As much as it hurts, I think I really need to replace some of my Pokemon- Butterfree just doesn't cut it anymore. I've been thinking of replacing him with Vivillon since it does the exact same thing, only faster and with Hurricane instead of Bug Buzz. The thing is, though, that Vivillon isn't that fast, even with max speed, and I'm worried that the tactic will be pretty much useless against gym leaders to come and I'll be wasting my time trying to train one.

So what do you guys think? Should I go for it, or drop the butterflies off my team forever?

Neither butterfly Pokemon really gets any decent niche roles in the rest of the game, so I would recommend using neither or them. Judging by your trainer card, I know there are a lot better bug Pokemon that you can get at that point in the game if you so wish (Yanmega, Scolipede, etc.) so I think you'd be better off using something like that or opting for a different kind of coverage for the upcoming gyms (maybe fighting would be advantageous?)

Scrapping Pidgeot might be a good idea at some point, but if it's working for you then hey, it's working.

Side note: this should probably go in Team Showcase.

I still prefer vivillon over yanmega. Yanmega gets faster but at some point it doesn't matter and gets smacked down. Vivillon gets faster and hits harder and can stall for time or help something else set up, bug buzz and hurricane both do awesome and powder definitely has its uses.

Oh, oops. I guess I forgot to mention my card is really outdated, haha. I've long since scrapped Pidgeot and Meowstic, and I already have Yanmega, she's real great ^^

I'll think about Venomoth, but the main reason I was drawn to Butterfree and Vivillon in particular is because they both get Sleep Powder and Compound Eyes, which means I'll be missing less often. At any rate, it's better than Butterfree, so I'll definitely take a look at it. Thanks for your advice :D

Edited by BreezyPonie

You should really get used to training up new pokemon when needed. In this case, Venomoth/Vivillon/Yanmega are some of the much better replacements for your Butterfree. You can also wait for the late Heracross (it's quite a work but it's worth it). Or you can use another pokemon with another type, seeing as Bug and Flying STAB isn't really needed in Reborn because of other types like Fairy/Fighting for Dark, Ice/Fire/Poison for Grass, Fire/Rock for Bug, Fairy/Psychic for Fighting.

I'd pick Vivillon for this instance. Hurricane spam with Compound Eyes (which also helps you with Heart Scale farming). Also an accuracy-boosted Sleep Powder is also gonna be helpful as well.

Are you looking for Bug-Flying types specifically? If not then I would recommend Yanmega as mentioned before by the majority AND Durant(check this guy out, admittedly a personal favorite). About Durant: It's not all about the stats but this guy's is adequate I must say. Base stat of 109 in both ATT and SPD and 112 in DEF. This bug is a sturdy, speedy, physical sweeper. It has access to strong STAB moves X-Scissor and Iron Head, both decent enough having 80 power. It can also learn Dig to get rid of those pesky Fire types, which would be its only weakness. Cons: This guy can't handle much special attacks though. E.g. Thunderbolt, boom dead or almost, Surf? - same scenario.

If you are looking for Bug-Flying types, then, trash all that and just go for a Timid/Modest Yanmega with Speed Boost ability. :)

Edited by gabgonzales

I'd recommend dropping the butterflies.

If you're looking for just a bug type, I'd recommend Escavalier. While slow, it's a tanky pokemon that hits hard. Plus, its speed problem can be solved with Trick Room.
Otherwise, I'd recommend Galvantula. It's really fast with decent special attack, and access to sticky web, which is an invaluable move, imo.

Scolipede is a decent choice too, as I find protect to be quite useful for an extra turn of T-spikes stalling or for using certain moves in double battles such as surf or discharge. T-spikes of its own and a decently strong megahorn are also useful for cleaning up late game, though the lack of high BP poison STAB moves is a real shame.

Also like the venomoth suggestion. Particularly if you're still to come up against the big top arena battles (enough speed EV's and a cheri berry might even let venomoth put in work against Ciel)