If you had to match each Protagonist with a specific starter...

Bazaro

55 members have voted

1. 1. Vero

• Bulbasaur
    • Charmander
    • Squirtle
    • Chikorita
    • Cyndaquil
    • Totodile
    • Treecko
    • Torchic
    • Mudkip
    • Turtwig
    • Chimchar
    • Piplup
    • Snivy
    • Tepig
    • Oshawott
    • Chespin
    • Fenniken
    • Froakie
  2. 2. Alice

• Bulbasaur
    • Charmander
    • Squirtle
    • Chikorita
    • Cyndaquil
    • Totodile
    • Treecko
    • Torchic
    • Mudkip
    • Turtwig
    • Chimchar
    • Piplup
    • Snivy
    • Tepig
    • Oshawott
    • Chespin
    • Fenniken
    • Froakie
  3. 3. Kuro

• Bulbasaur
    • Charmander
    • Squirtle
    • Chikorita
    • Cyndaquil
    • Totodile
    • Treecko
    • Torchic
    • Mudkip
    • Turtwig
    • Chimchar
    • Piplup
    • Snivy
    • Tepig
    • Oshawott
    • Chespin
    • Fenniken
    • Froakie
  4. 4. Lucia

• Bulbasaur
    • Charmander
    • Squirtle
    • Chikorita
    • Cyndaquil
    • Totodile
    • Treecko
    • Torchic
    • Mudkip
    • Turtwig
    • Chimchar
    • Piplup
    • Snivy
    • Tepig
    • Oshawott
    • Chespin
    • Fenniken
    • Froakie
  5. 5. Decibel

• Bulbasaur
    • Charmander
    • Squirtle
    • Chikorita
    • Cyndaquil
    • Totodile
    • Treecko
    • Torchic
    • Mudkip
    • Turtwig
    • Chimchar
    • Piplup
    • Snivy
    • Tepig
    • Oshawott
    • Chespin
    • Fenniken
    • Froakie
  6. 6. Ari

• Bulbasaur
    • Charmander
    • Squirtle
    • Chikorita
    • Cyndaquil
    • Totodile
    • Treecko
    • Torchic
    • Mudkip
    • Turtwig
    • Chimchar
    • Piplup
    • Snivy
    • Tepig
    • Oshawott
    • Chespin
    • Fenniken
    • Froakie

Sorry the poll's so big, but it's kinda the point of this thread x_x

Keep in mind that:

• Each Protagonist should have a unique starter. Try not to give the same starter to 2 different Protagonists.
  • Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott are already canonly owned by the rival trio. Not saying avoid these options altogether but...
  • There's definitely not a scheme behind this. <_>
  • The cake is a lie.
  • You just lost the game.
  • Replies are not really necessary, response to the poll is enough.
Edited by Bazaro

• Global Mods

I've actually been thinking about this lately, because I had this cool idea for Reborn runs using teams that seem like they would fit with each protag!

Vero - Totodile

Alice - Fennekin

Kuro - Froakie

Lucia - Treecko or Oshawott? I picture her having a (literally) edgy team, so maybe one of those.

Decibel - Snivy

Ari - Torchic

Reasons

Vero looks like he's all about the hustle and his Pokemon are all about the muscle.

Alice seems like a lady's lady, so she would use elegant or pretty Pokemon.

Kuro seems like the type to prefer sneakiness and trickery.

Lucia I already mentioned.

Ari is a bit difficult for me to peg. I guess I just thought it fit her appearance?

Decibel seems like the logical type, which for some reason I associated with Snivy line maybe because of Contrary.

Vero - Charmander, because he looks similar to Zard X, and Charmander is just the typical starter for people to choose.

Alice - Fennekin, because I thought she'd prefer one of the more classy Pokemon, being Fennekin.

Kuro - Chimchar, because he just seems to me like the type of person who's fun to be around and parties or something idk

Lucia - Piplup, because I actually don't know. I just picked something at random.

Decibel - Bulbasaur, because I also don't really know. They just seem to fit one another well, imo.

Ari - Torchic, because they look similar.

...I picked a lot of fire types...

Cool thread....

