.rar Files

I think you should install something called WinRar or Unarchiver will work too. And yeah, install the programs you want through it.

Don't use winrar, it's a garbage application.

If anything at the least, use 7zip for better packing compressions and unpacking speeds.

Edited by Jiggle

Don't use winrar, it's a garbage application.

If anything at the least, use 7zip for better packing compressions and unpacking speeds.

I disagree. I always use Winrar for anything .rar file or zipped/compressed wise and it works like a dream for me.

I highly recommend it to whoever needs a decrypting rar or zip file. :)

You get the trial, it ends and you ignore what winrar is trying to say and it still works forever afterwards lol.

• Veterans

bandizip is free and has no bullshit surrounding it, only the occasional update message but that's it. no trial either so it's probably your best pick.

I disagree. I always use Winrar for anything .rar file or zipped/compressed wise and it works like a dream for me.

I highly recommend it to whoever needs a decrypting rar or zip file. :)

You get the trial, it ends and you ignore what winrar is trying to say and it still works forever afterwards lol.

I believe you are confusing function with quality. Just because it works, doesn't mean that it's good.

It'll get the job done, for sure. But it won't get the job done well. For example, files compressed by winrar are often times larger than 7zip. It also takes longer to pack and unpack .rar files through winrar than it does for 7zip. I mean, when you unpack .rar files, they'll be the same size for both programs and if you have the time, you could wait for winrar. So in the end, it doesn't even matter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advertising for 7zip in the slightest. It's just that I haven't used other products, so I can't comment on those. However, I have used both 7zip and winrar. There is a noticeable difference between the two, i.e. something working at 1x efficiency and something working at 1.5x efficiency. For all intents and purpose, winrar will get the job done at the bare minimum. Use it if it is your desire. Just know that winrar will work, but 7zip will get the job done better.

Edited by Jiggle