My Return to Reborn Hasn't Been an Easy One. Ugh....

Wish

I recently posted a reintroduction on the forums about how I have came back to Reborn after 2 years to start over. At the time the last episode that was out was 9 (which I finished then).

I'd thought I'd share my experiencing coming back:

It turned out that I forgot a lot about Reborn and it has been making playing through it again more exciting.

I'm often wondering if something is new or there is something I forgot.

All had been going good, but then I started to notice things I knew were different.

What?! Field advantages in gyms?! Weren't they difficult enough? So I said fine, I'll deal.

Then I noticed something else, why can't I get Magikarp or Ralts?

A quick google search made me realize I hadn't forgotten how to got them, but they are gone/late[r] game in the latest releases!

I got as far as I did with my first play though because of Ralts, so I feel kinda lost without them.

My first play through I didn't even use Magikarp I was hoping that I could change things up and use them, but nuuuuuuuu!

(No, I'm not going to cheat by starting up an old version of Reborn)

I can see some extra difficulty now when it comes to forming a solid team. Let's say I'm not too happy about that.

I'd label myself as an 'informed casual' Pokemon player and at this point I feel concerned.

I really hope nothing else was changed that connects to boosting the game's difficulty.

I'll update this post if I run into anything else surprising, but it seems like I may need to ask for some advice later!

If you think there is something I should know, please leave a reply or PM me!

Edited by Wish

Field Effects are a gym leaders'd double edged blade, as they give them a large advantage, but can be used against them to land some devastating strikes. As said, it is common for Pokemon to get "axed" for being overly powerful at certain stages of the game. Creating a solid team is usually not enough, as many gym leader and bosses have counters, so get into the habit of having a team and a back up team. I consider myself to be a casual Pokemon player, but I was able to make my way through Reborn by playing smart and getting help form the community.

There are quite a few Pokemon that have been axed since E9, rip.

- Magby

- Elekid

- Vulpix

- Starly

etc.

There are still some very usable Pokemon out there, though. For instance, Espurr evolves into a very nice supportive Pokemon in Meowstic M, and the powerful Bunnelby is available before the third Gym.

Ralts is available before your fifth Badge, I believe, so if you still want it, you know when you can get it.

Magikarp and Ralts were moved later because of how powerful they were. It's still pretty easy to make a team, but don't expect to sweep through with only one or two juggernauts. Be prepared to train different Pokemon to get set up for different situations/battles.

As I said my first play through I didn't have Magikarp, but even with Ralts the game was still hair pulling out difficult for me. Sweeping was never a thing unless I had crazy luck with crits and weaknesses combined. I can see getting rid of one, but not both. Anyways I'm sure in time I'll fill out my team! So far my team is very far from impressive. A Wingull and a Poochyena is on my team... must I say more? lmao. I'll be replacing them ASAP, but it is kinda what I'm dealing with early game.

Or do what I do and over level by about 20 levels and keep resetting until you get really lucky.

I will never stop using my banette.

I don't care.

LOL that is one way to play. If that works for you, more power to you! I will pass though.

Field Effects are a gym leaders'd double edged blade, as they give them a large advantage, but can be used against them to land some devastating strikes. As said, it is common for Pokemon to get "axed" for being overly powerful at certain stages of the game. Creating a solid team is usually not enough, as many gym leader and bosses have counters, so get into the habit of having a team and a back up team. I consider myself to be a casual Pokemon player, but I was able to make my way through Reborn by playing smart and getting help form the community.

I re-read the little panel taking about the fields a few times and don't fully understand it. When you say axed, what do you mean? They just fall over and drop to 0 HP? I did the first gym and it just seemed like electric moves were boosted. I didn't see any disadvantages the gym leader was facing. I don't understand how you can turn it around to benefit you yet since obviously using electric on electric for example isn't going to help. I got as far as the end of Ep 9 so I know I can do it. Although I got that far with a solid and diverse team. It was difficult but doable.

There are quite a few Pokemon that have been axed since E9, rip.

- Magby

- Elekid

- Vulpix

- Starly

etc.

There are still some very usable Pokemon out there, though. For instance, Espurr evolves into a very nice supportive Pokemon in Meowstic M, and the powerful Bunnelby is available before the third Gym.

Ralts is available before your fifth Badge, I believe, so if you still want it, you know when you can get it.

Thank you for the info. I'm not liking how many Pokemon were dropped. Some are strong, but I don't think they would be game breaking to Reborn. In my opinion the game was difficult enough. Anyways, I'll make do. It is just surprising coming back to hear about these drops/changes.

Edited by Wish

I re-read the little panel taking about the fields a few times and don't fully understand it. When you say axed, what do you mean? They just fall over and drop to 0 HP? I did the first gym and it just seemed like electric moves were boosted. I didn't see any disadvantages the gym leader was facing. I don't understand how you can turn it around to benefit you yet since obviously using electric on electric for example isn't going to help. I got as far as the end of Ep 9 so I know I can do it. Although I got that far with a solid and diverse team. It was difficult but doable.

"Axed" is the term people use to describe Pokemon that were removed/moved from previous episodes, like Magikarp. As for gym advantages and disadvantages, Julia is a bad example for field typing since there isn't many ways to use her field to your advantage. Let's say you're in a gym that boosts grass type attacks. If you could somehow start a fire, fire type Pokemon would get a boost, while the grass type leader would be at an disadvantage. Basically, find out what gives the gym leader an advantage, and destroy it with the fury of a thousand suns.

Edited by Combat Medic

"Axed" is the term people use to describe Pokemon that were removed/moved from previous episodes, like Magikarp. As for gym advantages and disadvantages, Julia is a bad example for field typing since there isn't many ways to use her field to your advantage. Let's say you're in a gym that boosts grass type attacks. If you could somehow start a fire, fire type Pokemon would get a boost, while the grass type leader would be at an disadvantage. Basically, find out what gives the gym leader an advantage, and destroy it with the fury of a thousand suns.

Thank you for explaining! I think I understand it better now. :D

well if you want a current list of very helpful pokemon until Kiki i suppose thats when you can get ralts after beating her so ill say technician kricketune hariama Pyroar Digersby magenton golurk manetric the police egg pokemon they change save to save but all of them are pretty usefull pokemon you cant get till late game or cant be gotten normally medicham Zoroark honchcrow Dramanitan and i know i missed a few but genrally these guys can carry you easy and if you have speed boost blaziken as a starter just half the game is sweeped

Yes, it's harder to create a solid team. But that's one of the points of the game. If you want a good team, you've got to work for it. You've got to be resourceful. You've got to think outside the box.

Certain Pokémon are moved to later stages of the game because they have an abnormally large impact on the diversity of the overall player base's team-building experience.

To put it simply, they're good enough that most people will use them over almost everything else available to them. These Pokémon invalidate the other options that are presented to the player.

An example is Magby. With Magby available before the first gym, no one would use any other Fire-type in the early game. As players progressed through the game, Magby would evolve into Magmar, which would further discourage players from seeking another Fire-type. As soon as Magby was replaced with Pansear, the diversity of Fire-types on people's teams went way up. Because, c'mon, who wants to use a frickin' Pansear?

This level of influence over the players' decisions is frowned upon by Amethyst, so she makes appropriate adjustments to the availability of Pokémon to ensure that some of them aren't warping the game.

Edited by Foamy