Vero:

Our Caucasian male character's most striking detail to me is that amulet looking thing that seems to be shaped like a dollar sign or something. Essentially, Vero looks like a straight up "G." and an urban foot-soldier needs a companion that is just as stylistically rugged. That being said, I give you the head honcho of a gang himself.

squirtle.gif

When you think the gangs of today your mind might stray to "Bloods and Crips". Squirtle not only is a serviceable gangster in it's own right, but a very good mascot Pokemon for any blue bandannas in Reborn City.

Alice:

With the advent of ethnic variance and gender fluidity, Alice now comes off as rather "plain Jane", making her appropriate partner one that isn't going to be too flashy, but one that is formidable all the same.

piplup.gif

Piplup is a Pokemon that mirrors Alice's simplistic elegance to a tee - and Empoleon is no slouch after the growing pains of training have been hurdled.

Kuro:

Honestly, this cool cat is a Treecko user for sure. Maybe it's due to a piece of fan art I saw with the two of them in close proximity. Maybe it's just because they both give off the same slick vibes.

treecko.gif

Treecko is a partner that will always fit Kuro's aesthetic throughout the evolutionary line.

Lucia:

I get the feeling that Lucia is someone who is very capable of defending herself and is unafraid to fight for those she cares about. If there was ever a place for one of our FireFighters, Lucia's team might be the most serviceable.

chimchar.gif

I went ahead and went with the liveliest of the three options in my opinion - Chimchar. This evolutionary line appears to match resolution and spirit the best - although Torchic and Tepig are arguable. Alternatively, Chespin offers a solid case of it's own.

Ari

Ari gives off a very "hardcore" "life on the edge" feel.

froakie.gif

Froakie is a pokemon with attitude. It doesn't seem fitting at first - but it takes time for a Pokemon to develop into a best friend, and by the time Greninja is a thing, these two seem like excellent fits for each other.

Decible

Reserved, yet still noticeable. Decible is all about accents, so a pokemon that is just as accented as xe seems to be the best fit.

cyndaquil.gif

^Vero never looked Caucasian to me personally, closer to Asian or latino, though Italian fits well too especially with his name sounding vaguely Italianish. Black hair + light/fair skin is usually used for Asian human characters in anime with black hair being a common phenotype among italians/latinos so that's probably why.

Anyhoo I've went over this in my head many times and I won't lie in that it kind of affected my player choice in playthroughs. Since there's 6 trainers I'll give them multiple ones.

For Vero: as people have stated,this guy looks like he grew up in Reborn's dirty southside ghetto and has that street vibe about him. I feel his starter should sort of reflect this, being something with attitude and muscle yet still having a streetwise sense to it. Personally I'd go with Chimchar since it turns into Infernape that emphasizes a hard hitting and fast offense but it also a trickster in its own right. Squirtle is a nice pick as well since wartortle's bad attitude and Blastoise's cannons fit his street vibe well. I'd even give Tepig a shot here too, as while it's not clever looking in any sense it certainly looks the part of a brute that would be fitting. Plus its ears resembles a bandanna.

Alice comes off as the most feminine and ladylike of the PCs, also seeming more shy than the others. Chikorita would be my immediate pick for her, with fennekin coming second. Charmander could work too actually, as I like the contrast of "the maiden and her dragon." dynamic. Alice seems like she'd have a thing for fairy tales too which Charizard looks like he came straight out of.

Kuro seems rather laidback and more of a brains over brawn kind of guy, as well as a quick thinker. Froakie like many others have said seems like a great match for him, but I'd throw in Treecko as well. Turtwig seems rather chill too so I can see it fitting Kuro.

Lucia would be the Genki girl of the group; fun loving, energetic, and a bit quirky as well. I like the idea of her having Mudkip, totodile or Torchic.

Ari seems like the quiet loner of the group, but one who would favor strong pokemon with an intimidating presence. Bulbasaur, oshawott and Cyndaquil would be my picks for xyr if mainly because their evolved forms having that vibe to them while their base forms seem a bit more solitary..

Decibel to me always looked like xe came from Lapis ward or an upper class background as opposed to Vero the hoodrat, even having this bit of noble confidence about xyr. Piplup, Snivy, or Chespin would fit perfectly.

