Pokemon Careers

So when we play we are always a trainer that goes out and do whatever we want. Meanwhile there are those who stay in towns and actually work for a living. Now not every job is boring. You got the scientists, the breeders, and don't forget the gym leaders. Or the evil team members if you are into that. And many more.

So what job would you want in the Pokemon world?

I would want to be a gym leader or a professor.

I have always imagined it would be amazing to be a Pokemon researcher, one who explored regions of activity and observes them from afar and leaves no traces as to not disturb their natural habitats. I imagine it would be truly interesting to learn of how Pokemon act in the wild without anything to spook them. Do they play, or do they perhaps just sleep all day? I wonder how each species would vary... A no trace ecologist would have a truly interesting job in such a world. Another job I imagined would be worth working is the local engineer. Imagine how useful a Pokemon partner who trusts and works with you closely would be? There are Pokemon capable of melting solid steel, and others who can literally magnetize it through feet of dirt. I can't begin to tell you of the advancements in efficiency that could be made working alongside a Pokemon, and how we could reduce pollution effectively working alongside them. Eventually we could reach a state where we can safely produce anything we need without harming the environment. Instead of fracking, a magnezone could easily extract many different metals, and the ground could be filled back in without much to worry about. A single Pelipper could bring mail station to station by the hundreds without even a slight issue, and yet we wouldn't be exploiting them because we would have to earn their trust and feed them all the same. Working together to help them, and they help us. Being an engineer or a technician would be absolutely astounding.

id... probably be a villain. while im not very interested in, you know, evil doing – in all reality i'd probably do about the same thing as i do now, but seeing as that has nothing to with pokémon, and im sticking to pokémon jobs for the sake of the topic – i do like science, and say what you want about the evil teams, but they're pretty frikking sweet at science, they seemingly pay well and poochyenas are cute m'kay

plus snazzy uniforms y/y

Yay for standard response :D

I'd like to be a professor or gym leader as they just seem like the coolest things by far!!!

If you were a police officer call you'd be able to do is attack kids with your pokemon at night because you assume everyone at night is evil.

Ha, I'd probably lead a corporation that aims at unlocking a Pokemon's maximum potential. We would do Pokémon eugenical research into the concept of IVs, how to eliminate weak strains, and how to ensure that better IVs and ideal natures are brought about, and to study the causes and effects of EVs from artificial sources. True, we are neither good nor bad-- we aim for a greater objective, of stronger Pokémon, both in nature and with us, and for that we are willing to go to any lengths, even if it involves ruthlessly subjecting a poor Mon to a glutinous blob over and over again to make it lay eggs, and then forcing that poor lv.1 baby to the same evils, with various infusions and items, discarding all the substandard babies and eggs like trash, with no regard for Pokémonas individual entities...all in the name of seeking perfection.

You can say that I sound like a hardcore version of Colress, or maybe like the guys who created Mewtwo. But that's what I'd be doing, helming Operation Strand.

That'd probably make me an 'evil team boss' but as we say, we're not really evil, are we? The player could join us, and we would grant them access to the daycare (which we run as a huge egg-making factory) and we could help them get perfect IVs and natures on Pokémon. Or they could oppose us, and be with the 'casuals' community of trainers who say that Pokémon are to be loved and treated as individuals, no matter how disfigured or crippled by poor genetics (imagine a nature contrary to their essence, which hurts a Pokemon's natural potential, like a Gentle Gyarados or a Lax Jolteon, I say, or a weak set of IVs that results in poor physical condition and bodily fraility) and so dislike what we do to improve genetics, despite it being for a greater good.

In either case, this would fit in well with my mien. I could use my collection of perfect, mechanical/alien/non-bionic Pokémon to support my character , like Magnezone, Porygon-Z, Metagross, Starmie, Genesect and so on.

I made a thread about this and other things, a while back. It's run its course, but if you're interested you could sheets check it out.

A gym leader. At least a traveling one like Blue so I won't get bored. By the way how do gym leaders get paid? Is there supposed to be an entrance fee or are gyms part of the tourism industry since many people just go to some regions just to compete in the league.

I'd want to be something along the lines of a famous Pokémon Researcher, or the president of a coorperation or the like Devon or something...

But if real life is any indication we'd all probably just end up as sales' clerks, or something. After all the Pokemon World is huge and there are only so many Gym Leader and or other leader positions available... Well, we can always dream.

Edited by Tartar

A world were I could make a steady income from Pokemon battling? I'd be an adventurer! go and explore the world wander from town to town no goal no destination just me my pokemon and maybe a few mates out on the open road. Make new friends some new enemies visit the coldest, hottest, wildest, civilised, driest and wettest places and maybe just maybe catch a glimpse of a legendary or two.

