Can't make up my mind

Dordoka

Hello there! I've just started playing Reborn from the very beginning and I need some help with my team.

I always plan on what my team of six is going to look like, and this time I'm having some trouble deciding on it, so you can help me complete it ;D I'm trying to use 'mons I have not used before (emphasis on "try", I've used Swampert millions of times, but I like it so much). Remember, this is an in-game team, so EVs, IVs and items are not something I'm worrying about right now. I don't care much for natures either, as long as they are not straight up garbage (like a modest Weavile, for instance).

This is what I've got in mind so far:

Swampert (never used it before): Waterfall, Earthquake and some coverage (ice, fighting...)

Manectric: Thunderbolt, Flamethrower and whatever you say I should roll with.

Butterfree: Bug Buzz, Psychic, Roost, Quiver Dance.

Leafeon: Leaf Blade, Wish and maybe some coverage (X-Scissors, Aerial Ace, Dig...)

Zoroark: Dark Pulse, Focus Blast, Flamethrower and for the last move you tell me.

???: I don't know...

I like this team, I've never used Zoroark, Manectric and Leafeon before and I used Butterfree in LeafGreen once, but it doesn't count beause of Gen III flawed mechanics.

I was also considering replacing Zoroark for Scrafty, but I've already used him a couple of times.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion you may have :D

Butterfree will not get you very far past Shelly, so I'd recommend dropping it (and don't pay attention to my trainer card, it's very outdated. Ahahaha.) If you're still looking for a bug type to fit the slot, Yanmega is a much better Bug-Flying, and Escavalier is pretty tough at the cost of being ridiculously slow. I've also heard some good things about Venomoth, so you might want to give that a shot.

X-Scissors on Leafeon is good if you can get your hands on it somehow, I'm not sure there's a TM for it and you can't breed it onto them without travelling BACK INTO THE PAST!! (e.g. Episode 8 or something because mechanics)

If you're looking for something you've never used before, Vanilluxe, Gogoat, & Samurott have all been very useful to me. Drapion is useful too, so I hear, but in my personal experience I've never found them worth training. Maybe I was doing something wrong. Give them a try sometime, if you'd like ^-^ Best of luck!!

Edited by BreezyPonie

For the zoroark, you might want to go for: extrasensory for extra coverage (the move comes with the zorua so no breeding), nasty plot for set up, taunt to shut down recovery/set up or u-turn to switch out unfavorable match ups (zoroark is very very frail).
For the manectric, electric terrain might be a thing to consider since removing a field is usefull and thunder wave to disrupt the enemy or if you have a good hidden power take that.

For your last pokemon try something gimmicky like a destiny bond/perish song,counter or even imposter pkmn you might never know when you need it ;) . I would suggest mismagius but I'm a bit biased in that regard.

You'd need a steel type. Why not Magnezone? Why not six Magnezones and be done with it?

In all seriousness, though, Bisharp might be a better bet than Zoroark, as it has better power and physical bulk, Defiant, and gets good moves like Swords Dance and Iron Head; breeding can give it Sucker Punch too. Or you could wait till later and get yourself a Lucario. The best steel types you can get rather earlier in the game remain Magnemite and the klink family, however.

I like the idea of using butterfree since the poor thing is never used. curse you mega beedrill

If you're looking for a steel type, i'd suggest something like magnezone or kilgklang.

maybe skarmory, he's not used to often for how cool he looks.

Vivilion is juat a better Butterfree, so if you haven't try the newer butterfly I tottaly recomend it.

Zoroark is an all favorite of mine and I have used it too, but unfortunately the AI in Reborn can see through the Illusion so most of the times you will find yourself get hit by SE moves :/ (but if you don't give a crap about AI Darka Pulse/Flamethrower/Extrasensory/Nasty Plot is the set you should use).

Manectric is probably the simplest pokemon out there. You should have electric STAB, fire move coverage, Hidden Power (preferable ice) and that's it. It doesn't have many other options unfortunately, so maybe an Electric Terrain or TWave are the way to go.

I'd say to use any other eeveelution other than Leafeon cause it depends a lot in TMs that we have no access at this point of the game. And you can't even get X-Scissor from pre E12 breeding cause Eevee can't learn it (although you can still get Dig!). Swords Dance, Leaf Blade, Iron Tail and Quick Attack/Sunny Day are imo the best set.

For the last slot I'd say to use Cofagrigus. I haven't used one myself before, but I have seen a lot playthroughs with people using it and it looks OP as hell! It is almost guaranteed to survive any non-SE hit and then use Will-o-Wisp or Curse + it can get rid of troublesome abilities that gym leaders use to boost their mons in their fields!

I'm probably not going to drop any of the five I've got, because I really want to use them. If Butterfree being sub-optimal was really a problem I would have gone for Scolipede. That thing looks badass. Thank you anyways, there are some good bug pokemon in the comments :D

I agree with those who say I'm looking for a steel type in my team, that'd be a good idea probably. The four suggestions I've got are:

Magnezone: I feel like if I get one... why would I use Manectric at all?

Kingklang: it's hideous, I really dislike it.

Lucario: I've used before + boy, do you get it late...

Skarmory: nothing negative to say, really.

So maybe I should go with Skarmory? I also had Mawile in mind. Is it good? I don't even know if you get to mega evolve it, so I don't know...

