The Science Corner

Tempest

I think I may have found the best thread in the forums. I love science, and when I have something to contribute, I'll post it. Expect to be recieving many upvotes from me.

Edited by Strider

You can join the club and make your own discussion thread too, though there's already a lot covered under the existing three.

Anyways, I'd like to ask how on earth does Noivern work? It is said in the Dex that it fires sonic booms from its ears,, not its mouth, like bats normally should. So what, are its ears actually vocal organs as well? Or is the Dex just stupid because it's written by ten year olds?

You can join the club and make your own discussion thread too, though there's already a lot covered under the existing three.

Anyways, I'd like to ask how on earth does Noivern work? It is said in the Dex that it fires sonic booms from its ears,, not its mouth, like bats normally should. So what, are its ears actually vocal organs as well? Or is the Dex just stupid because it's written by ten year olds?

Maybe it's because the ears look like subwoofers.

Bats use SONAR as they can't see(we think it ,but it's not true,they see very very little in dark) and use echolocation as a technic to navigate.But there are some kinds of bats which actually do have big eyes to see even in nights.(and really big eyes).

Normally bats use larynx to produce the the sound and emit the waves from mouth, but "Horseshoe bats and Old World leaf-nosed bats emits their echolocation calls through nostrils "

So as it seems the makers have imagined that there must be bats which can emit the waves from there ears( tough they use ears as a organ to receive the reflected waves ).This may be a possible answer.

And the pokedex says Noivern:"The ultrasonic waves it emits from its ears can reduce a large boulder to pebbles. It swoops out of the dark to attack."It seems Noivern uses the ultrasonic waves to attack and it can't echolocate with that powerful waves which turn large boulder into pebbles.

Noibat: "They live in pitch-black caves. Their enormous ears can emit ultrasonic waves of 200,000 hertz."

So it seems that the organ which creates the vibration is located within their ears.

This may be the inspiration of Noivern or Noibat:

bat-8-vertical.jpg

Edited by Debojit97

Yeah, I know the normal mechanism, I was just wondering if they're definitely going to have vocal cords in their ears. Seems to be true.

Also the inspiration might also be the crowd control noise amplifiers, which focus sounds towards groups to dissuade rioting

On Thursday, I went to one of the colleges that I'm looking at, and I spoke to the head of the Physics department. Apparently, some new particles have been discovered. These contain four quarks, and are fittingly known as tetraquarks. Most of the particles we already know about have three quarks (proton, neutron) or two (mesons). Hopefully when this is confirmed, it will increase our understanding of the standard model.

http://www.ibtimes.com/lhc-scientists-confirm-existence-family-tetraquarks-2388858