• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, you find the full piece of art depicted in the square window on a monster card (usually not an effect monster) and you paint over the card borders, coloring, and other unnecessary stuff, leaving only the name and stats

It looks sick

There are also custom-print cards which people make and which I would eventually want to commission for QK

hey guys, just curious on the state of yugioh.
I stopped playing during the period of E.Dragon and Spellbook at the full power. You know, 3x Big dragons, 3x baby dragon vs 3x judgment and fate. I couldnt handle the power creep at all.

Recently, I kinda wanna get back in the game. How's the meta? with DuelingNetwork and YGOPRO down, what's the flatform that everyone uses to play online?

Thanks

hey guys, just curious on the state of yugioh.

I stopped playing during the period of E.Dragon and Spellbook at the full power. You know, 3x Big dragons, 3x baby dragon vs 3x judgment and fate. I couldnt handle the power creep at all.

Recently, I kinda wanna get back in the game. How's the meta? with DuelingNetwork and YGOPRO down, what's the flatform that everyone uses to play online?

Thanks

I still could use ygopro. For the meta I suppose, I can't tell you much compared to the past but you will have to learn a new mechanic : pendulum summoning. It is based on pendulum monsters: monster/spell hybrids that reside in the main deck. For the meta, consistency and speed are very important.Duels can be decided in 2-3 turns, some even end that fast. For specific meta decks you can look up abc: the successor of xyz dragon cannon decks but it does not play as an union deck though, metalfoes: a pendulum fusion deck and zodiac beasts: an xyz based deck that is now ocg only but will become relevant in the future. For ygopro play I see a lot of variety on the european servers but I think blue-eyes is the most common. I don't know about American servers.

Edited by FairFamily

I still could use ygopro. For the meta I suppose, I can't tell you much compared to the past but you will have to learn a new mechanic : pendulum summoning. It is based on pendulum monsters: monster/spell hybrids that reside in the main deck. For the meta, consistency and speed are very important.Duels can be decided in 2-3 turns, some even end that fast. For specific meta decks you can look up abc: the successor of xyz dragon cannon decks but it does not play as an union deck though, metalfoes: a pendulum fusion deck and zodiac beasts: an xyz based deck that is now ocg only but will become relevant in the future. For ygopro play I see a lot of variety on the european servers but I think blue-eyes is the most common. I don't know about American servers.

Neat, looks like blue-eyes got some supports.

You mean like an anime card? It is apparantly one option for it. Logically the cards aren't legal to use in tournaments except for token cards, so if you want to use a custom sprite, you can.

Not quite like an anime card

Above is a hand-made one, below is a computer-designed one

maxresdefault.jpgyugioh-orica-dark-magician-art-4-2eb526c

Edited by HughJ

Nah if it's computer made and printed you obviously can't run it

You could probably run it in locals if the data's straight

You'd have a better chance with a painted card (even if you paint a completely new design) than a CG card

Edited by HughJ

There are like 50 websites but all of them are kind of sus

On about half of them you do all of the work yourself if you want a specific custom card (upload your own image, arrange the card, etc.)

They basically stretch a template into a franchise

I want something original - even if the person I pay isn't painting onto a card, I want them to at least draw or design the background of the CG card (like the custom Dark Magician art in my previous post), you feel?

Maybe you could pay a skilled YGO fan artist on DA for a high-def rendition of your favorite monster and then go to an orica site, but again, you might as well just be using a template, printer, and card paper for like $20 instead of paying literally $50 for a "custom card"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, I completely missed this video but just by looking at it I can say I'm actually a little interested in making this deck though the main reason is because of the new tuning magician it looks pretty cool also I've never played pure pendulums before so it would be good practice

Wait if you never played pure pendulum, what did you play with pendulum? A deck with a pendulum engine? Because in general I find that pendulum decks with too much non-pendulum monsters, bricks too much. The only thig that came close to it was deskbots but even then I felt the nature to brick. 

Edited by FairFamily

I haven't played Yu-gi-Oh in so long... I still read the manga, though.

I liked the first generation (? Is that what you call it?) with Yugi, Anzu, Honda, etc. the most. GX was also great (Jaden, Cyrus, Alexis).

In my opinion, 5ds was the worst, comparatively, although it was marginally better than Zexal. I felt like the characters were just too childish in Zexal.

