Help With Steelix?

Monster

Hey guys I need help beating the lv 75 Steelix in Tanzan Mountain. All of my pokemon that can even outspeed it to get a hit in without getting Oh-KO'd can only deal about 1/16th of its health before they die. Any advice? How did you guys get past Steelix?

Current Team

Lv 52 Sceptile

Lv 54 Musharna

Lv 54 Toxicroak

Lv 50 Donphan

Lv 50 Mightyena

Lv 50 Heatmor

and a boxed Lv 48 Corsola

I'm capped at Lv 55 cause of gym badges so I don't really think I should grind anymore but I am at a loss for ideas. I have 2 revives and no potions.

Will catching any of the pokemon in this godforsaken dungeon and grinding them up help me? I'm really stuck.

Edited by Monster

The best strategy you can use is 2 Sturdy EQ Graveler, after 2 EQ the ceiling will collapse defeating Steelix istantly (Idk if it works on that field but it should), otherwise you can use F.E.A.R. (Focus sash Endeavor quick Attack Rattata) wich works with every pokemon that can learn both Endeavor and a priority move

If you want to defeat it regularly i suggest a pokemon with Will-O-Wisp that can tank physical moves well, the first that comes to my mind is Cofagrigus (available at Shade's Gym as Yamask), maybe equip even it with a Focus Sash to guarantee the burn

It really shouldn't be that hard of an encounter. Though if it really causes you as many problems as you say, you may want to train up a Duskull (you can catch it in Shade's gym) and train it to level 50 or so. At level 25 it learns Will 'o' Wisp and if you burn the Steelix the battle should be really easy. Another option is chain intimidating the thing with Mightyena ie. Starting with Mightyena getting the intimidate off, switching out, and switching in lots of times to get its attack to -6, at which point the Steelix should be harmless.

Though at this point I really recommend you replace Heatmor and Mightyena, those two are simply no longer good enough at this point in the game. At this point in time there are lots of great Pokemon available to you. You can get an Eevee in Chrysoloia forest, an Archen at the Spinel Museum, a Magnemite (Magnezone is super OP) in Shade's gym, a Ralts which can turn into Gardevoir or Gallade through the corrupted Pokéball event.

If you're interested all the Pokemon locations are available over here: http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16407.

Oh and be sure to do the Mystery Egg event from the police station if you managed to save all the police officers earlier in the game. Some of the best Pokémon in the game are available through that.

Edited by Tartar

I used EQ twice with my Donphan and it didn't break the field... Where am I supposed to get a Sash for the FEAR strat? Also my Mightyena has Moxie so thats out of the question. Gonna try burning it with a Duskull that I have boxed, thanks.

Edited by Monster

A sash is obtainable under the Grand Staircase, idk if this is the correct location but do you recall the part when you jump down the puddles? if you stay to the right and keep going down you'll see an opening. Inside that opening there's a rock that'll give you a Focus Sash

I used EQ twice with my Donphan and it didn't break the field... Where am I supposed to get a Sash for the FEAR strat?

A sash is only available two places in the game so far:

capture012_zpsc3udqtjx.pngcapture025_zpsz6qkpawt.png

And since it's a one time use item you will only ever be able to use the strategy twice. If you really want to go this route, go to Opal Ward and catch a Ratatta and train it to level 34 where it learns endeavor. And then use it to defeat the Steelix. Though beware that if you're having trouble defeating the Steelix at the moment you will NOT be able to pass the upcoming gyms and other Mega Bosses. So I really recommend you reevaluate your team and go train for a bit (there are trainers you can rebattle in the Main Hall in Reborn City!), and acquire a few new Pokemon to bolster your team.

If you are fighting Steelix in the Rocky field,which i'm certain you do,then Earthquake is useless.When using earthquake the field adds bonus Rock damage,which pretty much doesn't help at all.You could use a Scrafty with Intimidate and use High Jump Kick till it dies.If you can teach Donphan Bulldoze (or Graveller/Golem) do it,since it' not affected by the field plus you lower Steelix's speed.

I may not remember correctly, but are you truly stuck in that dungeon? I thought there was an exit somewhere on the left-ish side of the dungeon, in the last tunnel Steelix makes. That way you could get some much-needed items. Of course, you could actually be stuck, which in that case, too bad you saved in a location you can't escape from.

That Duskull could use Curse on Steelix if it knows it. Then it's just a matter of surviving long enough for it to finish Steelix off (luckily, Duskull itself doesn't have to survive as long as Curse lands). Otherwise, the way I usually get past it is throwing my hard-hitters like Donphan and Blaziken at it and hope things go well.

And I don't think that Heatmor is a bad Pokemon, but I do agree it's probably time to retire that Mightyena. Granted, Steelix is a brick wall, but Mightyena will be outclassed soon enough.

Edited by Timber Dragon

A few Pokemon that helped me against Steelix were Arcanine, Medicham and Poliwrath. Steelix can't OHKO Poliwrath, while Arcanine and Medicham are guaranteed at least 1 hit before going down. Poliwag can be caught at Tanzan Cove in the morning, and then once it evolves into Poliwhirl, evolve it at level 43 when it gets Wake-Up Slap with a Water Stone. It can also get Swift Swim as a Hidden Ability, so if you have a Rain Dance summoner, you could sweep with it. Growlithe can be obtained in Jasper Ward after finding all the cops in both Jasper and Beryl Wards, and Meditite can be obtained at Apophyll Academy.

If you have an Escape Rope, I'd recommend using it to get and train them. If not and you can't leave, you may need to revert to an older save.

The first time I played through the game I got stuck there because none of my special attackers could hit Steelix super effectively. I am pretty sure you can't leave now, so if really the only pokémon that you have boxed is that Corsola, I'd say the best thing you can do is catch at least two Diglett/Dugtrio (provided that you have Pokéballs) and level them up until they learn Earth Power, preferably even higher. They will outspeed the Steelix pretty easily and dent it enough so your remaining 4 main team members can hopefully finish it off. If not, repeat the process with more Dugtrio. I don't know if Heatmor can outspeed at lvl 55, but if it can, well, that's one less Dugtrio you have to train up.

Murkrow beats every boss in the game with Prankster/Perish Song.

Also, Heat Wave on a good fire-type like Arcanine hits it pretty hard as well.

Same with high-power special water attacks.