Dietary Choices

Cool Girl

So, today, I decided that I'm going dairy free. I know nobody that is dairy free, but I heard that it exists and that there is people out there that are dairy free. A lot of my friends are gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan. The reason that I decided to be dairy free is because I noticed throughout the years that I've been drinking milk or eating dairy products, I get constipated (I can't go to the bathroom easily! Sorry for the description!) So I'm hoping that being dairy free will help me. It's not like I can never eat yogurt or cheese or any other dairy products again. You can buy dairy free butter, dairy free cheese, and dairy free yogurt in a lot of stores, so I already know the alternatives I'll be taking. But, my question is, are you gluten free/vegan/vegetarian/dairy free? If so, how long did it take for you to realize that you feel more comfortable with that diet? Also, if you want to give advice, that would be also great, considering that I just decided this today (It took me years to think about this! And also, I'm not an adult doing this choice, I'm only 16, so who knows how this might turn out!) Whatever it is, I told my parents and they are very supportive of my decision, so that's great! I kinda of have an idea what it's like to substitute because my mom is vegetarian. Also, as a national level martial artist, it might be challenging because when you do sports, you need calcium. Also, the bummer part about this is that I won't be able to get Krispy Kreme donuts because they have milk in it. Also, won't be able to enjoy Starbucks as much because they also put milk in their Frappucino!

Sorry for the long rant! So, away we go!

Edited by Cool Girl

I know that my mom's been eating nearly entirely dairy free for about a year and she's enjoying the benefits of it. There's a substitution for lactose food and drink that allows a similar diet as you may currently have, yet without the dairy. And real talk, try out almond milk. That's that good stuff.

Also, if you're talking putting butter on wheat products, use Nutella instead. Heck, put Nutella on everything.

I am a vegetarian. Dairy is fine. Eggs are not. Fish are not.

Been this way since birth. My parents have been vegetarian their whole lives as have my grandparents and my great-grandparents. Really has a lot to do with the region my family came from combined with certain religious beliefs. Even though I'm not really religious, I still quite enjoy my vegetarianism and will probably never eat meat in my life.

Though I am slightly overweight. I think that's more due to the fact that I do quite enjoy the food I get to eat. I'm quite the glutton. I really do need to lose that weight...

@Hiss13: Oh! It's okay, when I said, "I sure hope going dairy free is worth it! I was talking to myself! Sorry, I should've specified!

@damurdara: Yes, I will be drinking dairy substitutes like soy milk. As for cheese, yogurt, and butter, I'm still figuring out some substitutes. I know that there is dairy-free butter and dairy free cheese somewhere. I'm still trying to figure out a substitute for yogurt. I think I heard there is dairy free yogurt?

Edited by Cool Girl

well there is nothing wrong with being dairy free nor is it a bad dissension but you will need to keep up with it for as long as you live though so better toughen up.

im generally not dairy free i can cut down on or completely leave a type of food completely or for a little while if so i need to i once left dairy for a little while about 2 to 3 months and tbh did not miss it much and that all there is to it willpower or just a general substitution for it. So good luck but i would recommend first giving it a go for like a few weeks or months and then deciding as a human body can have drastic changes and cravings after leaving a certain food not all people but some do.

My mother's gone gluten-free for over a year, but as a consequence she's also gluten intolerant. Tie that together with very infrequent bouts of... willpower deficiencies... well, let's just say once you leave it (and probably similarly with dairy) there's no going back to how you were before.

That being said, all the power to you; hope this all goes well for you!

Yep, don't worry about nutella, dairy free "nutella" exists too, and it's really good ! Dairy free yogurt too, most of the time it's soy yogurt.

