Team Showcase: Accepting Team-Building Advice

Kveykva

Sooo, I started Pokemon Reborn some time ago but had very few opportunities to play it. I'm pretty far (I think, at least) and am currently at the Psychic gym at Vanhanen Castle.

My Current Team of Beauties:

Empoleon -- Lethe Pangoro -- Banish Dugtrio -- Tomb Torkoal -- Hephaestus Solrock -- Celestia Gourgeist -- Spook (dunno what size)

empoleon.gifpangoro.gifdugtrio.giftorkoal.gifsolrock.gifgourgeist.gif

>Metal Claw >Rock Smash >Sludge Wave >Nature Power >Psychic >Seed Bomb

>Brine >Crunch >Earthquake >Strength >Rock Slide >Pain Split

>Aqua Jet >Sky Uppercut >Cut >Flamethrower >Stone Edge >Leech Seed

>Drill Peck >Body Slam >Night Slash >Inferno >Charge Beam >Phantom Force

Ability: Defiant Ability: Scrappy Ability: Arena Trap Ability: Shell Armor Ability: Levitate Ability: Pickup

Advice for changing some out and stuff? I thought about switching Solrock for Dedenne maybe, but I'm really unfamiliar with the newest sets of pokemon (Platinum was my first game)

Edited by Kveykva Storm

Since you're at the psychic gym there are lots of options available to you and I would recommend keeping more than 6 Pokemon. The benefits far outweigh the pain and considering the numerous battles you will have exp shouldn't be a hassle.

You should replace torkoal as there are much better fire types. You could get darumaka and evolve it. It is ridiculously powerful or you could wait until you get chandelure or typhlosion which isn't too long.

Pangoro isn't bad but scrafty is a much better choice. Dragon Dance and high jump kick destroys stuff.

If you are looking for additions to the team I suggest archen- a much better rock type than solrock, an eeveelution, a poison type to take care of fairies. You could get flygon or if you wait a bit more tyrantrum both of which are very good.

Next time you could try posting move sets and some more information so that people can help you more.

Next time you could try posting move sets and some more information so that people can help you more.

THIS IS A WIP

DON'T POST PLIS

(I don't know how to save a draft on this site and i'm rushed for time ^^')

:>

you can always press "edit" on your post to add more info into it tho

sorry for posting just wanted to inform you about that

I wasn't entirely finished with the original post, and I didn't want to lose all of what I had because I had to leave, but thanks for the rest of your advice!

:>

you can always press "edit" on your post to add more info into it tho

sorry for posting just wanted to inform you about that

I knew that, but I didn't see a button where I could save an unfinished draft (I'm more used to the forum post setup of Chickensmoothie)

To start, a physical Empoleon is simply undesirable. If you're inclined to head back to Reborn City, go to the Lapis Ward and pick up Water Pledge from one of the tutors secluded in a house, for shards. Check it's Hidden Power and see what it yields, as well.

I personally think this team won't fare too well overall; you'll need more Bug/Dark types to settle it, and while you have Gourgeist for Radomus' Gallade and Phantom Force as a super effective move, Gourgeist isn't going to tank attacks that well for you, particularly on the Special side. I personally like to get stuff that outspeeds him rather than using Trick Room against him, and while you have Pokemon that can do that very well (your team composition is slow, but it's only good for this particular match really) it's not a viable composition in the long run.

Hey!

Your team looks pretty decent but I think there are some useful changes that could be made.

Numel / Camerupt honestly completely outclasses Torkoal. Torkoal is extremely irrelevant in this game because it hardly has any niches. One of its niches is in yawn (imo) and Camerupt literally learns that via level up. Even though this leaves you extremely weak to water you could easily give Camerupt the rock coverage in rock slide and open up a slot for a new pokemon. It appears that you're also using Torkoal for strength, which Camerupt gets as well. This isn't even mentioning that Camerupt already gets a great movepool in Eruption, Earthquake, Yawn, Lava Plume, Earth Power and Rock Slide. Camerupt gets great niches in Amnesia and Curse which boosts its already great attack (120, 5 less than Heracross :o). Flame burst is also useful for destroying fields (can't remember if lava plume does this or not...). This also fills the spot for a ground 'mon as well, leaving you less vulnerable to water attacks and leaving not one but two spots open for new mons.

Also if you're really adamant about that physical Empoleon I would definitely get Swords Dance with a shard. Really not much to desire about Empleon's learnset (especially it's phys set) in general but it's not really my team so yeah.

Your team seems pretty bulky (barring dugtrio) so I'm going to suggest Reuniclus in place of Solrock. Again, completely outclassed in nearly every area except for maybe TR? Not really relevant though since yours doesn't have TR and your team doesn't look built around TR offense. Also not relevant because Reuniclus has a large 110 base HP stat and decent defenses. Reuniclus is getting a great movepool in Psychic, Psyshock, Recover (!), Pain Split, and possibly Future Sight. Great support in Charm and Light Screen and can boost with Acid Armor and confuse with Confuse Ray. The latter two moves will take some breeding tho.

