Please tell me your favorite thing about yourself

Amethyst

The worst thing... I expect my friends to be like that too. And apparently, nobody is like that -.-

I'm sorry for that. I disagree with this of course - and I am very proud of you.

"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." - Gospel of John - 15:13.

It's a mantra I hope I can claim to live by, personally.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say my ability to learn new things, as well as my curiosity, which makes me want to learn them.

I'm also a decent programmer (I won't say I'm good because I still have lots to learn), but I learn quickly and manage to do cool things with what I know.

You know at first... I didn't want to enter this thread. I saw it and I tried to thin of anything about myself that I could love and I couldn't find an answer. Not a single one. Discouraged... I refused to open this thread. I refused, because if I couldn't think of anything... if I couldn't find one thing I loved about myself, that I shouldn't look on others doing so. I wouldn't deserve this, I wouldn't deserve to know these about others and offer nothing in return. It'd be unfair of me to see what other loved about themselves for me to sit on the sidelines and say nothing. So... for two days I've refused to even open this thread. I refused to look within because I was not a person that deserved to.

Prior to this... I had just gone through a pretty heavy depressive spiral. The lowest I've ever felt in a long time. I felt disgusting... gross, unclean. I felt that my view of everyone hating me... was very true. And so... I spent a few days feeling less than human. Like a disgusting broken thing no one had time for, no one cared for. I felt like I was right in hating myself. That I was right think I was disgusting. I didn't want to feel this way. I felt so dirty... awful... unclean. I probably took at least 3 if not more showers that day... trying to 'wash" that feeling away, It didn't go away.

It stayed. It stayed and stayed and drove me absolutely crazy. I couldn't think about anything else. I was just running through my mind all day and all night. I couldn't sleep, and I couldn't focus on anything. All I could think about was doing something to get rid of this feeling this... disgust with myself. I could only think about peeling off my skin... burning myself... and other various things like that. But, I knew they wouldn't do anything in the long run. Hurting myself physically wouldn't stop my hurting emotionally and mentally. I barely managed to hold on. Barely... ever so barely. There was a lighter I found... I broke it. Smashed the top of of it so that I couldn't be tempted to use it. Cause just seeing it made that thought even worse. I wasn't going to leave it lying around when I knew I might hurt myself with it.

But, one tends to find a light at the end of a great darkness, or... even fi that light was small, the pitch black you had been in changed it. It turned a simple act into a blazing white beacon of light. One that permeated the darkness and allowed me to see. A good friend of mine messaged me that night... she's not one who messages me all that often... so it felt out of the ordinary. She had seen my statuses and posts on Reborn and... as a result was worried about me, But, as a quickly found out she was worried because she thought she might have hurt me somehow, and that it might have been her doing. This... it killed me to think of. That someone close to me could feel this way about how I was feeling and think they had done such a wrong to me. I felt so... selfish... so stupid. That I couldn't think of others how I acted effecting them. I was mad I had let this happen... and normally, it'd probably have gotten worse. But... it didn't I did feel better cause it put me in a better perspective. a better frame of mind. I knew that she cared about me. Cause you don't get upset over hurting someone you don't care about. This was the first day, right when it happened. The next, I got a lot of messages of support, one from a friend who took time out of his busy day to talk to me, ((to the point a family member got a bit mad at him.)), and many many more. Had they come the day prior... they might not have moved me so much... and I might still be in this mess... I dunno, no point in dwelling in the past it's already happened.

But, why does any of this matter? Why am I divulging this totally off the subject information? Well... I learned something from this... and something from a chat I had today. Two Lovely friends of mine... hell... angels i think almost ((even though I'm not religious in anyway.)) and I've learned that despite this, despite how low I had been those days, that I was depressed, sad, lonely... that I had moved forward in my life from before. I understood that I had still been trudging through the darkness but... I'd still been moving forward. I used to hate myself... everything about me and believe that everyone hated me cause I wasn't worth caring about... I wasn't worth anyone's time. I was worthless. But... my mind had fabricated all of this. It's still there, but I know that that way I feel is fake. I know it is artifice. I knwo it's jsut myself trying to make me miserable. The only thing I regret is letting this going on so long that I don't remember why I do this, I don't know how it started anymore. But, it's not important.

