Education Discussion Thread

Cool Girl

So, let's discuss about education. While I do like education and I want to believe that our education system is good, I've come to realize that every education system has flaws. However, I don't like the fact that people are ignoring it. I feel like the education system is just a competition: "Oh, look, our kids are smarter than yours, Asia, take that' I believe that is not good for our nation. I also believe that giving a lot of homework is not healthy. Kids need a social life. Not everything is about studying studying studying. Going out there is important too.

I could go on about this all day! But, I want to hear your guy's input too. So, let's gooooooo!!!!!!

Well then, it all depends on the place. My state, New York, implemented Common Core. Common Core is basically explain everything you do and it makes things harder :/ Also it depends on the teacher. Some can be good and assist their students in every way possible, and some don't know what they are doing. Also the American education system is lacking a lot of things. For example we have to pay for college. In countries like Germany, you have to pass a series of tests to get in, but college is free, unlike the system that causes massive debts here. I agree on the fact that they should give a bit less work, so students can have more time to themselves (but I don't have a social life besides here anyways, so I'd just spend it on my laptop rip). I honestly don't study and I do very well in my classes, which proves that it is pointless for some, and that they should not be near forcing us to. It is a competition, but our students don't take it seriously. We are lacking in the Science and Math categories because of this. Students do not focus on history, and history is vital. People who don't bother to learn about it can cause another genocide or something like that. English is essential, so you can write good papers later in life. That's all I have to say on education~

I think the reason we are lacking is because our students aren't motivated. I mean, how can you be motivated when you have a lot of work? I also think students aren't motivated because of the teacher-student interaction. What's the point of working so hard when the teacher doesn't give a crap?

Edited by Cool Girl

That is also true, motivation is a big part of school. Hell, it's the 4th Quarter and I honestly don't feel like doing work, but I do it anyways, so I don't fail. All my teachers are interactive with us anyways c: I feel bad for those who don't get that benefit though, it is nice when your teachers roast the class/talk about anime/talk about dank memes/listen to the music we listen. It makes the class better for me honestly~

• Developers

Our education system has Credits instead that you accumulate through the year. So it's more or less a year long exam with actual exams at the end.

One major problem I see with modern education is that it perpetuates mindlessness. I often observe this within my school. In some of my classes, everything is laid out in front of us; there is little room for interpretation or creativity. We memorize facts, use them on tests, and disregard them afterwards. Opportunities to utilize one’s unique intellect are rarely available. Additionally, resume building is another mindless act I have observed. While I have seen some of my classmates participate in clubs and activities because they are passionate about it, I have seen just as many participate simply because “it will look good on a college resume.” Participation without passion represents a person in a false manner, but it is something our current education system unfortunately rewards. By perpetuating mindlessness within our youth, the education system gradually decreases the need for individual thought. I fear that society’s mindlessness will eventually grow to the point at which nobody has the capacity to think for him/herself. Sometimes I consider fighting for education reform, but society fears change.

Edited by RaymondNotRay

The thing about Asian education, coming from a Southeast Asian here, is that Asian education much emphasizes on cramming rather than allowing students to question and examining what they have learnt in school. Parents and teachers stance towards education is mostly directed at overachievement, sure you have heard of the 'Tiger Mums' or 'Tiger Dads' as their names imply, thus the students falling behind do not get much attention, and the hierarchal system doesnt help the situation in that elite students are separated from students who perform below average and resources are distributing accordingly. Education should be about giving all students equal chance and scouting the best qualities in each students, i think this is one of the major failing in Asian education, at least for my country Malaysia that is. I will get back to you if i have thought of other problems on this issue.

P.S. We Malaysians coined a phrase 'spoon-fed' culture for our situation, meaning students will not outsource knowledge by themselves and expect to be spoon fed by teachers, this kills any curiosity to learn in student