Well, you tell me! Thank you! :D

Skarmory is unavailable at moment. It will be added in future episodes.
If you want a good steel type Escavalier is probably the best one out there! I'm curently using it in a theme playthrough and is the best one out of the 4 steel types I am using!
Aggron is also a nice option with Sturdy and Metal Burst or Head Smash and Rock Head

I am heartbroken when you say Klingklang is hideous, cri A fire type on your 6th spot with Sunny Day or Drought ability may pair well with your Leafeon, given both Leafeon's abilities benefit from sun, especially Chlorophyll, Arcanine,Chandelure, Ninetales and Darmanitan are all pretty versatile fire type with great movepools for coverage, since you have flamethrower on two of your mons, sun can also boost their flamethrower

Edited by TimTim

I am heartbroken when you say Klingklang is hideous, cri A fire type on your 6th spot with Sunny Day or Drought ability may pair well with your Leafeon, given both Leafeon's abilities benefit from sun, especially Chlorophyll, Arcanine,Chandelure, Ninetales and Darmanitan are all pretty versatile fire type with great movepools for coverage, since you have flamethrower on two of your mons, sun can also boost their flamethrower

Sorry for what I said about Klinklang D: I still hate it with a passion, though...

But the fire type thing makes sense! Maybe Chalendure or Darmanitan are something to keep an eye on (I love Arcanine and Ninetales, but they are not new for me).

Skarmory is unavailable at moment. It will be added in future episodes.

If you want a good steel type Escavalier is probably the best one out there! I'm curently using it in a theme playthrough and is the best one out of the 4 steel types I am using!

Aggron is also a nice option with Sturdy and Metal Burst or Head Smash and Rock Head

Oh man, that's a bummer. Waiting is always an option, but I really don't wanna...

Aggron I've used before a lot, and Escavalier has TERRIBLE speed, which is not a big deal for Escavalier himself, but it kind of is for me...

Zoroark is an all favorite of mine and I have used it too, but unfortunately the AI in Reborn can see through the Illusion so most of the times you will find yourself get hit by SE moves :/ (but if you don't give a crap about AI Darka Pulse/Flamethrower/Extrasensory/Nasty Plot is the set you should use).

Manectric is probably the simplest pokemon out there. You should have electric STAB, fire move coverage, Hidden Power (preferable ice) and that's it. It doesn't have many other options unfortunately, so maybe an Electric Terrain or TWave are the way to go.

I'd say to use any other eeveelution other than Leafeon cause it depends a lot in TMs that we have no access at this point of the game. And you can't even get X-Scissor from pre E12 breeding cause Eevee can't learn it (although you can still get Dig!). Swords Dance, Leaf Blade, Iron Tail and Quick Attack/Sunny Day are imo the best set.

For the last slot I'd say to use Cofagrigus. I haven't used one myself before, but I have seen a lot playthroughs with people using it and it looks OP as hell! It is almost guaranteed to survive any non-SE hit and then use Will-o-Wisp or Curse + it can get rid of troublesome abilities that gym leaders use to boost their mons in their fields!

These are great sets! I'll certainly roll with Nasty Plot and Extrasensory for Zoroark and Sunny Day for Leafeon.

Cofagrigus, on the other hand... I don't really like it, I don't have a reason for it, but I don't.

For the manectric, electric terrain might be a thing to consider since removing a field is usefull and thunder wave to disrupt the enemy or if you have a good hidden power take that.

For your last pokemon try something gimmicky like a destiny bond/perish song,counter or even imposter pkmn you might never know when you need it ;) . I would suggest mismagius but I'm a bit biased in that regard.

I don't think I'll roll with Electric Terrain. I want to suffer enjoy the Field Effects, and I feel Electric Terrain is kind of a cop out.

I like the Destiny Bond/Perish Song thingy, though. I had Banette in mind at some point: Shadow Claw, Gunk Shot, Destiny Bond, Will-O-Wisp. Again, I don't know if it is possible to mega evolve this dude, and I don't really know if it's worth having... Also rolling Gunk Shot AND Destiny Bond at the same time might be impossible now that I think about it...

Mismagius is something I'll look into, though.

Also, as you see, I've learnt to quote. Yay!

It seems my best options now are fire types (Darmanitan, Chalendure), steel types (Skarmory (probably not), Mawile (?)) or ghost types (Mismagius, Banette (?))... I still don't know what to do, man! T_T

And again, thank you all! Keep sending me good ideas!

Yeah, although I still think a Magnezone is the most powerful electric type you have access to at the moment. Base 130 SpAtk is nothing to scoff at. You could roll Flash Cannon, Discharge, HP Fire and any of the useful coverage moves: Tri Attack, Charge Beam, Magnet Rise or Thunder Wave, which helps you with speed control. It also has very good bulk and a fantastic defensive typing, resisting 11 out of 18 types. It is always up to you if you like to make things harder for yourself by using weaker mons, though Reborn is challenging enough a game for you to avoid such self-imposed limitations.

Chandelure is a good option for you, I agree. You'll have to wait to evolve it from a Lampent if you want it to learn its best moves, however.

And Reborn usually requires you to have more than six Pokémon. You're not limited to choosing one out of our suggestions; you can have all.

Edited by Viridescent

Chandelure is a good option for you, I agree. You'll have to wait to evolve it from a Lampent if you want it to learn its best moves, however.

And Reborn usually requires you to have more than six Pokémon. You're not limited to choosing one out of our suggestions; you can have all.

I've decided in favour of Chandelure. Never used it, looks cool, seems powerful, is hilarious in Pokkén Tournament.

Also, I will train more than six pokemon until I get the six I want because this game is meant to be played like that. After I get the last 'mon (which I believe is Litwick) I will stick with the six I want. It's just the way I roll, personal preferences. Probably sub-optimal (I don't have anything that hits fairies hard, for instance), but I like it this way.

My team for Julia was Marshtomp, Butterfree, Trubbish, Pansear and Pumbloom Whishmur. Easy win.

So I've got my team completed! Thank you all for your suggestions, and don't be afraid to keep them coming!