What is important, is that my favourite thing about myself, is my ability to persevere. My ability to keep moving forward despite everything. I love that no matter what, I refuse to be defeated by this stupid false hatred of myself. I refuse to be weighed down by it. I refuse to let it just keep winning. My ability to never give up despite the odds. That I will never give into my demons and let them win. That I won't lay down and die. I REFUSE! I'm stubborn. This is one thing I refuse to lose. One thing I can't afford to. I'm tired of it, I tired of letting it swarm within me, and bunch up and drag me down. I'm tired of this falsehood tearing apart my soul and breaking me further than I truly am. I'm tired of it thinking it can win. I'm tired of it telling me to convince everyone to hate me. I'm tired of it making me try to give people reasons to hate me. I'm tired of feeling this falsehood that tells me I'm not worth loving, caring about, anything. I deserve to be happy. I deserve to be loved. I deserve friends. I don't deserve this falsehood... this lie I've been telling myself. I don't deserve to suffer like I force myself to. I don't deserve it. So... I'm fighting it. I'm done with it trying to tell me who I am, and what others think of me. I'm tired of it thinking it has the right. It doesn't. I'm done entertaining it. I'm just going to keep trudging forward until I break free, keep moving even until I can't walk anymore and have to crawl. Because, I'm beating this. I'm not letting it beat me. It WILL NOT win! I don't want to win... I will win. There's no other option, no other outcome. I'll will fight til my last damn breathe to keep this Flasehood from controlling me. I'm not giving up. I will not die.

If this falsehood wants me, I only have one thing to say to it.

"You're going to have to try a little harder than THAT!"

• Global Mods

! I just thought about something else I also really like about myself.

Something I like about myself is that I like myself. I know so many people who struggle with self-esteem issues on a daily basis. Even many of the ones who like themselves now used to hate everything about themselves and always worried about not being good enough for others, and it took them years to overcome that. In my case, I didn't have to overcome that because I've always loved myself. I don't beat myself up over mistakes, because I don't expect myself to always know the best decision to make in every situation. I've never felt broken or wrong for differences between myself and others. I've also never had depression (although that can be caused by more things than just disliking/hating yourself). I've never lied and said "I'm fine" when I'm actually not because I think I'll annoy other people, because if they really cared about me they'd be willing to listen when I'm upset.

I guess I feel bad that I'm humblebragging here a little bit, but it's all in the name of self-confidence, no?

The single thing that I love most about myself is the drive to complete everything I set my mind to to the fullest.

The IB Program in school which I initially grudgingly started six years ago? Graduating full diploma next year. My 719/721 living Pokedex on ORAS (missing Hoopa/Volcanion, hmu)? Finished that after about half a year of playing through all the games I owned and looking for trading deals online. Trying to get in better shape for next years water polo season? Haven't missed a single day at the gym that I scheduled yet, and I'm finally seeing results!

I can't emphasize enough how important it is for your psychological state and relative sanity to set goals for yourself, find the necessary steps, and reaching them! Anyone who says that they can't go get in shape or they can't get an A in a class can do it if they just set their minds to it and focus on their dreams and, uh, stuff. Persevere!

• Developers

my favorite thing about myself is my love for the arts; books,art,movies, and cartoons/anime. I have a exceptionally strong affinity for macabre and medieval styles of art.I have dealt with depression for half of my life and seeing worlds , peoples and mythological concepts come together in different ways has made things easier. Strangely macabre things art and stories make me happy and I feel special knowing I can see beauty in something not many people can.

One day I really wish to take the art skills I do have and make something that takes all my loves into one project for all to see.

