How do you guys feel about insurgence?

I don't wanna to be mean or anything, but I actually agree with H.P. Doom. Even if the creator said he took inspiration from Reborn, it is still unfair to compare the two games. When I read a fan-fiction or a book, I might take inspiration to create a story myself, but I always try to keep it something of my own. Insurgence did the same and it still came out as its own game, not as a new Reborn.

Interesting graphics, and gimmicks, I especially love the delta species.

Problems, the story is boring, the characters are uninteresting, the wild encounters are too forgiving (Water starters in one of the first routes???) and I've had many many instances of being able to walk through terrain, so it's rather buggy.

Has a long way to go.

I've watched some playthroughs of Insurgence and the story looks interesting enough, even if it's not as engaging as Reborn as already stated. I like the idea of a cultist-ridden world and that kind of stuff. I also like the unique features of the game but I'm not a fan of the battle backgrounds and the one thing I really dislike is the design of like 95% of the delta pokemon. That really puts me off from playing it myself. The concept is cool but the design to me is most of the time atrocious so wellp.. I tend to not play fakemon fangames for that same reason as well

Edited by Masquerain

• 4 weeks later...

Insurgence is one of those games that I started off really liking, but my opinion of it has slightly decreased in the year or so that I've been playing it. At first, I thought the story was really good. Maybe a little slow and boring, but over all I liked it. But as time went on, I saw that it really wasn't all that it's been hyped up to be. My nitpick is mainly the characters not being all that interesting.

I'm a bit of a writer myself, so I hold things like character development and such to a really high standard, and Insurgence didn't quite meet that, I felt. Like, the characters were all main-game plot exposition. I don't recall a time where we actually learned something about their personal life, something that wasn't related to the plot, at least. The only exception that comes to mind is learning that Damian has a foster mother that's over-protective. Other than that, I can't think of anything. I'd rather learn more about the character's lives such as that rather than deal with the evil teams.

Overall, I like Insurgence, but it's not really at the top of my list of favorite fan-made games.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a love-hate relationship with Insurgence.

I absolutely love the gameplay of Insurgence. Their megas, deltas, form changes, custom moves, etc are fun to play with and I love how nice the EV training and level grinding system is. Insurgence is great competitive wise when it comes to actually training up mons. It's a very streamlined process and there are always other ways to train up pokemon without making you start over (i.e IV stones if you don't want to change your Pokemon out). Their mapping is pretty nice and I love the various unique tidbits in the map thats pretty fun (black market, pika cab, the pokemon roulette thing that can change nature, shinyness, held item, etc). Boss battles are fun too and I like how the mega pokemon usually match the character associated with them and provide a fun little challenge. The addition of different modes (not playing with delta pokemon, dark/light story mode, easy/hard mode, & different lockes and gameplay restrictions built into the game) are also pretty welcome.

Unfortunately, that's where my love for Insurgence stops. Nora and Damian I could care less for, most of the NPCs are pretty dry, routes becomes chores, and overall I find myself rushing through the game because nothing really makes me want to stay in a particular city or explore. Some of the mapping is extremely inconvenient and sometimes doesn't feature good game design (one example in particular is climbing Helios Tower but having to cut through the black market, the sewers, and then outside just to heal). The story was great and especially picked up from 2nd-3rd gym. With the new version being released (4th-6th gym) however, the story sort of fell flat. The cults aren't really convincing especially when civilians seem to be completely okay, the lack of logic in certain parts of the storyline, no real feeling of being threatened (cultists get legendaries but nothing feels dire), etc.

The one thing about Insurgence is that they are extremely talented in their coding department, adding in features of core Pokemon games easily. It shows how you can really push the envelope regarding RGSS and how people can really push their boundaries past the base Pokemon essentials kit that everyone has. I hope it will eventually inspire some creators on here (whether its Reborn, Rejuvenation, or other progressing fan games) to add in some features that may not be existent in other games

• 4 weeks later...

Sums up my love for the game. On average its just a nice pokemon fangame. I enjoy anything delta, so I scooped it up real fast.

