I need help with building my team. Badly.

Toria

Ok, so I am setting up a new team mid-game (farthest point I've gotten to is route 1) because my old one was thrown together on a whim. So I am requesting help on what moves I should give them or if I should replace them altogether.

These two are the only original team pokemon I left on my team:

Charizard:

Ability: Solar Power

Moves: Flamethrower, Air Slash, Heat Wave, and fire spin

Nature: Timid

Noivern:

Ability: Telepathy

Moves: Super Fang, Dragon Pulse, Air Slash, and Boomburst

Nature: Quiet

Ok, the rest of these are the recruits and their movesets a are nowhere near finished. Also feel free to tell me to replace any of them or the previously mention.

Donphan:

Ability: Sand Veil

Moves: Hidden Power (idk what it is yet) Rollout, Fury Attack, and Rock Smash

Nature: Quiet

Emolga:

Ability: Motor Drive

Moves: Nuzzle, Electro Ball, Double Team, and Acrobatics

Nature: Lax

Nidorina (soon to be Nidoqueen):

Ability: Rivalry

Moves: Double kick, Venom Drench, Bite, and Strength

Nature: Rash

Gardevoir:

Ability: Synchronize

Moves: Psychic, Magical Leaf, Moonblast, and Calm Mind

Nature: Calm

Ok yeeeeah I know I have 3 flying types, but I didn't catch any of them to be a flying type.....

Sooo yeah, please and thanks!

Even though Reborn is significantly harder than a standard pokemon game it still allows you more freedom with team choice than say competitive battling. So keeping certain pokemon you like is fine and shouldn't effect your ability to beat the game too much but that being said there are a lot of shared weakness's within your team and competitively it would get destroyed. Most of your team is weak to ice, rock and water which are all fairly common types so this needs to be addressed.

I take it you want to keep Charizard and Noivern as the core so it's important you bring pokemon that can deal with their counters or that wall them out, but first you need to address the movesets you're running on both charizard and noiverns which are far from optimal.

This is how my charizard looks:

Timid nature 252 speed 252 Spe.Attack

Flamethrower

Air slash

Dragon Pulse

Heat wave

Having 3 movesets taken up by fire moves is not ideal, dragon pulse can be learned as an egg move for extra coverage.

Noivern is mainly a special attacker but has some good utility as a support pokemon, with access to tailwind, whirlwind and roost you could set up a tailwind then sweep from there using whirlwind to make your opponent switch when walled. Whirlwind + entry hazard abuse is also an option if you put a stealth rocks/toxic spikes poke on your team. Using a move like superfang who's attack power drops when your hp drops on a pokemon with low base attack is pretty useless as well.

There's a few sets you could use but again its dependent on what approach you take, I'd say the most standard one is:

Noivern infiltrator/telepathy

Modest nature 252 HP 252 Spe.Att

Tailwind

Roost

Boomburst

Dragonpulse

Both noivern and charizard can hit most pokemon for at least neutral damage but steel and fairy types resist alot of your moveset on both pokemon with carbink and diancie completely walling you out. You may want to consider adding A: Additional fire support for the steel types B: A steel/poison type to deal with the fairy type and C: A water type to deal with the rock types. Empoleon is a good choice Steel+water dual type is a solid typing and he has some solid bulk but he would increase your vunerability to electric types, keeping nidoqueen is viable as she is immune to their electric weakness and has stab poison moves. Personally I'd abandon nidoqueen though, she has fairly average stats I'd bring in a pokemon like Mamoswine. Mamoswine has an insane attack stat, electric immunity and a decent speed stat (80) which under tailwind can make him a serious threat.

Suggested set:

Mamoswine - oblivious

Adamant 252 attack 252 speed

Icicle crash

thrash

earthquake

Bite

Keeping gardevoir is fine as she is a solid special attacker but most steel types resist her movepool meaning your last slot will most defintely be taken up a fire type.

Arcanine is a solid shout and one of my personal favourites but you could also consider houndoom/camerupt or ninetales.