What a delightful and fun topic to read. We all have something to be proud of. For me, I'm very proud of being quick to learn, quick to understand, curious, and easily enthusiastic.

These traits of mine come in handy while pursuing my PhD in aerospace engineering, but that is just my main job. I can extend these qualities to other fields, where I help other PhD students with their work in biology or statistics. The ability to read something and apply it to solve the relevant problems, is just super handy.

Now I happen to be very curious and easily enthusiastic about learning new things. I took up the challenge of learning and working with electronics, because I could not bear the thought of not understanding this oh-so-important field of engineering. I built myself a Super Game Pi, a gaming console with a raspberry Pi. On this machine, I created a thread on this forum, which I will update soon. Because I built one, I am now feeling comfortable enough to built a second, much better one with innovative design features to make it sturdier, more reliable, and more widely applicable.

Now I love trying new things, so I know how to sew, engrave wood by wood charring, maintain a car, build and repair furniture, play piano and guitar, fly gliders, stuff like that. Because there is always more to learn, I will always find something to enthusiastically pursue and it is fun to live this way.

Edited by Busti

I accept this is against the rules, but I personally don't think I have anything going for me. Because honestly speaking, I cause people pain, not happiness, and I am sorry, the best thing I can think of myself is my ability to block out emotion painful, I have been hit and abused for so long now it doesn't even hurt that much anymore, I have adapted to it.. A little bit of back story on all of this pain is the fact that I was unwanted by my mother as a child and that is where it all started, it never really got better from there, she left me when I was young and then later on around the age of seven I started to become a bit of a slave for my brother and dad, being beaten and forced to do everything, this never improved or stopped looking back nearly ten years later, I have had depression for a long time and I have seen things that not many people could imagine, I have seen my best friend hanging from an overhead fan, I have seen my friends get beaten down in front of me and being helpless to stop them, I have seen my life flash before my eyes multiple times and tried to end it... My life hasn't improve, and I doubt it will, it's okay though. I have also been cutting for many years now, on a weekly basis a few times a week, nothing too much, but my wrists will never truly heal of all the scars that have been put there, that is okay again though. I accept I will probably be killing myself, I accept everything. I don't exactly have much going for me, apart from my total emotional numbness...

Edited by RainbowHugs

After thinking about it, I'd like to say that my favorite thing about myself is how I'll defend my friends when someone tries to falsely accuse them of something but I'll also take them down a peg when they get too high up on their horse. Not out of disrespect or wanting to see any kind of standing feelings with me and another person come burning down, but out of respect for the friend because I care about the ones I love.

I guess a shorter way to sum it up is my favorite thing about myself is my heart.

Oh and my hair. Fuckin' love my hair.

Edited by Shadow Roxas

• Administrators

I accept this is against the rules, but I personally don't think I have anything going for me. Because honestly speaking, I cause people pain, not happiness, and I am sorry, the best thing I can think of myself is my ability to block out emotion painful, I have been hit and abused for so long now it doesn't even hurt that much anymore, I have adapted to it.. A little bit of back story on all of this pain is the fact that I was unwanted by my mother as a child and that is where it all started, it never really got better from there, she left me when I was young and then later on around the age of seven I started to become a bit of a slave for my brother and dad, being beaten and forced to do everything, this never improved or stopped looking back nearly ten years later, I have had depression for a long time and I have seen things that not many people could imagine, I have seen my best friend hanging from an overhead fan, I have seen my friends get beaten down in front of me and being helpless to stop them, I have seen my life flash before my eyes multiple times and tried to end it... My life hasn't improve, and I doubt it will, it's okay though. I have also been cutting for many years now, on a weekly basis a few times a week, nothing too much, but my wrists will never truly heal of all the scars that have been put there, that is okay again though. I accept I will probably be killing myself, I accept everything. I don't exactly have much going for me, apart from my total emotional numbness...

If you have to start your post with a mention that it's against the rules (be it the actual rules or the ones stated in this thread), reconsider the content of the post.

My favorite things about me no longer exist. They belong to the past me.

