Praise The Sun... and Moon - Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon

Godot

Apparently there's 26 Z moves, at least According to Gamexplain, which seems like a decent number until you remember that there's one for every type, meaning there are only actually 8 unique Z moves. And at least 6 of them have already been shown in trailers (maybe even more that I'm not remembering).

They threw away megas for this?

Apparently there's 26 Z moves, at least According to Gamexplain, which seems like a decent number until you remember that there's one for every type, meaning there are only actually 8 unique Z moves. And at least 6 of them have already been shown in trailers (maybe even more that I'm not remembering).

They threw away megas for this?

3 starter z moves

1 tapu z move

1 eevee z move

1 Pikachu z move

1 snorlax z move

so only one unique z move has not been revealed although many of the non unique ones have yet to be shown also so you have that to look forward to I guess

Edited by nepeta100

Lol Gamexplain get it together, how did you miss 3 Z moves?

Still, 11 non-generic super attacks (the majority of which were shown in trailers) is still pretty underwhelming for something that's supposed to herald the end of megas, of which there's like 50

• Veterans

Lol Gamexplain get it together, how did you miss 3 Z moves?

Still, 11 non-generic super attacks (the majority of which were shown in trailers) is still pretty underwhelming for something that's supposed to herald the end of megas, of which there's like 50

....which were spread over 2 games. One of the major complaints about Mega Evolutions from what I remember was that people complained that their favourite Pokemon didn't get one, with Z-moves, everyone gets access to them. So really, it's not really underwhelming at all.

Personally, I believe they didn't introduce any new megas this time around just because the focus of these games was supposed to be on Z moves. I think that whatever the next games will be (Stars, Gen 4 remake, or whatever) will introduce more of each.

• Global Mods

I just finished the postgame in Sun so here's a list of things that I liked and didn't like about SM. Warning: contains spoilers all the way up to the postgame.

Liked

+When you lift up the starter you choose

+I mentioned this about the demo, but I was fascinated by objects that've never been seen before in Pokemon games like fire extinguishers and coffee machines

+The soundtrack is A M A Z I N G

+Poke Ride replacing HMs while the good HMs became TMs

+Team Skull is hilarious and I'd never expected to see the kind of dialogue they have in Pokemon.

+I thought it was interesting that this is the first time we live on a route instead of a small town (granted, right next to both a small town and a big city, but still a first)

+The minigames from Pokemon Amie didn't carry over to Pokemon Refresh. I didn't really enjoy having to do those minigames to get cupcakes, and I wasn't very good at them. The new options like medicine for healing status conditions and dusting the Pokemon off are cool too.

+All the little sidequests like finding a specific Pokemon, trainers that you need to beat all the other trainers in the area to face, etc.

+Lillie and Nebby interactions. Especially the one after getting to Akala where Nebby is all > A < about having to stay in the bag.

+Water changing colors with the time of day.

+The map layout on the bottom screen makes it easy to not get lost like the AreaNav from ORAS

+Rotom Dex

+Swapping held items and party members is quicker now

+Tapu Cocoa pun

+Some trainers do activities in the overworld like stretching or exercising.

+"So, if you'd just stay hidden, we'dve been stuck here anyway, right?" Both that line and Faba's reaction.

+A lot of the characters from the Battle Tree have appearances during the story. I was really shocked when the person with a kimono who was mentioned turned out to be Grimsley. Also, Grimsley's kimono.

+Anabel returning. The main reason I wanted the Battle Frontier to return in ORAS wasn't to do the facilities but to see updated designs for the Frontier Brains, and now there is one. Both her new design and role in postgame story are better than I could have imagined.

+Some of the overworld interactions with Pokemon were funny, like one of the Sudowoodo that blocks off Route 6 saying "So?" almost like it's taunting us.

+All of the villains being redeemed in some way. I wish we could've got to see Lusamine again postgame, but it's really rare in Pokemon for all of them to make a new start. The only other time I think it's happened is in ORAS. There are usually a few that we never see again after the team is beaten.

+Being able to defend Champion title.

Didn't like

-There's no rebattleable trainers (or at least that I encountered), so if you run out of trainers you're stuck with just wild Pokemon to grind on. I think a rematch tool should be included in every game. This wasn't a big problem for me because EXP Share, but it was something I worried about early on.

-I'm not fond of Kiawe's event battle being exclusive to Sun and Mallow's being exclusive to Moon.

-There's very noticeable lag in double battles and when wild Pokemon and totems call for help.

-I don't get how Hau keeps up with us on trials when he mentions quite a few times not being as strong as Hala? Wouldn't he have needed to beat Hala?

-Why do we just stand there while Lusamine holds up the cube and summons the Ultra Beasts?

-I found it weird that not all the island's ferries can go to every ferry terminal. Not that it matters because Ride Charizard, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

-Instead of battling Dexio twice, why didn't we battle Dexio once and Sina once?

