• Milk and sugar
    • A spirit or liquor
    • Something else
  3. 3. How often do you drink some?

• Multiple times a day
    • Once per day
    • Couple days every week
    • On rarer occasions

There is a fatal flaw in this topic: coffee is not the same thing in southern Europe (where myself and Ody live), northern Europe, and America... Or should I say, the USA. In southern America, particularly in Brazil, the coffee is actually pretty good.

Where I live, coffee is a form of art, it is a ritual that marks the beat of our lives. To the point that Eduardo de Filippo, one of the greatest actors and playwriters of the past century, dedicated an entire scene in a play of his to coffee. I would link this little gem but, well, it is in dialect, not even proper italian (de Filippo was famous for writing his plays in dialect), so I doubt anyone here would understand a single word ;-;

And there comes Tomas to make me feel bad for both not being as skilled with the stovetop espresso pot as I'd wish and for not using it as often :P

*disclaimer: Mael don't read the following part. If you're disgusted at the idea of coffee, this bit is gonna be extra disgusting. Maybe physically. Ye be warned*

So I decided today to make myself some turkish coffee. Which we call greek coffee since the middle of the 50s because of political reasons. And I think it is one of the many cases that many lands of the eastern Mediterranean claim as their own :P Anyway...

It would be the third time I think I drank turkish coffee, and the first to make it. In contrast to most coffee styles listed here this thing is usually unfiltered, you just put a spoon of coffee in a very small pot, put just enough water to dilute it, then put the rest of the water (an amount that totals to an espresso cup, for single dose at least), put the pot on weak fire and take it off at the first sign of bubbles forming. Then there are three options: pour it straight in the cup to preserve the cream, or stir it to destroy it, or pour it in the cup through a filter to get rid of the solid matter that's left. I picked the first option...

...and hither came my grandma, grabbed the pot and casually started doing acrobatics while pouring the coffee in the cup, raising it up and down to make the cream stronger. What Tomas said. Sometimes, the process of making it is incredibly important.

It's the third time I drank turkish coffee and well, it's pretty much like my first time still. It doesn't have the long flavour of espresso at all, but it has a kick-in-the-face, very immediate taste. And really strong too. Earthy. It's almost like drinking mud, in a way, it's much more dense than espresso, thanks to it not being filtered during cooking it. I still haven't gotten used to it. :P

Well, in the end all that remains is the obvious, the unfiltered grounds at the bottom of the cup. My grandma enjoyed very much adding a little water to dilute them and drink it. I, well, chickened out of it :P I wasn't ready. Next time, I promise, I will try it. But Christ almighty that thing was strong to taste.

*disclaimer ends here*

Turkish coffee is so good to sober up drunk people, you should make sure to get completely wasted before drinking it. Otherwise, it might make you too sober for your own good.

Also mad props to your grandma for making and serving it the right way. Incidentally:

moka-base.jpg

People who have never used this cannot possibly know what coffee is. All those fancy coffee-making machines people use nowadays just don't measure up.

Turkish coffee is so good to sober up drunk people, you should make sure to get completely wasted before drinking it. Otherwise, it might make you too sober for your own good.

Also mad props to your grandma for making and serving it the right way. Incidentally:

moka-base.jpg

People who have never used this cannot possibly know what coffee is. All those fancy coffee-making machines people use nowadays just don't measure up.

All right, all right, you win, I'll make one with the stovetop (that's how they call it in english) later today.

Thing is, I'm just not as good with it. Care to share your (far better) knowledge of handling it and everything? :)

You need to make sure there is JUST enough powder to fill the filter, not a grain more, not a grain less.

In the small size stovetop, you don't want to fill it all the way: just put in enough water to get to the pressure safety valve (this assumes that you are making coffee for one person).

For the best effect, try rolling a small piece of paper into a cone, and putting it in the spout of the stovetop, so as to making it narrower without blocking it off completely: it will retain more of the aroma this way.

All of these recommendations are actually included in the aforementioned play by de Filippo ;)

Having worked in a coffeeshop and going into the medical field, coffee is terrible for you. I still drink it though, and nearly had a heart attack during an exam today. It's good in moderation, but like alcohol, don't drink a ton of it and rely on it.

Water and fruit works better, apples especially. Apples actually do a better job of waking you up than coffee.

Having worked in a coffeeshop and going into the medical field, coffee is terrible for you. I still drink it though, and nearly had a heart attack during an exam today. It's good in moderation, but like alcohol, don't drink a ton of it and rely on it.

Water and fruit works better, apples especially. Apples actually do a better job of waking you up than coffee.

No, it's perfectly safe. The more you drink, the more you'll need to piss, so it can't easily reach toxic levels. You'll need to take consecutive shots of condense coffee for the milder symptoms to appear, and a logical person wouldn't move on past that. Alcohol reaches critical levels much faster, although there are more people who enjoy having their livers destroyed. Moderation is always key, but we don't need to worry for problems that aren't even there.

For the record.

Caffeine is a D1 stimulant. Acts quickly, lasts quite some time. Perfect in small doses for studying

Apples include various D1 and α1β1 stimulants, however there's a catch. You need to digest those to act. So an apple is good to get your day started, just not as good as when you need to get down to studying right away.

Water, doesn't have a stimulatory effect. You can always hydrate your face and easen up your pores from the swelling caffeine does to the corner of the eyes sometimes, so there's that. Hydration helps make you awake, but only if your mind has completed its REM cycles. Otherwise, it just makes you have nice skin.

moka-base.jpg

I have one of these. It gives the coffee some nice and sweet after taste for the type of coffee I drink. I recommend.

Just for the record I checked everything under favorite coffee.

Coffee is love, life, the fuel for success. Without it we are nothing, with it, we are hyper.

COFFFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

i drink coffee the same way that I look people in the eyes, take their hand in firm grip, shake it twice, nod and say; "it's very nice to meet you".

i like meeting new people. i like coffee too, but whenever it goes down in that fashion it's always a feeling of professional necessity rather than genuine pleasure. still, if somebody offers, hells yeah, black and fresh of the grind please.

ironically, come to think about it, the shittier the coffee has been, the more pleasant memories I seem to have attached to it. the most i've ever enjoyed coffee was when someone i really liked made it like 3am, just terrible oversaturated instant lukewarm coffee from a vessel that was closer in size to a trashcan than a mug and we just had our shitty coffee and our unheated leftovers and watched adventure time.