But yeah, I never really got into the card game but I did play on the DS a lot. The last one I played was Over The Nexus, which was pretty good.

I liked using an Elemental Hero Fusion Dex (Jaden had the right idea) because you can get a ton of powerful monsters out in one turn. Stardust Dragon is also good, since it negates effects that would destroy cards (which seem to be everywhere in the game but nowhere in the show? xD)

6 hours ago, Avria said:

I liked the first generation (? Is that what you call it?) with Yugi, Anzu, Honda, etc. the most. GX was also great (Jaden, Cyrus, Alexis).

In my opinion, 5ds was the worst, comparatively, although it was marginally better than Zexal. I felt like the characters were just too childish in Zexal.

I liked 5D's quite a bit actually, it was GX that didn't really do anything for me at least until the last two seasons but by the last season Jaden was no longer Jaden they kinda broke him 0-0

And I have yet to finish zexal, although I can tell you now, I hated it, it is NOT good, the protagonists incompetence is what got me really bad

6 hours ago, Avria said:

But yeah, I never really got into the card game but I did play on the DS a lot. The last one I played was Over The Nexus, which was pretty good.

I liked using an Elemental Hero Fusion Dex (Jaden had the right idea) because you can get a ton of powerful monsters out in one turn. Stardust Dragon is also good, since it negates effects that would destroy cards (which seem to be everywhere in the game but nowhere in the show? xD)

Literally me until like a year ago

Okay if you ever did decide to get into the game trust me a lot is different, it's actually kind of ridiculous compared to how it used to be. I mean it's fun and all because you get to make a bunch of plays in one turn summon a bunch of monsters, use those monsters to summon more monsters until at the end of the turn you just have a full field of 2+k beatsticks not looking at anyone in particular mermail treatoad Point is it can be fun to play but at the same time if you want to get into competitive.... it won't be fun

I prefer traditional honestly it was good making nice clean decks that weren't broken as all hell and overpowering your opponent with genuine strategy rather than using cards that literally stop your opponent from playing while your deck basically plays itself and you attack for game :|

I am pretty happy with all the older cards getting new support in fact Dark magician's looking pretty strong at the moment and that's one of my favourite cards, so to see it have a decent archetype, at least for now is nice, I just wish circle and navigation weren't secret >:|

Well from anime perspective: GX>5D>DM>ZEXAL. I'm watching arc-v now and it's looking good at the moment. The reason why I didn't put 5d's on top is because I don't think can watch an entire series about and almost nothing but synchro summoning and the main charcters flipping when a relinquished comes on the field.  GX had a variety of plays, involving fusion , ritual, level, ... . Also no amount of cards have the same personality as ojama's.  The original is not that good because the lack of consistensy. The final place is for zexal for a lot of reasons.

Well about the current format, isn't that with every format? A bunch of older decks gets pushed out the meta because the new decks do something new/more/special? In the future we will think back fondly to this era because of the powercreep that is continuing.

12 minutes ago, FairFamily said:

The reason why I didn't put 5d's on top is because I don't think can watch an entire series about and almost nothing but synchro summoning

I watch yugioh for the "plot"

No but seriously I get what you're saying but the main reason I couldn't get into GX that much, at least at the beginning is because I just don't like Jaden's character, I liked a lot of the other one's but I have a lot of problems with him. I like the original because nostalgia goggles and that one scene where Atem destroys weevil on top of the train and the soundtrack was really good. I like 5D's because the plot was engaging for me, I liked Yusei a lot, the action was good believe it or not card games on motorcycles is actually pretty cool, one of my favourite archetypes came from that series, BlackWings, and the end really got to me ;~; I do have my fair share of complaints though it wasn't perfect, same with the original. Zexal... is zexal, I couldn't even finish it I stopped at Zexal II because I felt like I'd tortured myself enough but I will... and I say this reluctantly.. pick it back up again. And ARC-V is honestly really good so far, at the beginning it felt a lot like Zexal but then once the plot started rolling it got really good, and while the story so far isn't that impressive, it is presented so well that you don't even notice, and best of all they made characters not only more relevant but more memorable by giving them their own archetypes meaning no one is irrelevant of course unless they lose in which case you probably won't see them for a while, but the main thing that hyped me about Arc-V was the third opening where it teased cameo's and the fan boy inside of me was screaming.