However, THAT one boss fight was really awesome for me and put Insurgence to damn near the top of my list. Audrey is my fav cult leader in the game, especially with her boss battle theme.

"Even if you win, It's not like I'll release Lugia and leave. Why would I? Beating me won't change a thing. You walked right into a trap. You win, you get nothing, but if I win, you lose everything. Your friends, your life... and your chance at saving the region." -Audrey

Been thinking for a little bit:

-considering that Z/O had a lengthy postgame, Insurgence is probably going to have one too (at least involving that Pokemon World Tournament or whatever. At their current versions, Reborn and Insurgence are about at the same place in terms of the league (5/18 vs 2/8, plus E4). Since it's been said the story will end for Reborn a little bit after the league win, it's possible that some of the story/plot growth for Insurgence may take place during that extra postgame time.

-there's this imbalance between characters where more characterization happens to the characters not involved in the (presumed; involving the beginning events which will remain unspoiled) main plot. There's a decent amount of characterization for a certain cult leader who hasn't even had a battle yet, while all I know of another is "sister" and "revenge" (my personal two favorite leaders actually) There's still time, though. The pacing is vastly different from Reborn. Also, less updates means less time to pour over comments/errors.

-Maybe Damian and Nora could end up having life-saving character growth with the update? The setup's there. Have to admit, they need it and also backsprites too but that is my literal only problem with the coding

-The second gym battle is just a literal advertisement for the Secret Base trainer. I was spoiled on it (and probably not alone tbh) but it beats grinding on Sudowoodos and Furfrous until the crows come :lol: Also free money is great.

The only thing that's to be said is, really, wait for 1.2. Also, Mega Hydreigon. There's that.

• 4 weeks later...

Insurgence is a solid game and one of my personal favorites.

I go there for the features, like HM items (I hate HM slaves, so much), IV stones, trading, availability of Pokemon and the Deltas, everything that comes with secret bases (secret base = giant amount of variety of Pokemon customization and the tools to get there.) While I wouldn't recommend a game based on what is going to be put in, I'm more confident in Insurgence because of how full Z/O has been post first region wise. With that said, there's a lot to look forward to coming, as the last big update is planned to be the last one. (not counting bug fix patches after that) and a lot of the endgame has been screenshot to show it exists. Oh and it's pretty good on the graphics front, too. Sounds is decent, but Glitchcity is Glitchcity after all. I listen to podcasts and music from playlists when I play Pokemon games, so sound isn't a big thing for me.

If you find the difficulty a little easy, the game has a host of challenge modes where you can restrict yourself in however you desire as well, tailoring your difficulty without having to manually track it.

Additional stuff they've talked about putting in? Dexnav coming, victory road where leaving resets the road, battle frontier, legend events, if Shadow pokemon make an appearance like in Z/O)

There's enough of a story for a Pokemon game to keep it going, but story has never been my big thing in these types of games, really just being the glue to get a player from one gym to another. Heck, Reborn gets a little too edgy and 'another kidnapping? Again?' for my personal tastes at points. Insurgence is a game where the first hero came and did his thing and vanished so story wise there's a bunch of stuff that has already occurred which you hear a little about, (fun digging around in the game's books, though) but your characters usually have stuff to deal with there and now, so it's not as hugely looked at as you'd hope. That might change of the big patch ties things together, but we'll see on that front.

If you're on the fence, I'd probably just wait till the big patch 1.2 comes out and get a completed game. But don't expect it to be going into it like Reborn, the games really are different beasts entirely. I like and recommend the heck out of them both for different reasons.

Edited by danetrix

A month later.

After beating the game in 27 hours ish.

I haven't picked it up since I beat it.(2 weeks since I beat it)

It's a solid time killer, Ok Story, The cult leaders aren't very memorable (Except Audrey and that 1 fight) Our friends are ok, I can't even remember the girls name D:

It's not done yet though so it could get better, I'll play it again but good luck of getting me to spend more than the time I need to in it.

It's very good quality wise though, Very little lag, The secret bases save SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSOSOSOSOSO much time with grinding etc.

Plus you get a legendary pokemon :D 6.9/10.