Praise The Sun... and Moon - Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon

Godot

Poor salamence. Getting hit by yveltal's oblivion wing and now getting hit by a metal lion crashing down on it like a meteor. Which was pretty cool.

Also the rotom pokedex looks more like the holo caster, poke nav and pokedex all in one package.

No one gonna talk about how this is clearly just gen 6 with new Pokeymen? The humans in the overwold aren't chibi anymore but that's the only difference. Everything else looks EXACTLY like gen 6. This doesn't bode well, I bet it'll have the same framerate issues as gen 6.

By the way, the island called "Hawaii" happens to be the largest of all the islands in Hawaii. Does this mean that the island you start on, the island called "Alola", is the biggest of the five? If so that's just sad.

Considering that both of gen 6 and 7 are in the same console or handheld I think it's acceptable. It's more like the transition from Gen 4 to Get 5.

Also I think all the islands together are known as Alola.

No one gonna talk about how this is clearly just gen 6 with new Pokeymen? The humans in the overwold aren't chibi anymore but that's the only difference. Everything else looks EXACTLY like gen 6. This doesn't bode well, I bet it'll have the same framerate issues as gen 6.

By the way, the island called "Hawaii" happens to be the largest of all the islands in Hawaii. Does this mean that the island you start on, the island called "Alola", is the biggest of the five? If so that's just sad.

Nay, we definitely and evidently do not start on the biggest one. I mean... we only hear "welcome to the Alola region -we don't specifically know the island name if there's even one.. but yeah if you look at the map, you can see our island has nothing but 3 towns (2 pokemon centers) . It's the smallest of the bunch if anything (that's if you don't count the leftmost island because it seems to have no towns..)

That's an interesting take on Lugia and Ho-oh, I can make out the shapes as well, but I'm not sure how that would be super relevant to SM of all things..

We already knew that we'd get other region pokemon in alola since there was a meowth cameo. Now there's a slowpoke cameo too, as well as pikash*t . They couldn't resist keeping that out, could they?

and yes, as stated, we're still using the 3ds. I believe they have added enough differences in that the world is now no longer a sprite-world, but you actually see everything as your full-sized self. Probably stuff like fps will be the same, but yeah, it's still 3ds. Unova and Sinnoh were just as different as Kalos and these

I'd honestly be more concerned about the bracelet with the logo crystal though... that may or may not be another mode of evolution plsnoburst

Edited by Masquerain

The difference between gen 4 and 5 is clear, especially in battle.

Look at "gen 7", if we can even call it that anymore. Look at the models of Salamence and Gengar. They are literally just the models from gen 6.

Oops, double post. I'd delete this, but for some reason my computer crashes whenever I try to click the "delete" button

In fairness, it probably takes a lot more work to remake a 3D model than it does to make a sprite. Also the fact that every generation means there are more and more Pokemon to model for, and they would have 721 models to redo. What exactly do you suppose they should do to change the models anyway?

• Global Mods

There are four islands with a white building in the center. I'm guessing each island has 2 gyms, with the central building being the Pokemon League.

Psychic/Steel is a cool typing for Solgaleo, but I'm not sure Psychic/Ghost is the best choice for Lunala.

The difference between gen 4 and 5 is clear, especially in battle.

Look at "gen 7", if we can even call it that anymore. Look at the models of Salamence and Gengar. They are literally just the models from gen 6.

Gen 5 also reused some sprites so it's not that bad a case. And trailers did show that trainers are visible in the battlefield so that's also an improvement. They took a step to 3d. All they can do now is refine it to look better.

So this was pointed out on aDrive's youtube channel, and I don't know if it has been mentioned here yet:

I'm against fusions, but why do the protagonists look so eerily similar to the starters?

sumo-protag2.jpg

Edited by Strider

So this was pointed out on aDrive's youtube channel, and I don't know if it has been mentioned here yet:

I'm against fusions, but why do the protagonists look so eerily similar to the starters?

sumo-protag2.jpg

They don't really.. Just because one wears colors similar to the owl and the other just wears blue... , nah, they don't. Hell, Olympia is eerily similar to a Lunala gijinka if anything

but this is a thing anyway 9fd503aec7.jpg

Edited by Masquerain

Been wondering about that. I'm hoping it's the mega evolution ring or whatever it's needed to mega evolve.

But it sure doesn't allude to mega evolution ...rather a new kind of gimmick that is going to use revive-lookin things that better not be burst hearts

There are four islands with a white building in the center. I'm guessing each island has 2 gyms, with the central building being the Pokemon League.

Psychic/Steel is a cool typing for Solgaleo, but I'm not sure Psychic/Ghost is the best choice for Lunala.

I was hoping for Dark/Fairy for Lunala, so I was really disappointed.