Here's my Arcanine:

Adamant nature 252 att 252 speed

Close combat

extremespeed

flareblitz

outrage

This move set hits everything for at least neutral damage.

Even though Reborn is significantly harder than a standard pokemon game it still allows you more freedom with team choice than say competitive battling. So keeping certain pokemon you like is fine and shouldn't effect your ability to beat the game too much but that being said there are a lot of shared weakness's within your team and competitively it would get destroyed. Most of your team is weak to ice, rock and water which are all fairly common types so this needs to be addressed.

I take it you want to keep Charizard and Noivern as the core so it's important you bring pokemon that can deal with their counters or that wall them out, but first you need to address the movesets you're running on both charizard and noiverns which are far from optimal.

This is how my charizard looks:

Timid nature 252 speed 252 Spe.Attack

Flamethrower

Air slash

Dragon Pulse

Heat wave

Having 3 movesets taken up by fire moves is not ideal, dragon pulse can be learned as an egg move for extra coverage.

Noivern is mainly a special attacker but has some good utility as a support pokemon, with access to tailwind, whirlwind and roost you could set up a tailwind then sweep from there using whirlwind to make your opponent switch when walled. Whirlwind + entry hazard abuse is also an option if you put a stealth rocks/toxic spikes poke on your team. Using a move like superfang who's attack power drops when your hp drops on a pokemon with low base attack is pretty useless as well.

There's a few sets you could use but again its dependent on what approach you take, I'd say the most standard one is:

Noivern infiltrator/telepathy

Modest nature 252 HP 252 Spe.Att

Tailwind

Roost

Boomburst

Dragonpulse

Both noivern and charizard can hit most pokemon for at least neutral damage but steel and fairy types resist alot of your moveset on both pokemon with carbink and diancie completely walling you out. You may want to consider adding A: Additional fire support for the steel types B: A steel/poison type to deal with the fairy type and C: A water type to deal with the rock types. Empoleon is a good choice Steel+water dual type is a solid typing and he has some solid bulk but he would increase your vunerability to electric types, keeping nidoqueen is viable as she is immune to their electric weakness and has stab poison moves. Personally I'd abandon nidoqueen though, she has fairly average stats I'd bring in a pokemon like Mamoswine. Mamoswine has an insane attack stat, electric immunity and a decent speed stat (80) which under tailwind can make him a serious threat.

Suggested set:

Mamoswine - oblivious

Adamant 252 attack 252 speed

Icicle crash

thrash

earthquake

Bite

Keeping gardevoir is fine as she is a solid special attacker but most steel types resist her movepool meaning your last slot will most defintely be taken up a fire type.

Arcanine is a solid shout and one of my personal favourites but you could also consider houndoom/camerupt or ninetales.

Here's my Arcanine:

Adamant nature 252 att 252 speed

Close combat

extremespeed

flareblitz

outrage

This move set hits everything for at least neutral damage.

My charizard and noivern have super fang and fire spin because I didn't know what to put their so i just kept about moves I had at that point.

Only reason I got Nidoqueen was because I needed a poison type and her was the first one I had.

Thanks for your help btw it's really useful!

If you want a poison type, go with nidoking. It's faster and stronger than nidoqueen, and it's special set with sheer force is very good. It learns earth power at level 43 and sludge wave by tm for good stab coverage, and you can also teach it something like shadow ball. If you hold off evolving your nidorino until level 35 you can get toxic spikes as well for good utility. Get it a timid nature with 252 sp. attack and 252 speed.

well first off, you dont need to find a nidoran male you just have to buy one at the onyx arcade. ok now prepare for a long/very long-ish post.

Completing/finishing reborn with a team of 6 pokemon is kinda hard.you can do it but having sub team members would make it easier since you can swap around stuff as and when you need them. Your team is special attack heavy and a spdef wall can make your team suffer(throws in a Cofagrigus). I would balance out the team by having 3 sp atkers and 3 physical attackers so you will not get walled.

