Worst starter(s) in Pokemon?

Pokemon Starters  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Worst Starter?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meganium is getting my vote mainly because they put a fire echidna and a water crocodile with a plant just a regular old plant I mean bulbasaur when he's venasaur looks like a toad with a flower on its back but meganium is just a green thing with a flower on its neck where did the leaf go when it was chikorita and bayleaf? WHERE!

Meganium

• Overly simplistic and bad design. Resembles neither a dinosaur nor a specific plant
  • Too shallow a movepool. It cannot function outside of specific gimmicks
  • Has to compete with other Grass types that exceed in stats, abilities, moves.

Best starters, as far as Smogon is concerned

Blaziken (Uber)

Greninja (Uber)

--------------------------------- (OU)

| 39 | Charizard-Mega-X | 5.480% | + | 49 | Charizard-Mega-Y | 3.707% | --> 9.817%

| 32 | Serperior | 6.421% |

| 44 | Venusaur-Mega | 4.550% |

--------------------------------- (UU)

| 22 | Swampert-Mega | 8.545% | + | 25 | Swampert | 8.248% | --> 16.793%

| 13 | Sceptile-Mega | 10.313% |

| 14 | Empoleon | 10.295% |

| 18 | Blastoise-Mega | 9.321% |

| 19 | Infernape | 9.251% |

| 45 | Chesnaught | 5.810% |

| 49 | Feraligatr | 5.348% |

--------------------------------- (RU)

| 18 | Delphox | 9.531% |

| 23 | Emboar | 8.695% |

| 58 | Typhlosion | 4.307% |

--------------------------------- (NU)

| 23 | Samurott | 9.357% |

| 61 | Torterra | 3.421% |

--------------------------------- (PU)

| 69 | Meganium | 2.669% |

Gen 1: 40 Points

Gen 2: 12 Points

Gen 3: 43 Points

Gen 4: 22 Points

Gen 5: 23 Points

Gen 6: 31 Points

The two far and away best are the Gen's who got Mega Evolutions. I'm fairly sure we can expect to see Gen 2 Mega's in sun and moon and raise their viability considerably.

While I hate the sheer amount of hype around Charizard, my vote has to go towards Meganium. Much like your Waifu it's trash. I just don't get the point of it, it feels like a rip off of poor Venusaur, but doesn't have the stats to back it up.

While I hate the sheer amount of hype around Charizard, my vote has to go towards Meganium. Much like your Waifu it's trash. I just don't get the point of it, it feels like a rip off of poor Venusaur, but doesn't have the stats to back it up.

Technically speaking, those two have exactly the same stats.

Sorry, I should have been clearer in which I meant Mega Venusaur. Of course, I'm pretty clueless about stats in general, so I'm going off of the general consensus about the two of them, so take everything I saw with a pinch of salt in that regard.

Totodile was the first starter Pokemon I ever had (first game was Crystal), and I've been a fan of Feraligatr ever since. Looks like it has potential for a good Mega with a couple of boosting choices and priority (though from an otherwise shallow movepool). Can't wait to see if it gets a chance in the spotlight in Sun and Moon.

My vote for worst goes to Meganium for just sort of being underwhelming all around. Shame, because Bayleef looks really cool.

While Charizard is overrated (did it really need 2 Mega Evolutions? No. It didn't), my vote goes to Serperior, and for a personal reason despite how apparently good it is competitively. Long story short, I used it (well, Servine specifically) in Clay's Gym in my Black Nuzlocke, and it died there.