About me, i'm a vegetarian since a little bit more than one year. I used to really enjoy the taste of the meat, but the more I though about it, the more I realised it was just... Weird to eat other living speicies. I mean, I won't eat my dogs, so, why should I eat others animals ? Today when I see meat I'm just thinking "omg this is a dead body piece, did I really ate that for years ?". But I think everybody can do whatever they want, almost everyone of my friends eat meat and I'm ok with this. I can't stand people like "you have to do that because I do have the truth ok"
I also try to not eat dairy products, eggs or others animal products. I know almost all of these products are produced involving animal suffering and I feel quite guilty about this. But it's quite difficult (at least, in france, idk about other countries) to be a vegan, so I keep on eating some of it sometimes. But when it's just for cooking, not for drink; almond / rice milk; soy / coconut cream etc are perfectly ok. But, let's be honest : it's quite expensive xD
But, oreos cookies doesn't contain milk. As long as we can eat oreos, everything is fine.
I think it's quite difficult at the beginning to change our food habits, but after few weeks we feel better !
*omg I wrote a lot, sorry*
Anyway, good luck for your dietary changes (:

well there is nothing wrong with being dairy free nor is it a bad dissension but you will need to keep up with it for as long as you live though so better toughen up.

im generally not dairy free i can cut down on or completely leave a type of food completely or for a little while if so i need to i once left dairy for a little while about 2 to 3 months and tbh did not miss it much and that all there is to it willpower or just a general substitution for it. So good luck but i would recommend first giving it a go for like a few weeks or months and then deciding as a human body can have drastic changes and cravings after leaving a certain food not all people but some do.

You don't /have/ to stick to something you choose to do everything really. I understand in this situation it seems to be due to lactose intolerancr, but I've had friends who decided they'll just take lactose and continue consuming dairy.

More power to you if you choose to stick to it but I just wanted to clarify for people that life isn't black and white like that.

Personally I couldn't live without dairy and red meat tbh so I don't see myself giving those up anytime soon. I don't really care for seafood unless it's fried somehow. Though shrimp creole is delicious as fuck.

the reason i choose to leave a food or give up on it for a while usually have to to do with health concerns for myself or something i want to try out before determining is it good or bad for me in general. I do eat meat vegetables dairy all of em my diet is open like that apparently.

i agree with you life isnt that black and white thats why i only gave up on dairy for a short amount of time and not permanently cause i was trying to experiment with some diet changes a while back and quite literally found no point of it myself i could survive and tolerate a lack of dairy in my life but i had no disadvantages of consuming it so i said why not eat it in the term i was speaking of was that was that she can eat and not eat what ever she wants but she must be careful that the lack of such food dosent in term harm her when re reading my post i can see i kinda had hit and miss with that with some points landing and others not.

And so if you will permit me a small evaluation of what i actully meant cause hell i know this post is confusing in its self:

Eat What ever you want dont eat whatever you dont want to but make sure it dosent drastically effect your body for the worse if it does not or has no effect listen to no one else and nothing else about it meaning we survived for millions of years with the food we have so why do we need to change that and if you do its a personal choice.

P.S:i agree completely with you in the seafood front.

I'm mostly gluten and dairy free. It's mostly because of old allergies though. By the point when the allergies got slightly better, my palate had already set. So although I can now eat dairy without becoming nauseated, I can't stand the taste or smell of cheese.

I get most of my calcium by eating a lot of vegetables. Almond milk is also very nice. And if you can't get enough calcium from other foods, then supplements are always an option.

Good luck!

How much dairy were you ingesting daily?

I'm with demon pigknightbotthing Edge, it's kind of extreme to just cut something out of your diet completely. Maybe just go partial. Go silk (soymilk) and substitutes for the big things that you eat a lot of at once or very often, but maybe keep some of the smaller things as regular dairy. You know, everything in moderation.

I don't know that the milk content in a doughnut recipe is enough for you to toss out either. Idk if the lactose molecules and what not change in the baking. If they do, then it probably won't count. You can try it out after a while of no dairy and see if it affects you. You know, treat it like a science experiment to see if you should limit your krispy kremes or not.

I don't know what you see in yogurt. It tastes like bad breath

Pretty sure they sell vitamin and calcium supplements as gummy bears nowadays.

I used to drink two cups of milk each day, have two yogurts, and three slices of cheese each day, so as you can see I eat a lot of dairy (well I'm french so I'm from france and they eat a lot of dairy over there), so yeah! I appreciate your advice, though, thank you!