The 3rd legendary is diffently going to be dark, I find it interesting that steel used to resist dark but now it doesn't and both mons have psychic

If we assume it is going to be Marshadow... we can assume it may be the eclipse to the sun and the moon.. so yeah, it could fit dark

it could be dark poison (come on, we need a poison legend already)

Marshadow as a name can go a few ways... Mars + shadow (but why? and how would you base a pokemon on mars... what relation does it have to sun and moon? ) dark fighting or ghost fighting ? Since mars is the god of war and all and shadow could be either ghost or dark-related

Mar + shadow = to mar means to taint, to ruin.. can relate to poluting the sun and moon, i.e. poison/ghost or poison/dark

At least that's my take on it.. I'm not sure what the hell they could really base marshadow on though.. That's if it really is the third legend.. But so far all trademark names have been for SM so..wellp

Im generally confused as to why solgaleo is a psychic/steel type. he has sun mentioned so many times, and it even says that it resembles the sun, and yet its weak to fire? that's just confusing. its ability hopefully isn't just like clear body, and it block status moves from reducing stats.

the rotom pokedex is a fresh perspective. it points out hints, tells you where to go, records conversation, and it talks to you. that is a nice touch.

with the region being four islands I can generally guess that u cant make it to the next island without getting all the badges on the previous. plus with it being separate it really makes interesting to know which pokemon can be found on which island. the artificial one I believe it to be either the evil team base, some frontier, or the most likely the pokemon league.

Solgaleo's type certainly seems odd to me, but it could be a fun one (although I do find it a little odd that the sun is weak to fire...)

Its ability seems to be a version of clear body, so I'm hoping it does something else as well.

Lunaala has a pretty bad typing given dark types are a thing, but it could still be fun.

The game looks beautiful so far, and those two new attacks have amazing animations.

Overall I'm pretty excited by all of this news :D

If we assume it is going to be Marshadow... we can assume it may be the eclipse to the sun and the moon.. so yeah, it could fit dark

it could be dark poison (come on, we need a poison legend already)

Marshadow as a name can go a few ways... Mars + shadow (but why? and how would you base a pokemon on mars... what relation does it have to sun and moon? ) dark fighting or ghost fighting ? Since mars is the god of war and all and shadow could be either ghost or dark-related

Mar + shadow = to mar means to taint, to ruin.. can relate to poluting the sun and moon, i.e. poison/ghost or poison/dark

At least that's my take on it.. I'm not sure what the hell they could really base marshadow on though.. That's if it really is the third legend.. But so far all trademark names have been for SM so..wellp

Mars is the god of war, Dark type in Japanese is called 'Evil' type, war is evil? Could be a thing.

tumblr_o85d9psxkc1v68t0mo2_500.gif

I love how wonderfully smooth this animation is. The quick arm movement, the little jiggle of hair, and the smile. So nice.

alolamap.jpg

Any idea what the walled-in area at the top of the rightmost island could be? Seems odd for it to have such a definite barrier between it and the outside world.

Also of note is the giant tree on the leftmost island. Intriguing stuff.

Mars is the god of war, Dark type in Japanese is called 'Evil' type, war is evil? Could be a thing.

I love how wonderfully smooth this animation is. The quick arm movement, the little jiggle of hair, and the smile. So nice.

alolamap.jpg

Any idea what the walled-in area at the top of the rightmost island could be? Seems odd for it to have such a definite barrier between it and the outside world.

wouldn't it be awsome if we could edit our throwing mechanics, kind of like the video editing in x and y

also #Lugia and Ho-oH confirmed in that picture

alolamap.jpg

Well you have several options...

attack-on-titan.jpg

heres-how-donald-trump-plans-to-fund-his

:ph34r: No but seriously, the Volcanion movie's city is also a closed-off one. It's Azoth, mechanical city of ..alchemy? So maybe we'll be getting something like that as well. I'm personally still on the alchemy plot train (and the cultist plot train :ph34r: ) , especially since Solgaleo's dex entry depicts it as the beast that devoured the sun. The green lion devouring the sun is a symbol of alchemy , much like various other elements within the sunmoon games seem to be (Litten's forehead, rowlet's beak and popplio's body shape = sulfur salt and mercury) and so on... It's possible

Is it just me or is there a small island in the top right corner? idk but it looks like it's partly obscured by clouds

might be one of those tiny post game islands like in hoenn or sinnoh though

Yes there is and there might also be other obscured stuff.. there's a piece at the very bottom right that MAY look like obscured land..who knows, it's vague

I'd also like for us to take note of the fact that we can clearly distinguish 10 towns/cities in Alola.. the only regions with 10 towns are...you guessed it- johto and kanto. .. everything after them has at least 15 (counting league and post game areas).

