Konami Rant

Cool Girl

So, this is how it's going to start. The only kind of games I play are Pokémon and I wanted to try out other kind of games to open up my mind. Then, I heard about the Metal Gear Series. So, I thought of trying it out. Then, my friends tell me stories about the creation behind Metal Gear and how it was created by Hideo Kojima. Then, I hear that he leaves and I start wondering why. So, I look it up and oh my gosh! Konami treated him like crap! So, here's what I know about this. This started when Kojima was working on what he said was going to be the last Metal Gear game in the series: Phantom Pain. So, Kojima was in his production studio working on Phantom Pain when out of nowhere, Konami shows up and pretty much says "We're taking over. You can leave" like seriously, you can't just barge in and say you can leave! Konami caused his studio to go out of business because of this! Then, comes PT. For those of you who don't know, PT is a teaser to a game Kojima was working on called Silent Hills. Not only was Kojima working on it, but Guillermo Del Toro was going to direct it and it was going to star Norman Reeds, the star of The Walking Dead was going to be the star in the game! So, it was going to be a great game! Then, out of nowhere, Konami decided to pull the plug on it for absolutely no reason! This caused Guillermo Del Toro to almost quit the gaming industry and Norman Reeds now hates Konami because of it. But, the worst insult from Konami, was at the Game Awards when Kojima was suppose to be there to accept his awards for Phantom Pain, but Konami had their lawyers threaten him and told him not to show up and someone else accepted the award for him! Like.....seriously?! Now granted, if he said he couldn't show up 'cause he was sick or really busy, I would understand, but they threatened him! Kojima didn't do anything about it, but I think he should've filed a lawsuit against them 'cause it's against the law to threaten someone and you just don't do that! Now granted, he was still under contract with Konami, but he still should've done it! Here's the proof if you guys want to see it:

That being said, let's talk about Konami in general. I just don't understand what goes through their minds. They used to be really great and now, they're just bad. They said they were going to stop making games and start making more mobile games 'cause they're more popular, which in my opinion is complete bs 'cause I believe both mobile games and games in general are popular. That's not all, but you have the president of Konami who says they don't like any of the products they're putting out! Well......how are we going to like it, as gamers, if you don't like it! If you like what you're putting out, then we're going to like it as gamers! Now, here's a video where I believe this guy explains it really well! Here are two videos:

Now, call me crazy or whatever but I have friends who know people who used to work at Konami. So, I told my friends to ask these people if what happened to Kojima is pretty accurate and they told me you have no idea. They told me that Konami treat their employees very badly, so yeah...... I mean, that is disgusting in my opinion and I hope they go out of business 'cause as a game-maker (yes I am making a game, but I'm not going to reveal details just yet, but keep your eyes peeled for it if you want to) my number #1 priority is to treat all of my employees with respect. I want a great and friendly environment. I feel like as a boss, it is not only my duty, but my obligation to make sure that everyone is okay, not only doing the work that they're suppose to do, but to also make sure that they're okay as a person, you know what I'm saying. Also, this whole situation reminds me of what happened between Fox and Josh Trank. So, Josh Trank was directing Fantastic Four and Fox changes the entire movie behind his back, which is really rude! Why? Well, I'll tell you why. It's like this for example, so you're looking for a designer to design your house. You and the designer negotiate what designs you'll put in the house, then, you let the designer do their work! If you change your mind about something, that's fine. You negotiate with the designer, but you don't sneak in and change the design behind the designer's back. Well, that's pretty much my way of describing all of this. Like, Hideo Kojima and Konami agree what they want on Metal Gear, so Konami, you have absolutely no right to just barge in and take over his studio. Same thing with Josh Trank and Fox. Fox, you have no right to change the movie being his back! Once you agree on something, let the director do his work! I can't stress that out enough!

So, now, Kojima has left Konami and has now signed a new contract with Sony. Yeah, I get it, Sony has had a lot of hacking issues and with the e-mail leaks that revealed Sony insulting Angelina Jolie and all of that, but I can say Sony is a lot nicer than Konami. So, now, Kojima is working on a new game with Sony called Death Stranding. It also stars Norman Reed as the main character in the game! I'm so glad these two got back together to work on things together despite everything they've been through. There is also a farewell video from Kojima which I encourage you guys to watch as it is very powerful!

Now, don't get me wrong. Konami did some great stuff, like Yugioh and all of that, but now, they're just bad. I'm not gonna lie, I've had thoughts of working with Konami, but after hearing what Kojima went through with Konami, I'm never going to work with them. Right now, for me, they are the worst gaming company I've ever seen. I don't know.

Anyways, I apologize if this is really long, but that's how pissed I got hearing this and I just wanted to say something. So, anyways, let me know what you guys think of all of this!