This isn't any better.

Additonally, in regards to all the comments starting with "I don't want to sound self-centered/conceited," and the like, cut that out. A disclaimer like that doesn't magically change your overall message, and you're being asked to like yourself. It's a self-confidence thread. Take this one chance and be self-centered. Be conceited. Appreciate yourself.

-

Ultimately, all of my favorite qualities about myself stem from how, uh... not-difficult I try to make things.

Not knowing the word for that off the top of my head aside, I try to avoid conflict and unnecessary drama. I don't make things harder than they need to be. I admit it does sometimes rely on the other side, but if you're not a difficult person, I promise I won't be either.

When I DO get tired of people actively and persistently doing something I don't like or something objectively bad, even friends, I will A) distance myself from it to let everyone else go about their business, or B) say something about it. That's a bad look for you. Stop it. They're pretty wildly different courses of action but I don't think either one is bad or necessarily "difficult."

I put a huge value on honesty and if I suspect someone of being fake somehow I probably will not abandon the idea until it is concretely proven or disproven. One could argue this is something that makes me difficult instead of the opposite, but I actually think it serves as an indicator that I don't play that myself and if directly asked I will be real with someone without question. Note that I chose that wording not because I sit around hiding things until people ask about it, but because I don't go spitting the harsh truth at people unwarranted, which ties into a thing above. On the flip side, if someone criticises something I do or some part of me (reasonably!), joking or otherwise, and it's legitimate, I am more likely to just say "you right" than try and defend myself.

I consider myself an excellent listener and, even when I don't have a whole lot advice to offer, generally do my best to help people or at the very least, exist for them, if I feel like it will have any effect.

I have the fun ability to do a lot of different voices, a number of which are entertaining, probably.

And probably my favorite favorite, I have the mindset that things infallibly work themselves out eventually. If I get really fkn mad at a League game, sure, I'm mad, but I get over it easily. If some bad stuff happens, it'll blow over. If I have a headache, sleep it off. Cliche as it is, I actually do feel that time heals all wounds. The fabled sleep reset solves everything.

[8:47:50 AM] Michael McGlynn: join us
Well, now that you ask. casually posts in a thread randomly after being inactive for forever

One of my favorite things about myself is that I’m a good scientist because it's something I worked hard to be. My dad has always told me that he believed I could be good at anything I set my mind to, and I believe him because I was able to transition from a fine arts major to a STEM program successfully. There are a handful of STEM fields other than biology that I could have gone into and still have been just as good at them.

I never thought that I would find myself in a chemistry field, but one of my favorite things is that I'm good at it, even though it's not what I studied in college. I like that in the past year I’ve worked at Covance, I’ve become someone who can run multiple prep tests and as such I’ve been put into a pretty valuable position. For the 2000-ish samples that come through for ICP testing in a month, I have a 95% turnaround time. (That means 95% of the samples we get are reported back to clients on time). I can set a lot of samples during my shift and most of the results make claim and are reported on time.

My boss says my neatness and my attention to detail are what made him ask me to learn ICP-MS, which is a great compliment because ICP-MS is incredibly sensitive to contamination environments (because the sensitivity of the assay for heavy metals is so low, residual heavy metals from the environment can easily skew results so attention to detail and good aseptic technique are incredibly important.) I’m cross-trained on at least 3 different assays in inorganic chemistry. I'm pretty proud of myself for being incredibly flexible and learning these things typically faster than what's expected. My boss trusts my work so he frequently asks me to set things or do certain verification side projects, and he's put me in charge of study work. I can identify problems with a client's requests and errors in claim easily, and I am good at coming up with solutions for setting samples that are particularly difficult to digest. I like that my coworkers come to me to ask my opinion on how to set things even though they have been in the group longer than I have.

There are multiple things I like about myself. I just tend to not talk about them often. I was a talented kid even before the brain surgery. I had an photographic memory, and though I’ve had trouble with that ever since the surgery, I have a much better auditory memory. My knack for remembering long, specific sequences of numbers is kind of creepy in a way. I'm actually musically talented as well, which isn't something many people expect from a scientist.

