What needs to become a Pokemon

a fly. it's so strange to me that there is no fly pokemon.

That's probably because Game Freak intentionally avoided disease-carrying insect pests as models for Pokemon. There is no actual housefly, mosquito, cockroach or flea Pokemon.

That could change, though, if GF decided to go ahead with it. Introducing Mosquitox, Roacharach, Flytse and Fleeder!

Mega Altaria is a Peacock. So we at least have that one covered. I'm rather glad that it's actually a powerful and awesome Pokémon as well, unlike poor Noctowl, which took another of my favourite birds and made a very lame Pokemon out of it.

I don't mean to sound mean, or anything, but Mega Altaria doesn't look like the type of peacock I was thinking of. I like one with more darker colors that actually resembles what a peacock looks like.

Sure, I don't dispute any of that. I was just pointing out that a Pokemon exists which definitely draws inspiration from a peacock. The long neck, white cheeks, long tail feathers and general build all speak of it being a peacock. A fluffy peacock being swallowed up by a cloud.

Of course, I see what you mean; Mega Altaria is not flashy, doesn't have the dark blu-and-gild iridescence or any eye markings at all. And it's not as if GF shrinks from making multie Pokemon drawn from a shared concept.

Here's to the new early bird Pokemon, Quailody, which evolves into Quartridge, which in turn becomes Symfowl, the Peacock/Pheasant Pokemon with bright colours and moves like Quiver Dance, Rain Dance and Psychic. It could be a Fairy or Psychic/Flying Pokemon; in my head I already have a concept to draw later!

Edited by Viridescent

I guess the Armaldo case has already been cleared up, but yeah, Sandshrew and Slash are pangolins and desert shrews with armadillo-reminiscent armor, but we don't have a genuine one. Time to remedy that!

I never thought of Altaria or mega altaria as a peacock simply because it doesn't capture what I think of when I think of a peacock :( tldr I agree with Lilleen. It's like Luxray all over again- based on a lynx but that ain't a lynx. Would like to see proper version of both. Also, did we not also have Pidove, Tranquill and Unfezant ? That's.. meant to be a pheasant I think? Idek

Give me a blue jay though. I love blue jays

Seems quite reasonable that GF doesn't model pokemon on disease-carrying insectoids I suppose.. I mean even when I think of Mosquito or roach pokemon, I feel kind of.. grossed out. B>another ladybug mon though.. Or more interesting species of insects.

Narwhal suggestion is nice, we don't have enough whales. The deep sea abyss monster creatures would also be nice to see :ph34r: And the kangaroo one too! How do we not have a kangaroo yet though, really... We got a goat at last, but we need more!

We also don't have enough sharks

Am i the only one who is not fond of seeing inanimate objects being made into pokemon (unless they are ghosts) ? I'm reading here about chili pokemon, cloud pokemon, pet rocks and stuff :ph34r: :ph34r: and I just go "wat" in my head .. But wellp, it's not like we don't have icecreams or garbage bags and whatnot (I was never fond of those anyway)

Am i the only one who is not fond of seeing inanimate objects being made into pokemon (unless they are ghosts) ? I'm reading here about chili pokemon, cloud pokemon, pet rocks and stuff :ph34r: :ph34r: and I just go "wat" in my head .. But wellp, it's not like we don't have icecreams or garbage bags and whatnot (I was never fond of those anyway)

I think Pokémon based off inanimate objects are cool, when done right, of course. While I am not the biggest fan of the different forms of Rotom (except for Mow Rotom, love me some shark teeth), other Pokémon tend to look beautiful even if they're based of an inaminate object, like Chandelure and Cofagrigus.

Chili wouldn't be be an inanimate object; it'd be as much an animate plant as Victreebel or Cherrim. And idk about all the other stuff.

We have Sharpedo and Garchomp, but I see what you mean. Although Garchomp draws from a Hammerhead, I'd like to see an actual Hammerhead shark Pokémon, make it Water/Steel, too, and shape its head like an anchor!

I'm getting lots of fakemon ideas here.

We also could use a Swordfish or Marlin Pokémon; maybe Water/Fighting with SD and Sacred Sword?

And hush! No one talk about Unfezant. That thing is not a Powerful Staraptor and is therefore trash. I guess it is a pheasant-pigeon hybrid, but yeah we need a more obvious Peacock than M-Altaria.

And if you know me, you know I have a great affinity for mechanical, inanimate, robotic or alien Pokémon. Magnezone, PZ, Metagross, Chandelur, Aegislash and stuff like that are extremely cool. But of course, you're entitled to your opinion.

Edited by Viridescent

I am looking forward to fossil mons from synapsids, mammal like reptiles, rock typing is inevitable due to fossilization, but secondary typing can be opened to discussion, i mean if Sun and Moon are based on Hawaii, the spine on Edaphosaurus etc can regulate their body temperature. Spoiler tagged since the picture is pretty large

mammal-like-reptiles.jpg

I did say unless they are ghosts.. I tend to like the ghosts.. Chandelure, Banette (It's a haunted doll so it's inanimate I guess), Aegislash are among my favorite ghosts.. But I was never a fan of robotic or mechanized things so there's that :P Nor do I like diglett, vanillish , trubbish, grimer , koffing, geodude, roggenrola etc But yeah, that's just me. We all have our preferences. Anything can be awesweet if done right.