For all my runs in reborn/most pokemon games i have 1 gimmick pokemon and a team of pick up pokemons. pick up pokemon helps you get free stuff when you are EV training and grinding lvl and stuff. Gimmick pokemon helps kill those pesky over leveled pokemons an annoying bosses for reborn's case(which you are gonna fight soon and i guess you faced a few earlier pulse abra and giant steelix)

So 1st advice from me to you is to build up a pick up team(best pick up pokemon is meowth imho). Next make a gimmick pokemon. What is a gimmick pokemon? oh simple it is those pokemon which can kill higher lvl pokemon using moves/strats with certain moves like perish song/destiny bond/sturdy+counter/metal burst. a good example of a gimmick pokemon is murkrow with prankster+perish song.

Ok now for you current team member and how to improve/ make them effective i have listed the move set/Best nature/Best EV/Best ability/Item too below. so you can change them accordingly.You can keep them as a sub team member once you have adjusted them. as i said earlier you team is special attack heavy and that has to be fixed.

If you need to know where to find the items/TM just head over to this thread ---> Here<--- it should help you.If you need help with breeding go to this thread --> Here <--- just head over to the thread and you should know what are egg moves.You dont really need to bother about nature/EV since it kinda cleared the game without having decent natures or EV on my first try so yeah nature and ev are not so important.

Charizard

Ability:Solar Power

Nature:Timid/Modest

Items:Charcoal/Flame Plate/Sky plate/Sharp beak/Life Orb

EV: 6 SpDef/252 SpAtk/252 Speed

Air Slash

Heat wave

Dragon pulse/Fire Pledge/Sunny Day(Dragon Pulse is an egg move you will need to breed to get it if you are lazy to breed just smack on a fire pledge/Sunny Day)

Flamethrower

Noivern

Ability:Telepathy/Infiltrator

Nature:Modest/Timid

Items:Draco Plate/Dragon Fang/Sky Plate/Sharp Beak/Life Orb

EV: 6 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Speed

Boomburst

Dragon Pulse

Air Slash

Super Fang/Tailwind/Dark pulse(well you can put a lot of moves at the last slot of noivern depending on what you want super fang will help you vs bosses tailwind is for support and dark pulse if if you want coverage i would stick with super fang since it can help with bosses)

Donphan

Ability:Sturdy

Nature:Adamant/Brave

Items:soft sand/Earth Plate/Life Orb/Leftovers

EV: 252 HP/252 Atk/ 6 Def

Thunder Fang(use heart scale)

Fire Fang(use heart scale)

Earthquake

Gyro Ball/Knock off(well gyro ball is good for coverage but you can only get it at the end of the game which is quite far)

Nidoqueen

Ability:Sheer force

Nature:Modest/Bold

Items:Black Sludge/Life Orb/Toxic Plate/Poison Barb/Earth Plate/Soft Sand

EV: 252 HP/252 SpAtk/ 6 Def

Sludge Wave

Earth Power(learns at lvl 43. use heart scale if you missed the lvl)

Flamethrower/Icy wind/Toxic spikes(Flamethrower and icy wind are for coverage but you get them quite late in the game so stick with toxic spikes)

Shadow Ball/Icy wind/Shock wave/Venoshock( if you dont have the shadow ball TM go with the other move tutor moves but as i said move tutor moves are quite far away so stick with venoshock)

Emolga

Ability:Motor drive

Nature:Lonely/Hasty/Mild/Naughty/Rash/Naive

Items:None

EV: 252 Speed/129 Atk/129 SpAtk

Iron Tail/Discharge(iron tail is an egg move, run Discharge if you running a sp atk+ nature and run iron tain if you are running a atk+ nature)

Acrobatics

Nuzzle

Electro Ball

Gardevoir

Ability:Trace/Telepathy/Synchronize

Nature:Timid/Modest

Items:Pixie Plate/Twisted spoon/Mind plate

EV:252 SpAtk/ 6 SpDef/ 252 Speed

Calm Mind

Stored Power

Moonblast

Psychic/Shadow ball

Ok now lets work on making your main team better first off you need a grass type in you team to deal with water types so pick anyone of the grass types i have listed down below. i would go for either jumpluff(physical Atk) or Roserade(special Atk) but it is up to you. i listed the grass types which re available at the point of the game you are at. i would replace either emolga /noivern/nidorina with once grass type.