Best starters, as far as Smogon is concerned
Blaziken (Uber)
Greninja (Uber)
--------------------------------- (OU)
| 39 | Charizard-Mega-X | 5.480% | + | 49 | Charizard-Mega-Y | 3.707% | --> 9.817%
| 32 | Serperior | 6.421% |
| 44 | Venusaur-Mega | 4.550% |
--------------------------------- (UU)
| 22 | Swampert-Mega | 8.545% | + | 25 | Swampert | 8.248% | --> 16.793%
| 13 | Sceptile-Mega | 10.313% |
| 14 | Empoleon | 10.295% |
| 18 | Blastoise-Mega | 9.321% |
| 19 | Infernape | 9.251% |
| 45 | Chesnaught | 5.810% |
| 49 | Feraligatr | 5.348% |
--------------------------------- (RU)
| 18 | Delphox | 9.531% |
| 23 | Emboar | 8.695% |
| 58 | Typhlosion | 4.307% |
--------------------------------- (NU)
| 23 | Samurott | 9.357% |
| 61 | Torterra | 3.421% |
--------------------------------- (PU)
| 69 | Meganium | 2.669% |
Gen 1: 40 Points
Gen 2: 12 Points
Gen 3: 43 Points
Gen 4: 22 Points
Gen 5: 23 Points
Gen 6: 31 Points
The two far and away best are the Gen's who got Mega Evolutions. I'm fairly sure we can expect to see Gen 2 Mega's in sun and moon and raise their viability considerably.

You forgot about pikachu :C

They don't, they have the same spread but not the same stats. Even regular Venu's stats are better.

Venu has 80 HP, 82 Atk, 83 Def, 100 SpAtk, 100 SpDef, and 80 Speed.

Meganuim has the same stats just with Defense and Spatk switched. However, this basically destroys it's usefulness anyway as A/ It's got a shallow Special Movepool and neither the Attack of Special Attack to really be threatening even with investment. B. it's got defensive stats as a PURE Grass type. I don't think I need to explain that one.

Basically... Meganuim is just worse then Venu... especially when Venu has a mega. Hell, Meganuim didn't even get a good Hidden ability... it's an even more situational one then Regular Venu's is. ((Leaf Guard as opposed to Chlorophyll.))

anyway, all that said, every fire type starter. I don't like any of them.

Why all the hate for Meganium? It's a dinosaur crossed with a massive epic looking flower. Think about that for a second.

Emboar on the other hand is a pig on fire. I don't give a damn if it's good in RU, it looks freakin' dumb.

If I wasn't reminded that Pikachu, maybe it would've been Meganium I would've picked. I'm not entirely sure how to judge this due to Gen 1~2 during the GBA era had terrible learn sets, except for Blastoise, Typhlosion, and maybe Charizard (Feraligator's STAB are Special, Venasaur is nothing special). Regardless, Pikachu cannot evolve in its game and only gets Electric and Normal Moves and a even shallower TM pool if I recall, so it's stuck with lower stats and notso effective moveset (unless you got surf pikachu). Atleast Meganium can use Dual Screens and Leech Seed and Toxic.

Gotta vote Meganium as the worst starter. I can see myself picking any starter at least once but not Meganium. It's move pool is pretty bad and the region it's thrown into is bad for it. Bad against the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th, and 8th gyms. Also, Koga, Lance, and a couple of Karren's pokemon will make it ineffective. It's just not a fun pokemon for me to ever pick up.

Meganium is bad and it should feel bad. It fully deserves its condemnation for being so utterly mediocre: poor typing, mediocre bulk, terrible offensive prowess and speed, lackluster movepool that fails to differentiate it from all the myriad other Grass types that do a much better job as a tank. The fact that it gets SD is just an insult.

Design wise, I find it equally unremarkable. A green sauropod with antennae and a derpy flower around its neck. There's nothing about it that can validate its choice over the other two from Johto, save for the oddity known as human sentiment. Typhlosion is decent, although its movepool is restricted and it's rather a one-trick pony, with its access to Eruption and Lava Plume being an impressive yet sole noteworthy point; Feraligatr is just awesome. Sheer Force on its best moves, good coverage options, SD, DD, priority...and as design, c'mon. It's an upright crocodile with opposable thumbs. That is terrifyingly badass.