Would definitely trade Pangoro for Scrafty just for viability as well..

Dugtrio ---> Sylveon would be a pretty good idea IMO since dugtrio is really only known for being speedy & arena trap (which is near useless in this game). Has pretty bad attack (even Cammy has better offense) and a special attacker would take its spot well since you really only have two special attackers and they're kinda lackluster.

If you want help with anything else just let me know! ^-^

Well your team seems good.you have certainly trained well.but considering that Fighting(Samson),Fire(Charlotte),Ground(Terra) and Flying(CIel) are next leaders,you may face some serious problems.

You are hopefully not thinking that Solrock's Psychic will get you through Samson.(His mons will OHKO you.)I suggest getting the Ralts before being trapped in Agate City .Gardevoir will cover for dragon and Fairies.Similarly can get a flying type,it will be useful.

With Charlotte,In the double battle Dugtrio won't help(not with 50 SAtk).You can replace it with a Rhydon later or Golem now.(Sleath rock will help you a lot in future).

And you are wasting slots teaching pangoro rock smash or dugtrio cut.Get rid of aqua jet as soon as you get surf.You can teach it Earthquake as its SAtk is high.

there are many better fire types than Torkoal, Arcanine is a beast.

And you should khow that Terra has a level 78 Garchomp.BE PREPARED!!

You have a good team

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

First off, I know Pangoro really isn't great but I wasn't sure where to get Scrafty. I tried to catch the one in the pokemon gang, but ya know, couldn't. I just thought I couldn't get one until way later, but now I know.

Concerning psychic types, I was planning to get Gardevor for the dual Fairy/Psychic typing. That would open up a slot to get another rock type, which I planned to fill with Rhyperior and replace Dugtrio.

Most of Empoleon's are physical anyway so I just stick with those, and I've never really liked Aqua jet anyway. Just waiting for Surf

As for fire types, I grabbed Torkoal because It could learn Nature Power and I didn't like how much of a weakness Camerupt has to water.

Considering all that, are those reasonable changes? Also, what other good fire types are there besides Camerupt, Archanine, or Rapidash? (everyone goes for those)

Considering all that, are those reasonable changes? Also, what other good fire types are there besides Camerupt, Archanine, or Rapidash? (everyone goes for those)

With a bit of backtracking you can pick up Houndour, Litleo, or Tepig, and get them up to Houndoom/Pyroar/Emboar, respectively. I've never used Pyroar, who is by most accounts a solid if unspectacular Pokemon. My recommendation would be Houndoom, because A) it's a reasonably fast Special attacker with a solid movepool (although you'll need the Dark Pulse TM before he can actually learn a special Dark move), including Nasty Plot to make a crazy Special sweeper, and B) Dark types are pretty strong against Psychic, and a Flash Fire Houndoom will prove VERY useful against a potentially tough Fire-type trainer later.

Or, if you got very lucky with the Mystery Egg, Larvesta is worth all the effort to get the might Volcarona. Take a fresh Volcarona and a few Heart Scales to the nearest Move Relearner and suddenly you can Quiver Dance/Bug Buzz/Fiery Dance your way to victory over everything... except Rock, of course.

Thanks for all the advice, guys.
First off, I know Pangoro really isn't great but I wasn't sure where to get Scrafty. I tried to catch the one in the pokemon gang, but ya know, couldn't. I just thought I couldn't get one until way later, but now I know.
Concerning psychic types, I was planning to get Gardevor for the dual Fairy/Psychic typing. That would open up a slot to get another rock type, which I planned to fill with Rhyperior and replace Dugtrio.
Most of Empoleon's are physical anyway so I just stick with those, and I've never really liked Aqua jet anyway. Just waiting for Surf
As for fire types, I grabbed Torkoal because It could learn Nature Power and I didn't like how much of a weakness Camerupt has to water.

Honestly if you really hate that Camerupt has that glaring water weakness you could pick up a magnezone to beat water types even though you already have gourgeist and empleon resists water. These are honestly the best fire types in the game. If you really wanted I'm pretty sure you can get Emboar and Houndoom, those are great mons as well.

As for Fire-types, there's Magmar/Magmortar, Pyroar and Chandelure as well. Reuniclus or Alakazam are good Psychic-types too, Gardevoir isn't the only viable option. Then there's Florges, should you need a Fairy-type.

Edit: considering how far you're in the game atm, you can already get or can soon obtain Reuniclus, Alakazam, Pyroar, Florges and Chadelure.

Edited by Zargerth