Special Attack grass types

Lilligant
Ability:Chlorophyll

EV: 252 SpAtk/252 Speed/6HP

Quiver dance
Leech seed/Leaf storm
Energy ball
Nature Power

Roserade(version 1)
Ability:Natural Cure

EV: 252 SpAtk/252 Speed/6 SpDef

Venoshock
Toxic Spikes/Toxic
Giga Drain
Petal dance/Shadow ball( shadow ball if u got it from shade in earlier episode)

Roserade(version 2)
Ability:Technician

Venoshock
Toxic Spikes/Toxic/leech seed
Magical Leaf/mega drain

Weather Ball

Ludicolo
Ability:Rain Dish/Swift swim

Nature:Modest

Energy Ball
Surf/Hydro pump/Bubble beam(hydro pump/bubble beam before you get HM surf)
Icy wind/Nature power(Nature power before you get access to move tutor)
Grass knot/Water pulse/Nature power/Hydro Pump/Rain dance/Giga drain( giga drain before you get grass knot/access to move tutor)

Exeggutor
Ability:Chlorophyll/Harvest

Nature:Modest/Quiet
EV: 252 SpAtk/252 HP/6 Def

Skill Swap/Trick room/Reflect/Sunny day
Leaf Storm
Psyshock
Solarbeam/Uproar

Venusaur

EV:252 SpAtk/ 252 Speed/6 SpDef

Growth

Solarbeam/Petal Dance(solar beam cause growth +sun+solar beam = dead anything which hits SE/neutrally)

Giga drain/Grass knot/Sludge/venoshock(Giga drain and sludge are egg moves.Grass knot is tm you get later in the game)

Sleep powder/sunny day

Vileplume

Ability:Chlorophyll/Effect spore

Ev: 252 HP/ 252 SpAtk/6 SpDef

Toxic

Venoshock

Giga Drain/Solar beam/Petal dance(giga drain if you wanna go for a safe set)

Moonblast(oddish learns it at lvl 43)

Cherrim

Ability: Flower Gift

Nature: Modest/Timid

EV: 6 Hp/252 SpAtk/ 252 Speed

Sunny day

Solar Beam

Magical Leaf/Weather ball(weather ball is an egg move)

Growth

Physical attack Grass types

Jumpluff

Ability: Chlorophyll

Nature:Adamant/Jolly

Ev:252 Atk/252 Speed/6 SpDef

Acrobatics

U-Turn/Bounce

Seed bomb(seed bomb is an egg move)

Leech seed/sleep powder/Sunny Day

Shiftry

Ability: Chlorophyll
Ev:252 Atk/252 Speed/6 Def

Feint Attack/Foul Play(Foul Play is an egg move)

Leaf Blade

Nature Power/Sunny day

Growth

Gourgeist

Ability:Insomnia

Nature: Adamant/Brave
EV: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/6 Def

Pain split/leech seed

Seed Bomb

Phantom Force

Shadow Sneak/Explosion

Leavanny

Nature:Jolly/Adamant

EV:252 Atk/252 Speed/6 Def

Leaf Blade
Swords Dance/fell Stinger
Sticky Web/Protect
X-Scissors

Leafeon

Leaf Blade
Swords Dance
Baton Pass/Synthesis
Facade/Last Resort/Nature power

Cacturne
Ability: Water Absorb

EV:252 HP/252 Atk/6 Def

Seed Bomb/Needle Arm(seed bomb is an egg move)
Sucker Punch
Destiny Bond/Pay back
Brick Break/Revenge/Low kick(low kick is an egg move)

Ok next you can upgrade you electric type since emolga is kinda meh and not gonna be so useful in late game. personally i would replace Emolga with Either Ampharos. Heliolisk or Magnazone. since you have solar power on charizard so i would use a sun team so heliolisk would be awesome in sun team. Also listed the electric types you can consider for your team below. well there are not many decent physical atk electric types available early-mid game so i would go for a special atk one instead.