How Alola's starters would fit is up in the air since we don't know what they'd turn into. Going by base forms alone, I'd give Rowlette to Alice or Decibel, Litten to Vero or Ari, and Popplio to Lucia.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

Hmm ... let's see here.

Vero - Hmm ... perhaps Treecko. He seems like the type to have a more "badass" grass type, since grass types are often overlooked because of their numerous weaknesses.

Alice - While I do agree she'd most likely fit best with Fenniken, she could also work with a Snivy as well, but my vote goes for Fenniken.

Kuro - Mudkip. He looks like the type to use hard-hitting Pokémon like Swampert.

Lucia - Cyndaquil. Hard to explain, but Lucia is the more tom-boy-ish out of the two female Protagonists, who'd most likely use very powerful Pokémon by her side.

Ari - Bulbasaur. This was a hard one, as I can see any starter working for them, but I picked Bulbasaur, because they seems like the type to use something flower related, so Chikorita could work as well.

Decibel - Turtwig. They seem like a gentle and caring person, so it fits with Torterra, who lets smaller Pokémon live on it's little "island".

Honestly, I have a hard time picturing Vero with anything but a Charmander due to the art that someone- I think it was Will- made a while back of Vero Mega Evolving his Zard X. And that's saying something considering that I always play as Vero and have never even used Charmander in Reborn.

The vote have spoken...

Currently leading, we have:

Vero - Charmander

Alice - Chikorita

Kuro - Chimchar

Lucia - Torchic

Decibel - Treecko

Ari - Mudkip

3 Fire types, 2 Grass types, and only 1 Water type. Not a perfect 2-2-2 spread but still pretty good. I'll keep the poll open, though.

Maybe something might possibly come from this poll perhaps???

I tend to think of a personality based on a player character's appearance so I thought hard about this.

Vero-charmander: Vero looks like a street kid but is also a cut above the rest. He has street smarts and knows his stuff but all that goes out the window when he shows his aggressive side. He favours power and has a penchant for getting into fights. The fire lizard that evolves into the battle loving dragon fits.

Alice-fennekin:Alice looks like the reserved and graceful type but even then maintains a strong presence. Mystic Pokemon fit her. So delphox it is.

Kuro-treecko: the guy is as cool as a cucumber. Nothing fazes him. He needs an equally cool and collected partner. Kuro also looks like a guy who is quite good at thinking things on the fly. So treecko it is.

Lucia- totodile: Lucia looks like the typical energetic Genki girl. She also needs equally energetic partners. Totodile fits the bill and water types in general are known to be restless.

Decibel-piplup:classy, refined and confident, decibel would easily get along with piplup.

Ari-froakie:expect a rough start but these two are birds of a feather. Greninja and Ari both give the same vibes. Better not mess with them.

Edited by Sieg12

Oh, I had no idea this was here. My mistake. :L

For my picks:

Vero - Torchic, as I see him as a "No Nonsense" kind of trainer, which Blaziken also gives off.

Alice - Fennekin, for the reasons pretty much everyone else gave for her.

Kuro - Treecko, as I also find him to be a laid-back kind of guy, but will wreck house when he needs to get serious.

Lucia - Totodile. She seems like a goof ball most of the time, but I could also see her using a Fire/Fighter.

Ari - Mudkip, both of them seem to be the strong, silent type to me.

Decibel - Piplup, for the reasons that have already been said as well.

Edited by SilverJakler

Vero, Lucia, and Ari are looking pretty consistent. Nice.

Decibel seems to be caught between Piplup and Treecko, but with xyr votes so spread out, it could be almost anything still.

Alice has a stalemate at Fenniken and Chikorita, but those seem to be the only 2 in competition. I can work with this...

Kuro currently has Chimchar as his highest, but Treecko and Froakie are both climbing as well. Time will tell.

I appreciate all of the inputs, I might even make more polls "Soon."

Charmander for Vero
Fennekin for Alice
Mudkip, Froakie, Chimchar or Totodile for Kuro

Treecko or Cyndaquil for Lucia

Oshawott or Chespin for Decibel

Torchic for Ari

Edited by Masquerain