THE G.O.A.T. - The Greatest Rappers of All Time

Neo

GOAT (n) -

Acronym standing for Greatest Of All Time. Typically used in Basketball, Hip-Hop, R&B, Soul and Jazz. (Black art forms)

Hip-Hop is by its very nature a competitive art form. Those familiar with the genre may know that early in the genre much of the subject matter was dominated by braggadocio and the ubiquitous "wack MC". Every rapper, whether they want to or not, is thrown into a ring to compete as the greatest. GOATs are easily recognizable and set themselves apart from the competition. Some GOATs from other genres you may recognize are

Michael Jackson (Greatest Pop artist of all time. Holder of Greatest Album of All Time with Thriller)

John Coltrane (Greatest Jazz Artist of All Time)

(Miles Davis has the GOAT Jazz album with Kind of Blue)

Marry J Blige (Greatest R&B artist of All Time)

Marvin Gaye (Greatest Soul Artist of All Time. Arguably the GOAT in all aspects.)

Michael Jordan (Basketball GOAT)

I could go on an on about where these legends fall in their respective genres, but we're here to talk Hip-Hop. (Unless you got beef with Michael/Thriller you can square the fuck up)

I'm gonna go over a list of rappers commonly mentioned as GOATs, give reasons why, and then give my top 10.

We'll go chronologically for the sake of organizing shit:

LL Cool J

7fd85275af32a1c10e4af036aabef756.jpg

Hip-Hop's original lady's man. LL is actually responsible for the term GOAT, believe it or not. He's more often than not at the very least put as an Honorable Mention on most GOAT lists simply because of his impact. He was one of Hip-Hop's first big superstars along with Run of Run D.M.C. Without LL's success it's kinda hard to tell where Hip-Hop would be, which is why he deserves a mention. He helped solidify the genre commercially.

KRS-One

KRS-One.jpg

KRS-One is a pillar. He's a beast that's been around since the genre's inception and hasn't stopped. I really wish I could get away with doing a thread for each one of these guys, because he really does deserve his own thread. Criminally Minded WILL be showing up in the other Hip-Hop thread. KRS really got his start after MC Shan decided to rep Queens and its role in the creation of Hip-Hop. Queens, especially Queensbridge, while important to Hip-Hop, are not the birthplace of Hip-Hop. That title goes to the Bronx, and as a Bronx Native KRS took offense to this and decided to retaliate with his own track. KRS won the beef after a brief exchange, and the rest is history.

Rakim

eric_b_rakim.jpg

Rakim Allah. God MC. One of the most influential MCs in Hip-Hop history. Rakim was among, if not, the first to write down his raps. He changed the way Hip-Hop is performed lyrically. Hip-Hop is often divided into two periods Pre-Rakim and Post-Rakim. Every MC, lyrically dense or otherwise owes some form of influence to Rakim. There are a few rappers who have the designation "Your favorite rapper's favorite rapper", and Rakim is definitely one of them. Paid in Full by him and his DJ Eric B is an amazing album that I cannot wait to share with y'all.

Big Daddy Kane

1320681142_1142_bdk1.jpg

Pimpin' ain't easy, but Big Daddy Kane sure made it seem like it was. Big Daddy Kane along with Rakim definitely helped change the way lyrics were talked in the game. This guy here is one of those rappers that when his name enters the discussion, you've gotta sit down and rethink everything you were talking about previously. The rapper that I myself consider to be the GOAT calls BDK one of his favorites, and let me tell you, most of the old guard and guys on this list probably think the same.

Kool G Rap

p12402t0qi3.jpg

"Hearin' me is like hearin' G Rap in his prime" - Jay-Z

If this ain't a testament to G Rap's skills, I really don't know what is. A man able to rap like Jay's level almost a full decade before he did is one that deserves a mention in any GOAT discussion. Kool G Rap pioneered Mafioso rap. Dude's like Nas, Big, and Jay, all of whom find themselves on this list, all owe their existence to this man right here. Kool G Rap much like the two men above him also aided in the pioneering of multisyllabic rapping (granted Rakim is really the one who deserves the most credit).

Ice Cube

icecube_1990s.jpg

Stop thinking about "Are We There Yet?" and its sequels. Clear your mind of his acting career. Seriously. Ice Cube definitely worked and earned his spot on this list for being one of the best gangster rappers ever. His work with N.W.A. was legendary, and his solo work can go toe to toe with most albums in the genre. AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted is an amazing album, and Death Certificate often times find itself on many "greatest albums" lists in the top 10. Crazy to think that the man now known for family movies used to be one of Hip-Hop's hardest gangsters.