Special Attack Electric type

Heliolisk
Ability:Solar power

Nature;Modest/Timid

Thunderbolt/Thunder
Surf/Round/Hidden Power
Dark pulse
Grass knot/Round

Ampharos
Ability:static/plus

Ev:252 Hp/252 SpAtk/6 SpDef

Thunder/discharge
Signal Beam
Dragon pulse
Power Gem

Raichu
Ability: Lightning Rod/Static

Nature;Modest/Timid

Thunderbolt
Nasty Plot
Grass Knot
Thunder/discharge

Magnezone/Magneton
Ability:Analytic/Sturdy

Ev:252 Hp/252 SpAtk/6 Def

Discharge
Flash cannon
Tri-Attack
Mirror Coat

Galvantula
Ability:Swarm/Compound eyes

Nature;Modest/Timid
EV: 252 SpAtk/252 Speed/6 HP

Bug buzz
Signal Beam
Discharge
Sticky web

Eelektross
Ability: levitate

Flamethrower
Grass knot
Discharge
Thunderbolt

Manectric
Ability:Lighting Rod/Static

Nature;Modest/Timid
EV: 252 SpAtk/252 Speed/6 HP

Flamethrower/round/Hidden power(before you get tm flamethrower put hidden power or round)
Discharge
Uproar/round/hidden power(uproar is an egg move)
Thunder

Physical Attack Electric type

Zebstrika
Ability:Motor Drive/Sap sipper/ lightning Rod

EV:252 Atk/252 Speed/6 HP

Flame Charge
Wild Charge
Thrash
Spark

Eelektross
Ability: Levitate

Nature:Brave/Adamant

EV: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Def

Wild Charge
Crunch
Crush claw
Brick Break/Thrash/Headbutt(put brick break once you get the TM if not just put trash or Headbutt)

Donphan is a good ground type but is kinda slow you can keep donphan if you like but you can also consider adding other ground types which are better.Also i would remove nidoqueen because well nidoqueen's are mostly build to do special attack and as i said earlier your team can be walled by a spdef wall. you can put in a nidoking but you will have to replace donphan with it since having too many ground types in a team is also no good. Anyways i have listed the other ground types you can replace donphan. not gonna put special attack ground types because well you should know why.

Physical Atk Ground Types

Nidoking

Ability:Sheer Force

Poison Jab

Drill Run/Chip away

Shadow Claw

Iron Tail/Secret power(Egg move/move tutor)

Excadrill

Ability:Sand force/Sand rush

Drill Run/Sandstorm/Rock slide

Earthquake

Metal Claw

Swords Dance

Mamoswine

Ability:Thick Fat

Ice shard

Earthquake

Icicle crash/ice fang(icicle crash is an egg move)

Mist/Thrash(mist for field changing it is very very useful in reborn but if you wanna go all out atk you can put thrash instead)

Flygon

Ability: Levitate

EV: 252 Atk/252 Speed/6 HP

Earthquake

Rock slide

Dragon Rush/Dragon Claw

Super Power/Dragon Claw/Dragon rush/Crunch(if you are lazy to get super power by training a trapinch to lvl 41 just put dragon claw/rush if u want more stab move or crunch for coverage)

Krookodile

Ability:Moxie

EV:252 Atk/252 speed/6 HP

Outrage

Foul Play

Earthquake

Brick Break/Crunch(crunch before you get TM for brick break)

Golurk

Ability:No guard

Nature:Brave/Adamant

Dynamic Punch

Phantom Force

Earthquake

Mega Punch/Shadow punch

Diggersby

Ability:Huge Power

EV: 252 Atk/252 speed/6 Hp

Earthquake

Bounce

Quick attack/Strength

Swords Dance

Quagsire

Ability:water absorb

Nature:Brave/Adamant/Relaxed/impish

Curse(egg move)

Recover

Earthquake

Waterfall

Gardevoir is good so you can keep it in you team now all your team needs is a good fighting type to round out the weakness of your team.i would go for heracross/scrafty/Hariyama. heracross because he can deal a lot of dmg and his move pool is not that bad and scarfty/hariyama because they are tanky and can take hits. You could go for a medicham but you would have to replace gardevoir if you want to do that. same thing again ther is a list of fighting type below which you can choose.