Edited by Cool Girl

• Support Squad

I mean shit. Konami is terrible nowadays. Some people think it's because someone higher up wants off the games train to get into other markets. Thus why they're milking their current IPs for every single bit of money they can. They make companies like Ubisoft and EA tolerable.

Maybe EA and Ubsoft bribed Konami to fuck up to make themselves look better.

Whenever a company decides to do a "restructuring" to their current business model, you can bet your ass that it's all about the bean counting. One can only speculate on the details, but it's likely that Konami has seen the business model of some of its competitors and has decided to down the route of micropayments and payable DLC. This decision was almost certainly motivated by money, and Kojima was having none of it, and likely did not want to relinquish creative control over a franchise he's been the head of since the release of the first Metal Gear game.

It really is unfortunate that when a man who's been with the company for almost 35 years was so uncerimoniously let go from the company he worked for, but Kojima doesn't seem to be the type to rest on his laurels. He has remarkable business acumen and a great penchant for story-telling. He's going to be just fine. His new IP, Death Stranding, looks extremely promising and looks like a quintessential Kojima production, right down to the ripe symbolism seen in the trailer.

Then, comes PT. For those of you who don't know, PT is a teaser to a game Kojima was working on called Silent Hills. Not only was Kojima working on it, but Guillermo Del Toro was going to direct it and it was going to star Norman Reeds, the star of The Walking Dead was going to be the star in the game! So, it was going to be a great game! Then, out of nowhere, Konami decided to pull the plug on it for absolutely no reason!

Lets talk about Silent Hill for a few. Silent Hill 2 is my favourite game of all time, and Kojima's hand in that game is what made it that good. The symbolism of the enemies, the story, the atmosphere, the music.. everything in that game makes it simply a masterpiece in my mind. It's unfortunate that there hasn't been a single thing from the franchise since that has come even close to captivating my interest since. Silent Hill has been utterly mismanaged for over a decade, with each title in the series being, at best, mediocre. P.T. was to be a reboot of the franchise, with Reedus has the main character and Del Toro directing. It's not often I get excited for new releases anymore, but P.T. had me sitting on the edge of my seat from start to finish.

Then it's gone. Simply gone. Back unto the ether whence it came. Again, one can only speculate why, but it seemed with the creative control collapsing during MGSV, development for Silent Hills began to crumble along side it. This again shows Konami's utter mismanagement of now not only one, but two huge franchises helmed by one man they saw fit to terminate. Unless some explanation is given to everyone, every spiteful comment Konami receives will be deserved and then some. Their current business model is in serious question, and as a company, they need to really start controlling the damage Kojima's departure has wraught.

Also, this whole situation reminds me of what happened between Fox and Josh Trank. So, Josh Trank was directing Fantastic Four and Fox changes the entire movie behind his back, which is really rude! Why? Well, I'll tell you why. It's like this for example, so you're looking for a designer to design your house. You and the designer negotiate what designs you'll put in the house, then, you let the designer do their work! If you change your mind about something, that's fine. You negotiate with the designer, but you don't sneak in and change the design behind the designer's back. Well, that's pretty much my way of describing all of this.

The whole Fantastic Four debacle was just as much Trank's fault as it was Fox's. Fox needed to intervene on set several times due to numerous complaints lodged against Trank for not only his deplorable treatment of actors, but he and Miles Teller would often show up on set high out of their minds. Not to mention Trank's leaks to 4chan about the production of the movie, and how his dog trashed the appartment he was living in during production, and constantly going over the budget Fox provided for seemingly frivilous reasons. Trank'll likely never rebound from that, and he has only himself to blame.

Trank directing this movie was a mistake to begin with. His success with Chronicle was only as good as the writing was for that movie, and Max Landis doesn't get nearly enough credit for the movie. But I digress. Comparing Trank to Kojima is like comparing kindergarten fingerpainting to Picasso.

Edited by Antilegend

I was very upset when I heard news of Kojima being cut from konami, as around the time PT was gaining popularity. I knew that if he were to leave konami, the project Silent Hills would die, and the Silent Hill series NEEDED this game to work, or else the franchise would probably die off. Sadly it seems to have come to that, with konami making a Silent Hill pachinko machine, not only that, but they rendered Metal Gear Solid 3s cutscenes with current technology and showed it off....only for it to be in a pachinko machine. And to top it all off, the employees at the company have described working there to the likeness of an internment camp. Konami just needs to go under and/or reform everything they do.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a MGS fan for years, and when I heard what Konami did to him I was furious.

I don't know how you can treat someone that has contributed so much to your company like that. Absolutely disrespectful.

AND THEN THE MGS3 TRAILER. Oh my god. It's so obvious everything they do is for money. They don't love MGS and put their hearts into it like Kojima did, and now I'm sad, but I'm glad Kojima is on his own and making it on his own!