kind of situation that goes through people's head daily. Yep, I doubt there'd be a possibility to be completely prepared for something like this.

I have no gods to pray to, but I'll still hope for the safety of the rest of the people.

And after reading Mael's post, I can say that I am much more interested in the aftermath of this situation, now.

• Support Squad

Seeing as , from what I've heard so far, there were 5 coordinated bombings, shootings and a hostage situation with death tolls reportedly at 140+, we can assume it was certainly a coordinated attack to cause exactly what's happening here, chaos, fear and turmoil. So far, the terror has been spread by attacking the capitol of France.

Seeing as , from what I've heard so far, there were 5 coordinated bombings, shootings and a hostage situation with death tolls reportedly at 140+, we can assume it was certainly a coordinated attack to cause exactly what's happening here, chaos, fear and turmoil. So far, the terror has been spread by attacking the capitol of France.

Hell to pay...

The government won't let themselves appear to sit idly after all this. I hope they don't pass any drastic resolution... at the same time, the people are going to want something... big.

"Hold on to your butts."

I'm honestly quite horrified that such a large coordinated attack can actually happen.

14 years have passed since 9/11 and I was only 8 at the time so I can honestly say that the gravity of that event never really hit me in time for all of the fervor kind of flew over my head. But now, I can understand it. Even though I have grown so accustomed to the peace I take for granted, I can understand it. Those kinds of events stick within the heads of those who they most closely effect. Those effects still play out on the many lives who were so close to the World Trade Center that day. But, even so, 14 years had passed and I had said that even though many people are affected, I was glad to see that something of that magnitude would likely never happen again for a long time...

Then, this happened. People who lived peaceful lives for the most part being thrown into a hellish situation they never believed would happen to them. A peace that was likely taken for granted has once again been violently wrested away by crazed madmen intent on something, I don't know what. From the other side of the ocean, sitting in front of a computer screen, there's not much that I can do. I can only hope that this situation can be brought swiftly to a close so that no more lives are taken. I can only hope that those who lost their loved ones can some day be able to live normal lives again. I can only hope that those who survived or saw people dying around them can one day be able to live their normal lives again without fear some day.

As someone who has never experienced the loss of a loved one in either such a cruel or even an uncruel manner and as someone who never stood at the epicenter of such a nightmarish incident, I can't say I, at this time, can truly understand the pain and suffering many Parisians are going through right now. So, all I can do is give my condolences and hope for the best.

It's easy to want vengeance, and it's easy to villify those responsible.

The best way to counter terror isn't misguided accusations, but unity, outreach, and courage. I understand anger. I feel it just as many of you do.

That's not what the world needs right now. Odds are, it's that emotion that led to a situation like this in the first place.