Physical Atk Fighting type

Hariyama

Ability:thick fat

EV:252 HP/252 Atk/6 SpDef

Close Combat

Wake-Up Slap

Knock off

Heavy slam

Medicham

Ability:Pure power

EV;252 Atk/252 Speed/6 Def

Zen Headbutt

High Jump Kick

Bullet Punch/Ice Punch/thunder punch(bullet punch is an egg move. put bullet punch to deal with fairy type and ice punch/thunder punch for coverage)

Thunder Punch/Ice punch

Scrafty

EV;252 Atk/252 speed/6Spdef

Dragon Dance(egg move)

High Jump Kick/Brick break

Crunch

Brick Break/Thunder punch/Ice punch( ice punch and thunder punch are egg moves. i would go for ice punch since it helps wit coverage)

Heracross

EV;252 Atk/252 Speed/6 Sp def

Close Combat

Mega Horn

Ariel Ace

Night Slash

Samples of what team you can mix and match from the pokemon i suggested:

Team 1

Charizard,Jumpluff,Gardevoir,Magnezone,Flygon,Heracross

Team 2

Charizard,Roserade,Medicham,Scrafty,Heliolisk,Excadrill

Team 3

Charizard,Jumpluff,Heliolisk,Gardevoir,Nidoking,Scrafty

Oh almost forgot gimmick pokemon can be very useful when vsing bosses so i highly recommend making once. Example of gimmick pokemon are below.

Murkrow

Ability:Prankster

Nature: Jolly

EV:252 HP/252 Speed/6 SpDef

Tailwind

Taunt/Swagger

Perish Song(egg move)

Foul Play

Bastiodon

Nature:Careful/Impish/Relaxed/Sassy

EV:252 HP/252 Def/6 SpDef

Metal Burst

-fill

-fill

-fill

Aggron

Nature:Careful/Impish/Relaxed/Sassy
EV:252 HP/252 Def/6 SpDef

Metal burst

-fill

-fill

-fill

Magnezone

Ability;Sturdy

Discharge
Flash cannon
Tri-Attack
Mirror Coat<--- The most important move for a gimmick set

Sawk

EV:252 Hp/252 Atk/6 Def

Counter

Reversal

Close combat

Bulk up

Sudowoodo

EV:252 Hp/252 Atk/6 Def

Counter

Sucker punch

Rock slide

Stone edge

Ok now for a TLDR:

1) Your team has too much special attacking pokemon and can be walled by Sp def walls

2) Get a gimmick pokemon to help with bosses

3) Make a pick up team to get free stuffs while Grinding/Ev Training

4) You can have sub/reserve members

5) Mix and match so that your team is not physical or special attack heavy

6) Ev training, perfect IV and good nature are not so important you can play the game and finish it if you have a decent team and subs.

7) When building a team try to cover the team members weakness with other team member

8) Sample team around the end of the post have 3 of them there so just head over there to see the sample teams.

9) There are not many TM in reborn yet so try to use pokemons which have a good move pool and dont really need TM

Edited by Luna

No problem. Well i did not cover how to use them gimmick pokemon,i m sure you know how to use them. also did not cover what pokemons can be subs/reserve team and what subs/reserves are good for the future battles because i did not want to spoil the later parts of the game.

Actually I've already completed the game, but I had reserved then so I decided to make it harder and nuzlockes are a little extrem for me so I'm using a set 6 pokemon starting now (lucky me ampharos was part of my original team I just screwed up his moveset, but I can fix that.) yeah again thanks for the advice