Scarface

scarface.jpeg

BEST SOUTHERN RAPPER EVER. FUCKING FIGHT ME. Scarface's worth with the Geto Boys, most notably We Can't Be Stopped is L E G E N D A R Y.

His solo work can go up damn near every rapper in the game and come out on top. Mr. Scarface, The Diary, and the Fix are all albums that any head wanting to get acquainted with Southern Hip-Hop must absolutely listen to. Face put Houston on the map as far as Hip-Hop is concerned.

"He is what Face is to Houston" - Jay Z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIS3KouPdgM

Nas

9892_nas-507x400.jpg

Nasty Nas. Escobar. The artist behind the greatest album in the entire genre: Illmatic. That alone should put him in the contention for the title of GOAT. Illmatic is the second-most influential album in the genre behind Paid in Full. If you were an MC before Illmatic dropped. You came out of that record knowing you had to step it up. The game wasn't the same anymore, and every rapper out there knew it. Nas has other classics under his belt, but he is mostly like a Citizen Kane figure in Hip-Hop. Debuted with arguably the greatest in his medium and was never able to touch it. Nas does, however also have the best diss record in the genre with Ether.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKjj4hk0pV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aznJJir__oE

The Notorious B.I.G.

coogiebiggie.jpg

Big Poppa. The GOAT flow in Hip-Hop. Beautiful. No one can, and maybe ever will, glide over a beat like Biggie. Though he was taken from us too soon, his two albums Ready To Die and Life After Death are both landmarks in the genre. There really is little I can say about Big that hasn't been said.

Rest in Peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R677vZLimPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMbELEUfmIA

Ghostface Killah

479466902_59e9fac321.jpg

Best Wu-tang clan member in my mind, without a doubt. Maybe not at their debut (It was clearly Method Man), but other the years Walley Champ has proven that he's on top. Ghostface Killah, Pretty Toney, Sun God, Ghostdini, Iron Man, Tony Stark. Ghost, much like his Wu brethern goes by many names, but the quality remains the same. Ghost has hands in 3 of Hip-Hop's top 10 albums with Enter the 36 Chambers, Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx, and Supreme Clientele. If that doesn't put him in the running, the the rest of his discography does. He STILL releases music about every year or so, and it's never anything short of great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaIAeO2IiZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmSebP_e1TU

Tupac

220px-Tupac_Amaru_Shakur2.jpg

Another legend taken before his time. Tupac, while not the most technically skilled rapper managed to make you feel with every single track. 7day Theory, Don Killuminati, and All Eyez On Me are all MUST listens for any Hip-Hop head. Pac's work ethic was so great during his life that his family still has material to release posthumous albums (don't listen to them.). Tupac's lineage comes from great Black Panther members, and let me tell you, had he lived he would've done their legacy justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wBTdfAkqGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb1ZvUDvLDY

Jay-Z

allstar.jpg

The rapper, who in my mind IS the GOAT. Jay's got classics on top of classics, he influenced an entire generation of rappers, and his numbers are unreal with 13 consecutive #1 albums. Jay-Z will let you know that he's the best to ever do it time and time again. If you can think about a current rapper out there making music right now, they fall into two categories. They either want to be in Jay-Z's position, or the ARE Jay-Z. There's a reason why after he "retired" rappers came out swinging to "claim Hov's position" as greatest rapper alive/of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuaGcm8yqzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2DafHjZDtg

Honorable Mentions:

RZA, the genius behind the Wu-tang clan.

AZ one of the few pure lyricists that stays actually making good music

GZA, the genius. Go listen to Liquid Swords.

Eminem. Excellent in his prime. Sadly, hasn't made a good album in a over decade.

Andre 3000 a god MC. Unfortunately doesn't have to solo discography to back it up.

Black Thought hasn't dropped a bad verse ever. Unfortunately he has no solo discography.

Big L died much too soon, but no doubt amazing and arguably would've claimed the thrown had he lived.

Big Pun much like L definitely would've been grabbing at the grown had they not died.

Thanks for stickin' around and reading about some of Hip-Hop's Titans. There are many legends in Hip-Hop, but only few can touch the status of GOAT. I'll probably add a few guys thar at least deserve a mention when I'm less tired. Those with a decent familiarity, I'd love to hear your Top5/10s.

I generally am very weird with my list. Not in order.