Take that info, take the lugia + hooh lookin clouds, take the suspiciously familiar lighthouse b9b7e4ae19.jpgand japanese tower afb9a5fd7b.jpgon the top and bottom right islands ...aaand you might just start thinking that SM really draws more inspiration from Johto , much like a bunch of Kalos stuff were rmeiniscent of Kanto. Could there still be hope of a second region, given the small number of clearly visible towns? probably not well, who knows.. The region still looks quite small since in-game footage shows places are quite close to each other...and not really super big

Edited by Masquerain

• Developers

Im generally confused as to why solgaleo is a psychic/steel type. he has sun mentioned so many times, and it even says that it resembles the sun, and yet its weak to fire? that's just confusing. its ability hopefully isn't just like clear body, and it block status moves from reducing stats.

the rotom pokedex is a fresh perspective. it points out hints, tells you where to go, records conversation, and it talks to you. that is a nice touch.

with the region being four islands I can generally guess that u cant make it to the next island without getting all the badges on the previous. plus with it being separate it really makes interesting to know which pokemon can be found on which island. the artificial one I believe it to be either the evil team base, some frontier, or the most likely the pokemon league.

Solgaleo's type certainly seems odd to me, but it could be a fun one (although I do find it a little odd that the sun is weak to fire...)

Its ability seems to be a version of clear body, so I'm hoping it does something else as well.

Lunaala has a pretty bad typing given dark types are a thing, but it could still be fun.

The game looks beautiful so far, and those two new attacks have amazing animations.

Overall I'm pretty excited by all of this news :D

I was going to post this earlier but I got lazy and fell asleep.

Anyways! To explain why Solgaleo is a Steel/Psychic type.

To address the first point of: "The sun is on fire, the Pokemon of the sun should be fire too!"

This is actually a misconception! The sun is not actually on fire at all. For burning to be possible, oxygen must be present, and as the sun is in space where there is no oxygen, it is not on fire. It is however going through

a process called nuclear fusion. Elements are being fused together to create Iron.

Iron is a component of Steel. yada yada.

Upon further research I've found out that the alchemical symbol for -metal- is a lion eating the sun. Which is mentioned in Solgaleo's info on the website.

3e033d98e18b069136771af93d0ae009.png

tl:dr Solgaleo is based off the alchemical symbol for metal, and the sun isn't actually on fire. Hence the absence of a fire type.

Edit: Literally right after I posted this I found a reddit explaining it. Rip, probably should of just linked that instead.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/4m7vad/just_for_clarification_solgaleo_the_beast_who/

Is it just me or is there a small island in the top right corner? idk but it looks like it's partly obscured by clouds

might be one of those tiny post game islands like in hoenn or sinnoh though

There's also an island just left of the island on the far right.

d26685078a79d442021b6ad277046173.png

You know, the craziest thought had occurred to me.

Take this young girl the same age as the player:

170px-Sun_Moon_Lillie.png

And take this young scientist, who also ends up being the new leader of Team Plasma:

200px-Black_2_White_2_Colress.png

Remember how Colress had a central role to the plot and became leader of Team Plasma? You know how everybody's assuming Lillie is going to be a member of the new team? Yeah, I'm guessing that too, but with a different twist. What if these two characters, are actually related to one another in some way? Whether it be brother and sister, or father and daughter, etc. I mean, just LOOK at the similarities!

• Both of them have blonde hair!
  • Both of them wear white clothes!
  • Both of them relate to science!!! Colress is obsessed with science and joins Team Plasma, while Lillie is actually Professor Kukui's assistant.
  • Both of them are nerds!!! Colress battles to study Pokemon's ultimate potential, and although Lillie doesn't battle, SHE LOVES TO READ AND DEVOUR BOOKS! Like, HOW HIGH ARE YOU TO BE EATING BOOKS, BITCH? GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE, LITTLE READING RAINBOW BITCHASS!
  • BOTH OF THEM ARE CENTRAL TO THE PLOT FOR THEIR RESPECTIVE GAMES!!!

Now, I know some of you could say "But Trevor, they can't be related at all! There's plenty of people who have blonde hair, love science, and they're not even related to Colress or Lillie whatsoever!" Well, I'm just going to say FUCK THAT.

Clemont_XY_4.png

Yes, I am well aware that Clemont and Bonnie aren't even remotely related to either of them, and YES, Clemont loves science to death. "Science is so amazing!" BITCH, NO IT IS NOT. Just kidding, I love science. But they are not central to the plot of X and Y AT ALL. In fact, the only relevance THESE TWO have is in the ANIME, other than Clemont being a gym leader in X and Y, but even then, he does NOTHING. Like, damn, get the fuck outta here, little Issac-Wannabe smartass and Brock-Wannabe bitchass!

Speaking of Issac, who remembers THIS Coconut-head, Galactic-wannabe, looking bitchass?

120px-Isaac.png

THIS guy has relatives, and yes, he and his sister aren't related to Colress or Lillie (Definitely not Lillie because he already has a sister named Melody), but LOOK AT THE SIMILARITIES! Look at his blond hair, his decked-out labcoat, And LOOK! He was in a terrorist group JUST LIKE MY BOY COLRESS!

Now, I feel that the theory of Colress and Lillie being related is a strong one because of their similarities, and of how they both play an important role in the plot. Now we still don't know what Lillie's role is yet, but I can already tell there's more to her than meets the eye, just like how there was more to Colress than we originally thought when we first saw him. I'd like to see your thoughts on this theory, whether it's plausible, or if it's straight-up debunked, etc. There's just some food for thought for you all.