Also for the record I watch it subbed because they stopped caring after 5D's but even so the japanese soundtrack's are REALLY good that's the mmain thing that's kept me going this long. I could honestly talk about this for hours.

28 minutes ago, FairFamily said:

Well about the current format, isn't that with every format? A bunch of older decks gets pushed out the meta because the new decks do something new/more/special? In the future we will think back fondly to this era because of the powercreep that is continuing.

I mean you know how it is and how it used to be, the game's just not the same anymore, playing competitve just feels horrible because not only are you fighting the same bullshit all the time but it's basically whoever goes first has too huge of an advantage and the game ends in basically one or two turns even though those two turns feel like an eternity. All I'm saying is the game went, at least for me, from Using strategy to overcome your opponent by building a fun and creative deck to, the deck basically builds itself and you win if you follow the handy guide book

I strongly dissagree with that. Decks are not autobuild. Yes a big part will be decided by the archetype, but the usage of engines and techs clearly makes a deck different.  On top of that you have to read the meta and prepare accordingly. What decks will come up, how will I counter them and how will they counter me. Side deck, main deck and extra deck choices are crucial and does require a good read of the meta. 

Now turn one advantage is huge but player 2 gets card advantage. Which considering what we are willing to sacrifice for pot of desires is huge. Also some decks have poorer turn 1 plays then turn 2 plays.

For me the long turns are equally interesting: what do they play, how do I get past it, what do they have in the hand, what do I negate/destroy and what might come on the field after that? To me the game became an interactive puzzle which I have to solve. Also making reads/predictions is still important even though the game became a lot more lineair. Predicting a quaking mirror force against the chaos max might be the difference between victory and loss. After a while the plays become more easier but that is experience not some hand guide.

Edited by FairFamily

49 minutes ago, FairFamily said:

I strongly dissagree with that. Decks are not autobuild. Yes a big part will be decided by the archetype, but the usage of engines and techs clearly makes a deck different.  On top of that you have to read the meta and prepare accordingly. What decks will come up, how will I counter them and how will they counter me. Side deck, main deck and extra deck choices are crucial and does require a good read of the meta. 

Tech choices are the most creative part of deck building nowadays which is kinda my point. I'm biased when it comes to competetive because I like playing for the fun of it so keeping up with and countering the meta doesn't appeal to me but there are decks that are too weak to do well and I hate it.

54 minutes ago, FairFamily said:

Now turn one advantage is huge but player 2 gets card advantage. Which considering what we are willing to sacrifice for pot of desires is huge. Also some decks have poorer turn 1 plays then turn 2 plays.

That's if you're lucky half the time to be fair and while card advantage is important it's still hard to get over 2 treatoad, 2 bahamut shark and abysmegalo equipped with abyss scale.

58 minutes ago, FairFamily said:

For me the long turns are equally interesting: what do they play, how do I get past it, what do they have in the hand, what do I negate/destroy and what might come on the field after that? To me the game became an interactive puzzle which I have to solve. Also making reads/predictions is still important even though the game became a lot more lineair. Predicting a quaking mirror force against the chaos max might be the difference between victory and loss. After a while the plays become more easier but that is experience not some hand guide.

It's only fun if you have all the pieces but if you can't even play it's just ridiculous, which is why I hate most meta decks because they just negate everything, in chaos max's case the only time you could consider them stopping you from playing is floodgate trap hole. I'd rather be run over by a truck than be paralyzed and watch as someone tears me apart

Meh, I wouldn't call tech choices the most creative element for deckbuilding but rather the one a player can diversify in. I mean some creative madman must have thought you can use cards like photon trasher and silver and gold gadgets, to go into tsukyumi and make a turn one buster dragon. The same with goblindbergh and the tinfish for heros. The plays and synergy are just so strong and natural, it becomes mandatory but still the creative spark has to come. Also archetype combination and engines are rather similar. For lower decks countering becomes more prevalent but sometimes hard decisions have to be made.

It is hard to get over the mermail board but not impossible and I'm not sure of the consistency of mermails to get that boardstate often.

Yeah but negating is a part of interaction. Do they take your bluff or don't they? Can you force negates for weak effects? Also I think you are exagerating in the amount fo negates a deck has. Metalphoes are not even guarantueed to have a negate. Only some cyber dragon infinity variants have it. I know treatoad is popular but decks these make plays with very little cards. I mean abc has a two card buster dragon.