My second favorite thing about myself is that I graduated from college in the top 7% of my school. Not summa cum laude, but magna and pretty damn close. 3.87. I was awarded 3 medals, part of 4 honors societies, the chosen biology departmental scholar, and I successfully defended an honors thesis on gene expression of plant defense pathways in the presence of ozone. I had semester honors/dean’s list every semester except one because I was at only 11 credit hours and my semester GPA didn’t count because I wasn’t full time.

My absolute favorite thing I like about myself is my better half ♥ it totally counts 'cause Inuki is a big part of me, okay? I like that I'm relatively good at helping my friends calm down when they are feeling upset, and I can easily make Inuki feel better.

If anything, it'd be my extroversion and sense of optimism. I've been able to grow a love for friendship and closeness, thanks to it. There's no part of me that feels like it can ever regret my motto in life: "I can be happy, and I can bring others closer to their one true sense of happiness, if I try hard enough". I can't think of myself stifling my sense of happiness, and I have no plans to do so.

No matter what, I'll give you a smile, and I trust you to show me yours, someday.

Well, first off, I love my sense of humor, which is like very big because most of the time if a joke is said I'm most likely gonna laugh. Even with all the bad jokes I hear, I can't help but laugh, and I'm not talking about like "it's so bad that it's funny kind of jokes", just plain bad ones. I'm filled with too much laughter xp

If a joke is like reaaally reaaalllyy messed up though, then yeah, not going to <_<

Second, I like being optimistic. I used to never be optimistic but around like 2 or 3 years ago, I started trying to alway make something good out of anything. I think it was around the time I joined the forums lol.

Third, I love how friendly I'am. Which has caused me to mostly make friends rather than enemies. I think there were only 3 or 4 people that disliked me a lot. A couple of them turned into friends later on anyway and the reasons for why they disliked me were pretty silly so it's all good. Being friendly feels really good, because talking to more people is great, and the more people you become friends with, the more joy life can be ^^

also love my love for chocolate chip cookies

If I had to pick just one trait between my determined resolve, my aptitude at teaching, or my empathetic skills, I'd probably put all of these positive traits of mine into one single concept: Love and Understanding of Humanity.

The people I share this existence with fascinate and enlighten me more than any text book or thesis ever could. As such, I've become somewhat of a tender and caring individual who loves most everyone unconditionally upon first meeting or knowing of them. I see every person as a wellspring of potential that could be brought beyond the limits of our preconceived boundaries if nurtured and honed with care and confidence. And while I understand that not everyone I meet will or should succeed at achieving what they most desire, I can't help but want to aid them in their pursuit of happiness like a benevolent mentor. I admire the greatness of humanity and want to see just how far our collective evolution will take us.

Oh, there are still things I like about me. It's just my top favorite ones no longer apply. And I do not think I could settle for lesser attributes.

Most of you are young and no idea the potential you can reach. I know what it is to reach high into that potential and, for various reasons, lose the motivation to reach further or even maintain that level. And so it is a pain of sorts that you ask me to name things about me that is my favorite. For what remains to compare it to only reminds me of what I can no longer claim.

"You do not treat me as a prince, but as a man. As if you expect more of a man than of a prince." -Prince Dutiful

Do not get me wrong. There is still much about me that is capable. But they are not my favorite attributes and I hate how I do not meet my own expectations for myself. The pride I had almost forgotten understands that there is much to be proud of yet, but it is the same pride that will not allow me to pass these off as things I can claim of myself now, nor those that I can claim as true now as favorites.

A few days ago, I managed to go out of the house by myself. This might seem like nothing to most people, but this was a difficult thing for me. I did it, however. I pushed myself, and I achieved a goal. I'm proud of how far I've come, and how far I will go. I'm not there yet, but I will be there.