True, Chili would be nothing different than Cherrim or so, but it best be done right. It does feel almost as odd as having..say.. carrot pokemon though.

Marlin would be quite cool, but we have so many water types, I really hope some of the neglected types get a lot of additions with the new gen

I used Unfezant only one time in all my playthroughs... Never again. Poor thing is as unfortunate as Noctowl. They oughta fix that

EDIT: That Edaphosaurus looks neat, I'd want a fossil of it

Edited by Masquerain

About fossils, how about a failed one that didn't revive fully and is Rock/Ghost? Basically an animate skeleton.

And yeah, there are many saurian options for fossil mons. I'd like a Rock/Fire Dimetrodon, as Hushie said. Better not be slow and fat, though, as that'd be a magcargo syndrome all over again. A Rock/Dark thing would be cool too, bit I don't want to remove Tyranitar's uniqueness.

Well, let's keep it vague, then. I want an organism to be a Pokemon base.

Aha, in all seriousness, how about an actual grasshopper? Kricketune doesntbcoubt, really. It's a half-assed cricket, much though we like its delelelelelwhoooooop.

We could have a bug/grass grasshopper evolve into a bug/dark locust! It could happen only if there were more bug types in the player's party (similar to pancham needing a dark type to evolve) since grasshoppers do not mutate into the plague-causing locusts unless they are overcrowded in times of drought.

We could definitely have Katyd the bug become Grumdrum the Grasshopper, which becomes Locusect the super-fast, special attacking Tinted Lens/Swarm bug/dark type with moves like Bug Buzz, Dark Pulse, Heat Wave and Hurricane?

Well, let's keep it vague, then. I want an organism to be a Pokemon base.

Aha, in all seriousness, how about an actual grasshopper? Kricketune doesntbcoubt, really. It's a half-assed cricket, much though we like its delelelelelwhoooooop.

We could have a bug/grass grasshopper evolve into a bug/dark locust! It could happen only if there were more bug types in the player's party (similar to pancham needing a dark type to evolve) since grasshoppers do not mutate into the plague-causing locusts unless they are overcrowded in times of drought.

We could definitely have Katyd the bug become Grumdrum the Grasshopper, which becomes Locusect the super-fast, special attacking Tinted Lens/Swarm bug/dark type with moves like Bug Buzz, Dark Pulse, Heat Wave and Hurricane?

Support for grasshopper pokemon. Kricketune is just that- a cricket. Ain't really a grasshopper and was not meant to be. That's another one for the "well it could be that but it really isn't" list

would also want another mantis, not enough of those

Edited by Masquerain

How about a Poison/Dark rat based on the bubonic plague?

Also @ Luxray line talk, they're based on Korechu. Korechu was originally just an April Fools jokemon someone made that GF liked the design of and decided to use themselves.

korechu.png

Is there a source backing up the claim that GF merely based a pokemon on a fakemon they liked? Seems...odd but anyway

Bubonic plague is yet another disease thing so I doubt that's happening

This moment I believe GF and Nintendo will only consider taboos pokemon that are a direct reminder to Japan's black spots in history like the destruction of the samurai regime and the atomic bombs. As such, it will be hard to create a Poison/Steel pokemon based on radiation. They are not above creating species closely related to diseases, otherwise no Poison pokemon would exist. Absol is supposed to be linked to natural disasters and its mega forme is an angel of death. If Raticate would get a mega (and mind you, I'm rooting for one) it would 99% receive the Dark subtype, hinting towards evil sewer rats that carry half my microbiology book on them.

Anyone who still doesn't agree is free to join my party. My Pikablu has caught PokeRus recently and is not feeling so well.

Reminds me of a joke I saw of a mother Nidoqueen cautiong her newly-evolved daughter Nodorina about the world outside and the possibility of contracting diseases like Pokerus, and how a female Pokemon newly entering the outside world should be careful...to ALAWAYS get infected if possible, because it doubles your EV yield! Diseases, yay!

Way to go, GF, in making a virulent affliction beneficial, and making small children playing their game think viruses are awesome.

Anyhow, I agree that GF is very sensitive about things that are black in Japanese history, so the best I can think of for a poison/steel Pokemon is an armoured scorpion or lizard or something, not a radioactive hunk of metal (though that is such a cool concept). Otherwise, however, Japan is more liberal with dark stuff (hell, the Dark type is literally called 'Evil type' in Japanese games) including death in Pokemon (Oblivion Wing and Yveltal the Destruction Pokemon are straight up called Death Wing and the Death Pokemon) which can often reference particularly heinous things. For instance, Night Slash is actually called 'Crossroad Killing' in Japanese, a reference to how certain samurai warlords would ambush unsuspecting wayfarers on a blind crossroad at night and brutally murdered them with a single Slash, merely to test the sharpness of their blades. That being a particularly dishonourable thing to do gives the move its Dark type. And I don't even need to mention all the ghost types and moves that talk of death openly enough in Japanese but are neutered in the worldwide releases.

So yeah, I agree with Nick. Plague Rats? Yes. Malaria Mosquitoes? Why not. Radioactive waste? Nope. Never.