Dark Spell

Zen

Well, I have finally made a dark monotype for singles that has a tolerable track record (i.e. exceeding 60% win rate without legendaries).

So, here it is :)

As for the threat assessment... well, weather seems to give it some mild headaches, particularly of the fire variety. No detailed threat assessment was ever made due to a perfectly ridiculous reason as detailed afterwards...

---

Weavile (M) @ Focus Sash

Trait: Pressure

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Ice Shard

- Beat Up

- Brick Break

- Taunt

---

Soldier (Sableye) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Prankster

EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef

Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)

- Night Shade

- Taunt

- Will-O-Wisp

- Recover

---

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Pressure

EVs: 252 Def / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Dark Pulse

- Calm Mind

- Sleep Talk

- Rest

---

Murkrow (M) @ Eviolite

Trait: Prankster

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Double Team

- Toxic

- FeatherDance

- Roost

---

Pterygium (Sharpedo) (F) @ Life Orb

Trait: Speed Boost

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Aqua Jet

- Crunch

- Ice Fang

- Earthquake

---

Scrafty (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Shed Skin

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef

- Drain Punch

- Crunch

- Ice Punch

- Dragon Dance

---

So, it should be quite self-explanatory... and this team attracts hax like nobody's business. No joke.

An infernape actually swept 2/3 of the team with Flamethrower once (even killing sharpedo and a full-HP murkrow), and don't get me started on Paralysis/Confusion (if those two kick in, I can NEVER move. Seriously).

So, no threat assessment, since pretty much anything that inflicts Para/Confu on me will win, or once a crit chain starts (which is pretty much always - highly suspicious, there being either zero crits or a chain of them).

Pterygium (Sharpedo) (F) @ Life Orb

Trait: Speed Boost

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd

- Aqua Jet

- Crunch

- Ice Fang

- Earthquake

You don't like the extra 4 hp evs?

Why can't you put a description for each pokemon and a sprite so that we can appreciate it more, we all do it.

Edited by Phazer

A singles team from dodrio? WHAT IS THIS

e73.gif

Have you tried any anti-hax measures?

(Guys, Dodrio isn't exactly known for making full RMTS. They're usually just random teams and strategies that he's come up with. Give him a break.)

I see 3 walls and 3 attackers. The attackers are all pretty straightforward. As for the walls, their movesets speak for themselves. Murkrow can only toxic and stall things to death.

And as for spiritomb, doesn't rest end up resetting stat changes?

I don't think Beat up is all that amazing on Weavile. It hits for surprisingly low damage, and you already have Ice Shard to outspeed faster substitute users. I'm too lazy to get a damage calc, but tbh Beat Up might not break most subs. You really need a strong Dark type move, so Night Slash just might be better.

Volcarona in the Sun really screws this team over, sure you can Toxic it with Murkrow but you'll most likely get OHKOd in the process. Really, any special Chlorophyll users are a pain to this team.

@FraRPetO: Rest puts you to sleep, which gets rid of Paralysis, Burn, and Poisoning. You'll wake up in two turns, then being fully free of status.

Edited by Aero

• Administrators

Mael mis-spoke. The intent is still there.

I think you're not using some of the Dark type's best assets. Like if you have issues with Weather, Mandibuzz is a fantastic wall, over Murkrow, and takes no damage from Sand/Hail

Hmm, time to respond to the comments :)

@ FraRPetO - I originally had Sucker Punch on my dark teams, but I decided to play around with different priority moves this time round (Ice Shard, Aqua Jet, and all the Prankster).

@ Phazer - Hmm, I'd missed those 4 EV's, so thanks for bringing them up! But as for images, I don't really see the point in them - they just make the page load slower (although I suppose if you're a more visual person than they'd appeal to you more).

@ Phazer/Aero - The movesets used here are pretty standard (as Maelstrom said, the team is basically half wall, half attacker), so I didn't see any real value in explaining them; there's nothing particularly new in this team save for the actual pokemon chosen.

@ Aero - Beat Up was not so much a Substitute breaker than it was a Sash breaker :) My old weavile ran Night Slash and that worked just as well - or better - so really, it's a matter of flavor/choice (like the Sucker Punch thing as mentioned earlier - trying to use some other movesets). And you're right about volcarona - sharpedo's pretty much the only one who can take one down if it sets up, or if sableye manages to Taunt it on time.

@ Maelstrom - I get your point on Rest nulling status problems, rest assured (sorry, couldn't resist) :P You may recall the spiritomb's moveset being Shade/Luna's old Sleep Talk set XD

@ Ame - The dark type does have some handy tools as you've said, but the issues I have with weather are about speed as opposed to actual weather damage. And that is why I picked murkrow; boosted defences helped with being outsped more than mandibuzz's amazing bulk and weather-proof function :) Sucker Punch is also good, but it tends to get out-predicted... LOL

@ Neo - Yes, it is a singles team LOL And while I do appreciate your coming to my defence, I'll admit that I'm also a little prone to leaving things unwritten/unsaid if I see them as being well-known things :P

I mean your team's kinda Taunt prone aside from Sharpedo, Even if you switch they'll get a turn to set up.

True also... But I guess it's an occupational hazard for this being a semi-stall team LOL

Perhaps another, later version may include Magic Coat if I can find a decent dark type who uses it. Or perhaps I'll run the old tyranitar/mandibuzz combination.