-When using Poke Ride, the music change sometimes killed the atmosphere for me. It's not the fact the music changed (bicycle and surf music have always done this), but what it changes to. Especially going from Ten Carat Hill, one of my favorite tracks in the game, to farm music.

-Same as with ORAS with the non-Hoenn legendaries, battle themes for returning characters not getting updated (other than Red and Blue).

-Notable characters using standard trainer battle theme. This has always happened and I'm okay with it for minor side characters like Eusine and Aarune, but for example Guzma losing his unique battle theme in the postgame battle and Red and Blue not having their new theme in front of the Battle Tree.

There may be some things I forgot. But I think Alola is my new favorite region and SM are my new favorite Pokemon games.

• Upvote 2

Let's disagree there actually. I'll give you dark but ghost I thought was just alright. I like Shattered Psyche more.

One thing about these Z moves is that the anime is going to make them look incredible. Gigavolt Havoc and Inferno Overdrive already looked super cool when they were shown. Though I can see a lot of recycled frames being used later on lol.

After beating the main story, gotta say, SM is probably my favorite pokemon game. Ending was lovely, I was getting a bit teary eyed. My god has GF evolved since gen 1.

Loving this game so much.

While there have been complaints about the density of cutscenes in this game, I actually kinda like the focus on world-building and plot in this game. I liked how a greater amoutn of Pokemon were more integrated into the world than in past entries rather than mostly being extensions of their trainer, unseen outside of battle (the sequence where the player gets his/her starter Pokemon is just precious!). Team Skull was certainly different from the other evil teams up til now (in a good, funny way), and actually, I found a good deal of the dialogue in this game to be rather amusing. And I've never even considered ever actually becoming the Champion in a Pokemon game, but now that it's actually possible, I take a great amount of satisfaction in that fact (despite, gameplay-wise, working almost exactly like before). I also found the graphics to be a nice step up from the last generation; graphics seem to get better by the generation.

I also found a lot of the new Pokemon to be interesting - usually I tend to stick with specific Pokemon throughout the main game, but not here. Too much stuff I wanted to use, so as new things like Mimikyu, Dhelmise, and Vulpix became available I was forced to shelve old teammates if I wanted to use them. Cutiefly/Ribombee somehow managed to be the most deadly member of my team despite being the smallest, so a shout-out for that cutie.

The Trials were far more interesting/challenging than traditional Gyms as well (I especially enjoyed the Fire and Ghost trials, and kinda wish I could've spent more time appreciating the Pikachu shrine in the latter before it disappeared). I was hyped for the game as it is and it still managed to exceed my expectations.

I do have a few complaints such as how leveling gets so hard at high levels, how it's just about impossible to find high-leveled Festival Plaza facilities, and that I'm unable to use Pokeballs when there are two or more Pokemon on the field at once (which can get rather frustrating), but overall, I think that this was the most enjoyable main series Pokemon game yet to me. Now for the trouble that goes into building a competitive team, but hopefully I'll be able to enjoy that too.

Edited by Character OS

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished the game and I gotta say they did a great job at making Pokemon difficult again.  I'm actually pretty sure this is the hardest game to date, or at least the one I had the most trouble with personally (not counting my first attempt at Ruby version back when I was a dumb kid).  The final boss for example, I barely won with 21/179 hp on my Primarina who was the only one left conscious, and only after like the third try (it didn't help I was intentionally not using healing items but still).  You know how the game pushes the whole "you couldn't have done it without any one of your Pokemon" narrative even though it's usually bullcrap?  This was the first time I ever actually felt that was true.  Yes, even counting Reborn.

...This is all assuming you turn the exp share off, of course.  If you keep it on it still breaks the game and makes it horrendously easy, as is evident from what I've seen of Shofu's playthrough (a boss battle that swept me didn't even land a single hit on him.  Wtf.)

Not that I don't have anything negative to say about the game, of course.   As a matter of fact, while 6th gen was a crappy set of games that did some great things for the franchise in the long run, these games are the opposite, they're great but it seems they've done more harm than good.  But that's a post for another time.

Next to Black/White/Black 2/White 2 this is probably my favorite game in the series.  I loved the characters.  The story was awesome.  The villains were really cool.  Gladion was probably one of my favorite characters in the franchise next to N.  And I love the increase difficulty.  That feeling of being down to your last Pokemon against a Totem is thrilling.  I just got to the Elite Four, so I am pumped for the Post Game.

If there was a hardcore rivalry in the game then this would have been absolutely perfect.

I've spent more time playing Festival Plaza than playing the main story so far.

Speaking of which, what are you best plaza shops? I've got 4 star Confuse rays and the Gold lottery thing.

I'm looking for a high star fortune teller shop and big dreams lotto.