Dr. Dre

Some could question him as the most influential figure of Gangster Rap and Hip Hop in the 1990s to recent times. Influencing figures and groups such as G-Unit, Eminem, The Game, Kendrick Lamar, and Snoop Dogg. Some could cope him out as a sell out for his success, his Beats product production, and for coasting off the success of his colleagues. There is no question however, his importance as a main figure head of the West Coast movement. Even before, being one of the originators of Gangster Rap in N.W.A. His legacy speaks volumes for himself and without a doubt he is one of the most success rapper and businessman to walk the earth.

Beastie Boys

"White Boys can't rap."

No. But this group does. This group stood out to me growing up as bringing more funk, rock, and angsty white boy antics into Hip Hop. While this entry seems like a joke, there are many people that owe a little bit of success to this group. Rick Rubin in production? Yessir. Successful international tours? Yup. Platinum Records in Licensed to Ill, Ill Communication, and Hello Nasty? Uh huh. Without a doubt, one of the most influential groups coming out of the 80's and one of the real pioneers of Rap Rock.

Prince Markie

WAIT! Before you start that comment, listen to logic. Prince Markie is the big buffoon of Hip Hop. His flow is crap, his rhymes are so-so, and he realistically isn't the person when you think about hip-hop. But because of this almost, intentional style he puts on himself he is the face of the more comedic and entertainable sides of Hip Hop. You could put Wax or DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince here, but each artists isn't nearly as memorable and laughable as the Prince himself. The one and only true clown of Hip Hop and in a way, being known for that is being the GOAT of something.

A Tribe Called Quest

Jazz Rap. Frequent collaborations with De La Soul. The Lower End Theory. I don't need to say anymore.

MF Doom

The underground villain of hip hop. His accolades as a more artistic figure of hip hop generally splits fans down the middle of what they really think about him. Well lucky, in collaborative artists such as Madlib, Ghostface Killah, and Danger Mouse seems somebody is listening. With his frequent chances of changing his style of rapping in nearly each album he does, you have to respect that. Underground just wouldn't be if folks like MF Doom weren't around and anybody around that scene owes a little bit to this man. You'll never find finer production and uniqueness than him right there.

Honorable Mentions:

Kanye - I am not qualified to talk about him in this light, but he most definitely deserves the title of GOAT

Common - Same as above.

Snoop - Back as Doggy Dogg, he was a legend. Now he is just an old crip doing hot pocket commercials.

Andre3000 - I am almost tempted to put him here due to his solo collaborations and his tenture in Outkast. His lack of presence in solo albums upsets me though.

@Jelly and Jeri

where them lists tho

The list I put up ain't mine, and it sure as shit isn't complete.

Dre is a GOAT producer, but he doesn't and hasn't ever written his raps which takes him outta the running for me

While I think the Beastie Boys are definitely legends and pioneers as far as sampling goes, I don't think they as a group would make many GOAT lists. Simply because there are groups that do it much better. None of the MCs within the group could go toe-to-toe with other GOAT MCs either.

Markie fills a niche, but not one so well that they'd step over other rappers to go up on any GOAT list of mine.

I told my friend this, Tribe is one of, if not the best, (Outkast and UGK would like a word) group in Hip-Hop, and they deserve props for helping pioneer Jazz rap, but that's kinda where it ends. Low End Theory is one of my fave albums too. Q-Tip is definitely a GOAT producer tho.

DOOM is the GOAT as far as Underground Rap is concerned, but he's been so damn lazy since '04.

The dudes in my honorable mention are really there so I can remember to make write ups for them too, since they often find themselves on GOAT lists.

hmmm i guess i can make a quick top 5 with very little explaination as i just woke up for some midnight milk n cookies.

5. mf doom - i love the way he'll say a joke and make the punchline in the same bar it's astounding.

4. chance - ive been way on chance since 10 day and he hasnt stopped impressing me since. i feel like his stuff is v "new aged" rap and heavily gospel influenced which makes it sound kinda "homey" if you catch my drift

3. jay-z - ive said what i thought about jay in the other thread. i feel like he paved the way for a lot of these new artists to be more expressive and creative on beats.

2. nas - the only reason nas isnt #1 on my list is because he really never quite lived up to anything post-illmatic. it was probably the highest watermark ever set for anyone and i dont think anyone will come close to illmatic.

1. kendrick - i really really like kendrick. honestly when i listen to his stuff i get a bit nostalgic because it sounds a lot like what my dad listened to when i was growing up. i really love the imagery in all his songs and a lot of it connects with how i grew up. poor and scared and in the hood. luckily it wasnt a particularly bad neighborhood like compton but still. money trees is my absolute favorite rap song.