Detective Chase, 2016 (Hunter Plays Reborn V.2)

Chase

This playthrough thread is a continuation of the Scheme Team's romp through the Reborn region. That thread is somewhere in the ether here in the Team Showcase sub forum. if you would like to catch up - but if you don't that's okay too, because the what's happenin', is happenin' right here.

For those of you that don't know me. Hi. I'm Hunter. I'm playing this incredibly frustrating Pokémon game called 'Pokémon Reborn' because I'm a really big Pokémon fan and the last time I seriously tried, I couldn't get past Noel.

There's a substantial gap between the progress of the last thread and here - as I've managed to claw my way to Serra​ - the Ice leader from Spinel Town, found in the Chrysolia region of Reborn. Serra is the leader before the wunderkind that brought my first run's ill-fate - so I've been getting pretty excited.

I also wanted to try something a bit different - which was ask a question about the game itself each time I update with a post. That will follow up my explanation of my playthrough in each update.

LEGGO!

---

The Scheme Team has found a way to bust the kids out of Dr. Sigmund and Team Meteor's clutches and we have finally escaped the city into the Chrysolia Region. Anna - or Nostra - is apparently ill and I have been tasked to retrieve medication in order to rectify the problem. This medication is to be found on the other side of the Chrysolia Forest - in Spinel Town. While there, an official Reborn League match is a highly likely prospect - and anyone that has played this game before will know exactly who's coming next.

Serra, the ex-model who could have authored the book of Lamentations (yes, the one in the Bible) and mother of Agatha, the Bug Princess​, Bennett, the Bug Prodigy, who is specifically into butterflies.

My one "challenge" in this run - and it's hardly even one at that - is to avoid using the item known as "Common Candy" - and instead opt to use a rotation of Pokémon to surmount each milestone battle. In looking for Pokémon that aren't bothered by the cold, hard, truth that is reality, I've decided to re-write the entire roster. Meet the -potential- 3rd String of the Scheme Team:

aggron.gif

Aggron is the odd woman out of the potential C team - focusing on being the highly uncommon representative from the Rock/Steel typing advantage over Ice. She is the alternative to Magneton, which is one of the flagship steel type Pokémon available in the game up to this point. Iron Head -and- Rock Slide are good moves to use, and it's physical defense should provide it leverage over physically offensive threats on Serra's team.

arcanine.gif

Arcanine is a Pokémon I didn't want to pass up on potentially using - but I haven't been keen on using it up to this point as it's a prominent Pokémon obtained during any regular Reborn run. It's ability to be run Mixed gives it lots of leverage - and drawing Close Combat as an egg move from the event gods wasn't too shabby either when battling Ice types. Also, Extremespeed has got to be one of the best moves in the game period.

toxicroak.gif

This Pokemon is one I would like to think is a "think for the future" option. Toxicroak checks/counters plenty of Pokemon on Noel's team, being a Poison/Fighting type - in that even the surprise Fairy types you could see on his squad don't get any reprieve from Croak. For Serra, this Pokemon gets the luxury of learning Sucker Punch by level up, which allows you to take out her Froslass if it goes for an attack, as well as boasts Drain Punch for an egg move - which is absolutely phenomenal in that it not only can deal super effective damage to the upcoming leaders, but also obtain some sustain with great HP recovery, all in one turn.

pangoro.gif

What's the Scheme Team without dark intentions? Pangoro is a veteran and his viability is definitely beginning to wane in this run, seeing himself replaced by the likes of 'Croak and Gallade in the future as Fighting types. However, boasting powerful STAB moves like Crunch and Hammer Arm gives the team some oomph, and it's bulk is probably more reliable than Gallade's at this point in time. Lash hurrahs are nice too - considering this spot may have gone to another Fire type such as Pyroar or Houndoom. More on why that's a problem later.

ampharos.gif

Ampharos is probably one of the most dependable Pokemon of the run all thanks to egg move 'Electric Terrain' - which pays off MASSIVE dividends in Reborn thanks to cancelling out the Gym Leader's advantageous field momentarily. This allows you to dictate the match for a short while, and could be just enough help even a poorly built team needs to overcome the opponent. Discharge is not something a Cloyster would want to have to deal with. Thunder Wave renders the blistering speed of Froslass moot, and Power Gem is a pretty ideal coverage move to have when battling an Ice Leader. Like Pangoro, Ampharos is a long time member looking to retire with another notch in the belt - as I'm looking to replace it with Heliolisk due to it's access to 'ET' and higher speed, which makes it able to take on faster threats and even be a suicide field-changer at worst.

The last spot is something that is highly contested between Gallade, Houndoom, and Pyroar. The first of those could potentially be too slow to be much help, while the latter two cause a serious weakness to Ground type moves (five out of six Pokemon).

---

Serra's major flaw as a character (in this sense, flaw in that she has an issue, not that her characterization is terrible.) is that she's somewhat pessimistic and living in the past. Does that relate to you or someone that you know?

My mentor seems to have a bit of this going on lately - especially concerning things like Politics and enjoying youth and what not.

This seems interesting!

For the 6th spot, i'd give a try to Gallade, you luck a Psychic type and Gallade is a solid choice with the right Nature/EV Spread

I wouldn't consider Houndoom or Pyroar, you already have a Fire type and Arcanine works pretty well

For the question of Serra, she's the copy of myself since i "live in the past" and i'm pessimistic af