I feel like I'm good at reading people and situations, usually being able to tell why someone is saying something (I'm not perfect, but human and all~).

I am very open and not judgmental of people's sexualities and their related tastes. People have been very comfortable with talking to me about this stuff and I like talking about it, and it's a good thing to talk about this kind of stuff freely, without being judged.

I make some bomb-ass sigs and am good at designs and stuff.

I'm usually quite cheery and silly, and am apparently decent at humour :o

I am pretty comfortable with my sexuality.

I apparently get along with people well.

I'm good at moderating and have (well I've been told) a good outlook on life.

Yes I realise this was supposed to be one thing, but I just wanted to make a list of my good things because I feel that's more helpful :3

Oh it's so hard to pick just one... Let's see where can we start.

Overall I love my confidence and way of looking at life. I couldn't stand having any other view of things, as looking at the world in the way I do is the best way to keep going forward. I like my body, other than a few details I think I'm a pretty handsome individual. I love what I've accomplished so far, and most of all what I will accomplish in the future. I love my world views, my ability to troll others, my choice of music, my ability to solve problems, my ability to motivate others and work as a leader, my ability to speak in public, my ability to forgive, my overwhelming kindness to help others when I can...

You know I think it's faster to say what I don't love about my self!

EDIT: Oh I remembered something else that's pretty important. I love the fact that I always see both sides of every story. I never look at the problem from one side, I always try to hear both arguments and make my judgement from there.

• Administrators

Achievements, features, skills, interests-- anything is fair game. Multiple answers are okay too.

Despite the title, it doesn't have to just be one thing.

I'm a goofy person. I love acting goofy. I always try to smile everyday and just love it when people laugh at my jokes, but when someone pushes me, I push back. I always believed smiling everyday leads to happiness in your life, so I try to smile as much as I can. Acting goofy for me is like putting on a show. I perform for people to make them laugh and bring them happiness in their life. I believe that by me being a total clown, I can try and make the world a lil bit better. It makes me feel good to make a person, who I've never seen smile before, smile or laugh at my goofiness. It just makes me happy and that's what I strive for.

I'm also a hot-headed person. So if you try to say something bad about me, I'll make sure I say something 10x worst about you. Because of this, I get into a lot of arguments with people who finds it funny to ridicule others.

Lastly, I'm a good listener. People compliment me on my skills to listen to them when they just need a person to talk to. So as they talk, I just go mute and nod my head and give eye contact to let them know I'm listening and I actually care.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the main things I do like about myself is my determination and that I don't take give up as a viable option. Even in something that is frustrating and seem to not be worth my time I will do all in my power to make sure that it gets done. I have completed very difficult tasks due to how determined I am. I have been told a few times that I am quite a stubborn person but I really don't dwell on that much which brings me to the other thing I like about myself, I am a rather carefree person. If I was called a moron, I would not care. In fact, sometimes I even call myself a moron and don't care about that and even when I do think negatively, it isn't long before I'm back to being carefree again. The only time I ever hold something against someone is genuinely bad (or dumb) people and even then I forgive them if they redeem themselves.

It has been nice sharing and has gotten me to understand myself as a person more. I hope everyone here has a good day.

One of my favorite things about myself is that I strive to make others happy, but I do what is right even if it hurts them in the moment, because even though it might hurt at the moment, I know it's a better path than the one you would have taken than the one where you did that horrible thing that you can never take back. I'm fluffy, and ticklish, and that makes me laugh :3 . I can be serious, yet joke at the same time, like a soothing kiss that guides you.

Also, I think I do well in studies. I mainly get honor rolls, which is A's and B's. I tell myself "This is the one chance I get to prove myself, so try your hardest!" Also, I get hungry a lot, so I can treat myself to a nice meal!

One thing you should know about me is that I love making friends, so I talk to pretty much everyone here, in Skype, or chat. Some of the things I ask for is for something to cheer me up when I'm sad, someone to give me a jacket when it's cold, and for someone to give me an umbrella when it's raining.