Edited by Narckarth

I would become a youngster and be like 'Shorts are comfy and easy to wear' LOL no, i would like a job as a Frontier Brain(i think they get paid higher than gym leaders given how fancy the frontier facilities are, on the other hands, i would run a Game Corner on the side and on leisure time, be a Contest Coordinator(anime canon one because pokemon battles are involved). Renaissance Man in Pokemon universe sort of thing.

Everything is boring in the Pokemon world. Not many professions exist, and certainly very few jobs of ambiguous moral standards.

Consider the following:

1) Torchic battles administrator

Someone who makes money from organizing chicken-fights in the pokemon world, working usually underground with breeders who train their mons to be as fierce as possible to battle and.. ok 'faint' each other. Receive income from bets.

2) 'Candy' salesman

I believe this one is self-explanatory. It's highly unlikely that all that rare candy you find in the most remote places are not manufactured somewhere. Evidently they remain there hidden, probably near a huge stash which the player does not have access to. There's more than meets the eye.

3) Meteorologist

While one would argue that the people who created Castform are somewhat associated with weather studies, they were pokemon breeders who merely observed the wind movements and tweaked their experiments to take advantage of them. I don't remember any forecasts back in the day, so either they were too lazy to do their jobs, or they weren't even mathematicians.

4) Psychologist

One would argue that with all this drama in the pokemon world, with a new villainous team appearing every 2-3 years with plans to destroy or enslave the world, people would start becoming a bit stressed and uneasy. In the 'real' world, people visit psychologists all the time, since it appears that everyone has their personal problems, and ISIS is not the cause of all. Also, Reborn has introduced a nice facade of this with the Psychologist who brainwashed pokemon into different characters. Yes, bring those professions into the game.

5) Priest

You can't have people believe in Arceus, not allow them to capture it, and not have someone spread the word of the divine many-faced stag. Apparently, cults have been a major group of antagonists in many other games, so here they would fit perfectly. If someone takes a quick glance back at the crusades, you'll even find a motive for those guys.

I'll go for team leader in an anti-government organization where we manipulate everyones mind about the government and take control of the pokemon region for the greater good. Once we take over the government, we will introduce new laws prohibiting paradise acts that limits the freedom of immigration. We will also upgrade the pokemon league difficulty.

In order for us to make our moves, we will target all Pokemon Centers and permanently close them. We will establish our bases beneath the surface and construct devices to sabotage a city's electricity. We will ambush all supplies going to and from the PokeMarts. However, we will allow people to grow and use berries just for the inconvenience. Once everyone is angry at the government, people will look up to our side and this is where we begin phase two.

Phase two will be sending in spies to infiltrate the government and kidnap the president. Once the president is on our hands, he will sign to resign out of office and give his government power to us. If all goes as planned, no one gets hurt.

Other plans include: persuading major leaders (Gym Leaders, Elite 4 and Champion) into joining our team, spreading propaganda, removing food buildings and vending machines, freezing the fools in a jail cell (temporarily), researching overpowered drugs for the team and creating tunnel escape routes.

I'll go for team leader in an anti-government organization where we manipulate everyones mind about the government and take control of the pokemon region for the greater good. Once we take over the government, we will introduce new laws prohibiting paradise acts that limits the freedom of immigration. We will also upgrade the pokemon league difficulty.

In order for us to make our moves, we will target all Pokemon Centers and permanently close them. We will establish our bases beneath the surface and construct devices to sabotage a city's electricity. We will ambush all supplies going to and from the PokeMarts. However, we will allow people to grow and use berries just for the inconvenience. Once everyone is angry at the government, people will look up to our side and this is where we begin phase two.

Phase two will be sending in spies to infiltrate the government and kidnap the president. Once the president is on our hands, he will sign to resign out of office and give his government power to us. If all goes as planned, no one gets hurt.

Other plans include: persuading major leaders (Gym Leaders, Elite 4 and Champion) into joining our team, spreading propaganda, removing food buildings and vending machines, freezing the fools in a jail cell (temporarily), researching overpowered drugs for the team and creating tunnel escape routes.

Well soon to be beaten by a teenager team leader, there is one little problem with this plan. The pkmn world doesn't seem to have a government nor a president. Also pokmen centers and markets are overrated.

Except well, electric types.

On topic however, I would most likely go for a pokemon breeder/caretaker, something akin to a zookeeper, help out rare pokemon species and get to spend time with all kinds of pokemon.