Creating a Pokemon Game

JoJoDeath

Hey people,

I have been playing Reborn for quite some time, and have finished the story up till the most recent events. After that I played some other Pokemon fan games, and it gave me a lot of cool ideas.

So I created a bunch of concepts for a Pokemon game, but I have no idea where to start. Can anyone give a recommandation as to what program would be best fitted to create a pokemon game, or how to get all the pokemon sprites, animations, and stats worked out?

My idea involved using a new map with all the pokemon up till gen 6(the latest version for pokemon) as well as some original pokemon sprites(like some of the mixed Pokemons in Reborn, like the Tangrowth or the Swalot).

Any tips would be appreciated! Whether it's about the engine, or the stats and everything, it's all welcome ^^

~ JoJo

RPGmaker. Also, speak with one of those who are already in the process of making their game for the technical stuff. Then sit at your desk to organize your story, characters, and build your world. When that's done, you start working on it, ask around for tips and then publish it. It should take about a year to get it started.

Hello!

First, there is a whole section for new and different Fangames, where you could find many useful information and even follow the development of other games.

The program that is used most commonly is, of course, RPG maker XP, coupled with the Pokemon Essential starter kit. From there you can create your maps, add events and other stuff. Most of the core features are already implemented, so you don't have to worry too much about that.

To create the sprites there are some other programs, but I'm not experienced in spriting anyways :P

But, before you do anything else, you should have planned a good story and some characters. Just try to write down every idea that comes to mind and start from there.

I'll just add that I am in the same boat as you :)

• Veterans

Here's a few tips I like to follow myself!

If you want to make sure your story is off to a good start, plan most of your characters/storyline beforehand. It doesn't have to be in full detail yet, just make sure that you have a guideline you can follow while developing your game, it gives you grip on what should come after one and another event. Like Cyaloom said, write down every idea you may come up with and see if you can do anything with it.

If you're looking for software to make sprites with, GraphicsGale is the best free software that you can get to make sprites, but you can also use Photoshop or any other programs that support transparency and have a Pencil tool built in (I use paint tool SAI but honestly, it's not that suitable for spriting. It's that I'm used to working with it that I'm using it.)

Working with iterations is normal, so don't feel bad if you end up redoing a thing multiple times! It can only get better anyways, so there's no shame in i.e. having one sprite for a character in the first version, then have an updated version in the next because you're not satisfied with the old one etc etc.

For general design, make sure to know what audience you're targeting so you don't start writing things or make design choices that may seem weird for the audience that you're aiming for. If you're going for a casual game make sure that the difficulty isn't too hard and the story not TOO complicated to follow (it still should be a good one though), if you're targeting a more mature and experienced audience like reborn's it's probably better to pitch up the difficulty as well as the complexity of the story (but don't make it too complex or else it'll get confusing, so be careful!).

Lastly, be sure to have fun while making your game! It's important that you're the one having fun making the game because if YOU'RE enthusiastic about your game, it'll rub off on people and they'll get excited with you as well, so enjoy yourself! Storywriting and game development is fun, but of course, don't overwork yourself or you'll end up getting burnt out, which is something you definitely don't want to happen.

Hope the advice helped and good luck! :]